Sign in to follow this  
chammy

Adding buildings

Does anyone know where I can find that tutorial on how to add buildings? unclesam.gif

You don't need any silly addon which will probably cause incompatability with your game\created missions and other's clients. I, personally, touch addons as little as possible.

You can actually add buildings legit, without any addon.

I recommend you make a mission will all the buildings for future reference. Adding a building this way, don't double click it, it wil revert back to an invisible h. If you need to rotate it, highlight it and use control\leftclick drag. Or use code in init lines to setdir.

http://membres.lycos.fr/rainbow6rs/TutoBatsEngl.htm

Hope it helps.

edit:spelling

You don't need any silly addon which will probably cause incompatability with your game\created missions and other's clients. I, personally, touch addons as little as possible.

Ummmm...that's hardly a silly addon. It would be the most commonly used of all I would imagine. And whilst it's true that you don't need it, it is fairly indespensable and small enough to package with any mission you make.

OmniMax,I use the Editor Upgrade 1.02 now and it does just fine.In fact its easier than having to open up the script in note pad,look for "h" and then type in the name,much less ,look for the name that corresponds with the building you want and putting it in the right place.At least then you can move it around like a regular object.I give alot of credit to who ever made that editor.

Check out the Barracks add-on as well. Simply great for base building. If not only for the very descriptive icons you get (unlike those silly question marks)

BM

heh heh

OmniMax,I use the Editor Upgrade 1.02 now and it does just fine.In fact its easier than having to open up the script in note pad,look for "h" and then type in the name,much less ,look for the name that corresponds with the building you want and putting it in the right place.At least then you can move it around like a regular object.I give alot of credit to who ever made that editor.

Easier yes. It being an addon, it probably requires everybody else to have it like any other addon (to play your missions for example) unless it is client-side only.

Opening notepad isn't so bad. I guess coding in any langauge must be death, since you have to use a text editor.

Heh, heh, indeed, my good friend.

biggrin_o.gifcrazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

Yes. Those extra 64kb will break most bandwidths.

At least those like me who uses telegraph based modems.

BM

BM

Addons are not sent via map transfer in game if a host starts a server and decides to play a mission you do not have. Atleast, to my knowledge.

- om

Yep....that's correct.

BM

Addons are not sent via map transfer in game if a host starts a server and decides to play a mission you do not have. Atleast, to my knowledge.

- om

Well yes but since most (good) mp servers uses add-ons anyway it wont make much difference.

I mean if I download FDFMod I wont break from downloading EditorUpgrade.pbo smile_o.gif (well I would since I use a telegraph but most wont)

BM

I don't get whats going on here.You mean when using the editor addon ,it is much harder for others to use if you do a mp mission and etc.? rock.gif

It's like all other add-ons. The user requires them in order to play with them.

I personally don't think add-ons weighing around 50-200kb should cause much trouble to anyone. Unless you are totally fanatic about not using add-ons then I don't see the problem.

I can understand avoiding add-ons that doesnt add anything to the mission. That is a perfectly valid complaint. Add-ons that doesnt enhance the missions value or help bring it forward should be avoided (ie pointless cars, the millionth mp5 mod etc). That is also why I prefer complete add-on/mod packs instead of zillions of guns, planes etc that rarelly brings any enhancement to the mission. Unless you design for your own use and just want to try various equipment.

BM

Thats true. Thats one reason why in a way,I wish I can use alot of different units and weapons but then you'd have to make sure people have these mods. So when you publish a mission you can just create a folder to put the addons in for others to download wwith the mission?

Yeah. Just add this to the readme.txt

"Put editorupgrade.pbo to your AddOns folder"

Or. Make a directory structure that puts everything in the right place if you extract it to the OFP folder.

BM

Woohoo!!!

OmniMax is right. Many players have never heard about ofp sites or addons. If they go on a server they can play missions without addons only (still plenty of those around, and get ones too wink_o.gif ). If you start a mission even containing the editorupdate only they will crash from the server as they don't have the editorupdate. I see it every day on my server (with some 100mb of addons wink_o.gif ).

This doesn't mean that i am against using the editorupdate. I have it installed anyway and some of my players went as far as to say that whoever doesn't have it installed as a player must be such a newbie that it would be no fun to play with them anyway wink_o.gif

But OmniMax has a point, that there will be players who will crash out of missions because they don't have (and don't even know of) the editorupdate.

BTW: you definitively want to use editorupDATE102, not editorupGRADE.

But OmniMax has a point, that there will be players who will crash out of missions because they don't have (and don't even know of) the editorupdate.

BTW: you definitively want to use editorupDATE102, not editorupGRADE.

I think BIS should update the internal editor for things like buildings etc so we don't need unofficial addons or use less unofficial.

Simple addon, with buildings, bushes, etc.