Sign in to follow this  
ThruYerStErNuM

Unscripted war

Instead of giving up, why don't you two just sit down together and work on the scripts together? You have some great ideas there and even if you consider yourself to not be that good, I'm sure you can help this guy immensely, I am amazed at how much he has done all by himself!

Projects like this are amazing, pushing the boundaries of OFP even further, increasing the life expectancy of the game and giving you a new experience even though its the same game. We have come a long way from driving around in a truck and taking Morton smile_o.gif

sorry to drag this topic from the depths of the forum, but i am really intrested in any progress that has been made

I delayed the release of the island quite a bit, as noted in the a&m:d forums. BUT it would be very easy for me to release a new single player user mission to let you in on the new gameplay. Lets say, one week after BAS releases there new island, I'll release a version for seb ia drang valley, the latest meekong, and the BAS island. In other words, I can have it ready by Oct 18th.

I've been getting new great ideas on how to improve performance dramatically which should be implemented by then, however multiplayer support won't be fully added in, although a lot of MP code will be there for you to look at.

Thanks for the ideas ])rStrangelove but keep in mind the new game will not be score based, it will be more mission based so that everyone in an MP game can have a consistently fun time. So it's realistic vietnam gameplay rather than point based. I believe that choosing realism is always best - as long as the realism used is correctly chosen to be the funnest parts of real life and as long as the implementation allows for the most seamless transition between what the player wants to happen (based on what should be done in real life) and what happens on screen.

Edit: Fried processor, fried power supply, maybe it's just stupid to make release dates.

Yep, i also changed my point of view regarding realism since i played some vietnam LANs now. Ppl seem to take a mission more seriously when they can't just read how many *points/whatever* their base has right now.

Therefore i changed all my ideas regarding points to create a more realistic feedback for the players.

For example, players now don't have 'money' or something - when calling for artillery support, the script still calculates your points, but only for background purposes. Players only get a (realistic) message that support is either underway or not available right now. Much better.

Many ideas can be changed that way.

I also made a script that creates 10 vc caches hidden near villages and farms on IaDrang. When players destory caches, the overall vietcong group strenght is decreased. Although not noticable at first, players might get the feeling that vc activity gets 'lighter' the more caches they destroy.

TYS, this is incredible - thanks  wow_o.gif

Now that 1.94b has fixed my SebNam freezes, I've been up 'til 6AM with 1.01 for IaDrang. (Took a week off work to study - oh dear  ghostface.gif  )  smile_o.gif

I have very little time now, but expect a new version -soon- for the existing islands. No more release dates, too many things on my computer burn out unpredictably. The new version will not require full control of your forces, will have LZs automatically set up and reinforcements automatically sent in, so you can just blast away. The new version will also contain randomly generated foliage that will be used on my new island - these objects are much larger than the existing foliage objects, so less of them will need to be generated for the same effect, so naturally you'll get increased performance.

Quote[/b] ]

I've been up 'til 6AM with 1.01 for IaDrang

So is it possible to actually beat the mission? You may have already played it more than me.

As mentioned on the mod discussion topic, donate through PayPal.com unclesam.gif for guaranteed faster releases. Donate to mwaskosk@uci.edu

ThruYerStErNuM,

I love your mission/mod smile_o.gif, question: how do I change the time compression in the script ?  it is going way too fast.  I think each each 30sec=1min is more resonable.

Or, how about during daylight hours, the time clock move twice as fast as real time. But during night hours the clock moves 4 times as fast, and there is no skip to 6am, which althought aconvenience, I think it is sort of a cheat. The VC and NVA are more likely to use night time to assault US position.

Edit:

Also, on Jungle Everon and Jungle Malden, I get missing seb addons messages.  The Ia_drang map works without a problem.  I place sebnam addons in a separate folder.  I even make a copy and place sebnam addons in \operationflashpoint\addons folder and still the error messages pop up.  Any solution to this problem?

One nagging I have as a squad leader is ammo management.  Is there a scrip / commmand I can tell the guys in my squad to rearm ammo  by picking up them from dead bodies, ammo box, If they are not near an ammo truck.  It would be wonderfull is let say the soldier has only one mag left in his weapon, or one AT rocket left, he will automatically search the immediate area for additional ammo, if no additional ammo is found for his weapon, he report ammo low, and you as the squad leader can manually tell him weapon to pickup as a replacement, Or he can automatically pickup a weapon, of the same class, from nearby dead bodies/ammo box.

Lamerlot

Hi TYS,

Agree with Lamerlot on the day/night cycle - I personally feel about half of the current speed (ie. 15x) would be right. At 30x it can sometimes feel a bit "Knightlore"! (There's one for the oldies  biggrin_o.gif  ) Would it be possible for the player to select the day/night speed on that initial options screen?

A scale slider for the amount of manned/unmanned vehicles would be great too. I seem to get a big FPS boost when I disable random vehicles, but it would be a nice balance to have just a very few vehicles roving around at the start.

Lastly, in the new version, could you include support for Footmunch's great new Phantom please?

Otherwise, it's hard to criticize this incredible work.

Cheers - cornhelium

Yeah theres a bunch of little options and little ai scripts that I could add, I'll add those mentioned.

Lamerlot I don't know about your addon problems. But Jungle Everon and Jungle Malden aren't worth playing with the SEB crash gone in 1.94, so I wont even add support for those.

I considered making nights very short early on, but I couldn't help remembering all those vets on the history channel talking about how long they remember the nights were. If you don't like it there's a skip to morning option in the misc menu.

ThruYerStErNuM,

I look forward to your next version. The reason I play jungle everon and malden because they both are less lag than idrang map. While I get those missing sebnam error messages, the mission stills seem to be working ! I will keep playing thou.

About the time progression, can you please tell me how and where I in the scrip I can change the number so time progress more slowly ?

Also in the command view menu there is an option to slow down time 0.4x, is it possible to change this to let say 0.7 ? I am a bit slow and realtime is a bit too fast for this old gamer.

Thank for creating such a wonder mod/mission.

Lamerlot

For my own personal use I ripped out the music, accelerated time, the foliage and I believe the OFPEC blood addon (the stuff I dont like). Now when turning the enemy levels down to 50% it runs even smooth on my 1.3ghz, 512mb ram, gforce 2 macho machine.

Yes! This is what I'm talking about!

I was waiting for something like this. Karillion touched a bit on this concept with the ability to play against ai with his RTS missions, I noticed something about that Skye/nogova virus having dynamically created and directed ai or something.

Any plans to make some for the stock ofp maps?

This opens up a whole new avenue of possibilities. Sounds like the ofp community is one step closer to making a Jagged alliance style mission where you take territories, raise militia in towns and enemy troops are issued to patrol and reclaim and exterminate resistance.

I like the idea of being able to be just one low ranking soldier however. Although I'm a control freak and I like being able to manage many units at once... you can't really do that reliably and actually... play. So it'd be cool for once to play as one guy in a large scale, ever-changing battlefield.

@snake man what do you need to get rid of the blood and foliage without crippling the mission? I don't want that stuff either.

Snakeman,

Please let me know how did you change the time and others that you list. Thanks.

Lamerlot

ThruYerStErNuM's missions are great but man... lag city. I think if he doesn't there should be like an unofficial guide to tell people how to trim the fat off this hog. It might be playable for those with average machines. Granted I haven't tweaked anything yet.

The music. Accelerated time, the other non essential things like blood and foliage don't do much for me. do the scripts automatically change drawdistance? I keep mine at default and default is where I want it.

;EVEN THOUGH these scripts may appear like stupid excess processor

hogs, I believe they are all

; necessary for best gameplay

No, heh ... framerate... is necessary for best gameplay.

About blood, foliage, music, etc... It was just commenting them out of the init.sqs and also removing the addon names from the mission.sqm so I dont have to keep the addons installed in OFP. I guess they are still available in the starting menu and if you select them, all kinds of errors if not even crash occurs.

After mission start I immediately go to the options (or what was it again) and choose the enemy levels for 50% which is the smallest you can have I believe. Then I can enjoy the mission fully smile_o.gif

Snakeman,

I am a newbie to script editing but I follow what you just said. But where can I change the real time clock so 30sec=1min, for example.

Lamerlot

temp fix, sorry im very busy now cant finish up mission yet, replace the contents of time.sqs with this:

Quote[/b] ]

all = []

@options

_timefactor = 30

_x = 3 / multiplier

_t = (_timefactor) * (_x*(1/3600))

_tim = time + (25 / multiplier)

#l

?onmission: goto "l"

skiptime _t

timeskipped = timeskipped + _t

~_x

?_tim < time: goto "l2"

goto "l"

#l2

_tim = time + (25 / multiplier)

_e = list everything

all = all - _e

all = all + _e

goto "l"

and change the _timefactor value to 2 rather than the default 30. Havent tested it yet but it looks like should work.

ThruYerStErNuM,

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer my plead smile_o.gif

Lamerlot

One question... did it work? Personally I'd like to see a stripped down version of this thing (eventually). I'm kind of wary of even trying it again.

ThruYerStErNuM,

About the victory conditions, I am a bit confuse as to how do you win by controlling the island ? Do I have to go to each major town and clear out the enemy ?. In areas with the red circle zone, if I patrol the circle area and kill all enemy, will the red circle disappears ? I notice that in the area immediately south of the main base, the red zone disappears after my squad recon the area. But in other red zone after sending my squad, it would not disappears. Is it a bug or am I missing something.

Lamerlot

If I request armored vehicles with crew they never appear. Only empty vehicles. If I have six squads then I do not receive any squads when I request. There is a message that they are on the way but they just do not appear