Sign in to follow this  
tobalt

Weapon jamming

I mean..come on... You can't expect to fire a heavy machine gun and not expect the barrels to overheat or the chamber to jam. This would help encourage 'newbies' to burst fire the gun, not hold down the fire button for kingdom come.

There is absolutely no reason why this can't be scripted for OFP1. In fact, unless memory serves me wrong, someone already has. If they haven't...well, it's not too difficult. wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

I really like the jamming in AAO and the overheating in wolfenstein. would be great to see them in OFP 2.

To be honest, jamming is just a pain in the *ss that just creates irritation. It also adds a random element which helps players who do not play with a plan or tactic, just rush head on.

Besides, modern weapons are not that prone to jamming. I've seen a machinegun fired until the barrel was bright red without jamming.

Not all mods/addons for OFP use modern weapons smile_o.gif

Sure, but they can still script it. If you can make a reasonably interresting mod, scripting jams should be easy.

Say you were making a mod which had civilians/militia using weapons. They might be older weapons, poorly maintained...and therefore more prone to jamming.

Now isn't that an interesting thought wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Then you would all come crying how your M16A1 jammed while you were about to shoot a newby in MP game and you got shot in the face instead, i like the idea if there is a specific reason for the weapon to jam like overheating or something, just dont make it random, would you like to die in a MP firefight because you were unlucky hmm rock.gif .

Then you would all come crying how your M16A1 jammed while you were about to shoot a newby in MP game and you got shot in the face instead, i like the idea if there is a specific reason for the weapon to jam like overheating or something, just dont make it random, would you like to die in a MP firefight because you were unlucky hmm rock.gif .

Whining about it wouldn't be too smart. Shit happens. Soldiers get killed 'cause of weapon malfunctions in RL too.

It could be a server side option so you wouldn't have to deal with weapon jams if you didn't want to.

To be quite honest, I think that the ammo restrictions makes the point of avoiding excessive firing just fine.

The only weapons where ammo is not such a big problem is sniper rifles and machine guns, and neither is very prone to jamming.

Face it, OFP is not a "full auto-game".

As a left-field suggestion, it could be made so that weapons captured from dead / blown-up / crushed / mangled troops are less reliable than those you carry into battle (if reliability *were* implemented, the player would immediately try to pick up a Kalashnikov, and this suggestion would limit that impulse).

Reliability could be implemented in a similar way to the 'heal at medic' command; you clean your weapon, and it will be guaranteed to work flawlessly for a certain length of time, after which random misfires and jams creep into the equation. As in real life it would give the player something to do when about to enter battle (I remember well playing 'Half-Life' for the first time, and religious reloading all my weapons before going around the next corner).

This would presumably be a 'veteran' mode checkbox.

Reliability could be implemented in a similar way to the 'heal at medic' command; you clean your weapon, and it will be guaranteed to work flawlessly for a certain length of time, after which random misfires and jams creep into the equation. As in real life it would give the player something to do when about to enter battle (I remember well playing 'Half-Life' for the first time, and religious reloading all my weapons before going around the next corner).

amen

my friend watched this program called ak47 vs M16

and apparently the m16 jammed in vietnam just cuz of it clogging up with mud!

and apparently they used condoms to make it so no mud got in

is it true?

if so

can we have it so you need to take a condom everywhere with you?

ROFL!!! so which is more lethal? something you get from an asian whore or jammed gun in the middle of VC biggrin_o.gif