Sign in to follow this  
BraTTy

Corsair f4u released !!

Glad to hear it Bratty. Can't wait for your update post unclesam.gif

Some status for now:

For the Corsair I am gathering recommendations for changes and fixes, only a few from this topic here but many I had planned myself also.

I am deep into a US Navy F4F Wildcat fighter (please don't be upset on its performance...I stated earlier that the Corsair is the fastest plane I will be making)

Screenshot doesn't look the best,but the fighter will have the most intricate landing gear yet and is only at less than 900 faces so far (I expect around 1700)

Only has initial texture beginning stages yet

Wildcat Info Page

German HS123 is nearly complete and I am about to update the webpage soon with that and working towards a release,heres the old link if you dont know what a HS123 is:

http://www.freewebs.com/bratz_addons/hs123.htm

I also have some progress with my Japanese Kaga Aircraft Carrier and agreed to help AIA with the 3 that they have.

I also know of a real nice ME109 coming soon, not by me but from a better modmaker and I get to put my hands on it too, it will have some neet features

I also will be reworking my A6M2 Zero shortly along with plans of making a A7M to help support it

But I really need some more responses on any changes that need to be made on the Corsair

Bratty a problem I'm come across with the corsair is when you fire at night you loose all visability because of the gun fire flash in front of the cockpit. Could you see if that can be fixed.

I would love to shut that off, anyone know how?

Great ,I am open to suggestions, had me confused as it has a nice gunsight, but you must be talking the overlay for a reticule.That is a nice webpage for reticules and it shows the one used in the Corsair ,and yes thats a great idea ,I can make it lighted and such just like the one shown, thanx

I've been working on adding this to RTS-3 WW2 and a few new WW2 missions I'm working on but I'm having some strange issue with clients crashing out of the game. I think it relates to the corsair being deleted and recreated with my vehicle respawn script. Is anyone else still having that issue?

Also, regarding the manager.sqs script you have running for the corsair to show smoke, etc. Wouldn't it work better to have that script exec'd using a "getin" eventhandler? I think that eventhandler automatically execs on all clients. This would solve the problem of multiplayer vehicle respawn since the respawn script typically only runs server-side.

I could be wrong though...I'll have to ponder that one a bit.

Anyway, great looking plane!

I and some users have had problems deleting this vehicle.And in the scripts I have OFP automatically deleting the inactive dead vehicles after 5 minutes of non-use...this may be also causing problems if deleting the vehicle is causing crashes.

(possibly the killed eventhandler is causing this?)

I know you are good with MP and would be great if we could solve this problem.I am in process of rewriting the scripts and finished some other things also.

I don't understand what you mean about switching the smoke to the "getin" handler as that EH only runs when a person gets in the vehicle and won't fire for players already in the vehicle.Maybe use the "engine" EH?But then the planes would only smoke and burn after they have ran, that won't account for any parked planes.I'm open for any suggestions and willing to work with you on this.

I would like to point out that the UNbinarized.p3d's for the Corsairs are available on my new webpage (thanx to OFP.info)

Might be of use to modmakers

I thought it was a well known fact that if you deleted vehicles that have scripts running on them player gets a crash to desktop?

The only way to stop your planes causing this is to allow mission designers to turn off fire / smoke effects so that when your plane crashes it can be deleted.

Would be good if BAS could do this too as their choppers are fairly useless in MP if they need to respawn.

Well thank you very much, I was thinking along those lines and always planned on making the effects switchable, just reinforces that plan

But what about the effects that are needed? (setobjecttexture?)

It must be the external scripts (ones that are called from the main) that are bothering I hope? Because the gear event and such are handled by scripts

I've worked around it a bit and I just Setpos the dead planes to [0,0,0] and let them delete themselves. It looks to me as if by then all of the scripts are finished running. I'm leaning toward the theory that if you delete a vehicle during a particle effect script, then it'll have greater odds of causing a crash. The reason I suspect this is because most people crash the second a burning plane is deleted.

I'm not as familiar with how addons exec scripts, but from what I've read, the init line is now executed publically, i.e. on all clients upon unit creation (createvehicle) in 1.92. I was just trying to figure out how the particle effects would work on a dedicated server after the vehicle respawned. From conversations I've had, I'm unsure as to whether Getdammage is a local or public command, and if it is local, then only the pilot would see the damage smoke, etc.

Anyway, I'll burn a few more gallons of glucose to see if I can figure it out. Very fun playing with those planes, though!

Must be the clients are crashing because they way it is scripted the server hopefully isnt running any manager script or what have you.SO deleting it from the server may crash clients that have the planes scripts still running,and it burns for a few seconds after its dead.Were you deleting it immediately?

Maybe I should have the script exit out at that point? Or delete itself sooner?

And I would like to point out that any missions made with the planes don't need the init line running the manager script,otherwise the clients would be running the scripts twice I assume now that they made init eventhandler global,but of course you must know that,and your createvehicle the planes anyways

I'm glad you are having fun with the plane, as I also enjoy RTS style of gameplay,and I also planned on some conquest (bf42 style) of missions

TooTall made some missions, they are in "bratty" folder @ evilmadman.com/newfiles. Try em out!

This is now hosted here.

I am fairly confident it is the fire scripts that cause crash to desktop when DeleVehicle is used.

In my dogfight mission I want to be able to delete the planes within 30-60 seconds after they crash. However this cannot be done currently as your planes burst into flame when they crash. (Same with BAS blackhawks).

The only semi-solution I have found is to extend respawn time to a rediculous five minutes.

Anyway, I think considering the effects these scripts can have on stability I think it is the correct thing to do to make them switchable so they can be disabled by the mission editor. Or better yet, have a swich command like RespawnPlane=True so when the vehicle is dead, have the scripts all exit.

Yes I have a little burning action for like 20 secs after the vehicle is dead ,but then the script waits for 5 minutes then deletes itself (in case mission revives unit and the way the 1.91 "init" handler was running)

So its safe to say final version (coming soon!) the scripts won't be lingering around as its easily createvehicle'd now

And if someone made the god-all smoke scripts,addons makers wouldn't have to implement smoke and fire

I'm thinking along the lines of client controlled effects somehow would be awesome

, I'm unsure as to whether Getdammage is a local or public command, and if it is local, then only the pilot would see the damage smoke, etc.

Could you let me know the results of this? Im sure you will see your own smoke,but will you see the other planes

Any AI players in your games?

And many thanks for your help towards this

You are a credit to mod-making Bratty, your attention to the realistic needs of the mission designers actually using your addons is admirable.

I can only hope BAS are as diligent.

Last night we played a new Battlefield WW2 mission that I made and everything operated pretty smoothly.  I shot down a couple of Corsairs and they started smoking and then flaming the more damage they took.  I think Getdammage must propogate to other clients, albeit a bit more slowly because of lag.  This is on a 1.92 server, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

In the manager script which handles the fire, it appears that it'll only burn for 20-30 seconds, so I think deleting the vehicle after 60 seconds works ok.  At the moment I let them delete themselves and the missions don't crash.  I am almost positive that it's the particle script that crashes the clients if it's running while the vcl is deleted.

Right now I'm using the P51-D and the Corsairs (and waiting on some German units smile_o.gif ).  Why is it the Corsairs lose so much speed on turns, but the P51's don't seem to?  Also, what determines a plane's horsepower?  I know about the maxspeed setting, but is there something that determines how fast it gets there?

Only thing I can see so far that changes the performance (acceleration) is the mass of the vehicle, I have played with figures brakedistance and such and can't see any performance difference.( I have played with most figures)

I think the reason it loses more speed is mainly because it turns sharper,If I set the sensitivity to less ,it doesnt lose as much speed.The first Corsairs had sensitivity of 1 and turned real sharp and lost alotta speed (it loses less now doesnt it?)

The Zero I have set to 1's and it should lose the most speed in turns (because it turns sharper)

Thanx for the compliments Lt Damage,coming from another modmaker that means alot, I always worry about users aggravation, I left the canopy open for that reason, so mission makers wouldnt have to make it open to eject and other things

But now we have the problem of wimpy AI pilots that bail out before you can finish them (it won't be like that in the final)

Maybe we should lock the canopies on the wimps,lol

I know of a Me109 coming right up,its not mine but I am helping with it some