Sign in to follow this  
jens198

Adding my own *.p3d files in visitor world?

Hi folks,

any chance too add my own (selfmade) p3d files in a world created with Visitor? I saw another thread on adding the objetcs from the o.pbo in visitor, but I can't figure it out what those guys really did.

cu

Jens

hm,

I found a hint by Col Klink:

"Custom objects made by other addon makers will have to be unpbo'd using unpbo.exe and the subsequent addon folder (created by unpbo.exe) will have to be placed on the same drive as your unpboed O, Data3d, Eden, Cain, etc folders.. See my short explanation on this page.http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....9;st=30"

Changed my Settings for Natural, Artifical Objetcs and Forests from c:\bulldozer\Data3d to c:\bulldozer\

Now I can add Objetcs from all other unpbo'ed files in the tool settnigs, but they don't show up in bulldozer. BTW all other objects already set with the old settungs (c:\bulldozer\Data3d) are vanished from the map.

So, my question is: What's the proper way to add objetcs from other pbos to a existing map with the settings above?

Jens

Ah, got it working!

Thanks to Col. Klink and the other guys.

Jens

Jen, would be helpfull if you could tell us how ya got it working m8 as this could be a benefit to all the others out there having problems with visitor. Pretty pleaaaaaase biggrin_o.gif

I think it's basicly making a substitue drive for all the PBO's you want to use. make a file called buldrive(or whatever) in 'Notepad', write in it:

SUBST Z: C:\buldozer

Save it as: buldrive.bat

Make sure you use the 'all files' option when saving, don't save it as a 'text file'...

You can make it start up when you boot by using 'autoexe.bat' in the 'System Configuration Utility' (in Start\Programs\Accessories\System~Tools\System~Information\Tools) select 'new' and type in the name of the file, eg: 'buldrive.bat' and tick the box on the left. Next time the PC boots it'll start the 'Z: drive' automaticly, so you don't have to double~click on the 'buldrive.bat' file everytime you want to start it smile_o.gif ...

Create a folder called c:\yourPath\yourFolderName

and put the following in it....

1. All buldozer files and dlls

2. The following folders :

Bin

Data

Data3d

Fonts

LandTex (I dont know it this was a folder I made mucking about)

O

Users

Worlds

3. Your island folder

4. Your custom addon folder (ie unPbo'ed folder)

Now you need to set up the Z: drive you need make a batch file somewhere.

This is just a txt file with the following code in it altered to suit your filepath. Enter the code and save as 'preVisitor.bat'.

subst z: "c:\yourpath\yourFolderName"

note: you need the ""

Now you need to set Visitor up

In the options:

Basic: c:\path to visitor folder (eg c:\visitor)

Textures: z:\yourIslandFolder or your texture folder

Nature: z:\

Artificial: z:\

Roads: z:\

World Files: z:\yourIslandFolder

note: you can only get textures from one .pbo AFAIK

And that should do you nicely

When you look for objects you will see all the available ones in all subfolders in the z:\ folder

data\1st.p3d

data\z.p3d

yourAddonFolder\1st.pbo

Good luck

Im having the problem of the objects showing up in visitor but not actually being textured.  Anyone know what im doing wrong?  These are all custom built objects by the way.

Well the addon textures should be in

z:\youraddonfoldername

I dont know if they can be in a subdirectory or not. Certainly mine are in

scjPak02 is a binarized pbo. I have unpbo'ed it into the root z: (actually c:\buldozer\scjPak02)

z:\scjPak02\*.p3d

z:\scjPak02\*.pac

and models and textures work fine.

Mine was not having the Data3D unPBO'd, what are you 'system preferences' in visitor pointing to?...

This is really getting up my nose now lol. I will tell you what i have. I have a z drive with o2 and the veiwer plus my ukf_bas folder which has the textures and the pew of the island im making. Here is the screen of z drive layout

z_drive.jpg

I have built a Island (on C:\buldozer\basra) but moved it into Z\ukf_bas with the textures i used too. but now that i load the island up it is all white and when trying to texture it either using tga format textures or the pac textures i got from the C:bulbozer\basra it still comes up as being white. Will i have to move the whole of visitor to Z: drive or am i just being dumb and getting some small detail wrong? All i want is the darn objects i create in o2 to work and be textured in visitor. Why is it such a pain in the arse to do such a thing that should be as simple as sticking the p3d in the data3d folder and pac in the data folder of visitor and then having a nice textured object in your nice little island crazy_o.gif

Oh here is my prefs that are set in visitor

vis.jpg

Sorted problem of textures on the island (all i did was move the whole of visitor to the Z: drive and change the pref path to Z:Visitor2 still having problems with custom things not being textured but i will keep continuing with it

Island is sorted. Now my textured objects aint working. So can anyone put it in simpleton terms for me biggrin_o.gif Ok say i make a box with wooden textures where would i first have to place the textures and the p3d files? and then how would i get visitor to actually load the textured object into the island i made? I have posted screens of where things are so i hope that helps please someone help. I've pulled me hair out and im totally bald due to this problem wow_o.gif

Just put

Z:\

in the lines that are 'nature objects' 'artificial objects' and 'forrests and roads'. All your objects should be visible then (I think!! wink_o.gif )...

You know how to make your 'Z:' drive start up automaticly at bootup? How to add/edit an 'autoexe.bat' item to 'system configuration'? It's in the path:

Sysytem Information\Tools\System Configuration\Autoexe.bat

I can only get one virtualdrive to start per boot though sad_o.gif . I want a seperate one for O2...

Yes put z:\

and then when you try to add an object the list will be

data3d\aaaaa.p3d

data3d\zzzzzz.p3d

uk_oilp20\aaaaaa.p3d

uk_oilp20\zzzzzz.p3d

and it should work OK smile_o.gif

Nice one m8y, thats sorted it totally. Thx for your help it was the only thing from getting the project done and i will now have to work full steam ahead now wink_o.gif Come visit Project United Kingdom Forces

sometime. We are a mod group dedicated to making UK units. Thx again biggrin_o.gif

I like the idea of making British units (being a brit meself like!), but I'm not keen on the intention of making current issue items only sad_o.gif . And making it another Iraq based mod really dissapoints me. Please!, please!, release woodland camoflauge variants as well!, and some european theatre maps. The British Army (and the US) have been geared for a europian war since 1945 hav'nt they? Most desert stuff is bodged/cobbled together to do it's best?(slap a filter here, some yellow paint there and those melting boots go down there! biggrin_o.gif )...

I'd really like to see British unit's from 1938 up to the present (38~45, ect, what was used in the conflict of the time)...

Are you posting any pics of your work in progress yet?, I'll go have a peek! tounge_o.gif ...

Heres a picture of the quality that is the addons. As for making the other units its all down to the team what is done, as i just came in to help build the island and thought id try a hand at o2 and 3dmax too. inf_1.jpg