Sign in to follow this  
Akira

New york preparedness guide released

Apparently on page 10 I think it was...it gives this wonderful advice if you are caught in a collapsing building.

"Get under a sturdy desk or table."

Good luck with that one.

Link To Story

Link To Guide

I thought the safest place was right next to a bed or a strong table or something... If you go under one, and the bed/table/whatever happens to collapse you are wasted. But next to one, its quite a big possibility that the thing you are next to will avoid big falling things from hurting you even if the thing itself collapses.

i seriously hope they were not that stupid. in case of earthquakes, the reason why we have duck and cover is to protect ourselves from falling onbjects. last thing we want to have is some 6.0 earthquake fall from top and hit our head. so that's why they teach duck and cover here in california.

but if you are in a collapsing building, i think Keg's choice is better. hopefully if you are next to some sort of building structure's extension(?) such as escalator, then you can place yourself hoping for falling debries hit escalator structure and then ground creating an ample space.

Oh there are other gems in it as well....including this information for a dirty bomb or biological attack:

If the attack is outside, go inside. If the attack is inside, go outside.

rock.gif

Oh there are other gems in it as well....including this information for a dirty bomb or biological attack:

rock.gif

and if it explodes near the door ?

It's called a placebo. Very little of this stuff will help you for shit in case of your office building falling your head, but it will give you something to do, let us know that the city is trying to do something about terrorism, and maybe, just maybe, it might actually work. Who knows, but it's the thought that counts in stuff like this.

rock.gif

and if it explodes near the door ?

Well then you're proper fucked- noone ever said living was safe lol.

What to do in the event of a terrorist attack:

Learn to stop pissing them off so bad!

I'd agree with that whole heartedly. (btw-your name is familiar, are you the guy from Planet CNC? My name's Adeus there)

I like this one:

Quote[/b] ]Confirm reports using a variety of reliable sources of

information, such as the government or media.

bwahaha..

My dad likes to tell a stroy about how in elementary school in the 50's they told the class to duck and cover...next to a wall of plate glass windows. Yeah that'll be fun when they all break and spray you with shrapnel.

@ July 11 2003,22:48)]It's called a placebo.

Im not so sure if placebo would make a good human shield but at least we can make him gag the news channels biggrin_o.gif

crazy_o.gif

I know in the 50's and 60's or whatever there used to be nuclear attack drills in American schools where the teachers taught the children to hide under their desks if there was a nuclear attack, somehow I doubt it would do much good smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Hide under desk tables

Oh yes, all humans on earth know that a wooden or plastic table can stop explosives. I mean, it works against nuclear warheads, dosn't it?

That was just for psychological effect.  It helped dispense some of the panic when people thought they could do something that mattered.  Panic insues when something happens that you can't react to.  The real experts knew that the tables, desks, and people would be turned into radioactive air pollution, but it slightly eased the tension for non-experts to think that they could survive.

So do we  have  any realistic survival guidlines or battleplans for when the shit  hits  the fan ?

So do we  have  any realistic saurvival guidlines or battleplans for when the shit  hits  the fan ?

not really , when it has to happen , it happens

[Not real, but I might just do it one day]

Just in case, I dug a 15 foot hole in my backyard, poured a little concrete, and then covered the building with a few feet of dirt and I had a bomb shelter/bunker.

Wasn't that easy?(Mentally at least.)

Damn. Next people will start calling me a Paramilitary Paranoid...

So do we  have  any realistic survival guidlines or battleplans for when the shit  hits  the fan ?

It's called running around in circles while screaming until you pass out, then you die.

That, or you're caught in the cross fire or hit directly.

My personal doomsday plans are:

1. Get really drunk

2. Make love to girlfriend

3. See what happens next

4. Get the kitchen sink to drain properly

My personal doomsday plans are:

1. Get really drunk

2. Make love to girlfriend

3. See what happens next

4. Get the kitchen sink to drain properly

excellent list. Mine includes 'go fishing and screw the limit'.

those aren`t the type of plans i meant !!! crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

I meant the kind where everyone else dies horribly leaving u alive to be king of the world biggrin_o.gif

those aren`t the type of  plans  i meant !!! crazy_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

I meant the kind where everyone else dies horribly leaving  u alive to  be  king  of  the world  biggrin_o.gif

Oh, you mean like duck and cover tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif