Sign in to follow this  
ThruYerStErNuM

Unscripted war

Well reading about this really got me interested. So I downloaded the Nam pack, F4, and last but not least the mission. Ok it seems interesting enough.

I have two problems though. One when ever I do the click then alt click it makes a box, but then when I hit shift an click for the waypoint nothing happens? I end up having to make waypoints with the radio. So it works but it's tedious.

The second is the F4. When ever I call it in or try to preview the stupid plane in the editor I get a p3d magic something error. What gives?

Be sure to hold down shift for a second before you click and then hold the click for a second, it might be just the game is running slowly. And you probably got the wrong F4 addon, just dont use the f4 option when the game starts.

ahaha this keeps getting dug up, isnt there some rule about that? Anyway I'll tell you all what I'm doing. I know cornhelium cares, the guy who beat this when not even I have, I've burnt out a lot of hardware playing flashpoint. Anyway most of what I said before is getting done... Over the year since I first released this, I have learned a lot of computer science and proper programming in my first year of college here.

Huge changes to all the scripts, the biggest changes being in AI and getting a robust and versatile system that can be used in any theatre of war, and also good for multiplayer. I was trying hard to get a modern unscripted war done for the mission competition, but even at this pace it would probably take another week to get anything playable out of the pseudo scripts I have now, so once the buzz from those missions die down, I may give you a sp/coop version that uses selectable addon packages. (including not requiring addons)

I can safely say that last year I tried to do too much and couldnt get anything together. The old mission is like a little concept test compared to what I have now, it's really a war the player doesnt even need to participate in anymore. I could make a camera script that follows around the action, and you could watch it like a war movie. Once all the new scripts are done, it will be extremely easy to port to all islands and incorporate all addons, and I'll make instructions for doing that.

But these words of mine mean nothing until I get something released... so stop playing this old crap and let the thread die

edit: I realize I have been thinking about this mission for the last %10 of my life crazy_o.gif it had better turn out half decent

Go, Thru, go!

Don't worry - it'll be more than decent if it's any better than version 1.

I found a newer version of the F4 and it works fine now. Sorry for bringing this thread back up. It's just if I would of started a new thread I would have gotten yelled at for not using the existing one. It's always sort of a catch 22 when posting here.

Well looking forward to the new version. I think you got an exellent concept going here.

Well I've had a whole day to try it out now.

It seems to have a lot of bugs. I have to issue all orders by the radio, which isn't that big of deal if you use the one on the map screen. The problem though is I'll give a group a way point then click move to waypoints and they do it some times and others they simply wont.

Another big problem is logistics. It is a pain in the ass to resupply the AI squads. I've been using traditional command and then ordering them to scavenge ammo and arms one by one. Problem with that is squad leaders can't be ordered to do anything.

Other annoyances,

1. The action menu ends up getting spammed with tens if not hundreds of "Traditional command off" options. Scrolling through them all just to get to a "board UH1 as cargo" is a total exercise in frustration.

2. It's very difficult to get another squad to board a vehicle to drive to an objective.

3. The troops simply don't want to listen to waypoint orders. They are content to just sit idle and not move an inch.

All that said I am looking forward to the next version more than any other addon or mission combined. I love the concept and I think it is executed with pure genius. The thing I have always wished this game had was a dynamic campaign like the enemy engaged series. Thunder you seem up to the task. I can't fault you for any of the bugs for it was the first version. You are a total pioneer, and I wish you the greatest success with the update.

When can we expect to see it? Though I cannot wait to try it, don't mistake me for being impatient. I would rather you take your time so that it is as polished as possible. Just curious on how it's coming along.

man, ive just tried it a while ago.. All i can say is that the air/mortar strikes are badass! nothin like spotting em, marking the map, and see em die in front of ya..  biggrin_o.gif Havnt tried the other stuff though because my game crashed when i loaded the autosave..

The only thing which i personally didnt like too much is the complexity of the menus, IMO, there's too much stuff to do in the radio options menu that it kinda takes u away from the "fun" of having combat in the game. I know that you're striving for realism but perhaps u can make it a bit more user-friendly in a way.. Like for example minimize the fire support down the either just plain F4 airstrike and 81mm mortar fire. In this way i wouldnt have too much trouble reading all the options while im in the heat of battle.

There's no harm in bringing this thread up every now and then, this mission has not been surpassed or made obsolete as far as I'm aware so it's still perfectly valid, no point creating a new thread when this one contains so many questions and answers smile_o.gif

Wow-just discovered this, and its awesome. Definately alot of fun-but it can be improved. The most clear problems IMO are with vehciles and choppers-AI is pretty dumb when comes to transport choppers. There needs to be some sort of simplified point-and-click chopper pickup and dropoff system.

man, ive just tried it a while ago.. All i can say is that the air/mortar strikes are badass! nothin like spotting em, marking the map, and see em die in front of ya..  biggrin_o.gif Havnt tried the other stuff though because my game crashed when i loaded the autosave..

The only thing which i personally didnt like too much is the complexity of the menus, IMO, there's too much stuff to do in the radio options menu that it kinda takes u away from the "fun" of having combat in the game. I know that you're striving for realism but perhaps u can make it a bit more user-friendly in a way.. Like for example minimize the fire support down the either just plain F4 airstrike and 81mm mortar fire. In this way i wouldnt have too much trouble reading all the options while im in the heat of battle.

in combat you dont just point at the enemy you want arty to fall on...

you have to use skill to make the canon cockers fire where you want.

rifle or radio, how close are they? it should be a task to call in support, so the player does not take it for granted.

Yes, i understand that.. i was just saying that it would be better if he could just limit the fire support down to 1 kind of mortar and 1 kind of air support instead of choosing all those other kinds.

First post here, hi.

Anyway, this mod is execellent but I've encountered some bugs/problems also.

1: When I try to load an autosave sometimes the game crashes back to the desktop and says it has some type of error about loading the file.

2:Sometimes when I order my men to patrol or move they just freeze there, and don't move for a longggg time.

3:One time when I switched with the leader to one squad then switched back to Kilo Pink, 2 was in command and I couldn't command them anymore.

4: It's kind of tedious trying to organize helo assaults because of the command system/ai. I hope in the next release I can just order a transport helo to pick up a squad, drop them off, then return to base.

5:(Not really a problem but a question) Where do I get NV goggles in Plei Mei from. sad_o.gif

Great mod man, I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, all I beg for is the transport interface to be easier and I'll be playing OFP for a longggg time. smile_o.gif

IIRC the author says he's working on a complete overhaul of Unscripted War...he's pretty much said don't bother playing the old ones anymore since the new version will be very different with lots of fixes.

Can't wait for it biggrin_o.gif

wait and well have it. Buts that island did look sexy. One day it'll be realeased

Yeah sorry I havent had the time lately to show results, I can tell you all that since I last spoke, I got a second computer, so multiplayer testing is much easier now... and its pretty much implemented in the bigger scale in the mission now, but lots of little scripts have to be finished to fit everything together. I remember last year I thought i'd have time at thanksgiving to get way more stuff done than I did, but this year I'm giving myself more time over the christmas holiday too to work on this stuff.

There will be 'gameplay type' addons used, which are essentially information that the game uses to know what addons to use in the game, and how to use the addons to make them fit in to the game realistically. Basically, any type of war can be simulated with any addon, by following a simple template and inputting information about the units and scripts to be used. Also, many game scripts will be kept in an addon, so that you can make your own version of the mission and not have to update anything if I release an update to the core addon. In multiplayer, the players may have the option of voting, at the start of the mission, on what addons will be used for the game.

I have thought a lot about what an ideal simulation environment is, not just for flashpoint. I've typed up lots of thoughts on this, I might give out some of them soon to help make dynamic gameplay scripts more useable by all those people making dynamic missions. Of course I'm mostly thinking ahead for flashpoint 2 here, a reason I'm not rushing to release anything. I am actually more excited about world war 2 in unscripted war now than vietnam... however...

The Unsung team has been doing some great stuff, and while I will try to continue to work on vietnam addons, I've decided that what I wanted to do with my vietnam island would take too much work to get done soon, so it's put off to the side. Go play half life 2 you guys, flashpoint's time will come around again soon enough.

EDIT: awh what the heck, heres some screenshots from an older unscripted war mission, highly unpolished, I played through a few weeks back, with default BIS units. The cool thing to think about is, that this was all in the same mission play through, in about a 2 hour period (if i remember right). but it wasnt well balanced enough to be very fun so dont get upset.

dxdshot1094930909.jpg

dxdshot1094891047.jpg

dxdshot1094932974.jpg

dxdshot1094933145.jpg

i died in petrovice

I have thought a lot about what an ideal simulation environment is, not just for flashpoint. I've typed up lots of thoughts on this, I might give out some of them soon to help make dynamic gameplay scripts more useable by all those people making dynamic missions. Of course I'm mostly thinking ahead for flashpoint 2 here, a reason I'm not rushing to release anything. I am actually more excited about world war 2 in unscripted war now than vietnam... however...

I'd very much like to see what you have in mind. Dynamic campaigns are one of my biggest requests for OFP2, even though I seem to remember Marek saying that they'd do a normal scripted campaign (which honestly holds very little interest for me - the only campaign I ever played through to the end because it was so much fun was the ROC Mod's Taiwain campaign).

Quote[/b] ]heres some screenshots from an older unscripted war mission, highly unpolished, I played through a few weeks back, with default BIS units.

I want one with default BIS units!

Check out the development blog on his site:

http://www.waskosky.com/

Left frame -> development blog.

Progress is apparantly still being made...last entry was 12 days ago.

Quote[/b] ]My goal is to have this ready to help make all the best flashpoint addons quickly ported to flashpoint 2 missions right after flashpoint 2 comes out in 2006, but you can expect an Unscripted War for Resistance sometime this year of course, sometime.

Kewl unclesam.gif

Quote[/b] ]Check out the development blog on his site:

http://www.waskosky.com/

Left frame -> development blog.

Finding this site gives me a warm feeling inside biggrin_o.gif

Some incredible work going on here. Keep it up, Thru!

The F4 download links I've tried are no longer working. Could someone please assist me on this?

THANK YOU!