Gyu7

Can 200 players comfortably play in one session?

First of all, I'm a non-English speaking player, so I'm relying on a translator since my English skills are terrible. (Translating using Naver’s Papago.) 

I'm trying to help famous Korean streamers enjoy Arma 3. In Korea, Arma 3 had a lot of difficulty accessing various information as the number of people active in it decreased significantly due to the DDoS incident that lasted about two years. (I feel infinite envy for those whose native language is English.)

This streamer continues to enjoy Arma 3 with his fans and other streamers. In 2022, about 80 people gathered to enjoy the simplified King of the Hill, and in 2023 and at the end of March this year, about 80 people gathered in Altis and Tanoa to enjoy the marathon. 

Before enjoying content focused on war and combat, research is needed on server problems and optimization, but it is difficult to get help from the Korean community because such a large server has never been serviced in Korea. 

Our goal is to have 100+ people in one session playing PvP, and I was wondering if I could get some help. 

Q1. Would using TFAR or ACRE rather than Arma 3's VON reduce the burden on the server? 

Q2. I saw a topic saying that increasing server bandwidth can reduce desynchronization. Is this still valid? And what is the maximum? 

Q3. How much will the frame rate drop when 100+ players battle across the area?

Please understand that I have too many questions. I hope you have a nice day. 🙂

Add, I think I picked the wrong topic. This is my mistake as I am not familiar with the forum. 

make sure to reach out also on arma discord <https://discord.gg/arma> in the server admins channel; also the "european arma events" discord has very experienced admins <https://discord.gg/4Cyvkmk>

1) most likely but others can speak from actual experience

2) both discords should help with that

3) depends very much on factors like all players in same area or not, number and type of vehicles used, use of scripts and mods, etc

RedBear (RU community) does/did 150-200 player PvP no respawn events - high count is doable but requires careful setup and good preparation

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 8:43 PM, Gyu7 said:

First of all, I'm a non-English speaking player, so I'm relying on a translator since my English skills are terrible. (Translating using Naver’s Papago.) 

I'm trying to help famous Korean streamers enjoy Arma 3. In Korea, Arma 3 had a lot of difficulty accessing various information as the number of people active in it decreased significantly due to the DDoS incident that lasted about two years. (I feel infinite envy for those whose native language is English.)

This streamer continues to enjoy Arma 3 with his fans and other streamers. In 2022, about 80 people gathered to enjoy the simplified King of the Hill, and in 2023 and at the end of March this year, about 80 people gathered in Altis and Tanoa to enjoy the marathon. 

Before enjoying content focused on war and combat, research is needed on server problems and optimization, but it is difficult to get help from the Korean community because such a large server has never been serviced in Korea. 

Our goal is to have 100+ people in one session playing PvP, and I was wondering if I could get some help. 

Q1. Would using TFAR or ACRE rather than Arma 3's VON reduce the burden on the server? 

Q2. I saw a topic saying that increasing server bandwidth can reduce desynchronization. Is this still valid? And what is the maximum? 

Q3. How much will the frame rate drop when 100+ players battle across the area?

Please understand that I have too many questions. I hope you have a nice day. 🙂

Add, I think I picked the wrong topic. This is my mistake as I am not familiar with the forum. 

Q1. Not sure, but probably not. 
Q2. Arma has to sync an exceptionally large amount of data between the server and client. It's not so much the bandwidth these days as it is that the systems Arma was programmed to work on didn't have things like 3d vcache, and multicore processing wasn't anywhere near what it is today. Arma mostly runs on a single core, where clock speed, ram, network and vcache are king.
Q3. That's impossible to answer unless you can somehow predict what players (or AI for that matter) are going to be doing at every exact moment during a match. That said, C4G recently held an event for KOTH servers that saw them increase the playercount to 150 on some servers. People complained, and there was an increase in desync, but not enough that I was personally bothered by it. That's the thing though. I have a 7800x3d, and I use a custom memalloc. Generally in the AO on a full infantry server, I can get 60 mostly solid fps if my viewdistance is lowered to around  1500-1000. VD down to 200 gets me 100+. There's also a public King of the Hill server maintained by Dwarden, iirc. That has something like 150 player slots. It's rarely full but when it is, it can be an interesting experience. Check it out if you can. All that is to say that your client's fps will largely be a result of their own hardware. Making a blazingly fast, state of the art server with space lasers still wouldn't overcome the limits of outdated client hardware. 

@Gyu7 you have to forget Livonia and Tanoa for the terrains