Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

Time travel

Now i know this sounds too offtopic for offtopic but here is the real question.

"Is time travel possible and if so, could it be used to prevent wars, natural disaters etc"

I was wondering what you guys thought.

we can discuss science stuff here.

I say finding new dimensions would be better unless using dimmensions were part of time travel smile_o.gif

What if the time machine were invented as a result of a war? If there was no war how could it exist? What about all the other things invented because of war? We would be back in the stone age and everyone saved would die as a result of them suddenly not having anything to use to survive.

The closest thing we had to a time machine was the Concorde, because it moved faster than the earth rotated you could arrive at your destination before the time you left. Due to the time differences on the other side of the world. I don't think its possible to get anything closer to a true time machine.

Does anyone have any far out theorys on how it could work?

Now i know this sounds too offtopic for offtopic but here is the real question.

"Is time travel possible and if so, could it be used to prevent wars, natural disaters etc"

there was this big budget B-movie with kirk douglas and martin sheen , "Nimitz back to hell" or something where the CVN68 went into some weird magnetic stom in the pacific and came back to the 7th december 1941 and there was this dilemma : Must we prevent the Pearl Harbor attack with our kick ass top class high tech mega tomcats , or must we just let the japs do their thing ?

in this movie , a man had a quite good hypothesis :

we shouldn't change the past because if we do , we drastically change the future , he said "if you come back to the past and kill , for exemple , your father or grandfather before he meets your mother , you would simply dissappear , and changing 1 event in our whole history could have the most critical repercussions on thousands of lives

on this , take a look at the red alert (the game) scenario :

Einstein goes back to past and kills a certain mister Adolf H. as he's released from prison .. and we all know what happens then , the result could even worst than what would happen if we hadn't changed it

i say : keep our past as it is , don't manipulate it , just learn from it

There is a problem, if we went back in time to change the past and prevent war, then some of us wouldn't have been born.

Ever watch Star Trek? Beleive it or not, they cover the issue of time travel quite well. The messing with the past can cause drastic changes in the future as well as the deaths of billions. In fact, you're observation of a past incident might change the entire scenerio completly.

As much as we want to, we cannot and should not change the past if there is such a device made. Billions and trillions of things, small or not, can change and drastically destroy or change the future.

I think Einstein proved that time traveling into the future is possible, as we do it every additional second we remain alive, but that traveling into the past is impossible.

Ran, that movie was called "The Final Countdown" here in the U.S. I loved that movie as a kid and saw it about 20 times! LOL biggrin_o.gif

I like it when the guy got left behind with the woman on the island, and he shows up to greet the ship when it returns to port as a rich old man, because he knew what stocks to invest in.

Here's a question: If you could travel back in time just once and return safely, which era would you visit?

If time travel were possible, why havent we found someone from the future?

No one remembers "It's About Time"? rock.gif

No, LOL, I'm not that old!! wow_o.gif I was born in January of 1972, so thats a little too early for me. I do remember Land of the Lost however, and the original movie "The Time Machine."

rwryne, you can't travel back in time, only forward.

Well what happens if the timeline was split into an inifinite number of dimmensions rock.gif

rwryne, you can't travel back in time, only forward.

the original post stated

Quote[/b] ]Now i know this sounds too offtopic for offtopic but here is the real question.

Now to "prevent wars" you could only travel back...so Obviously I was talking to him

traveling to past and altering it cannot happen.

first, let's assume that such action can be taken.

then if we go back to pre-WW1 era and kill a painter called Adolf Hitler, then the repurcussion of such action would propagate to the future, including 2003 right now.

for this propagation to happen, a past experience(killing Adolf)should already be embedded in to our current(a.k.a. future from pre-WW1 era).

the only thing that can happen is looking at the past, without altering it. since things happen and the action, should it be in a form of medium that travels universe, and if we can bend the universe, then we might be able to see it. however, we cannot alter it since it is the IMAGE of what happened, not the actual substance that can have caise and effect on the matter.

i see you were watching T3. tounge_o.gif

Just imagine going back and convincing Karl Marx of all the falacies, flaws and abuses of communism.

Then we wouldn't have OFP. crazy_o.gif

Here's a question:  If you could travel back in time just once and return safely, which era would you visit?

the renaissance , it's a must tounge_o.gif

i see you were watching T3. tounge_o.gif

lol, yea i did see it recently. it started the spark of this idea in my head.

I can't pick between two eras. 1)Prehistory, it would be nice to see the earth in a pristine state (I'd go fishing biggrin_o.gif ). 2) The Second World War, a period which has fundamentally changed every aspect of the world in drastic ways. Really its the dividing point between the old and modern eras. What a time to witness, both terrible and wonderful, terrifying and exciting beyond belief.

You can travel back in time. Bend the universe make a wormhole and spin it reeeaaaally fast and go through. You can't change anything. It's a law of nature like gravity. If you try to shoot your grandmother you just can't pull the trigger.

If you could see the future that would mean that there is fate, and I don't like the idea of fate. If fate does not exist, how could you travel to the future?

Travelling back into the past implies it's possible to travel into the future, because if they would not co-exist you would not be able to travel back, so the past and the future are existing, im tempted to say at the same time.

But if the future already exists it means it is already defined, which supports my theory of the universe bein one big computer emulating itself. tounge_o.gif

So all I need to do to prove my theory true is to build a time machine to travel back into the past.

biggrin_o.gif

i say : keep our past as it is , don't manipulate it , just learn from it

Even that seems to be too hard lately

Under Relativity one cannot travel backward in time however if you travel at the speed of light the factor by which time slows is infinite 1/(1-(v/c)^2) so you stay still in time and the rest of the universe passes you by. Thats why photons explore all possible paths as quantum effect. If you travelled faster than 'c' then you could go back in time but to go faster than light relativity requires you to use more than the energy in the entire universe.

Don't get me started on the theory of warp drive tounge_o.gif

Don't get me started on the theory of warp drive   tounge_o.gif

*Starts lpdotcom to ramble about warp drive*

Don't you think that if a time machine will ever be invented that we would already be seeing the effects of it? What if a futuristic Neo-Nazi traveled back to the point where in undisturbed time a teacher may have killed Hitler for painting an ugly flower or something and killed her before she could do it? I think if time machines could/can/or will be able to be invented, then we have already been affected by them. Ah forget it... I'm pissed after a bad drive to work and can't think straight...plus, travelling to the past is impossible. And how would you use energy to make yourself go to the future? If you stopped while the rest of the universe moved... you be trillions of miles away from Earth in very little time. Ah screw it. It boggles my mind to think of the scale.

I don't believe the past could be changed. The events are already written.

You might be able to change "how" something happens, or "who" does something, but it will still happen.

traveling to past and altering it cannot happen.

first, let's assume that such action can be taken.

then if we go back to pre-WW1 era and kill a painter called Adolf Hitler, then the repurcussion of such action would propagate to the future, including 2003 right now.

for this propagation to happen, a past experience(killing Adolf)should already be embedded in to our current(a.k.a. future from pre-WW1 era).

Yes, that's why people that don't go back in time together with those that do, won't ever notice - the things they've lived never happend, everything will just happen once again, but on another basis. Our current would change without anyone noticing, I mean. Or would be replaced without anyone noticing.