Sign in to follow this  
SCREAM

VIA chipset problems

Q: OF often randomly crashed down!. I have Via chipset and AGP 4x

A: Setting AGP speed to 1x or 2x often helps. If you have AMD processor, you can also check following link to Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/support....SPR=VBB

See also update below for more recent information.

One of possible solutions:

I also was haunted by freezings in OPF. There was no good solution in the fora alltogether, but one thing seems to be clear: being owner of a AMD 155 mHz and Via bus on main board, I definitely had a problem. I've tried everything and finally, this weekend, I succeeded.

I figured out that Windows had set my Via bus master PCI IDE controller for primary and secondary IDE controllers to standard. I changed that in the settings for system into activation of both IDE controllers (I'm sorry I don't have the correct english names for the steps you must take, 'cause my Windows 98SE is Dutch). After this I reset the computer and from this time on, after trying every solution from the fora, OPF is running in high mode 32 bits like fluid on grease!

Thanks Robert van Dijk (Nijmegen, the Netherlands)

Following troubleshooting guide was compiled by ravefree

1. Use the LoadMinimum registry fix listed on AMD's site under patches

2. Install latest VIA chip set drivers

3. If possible reserve an IRQ setting for your video card (Geforce)

4. Make sure your computer has proper ventalation and cooling

5. Check power supply for higher end systems a 350+ or 400 watt power supply is a must have...

6. If your BIOS supports it, find out what the recommended PCI latency should be set to.

7. Try lowering the AGP from 4x to 2x, to 1x if problems continue