Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

New bas thread

Sometimes I wonder....It's like I'm speaking to a brick wall...

Back on topic.. well im sorry but this thread cant possibly stay on topic without asking about the addons so here shoot me...

Will there be an Unsilenced Mp5 for the delta's to use?

Will the flags that appear on the Rangers/Delta's have backwards USA Flags? (Or when we manually add the flags will they appear backwards?)

And Handguns question ANSWERED plzz anyone from BAS??

oh and by the way.. the rangers look incredible.. havent heard anything on the Mh-6's lately... hope their only waiting on soars too.

Hey, who wants to be a mod maker now?

We 56ker's who love the game value every bit of precious bandwidth we can get, and that tends to make us appeciate stuff.

I downloaded a couple of artillery related addons that looked interesting. They were, but I felt they were woefully underpowered and lacking in some effects. So did I go and rant and scream? No, I grabbed DePBO and set to work to see what I could do. Luckily, the released p3d's had not been binarized, so I could look at the models, figure out how they did things, so I could make models too. I chopped through the code and tweaked weapon and ammo and sound and range effects to push things out a bit. If I complete the tweaks to the point that I'm satisfied with them, I'll offer it to the addon owner, with "Hey, you addon is pretty cool. Here is an idea to make it even cooler. Did you consider this?"

I then went looking for scripts, found some nice effects, and had ideas for some more. Asked a few HowTo questions, got some answers from some very prominent people, and set out to design something myself. That led to other ideas with addons that will have to wait for OFP2, so I am contenting myself to assist in other ways to help in projects.

I want to thank BAS for what they have done, and for what they put up with. You guys are a big inspiration to aspiring developers, and you have done a great job. Give credit where credit is due folks, and I say it is due on a rather large tab.

ps: I would like to see a list commonly reported issues on the bug page. You can keep 'special' bugs private, just put a one-liner briefly describing issues still open on released gear so we don't pester you with repeat issues.

pps: If you want bikes on a mh6, can't you just write a simple setpos script to attach it ala ropes anyway folks?

shinRaiden, I hear where you are coming from. I have started to do that now, dePBO stuff and look at it. Like Inquisitors HD Weapons Pack, I thought it was lacking an M4 with Aimpoint which was common sight in Operation I.F. so I went placed an Aimpoint on the M4, asked some HOW TO questions. Sorry about the off topic.

I am not sure it has been asked or mentioned but will the MH-60's landing gear compress when on the ground sort of like the Mi-2's? You don't have to answer it BAS, just thought I would talk about something related to the thread ;)

George

Guest jacobaby

Hopefully can address some of those questions...

Landwarrior,

Im not certain about the weapons, I guess they will use JAM, but I dont know if that has a standard MP5, Evis will know.

MH6, they have a little bit to be done on, when the mh60 is released I will start work on it, more specific info available on ofpec thread.

ShinRaiden.

That's exactly what I like to see. Most of us at BAS have "custom" versions of the various addons, whether it be a different texture or script or something.

I have endeavoured to make the scripts for the Mh60 as simple as possible to read and learn from, so that others can use them if needed.

Also, we are always willing to help a serious and committed player to learn the ropes.

Regarding your point about attaching the bikes, the answer is no. Doing that does not meet quality  standards, especially in MP. However we are talking about it, and are really looking for pictures of a LITTLEBIRD CARRYING KLR'S if anybody can help.

AOCbravo2004

I love the suspension on the Mi2. The DKM Mi28 also has it, although in beta format. Its a kind of funky effect, and we discussed it for the mh60.

However, for several valid reasons we decided NOT to include it. They include, the actual movement seen underneath a landing BH seems minimal from the resources weve seen, the Mh60 already has many scripts running, without adding another constantly running height checking script. We felt the added effects aren't worth the hit at the end of the day.

However I hope you will enjoy the animations that are provided.

TJ

@jacobaby

My comment about the KLR's was not meant for you. I was just tossing a suggestion out for non-BAS people to go think and build.

Although 'bouncy suspension' [for all you carmageddon fans smile_o.gif ] would be nice, I would think that would be the least of your concerns tumbling out the doors to go take down doors. tounge_o.gif

Must get back to mapping and wrping. Don't want to let your effort go to waste.

The deltas/rangers will have an unsilenced MP5 at some point, however probably not in the next update.

Thanks for the reply Evis, it's no biggie, maybe someday when I learn how to edit better I can go in there and add it for personal use HAHA. Keep up the great work BAS, now to get back to modifying your Rangers/Delta to make SF soldiers biggrin_o.gif .

George

To all of you MP5 lovers wink_o.gif

this addweapon + this addmagazine + HK Pack works wonders.

To all of you MP5 lovers wink_o.gif

this addweapon + this addmagazine + HK Pack works  wonders.

lol yeah thought the same as i read that about the mp5  biggrin_o.gif

But i think most people are lazy asses for that...

Thnxs for the Update Avon and even thnxs for bringin this topic back to on-topic: Man i dont understand this  crazy_o.gif

I know i dont may complain on how the forums are moderatored but!!!:

!!!"Wy The F*** does the mod's dont watch this Treaths because if you look at the G section and then the Pics well you just have to do 1 wrong thing and hey they are there and if you look at the AM:D or AM:C well the MOD's SUCHS at that place so FIX IT or il leave and go to OFPEC  mad_o.gif

BTW: BAS 3 days till release from MH pack  wink_o.gif

I totally agree!

Quote[/b] ]I for one would appreciate it if after new releases the topic thread is used just to highlight "surprise" features you have found, things you especially like or find interesting, or links to pictures etc of the addon in action, or genuine questions about the addon that we neglected to include in the readme.

So basically you want us to heap praise on your addons and shut up about bugs, in this thread...  rock.gif

You're such an ass....did you even bother to read what TJ wrote?...When have we not listened to the community and fixed bugs and issues reported with our release....hell sometime you get fixes within 12-24 hours of the issue being identified.

We would prefer they are logged on our page rather than on the forums. Is that so much to ask for free addon?

So does this mean that we can't criticize the addons they make?

OK I understand that they have put a lot of time into the addon they've (not directing at any particular addonmaker here) released but you have to think honestly that addonmakers kinda hope for some recognition for the work they've done, and by telling us (the general non addonmaking OFP playing public) that we can't criticize the addon isn't going to achieve this.

Of course there are pointless,rude and completely unconstructive comments directed towards them (addonmakers) that should just be ignored but often a simple criticism is regarded as an insult and degenerates more often than not into either a maker closing a thread, going off on a sulk or falling into a flaming battle.

I just wish they could act more like regular OFP enjoying people rather than God's gift to the OFP community.Afterall there's no reason why they are making an addon other than for their own enjoyment and releasing it to the community is a way of exhibiting their work, so they should be able to either shrug off criticism or answer it in a non God's-gift-to-the-community type of way.

I am sure I will get some criticism for saying this but I am simply clearing my chest.I hope I am not the only one with this view.

I admire addonmakers for sharing their skills with the community, not because they are addonmakers.

While I agree with some of your points, you have to think of it from their perspective.  Let's use your restraunt analogy.  Say a friend of yours spent a lot of years refining his cooking skills to the point where he has become a gourmet chef.  Now this friend decides to open a five star restraunt.  A day before he officially opens, he holds a test run and invites all of his friends for a free meal to see how they like the restraunt.  Everyone gets dressed up for the occassion and shows up.  Meanwhile the chef has prepared for weeks for this occasion.  He selects the finest ingredients, painstakingly plans the meal, selects the wines, and spends hours upon hours preparing the meal according to the utmost of his cooking skills.  He literally has placed his pride and joy into the creation of a lovely dinner for his friends.  His professional reputation is at stake and his ego is wrapped up in the project because he desperately wants to share his abilities with others and watch them recieve pleasure and gratification from his efforts, thus rewarding him for all the years he spent honing these skills and making them seem worthwhile.  He serves this fine meal to all his guests without charge and sits back to watch them enjoy it.  The pleasure they recieve from it his only reward.  The guests, who contributed nothing to the effort but their opinion, bitch that the wine isn't good enough, the silverware isn't a pattern they like, the music he picked for atmosphere sucks, the chairs are too uncomfortable etc...  Then they tell him he's a lousy chef and to go back into the kitchen and fix the problems immediately or they will eat at someone else's restraunt from now on.

How would you feel?

I'd be willing to bet that you would take comments like that as a personal insult.  First of all (as with a new addon), a lot of the criticism had nothing directly to do with the effort itself, but with peripheral details.  Second, because those details are not always completely sorted out, or their are unanticipated problems with the debut of any venture requiring an extreme amount of skill and effort to produce, the critics trash the effort in its entirety, which is just flat out stupid and the undeserved.  Lastly, those doing the crticisizing paid nothing for the product they recieved, they put no time into it, lack the skills to produce anything remotely similar themselves, and recieved it solely for their own personal enjoyment and benefit.  And yet they still have the balls to trash the effort!  It show a complete lack of tact and regard for other people.  These individuals have simply never progressed mentally and morally past the age of four year olds who have the mindset of: "The world revolves around me.  Every one here is here only to meet my needs and provideme with gratification.  I want it now!  I want it my way! Me first!  Me!, Me!, Me!"  

See what I mean?

So while constructive criticism or comments are probably appreciated, they should be given with these ideas in mind.  What you are criticisizing is somebody's labor of love, produced solely for you to enjoy, at the expense of countless hours, with no reward.  The reward to the maker is that you enjoy what they have made.  If you don't, it can be disturbing and hurtful, so make sure you critisize tactfully and respectfully, and not rudely or stupidly. wink_o.gif

Dude...you just made it into my signature....thanks smile_o.gif

Hey, who wants to be a mod maker now?

We 56ker's who love the game value every bit of precious bandwidth we can get, and that tends to make us appeciate stuff.

I downloaded a couple of artillery related addons that looked interesting. They were, but I felt they were woefully underpowered and lacking in some effects. So did I go and rant and scream? No, I grabbed DePBO and set to work to see what I could do. Luckily, the released p3d's had not been binarized, so I could look at the models, figure out how they did things, so I could make models too. I chopped through the code and tweaked weapon and ammo and sound and range effects to push things out a bit. If I complete the tweaks to the point that I'm satisfied with them, I'll offer it to the addon owner, with "Hey, you addon is pretty cool. Here is an idea to make it even cooler. Did you consider this?"

I then went looking for scripts, found some nice effects, and had ideas for some more. Asked a few HowTo questions, got some answers from some very prominent people, and set out to design something myself. That led to other ideas with addons that will have to wait for OFP2, so I am contenting myself to assist in other ways to help in projects.

I want to thank BAS for what they have done, and for what they put up with. You guys are a big inspiration to aspiring developers, and you have done a great job. Give credit where credit is due folks, and I say it is due on a rather large tab.

ps: I would like to see a list commonly reported issues on the bug page. You can keep 'special' bugs private, just put a one-liner briefly describing issues still open on released gear so we don't pester you with repeat issues.

pps: If you want bikes on a mh6, can't you just write a simple setpos script to attach it ala ropes anyway folks?

Only 8 posts and already I like you smile_o.gif As Jacobaby said...it:s this kind of attitude that encourages addon makers to go the extra mile.

You know what the most disheartening thing is about non-constructive criticism.....the lack of appreciation for the HUGE volume of work that's gone into the addon.

Forget the modeling, forget the texturing.....the MH-60 went through 15 (now 17) beta versions alone!! That means ST, TJ and Ebud had to tweak, test and recompile the same unit 17 times so all the BAS members could beta test it and pick out bugs.

Then think about how long the model must have taken to build from scratch....and how long the 100% customised, from scratch textures must have taken.

Hell....the amount of manhours put into this chopper.....well....I wouldn't want to find out actually. It might force us all to think about why the hell we do this biggrin_o.gif

You're such an ass....did you even bother to read what TJ wrote?...When have we not listened to the community and fixed bugs and issues reported with our release....hell sometime you get fixes within 12-24 hours of the issue being identified.

*sigh*....

There's just no point argueing with you...You simply read what you want to then scramble it up into an insult...

I post an opinion in a mature, reasonable, polite manner and I get this type of response...Well you know what? I just don't care.You can go on like that and everyone will admire you even more    wink_o.gif

Consider what you're posting, try and think about it before going and splashing that type of pointless response.

I have nothing else to say regarding this matter, so go on and reply to this in the same manner and I shall completely ignore it (as opposed to replying to it in a civilised manner)

On the contrary.....it is so simple to summarise this issue that a high school dropout could do it.

Shashman's Argument Summary

-Addon makers always complain about getting criticism.

-He has the right to complain

-Why does BAS not accept criticism in the thread but wants only praise

-Just because the addon is free doesn't mean we can't complain about it.

-When going to a restaurant the chef doesn't ask you to cook your own meal if you don't like it. etc.etc.

BAS Team Argument Summary

-We do and always have accepted constructive criticism

-We don't care about your perceived "right" to complain. This is your opinion. However, because we pour hundreds of hours of work into these addons we believe we have the "right" to ask that you help us out by following a few our suggestions regarding how to offer feedback. Whether you choose follow these suggestions or not is your "right", but seeing as you are getting something for nothing it should raise the question as to whether you are someone of manners, moral fibre and character.

-We will accept criticism of our addons through the feedback mechanism on our site in order to best categorise and respond to bugs.

-We would repectfully prefer that people use the thread to discuss unknown features and share experiences with the addon rather than report bugs, for which we have a preferred method for logging with us.

-Those are paid services....send us a cheque with a donation and we will give you a special, individual email address with which your every whim can be logged and we can respond to.

OK then I concede that I may have expressed my opinion in perhaps a slightly more extreme way than I meant to, but the point stays : After having read your reply concerning criticism, I stick to my guns in that even if you do as you say consider "constructive criticism", you still do respond to general criticism in an inappropriate manner, often in a patronising, criticising tone and/or formulation.

I cannot back this claim with concrete proof as there are so many threads in which I have observed such occurances,therefore I shall close (hopefully) this discussion by apologising for any misunderstanding but sticking to my initial opinion.

Thanks for the effort wink_o.gif

Anyways....

Quick question (and I'm not sure if this has been discussed before), will there be a medivac version of the Blackhawk such as this one?

"Heal At Blackhawk" ?

OK then I concede that I may have expressed my opinion in perhaps a slightly more extreme way than I meant to, but the point stays : After having read your reply concerning criticism, I stick to my guns in that even if you do as you say consider "constructive criticism", you still do respond to general criticism in an inappropriate manner, often in a patronising, criticising tone and/or formulation.

I cannot back this claim with concrete proof as there are so many threads in which I have observed such occurances,therefore I shall close (hopefully) this discussion by apologising for any misunderstanding but sticking to my initial opinion.

Thanks for the effort wink_o.gif

You are correct. There may have been times when have responded in a "in an inappropriate manner, often in a patronising, criticising tone and/or formulation."

However, I can guarantee you these responses were not without a trigger to activate some of our natural human emotions when discussing our work. Those responses would have been as a result of one or several of the following reasons:

1) The issue had been covered in the readme....which has obviously not been read.

2) The issue had been covered in the thread...which the person was too lazy to read through (after hundreds of hours making an addon is 30 mins to read through a thread too much to ask)

3) The criticism was phrased in such a way that it easily provoked us to jump to the defence of our work, rather than illustrate to us an issue and some suggestions on how to fix it.

Reference some of Jacobaby's examples in the previous pages.

eg. There are crappy white spots all over the helo. Shabby work..I expect this to be fixed immediately.

As opposed to:

I noticed some textures missing. Here is a screenshot. Perhaps you forgot to add something to the LODS.

4) Demands have been made. We volunteer our time and dedicate a lot to our work...however, demands from people for something that is offered at no personal cost are very rarely welcomed with a smiling face...no matter what the environment may be eg. OFP, Christmas, life.

5) Someone has questioned our integrity and dedication to what it is we do. We sacrifice much which is generally unknown to the OFP community. To suggest that these sacrifices (which remain unknown) are not enough for someone is an insult.

Thnxs for the Update Avon and even thnxs for bringin this topic back to on-topic: Man i dont understand this  crazy_o.gif

I know i dont may complain on how the forums are moderatored but!!!:

!!!"Wy The F*** does the mod's dont watch this Treaths because if you look at the G section and then the Pics well you just have to do 1 wrong thing and hey they are there and if you look at the AM:D or AM:C well the MOD's SUCHS at that place so FIX IT or il leave and go to OFPEC  mad_o.gif

BTW: BAS 3 days till release from MH pack  wink_o.gif

I totally agree!

The moderators can only read so many threads, we do this in our free time you know, if we read every thread we'd have no time to do anything else. It's far easier to spot something in the Opf photography thread than it is to sit and read 100s of words in this thread looking out for an offensive phrase or whatever.

At the bottom of the board rules (that are pinned in every forum) it says "If you see a violation of these rules on the board, please do not reply in the thread but send a PM to a moderator instead." So instead of complaining that we don't do enough, start doing what it says in the rules and report things to us that breach the rules, then we can deal with it, if you don't do that you have no grounds for complaint at all.

Ok placebo il do the next time but: I was just giving my point of view how it was going in here so no bad words any more and we are all happy , happy , Joy Joy biggrin_o.gif

BTW: BAS how long ? wink_o.gif

the MH/HH pack because first i hear from Selectthis that within 1 Week and then TJ says thats not true so whats the ETA ? because i dont gonna make missions for a addon that is not coming out in a long period in fact i dont do any thing then with it so if i hear the ETA is soon i make some missions and i hope this time the missions will be get uploaded  mad_o.gif because the previous time i sended some missions for BAS they never get uploaded.  sad_o.gif

the MH/HH pack because first i hear from Selectthis that within 1 Week and then TJ says thats not true so whats the ETA ? because i dont gonna make missions for a addon that is not coming out in a long period in fact i dont do any thing then with it so if i hear the ETA is soon i make some missions and i hope this time the missions will be get uploaded  mad_o.gif because the previous time i sended some missions for BAS they never get uploaded.  sad_o.gif

We dont give ETA's.