Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Good realistic missions?

I've been looking for missions that at least roughly equates the excellent Axe Point mission by Snypir (the one he made a tutorial on). It is still one of the better mission I've played for OFP because it tries to simulate actual mechanized infantry combat and not deviate too much into "gamey" style.

Actually I thought the official campaigns lacked a bit on this too. On far too many occasions it bogged down to "rambo" style missions or other weird stuff.

Basically what I'm looking for is a campaign or a set of missions designed to emulate real field combat with as close to life as possible platoon/company hierarchy.

CoC is of course an option but it's a bit complicated and I'm still learning. I would be happy with the typical squad leader setup smile_o.gif.

Thanks in advance

BM

You thought I missed the MOM section eh? smile_o.gif

I have checked those reviews (Axe Point is one of them).

Though I'm not sure how you see these types of missions, some like those solo/specops missions. I'm more of a team grunt type smile_o.gif.

This PMC is new though. Thanx for that one, will check it out for sure.

BM

You thought I missed the MOM section eh? smile_o.gif

I have checked those reviews.

Then you say:

Quote[/b] ]This PMC is new though.

The PMC Fury Campaign has been on the MOM section since last November. tounge_o.gif

This forum board could save a whole lot of questions, by making a sticky and a rule, that before you post any questions or even thought go check THE FAQ.

Seems like it can be the answer for about 75% of the questions :P

But back on topic,

Anmac has some good, pretty realistic missions.

Im looking for link to his site, havin some trouble finding, ill post when she found :P

That FAQ could in no way have answered this question. Should it list all scenarios trying to follow SnyPirs guidelines on how to do a realistic mission? Because that's exactly what I'm looking for. And it sure ain't easy to find them smile_o.gif.

My mistake about the campaign Avonlady, I did read many reviews though but reviews are allways subjective so I tried this specific question.

BM

This PMC campaign was a bit dissapointing (I know it's a beta but still). The Ranger campaign seems more promising so far though (but even there it's not platoon ops).

First mission. One lone ranger running about doing scouting.

Second mission. One squad inserted in the middle of a super hot LZ.

As I said before. I wish more people read SnyPirs guidelines and even more important a good Field Manual to see how army operations are carried out. Granted I only spent 7 months in the army but we never ever operated at anything less than platoon level. Never. Possibly it's different among SpecOps but not in the regular army (at least not here). Unless you are some sort of cleaning duty in the barracks or something else. Not during running excersises, weapons training, you name it. Allways the entire platoon present. And why is that? Because that's the minimum level where a fighting force is effective. Below that it's just a disarrayed fighting group.

Well it might be that some of those "assymetric forces" use different hirerarchies but that's not really interesting anyway.

It would be great if some of the better Combat Mission scenario designers decided to take up OFP. They know how to make realistic design.

Aces_kevin mentioned a FAQ. It would be a good idea to fill it up with these points smile_o.gif.

Aren't there any Seargents playing OFP? smile_o.gif.

BM

Have you tried the "Sniper Range" mission, by The Omega, available from the MOM section at The FAQ?

It's more a training mission than a combat mission but a lot of people were impressed with its realism.

Pity The Omega didn't go on to make more missions, as he discussed way back then.

Jumping onto it smile_o.gif. I did download that DF mission you raved about (CityoftheDead). Could be interesting. Although I prefer regular mechanized infantry missions to SPECOPS but the BAS pack is so well done I'm willing to forget that smile_o.gif.

Note btw that I didn't mean PMC was bad, it just didnt fit into what I am looking for. Missions doesnt even have to be fun or exciting, just an attempt to reconstruct a semi-realistic per the book operation. FDFmod has a quite good mission btw, the one set in winter where you are supposed to assault a small village. That one feels somewhat realistic (exciting too) until you end up alone in the mountains where it kinda bogs down.

Btw I didn't see ULOTC mentioned in your FAQ(except a short note). It has gotten some good reviews over at ofp.ino. It's apparently made by Officer students which in itself sounds promising.

Any opinions on that one Avon?

BM

Btw I didn't see ULOTC mentioned in your FAQ(except a short note). It has gotten some good reviews over at ofp.ino. It's apparently made by Officer students which in itself sounds promising.

Any opinions on that one Avon?

The FAQ was one of the first sites to host the ULOTC Campaign.

I had been waiting and waiting for an expected update to the campaign, which never materialized. For starters, it was to have been correctly designed as a campaign PBO and not as separate SP mission files.

It's a very nice campaign but there were supposed to be more changes so I left it as is.

Aha. He did mention in the readme that he made it due to lack of a job. Maybe he found a job? smile_o.gif. Though, OFP is more likelly to make you lose your job than getting one smile_o.gif. Addictive little toy this game.

I found this mission at OFPEC which so far looks good (it got 7/10).

Fight for Everon. It starts out very well, good establishment of LZ, nice use of combined arms etc. I especially like the briefing intro and it's use of the map. Very nice touch.

BM