Sign in to follow this  
Animal_Mother -SWAF-

Is a decent tank too much to ask?

Hello to all skilled addon-makers out there,

I was wondering if it was too much to ask from any (group) of you, to create a NON-WW2-, non-Vietnam-, non-standart-OFP-tank?

I was thinking a decent Leo2 (without having to install a ridicolously big Addon pack like FinMod or BW Mod) or a good addaptation of a Challenger 2.

That would be such a treat.

I liked the CDA M1A1, but then again it had that crew bug and it was another Abrahams.

Is there anyone out there who has spare time on his hands and is interested in this?

Good Enough ?

Chances are not good enough, as he said:

"without having to install a ridicolously big Addon pack like FinMod or BW Mod".

Good Enough ?

Chances are not good enough, as he said:

"without having to install a ridicolously big Addon pack like FinMod or BW Mod".

Hmm good point sad_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

*snuggles on Avon Lady for being so understanding* smile_o.gif

Ty also @ Mr burns...but the thing is:

The BAS pack will be:

- big

- desert camo (everused desert camo in a non-desert map?)

- big

- only ready in a while

the T80UM1 I saw too...but that one is still in the works too, and we (SWAF) would need a decent Nato tank in exchange.

Thanx 4 the heads-up regarding the Swissmod Leo2...I will check it out.

im pretty sure the BAS pack includes Woodland cammo and Woodland cammow ith Desert sand all over them.

Centurion?? I was talking about decent MBTs......Centurion has 60 (!!!) 105 rounds and gets taken out with one Sabot

And that Swissmod Leo2 is ok, but the texture sucks and why on earth does it have two different sized shells? 120mm Sabot and 105mm HEAT...so the barrel is shrinking when you reload the HEAT??

Also the MG bullets do a neat but unrealistic "effet" to the middle.....

I like the Leo from the BW Mod...texturing, weaponary, crew...everything is alright on that...but the whole BW Mod is too big, just to have a nice tank.

im pretty sure the BAS pack includes Woodland cammo and Woodland cammow ith Desert sand all over them.

Not to start with, there WILL be a woodland version to follow though.

but thats gonna take ages smile_o.gif

too bad, I love the challenger II. UKF seems to enjoying their vacation, though. Haven't seen much news from then lately

too bad, I love the challenger II. UKF seems to enjoying their vacation, though. Haven't seen much news from then lately

Doesn't mean they're on vacation just because u know nothing.

@ June 30 2003,18:43)]Centurion?? I was talking about decent MBTs......Centurion has 60 (!!!) 105 rounds and gets taken out with one Sabot

And that Swissmod Leo2 is ok, but the texture sucks and why on earth does it have two different sized shells? 120mm Sabot and 105mm HEAT...so the barrel is shrinking when you reload the HEAT??

Also the MG bullets do a neat but unrealistic "effet" to the middle.....

I like the Leo from the BW Mod...texturing, weaponary, crew...everything is alright on that...but the whole BW Mod is too big, just to have a nice tank.

HI,

there was a Leo2A4 from General Mortars, that was a stand alone addon (though it came with Bundeswehr Tank Crew and Uzi MP). It came in two versions, camouflaged and not camouflaged smile_o.gif

The BWMOD-Leo2 is based on it, though the BWMOD has only one LOD, whereas General Mortars' Leo2 has more. So go for it; I don't have any link right now, so you have to search yourself.

Hmm..never Downloaded Mortars´s Leo so far...gonna test it tomorrow.

You can Download it Here

wink_o.gif

Personally I would just like to see a good IDF Merkava MKIII main battle tank. In my opinion that is one of the coolest tanks in the world as it has the ability to carry 6 infantry inside for heavy assault missions and to extract injured soldiers under heavy fire. It also is extremely heavily armored.

I also think that a good Centurian tank would be excellent with user designated textures for the national markings. This is because so many countries have used the Centurian in many different wars and user designated textures for the flags on the tanks would offer the most versatility for mission makers.

Also we are still missing French LeClerc heavy tanks along with their AMX series of tanks. I know the Operation Frenchpoint team are working on a vehicle pack and I've seen pics of the LeClerc tank but I have no idea how far along they are with it or when they plan on releasing it.

Finally there are lots of "tank killers" in the form of BDRM's with ATGM's on them, the VAB Mephisto with HOT ATGM's, the Striker ATGM tank, as well as light armored cars with 90mm - 105mm cannons on them like the Panhard AML-90 (used against T-55's in Angola by the SADF), the LAV-105, the Saladin with it's 76mm gun (used against Iraqi tanks by the Kuwaiti army), the Brazilian Cascavel armored car(90mm gun), and a few other similar vehicles that I probably forgot.

The G8 Mod team made a very cool looking Centurian wheeled tank killer, but unfortunately it was way over armored and had a lot of problems with it. It's a shame they never fixed it up and updated that addon.

There is actually a whole series of very cool looking and unique South African armored vehicles that someone could go nuts on and that mission makers could have a lot of fun in simulating the Angolan Civil War or the Rhodesian War.

But even more importantly I think are lot of the tracked recon and infantry fighting vehicles that have been overlooked. A MAJOR IFV that hasn't been made is the British Warrior IFV. This is the chief British IFV for their mechanized forces aside from the older FV 432 APC's (which also haven't been made in OFP). There is also the Scimitar and Scorpion recon vehicles.

I'm also suprised that nobody has made a German Marder IFV.

That's a pretty good IFV from what I've read about it.

So anyways there's still plenty of cool stuff out there for addon makers to be the first to make. I'd rather see that then MOD teams making ANOTHER T80 tank or M1 tank. Personally I think the original BIS tanks are just fine and the existing retextured M1's with desert cammo are just fine. Also the Sigma tank pack pretty much covered all the T-72 and T-80 series. I see it as just a waste of time making more and more of the same addons unless the existing addons suck badly. But I've always been happy with the orginal BIS M1, M60, T72, and T80 tanks.

Hmm.... another idea is COMBAT ENGINEERING vehicles!!!

Anyone thought about that??? Like some with anti-mine rollers that will set off the AT mines? Perhaps a M728 (M60 tank variant) with its MASSIVE 165mm demolition gun with a working crane to move dammaged vehicles and other objects? (ESSAYONS!!!!!! SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY!!)

Speaking of big guns there is also the Sheridan Light tank with its huge 152mm cannon which was used in Vietnam and more recently, in the Invasion of Panama as well as during the first Gulf War. It also could fire "flechette" rounds which were basically giant shotgun shells that are devestating to infantry at close range. Now imagine that in OFP against infantry??? I wish so bad we had a tank in OFP that could fire cannister (flechette) rounds.

Damn, the more I think about it, the more I can come up with lots of great modern tanks (or from the last 20 years) that could be made.

Hopefully some of that info might fire up some addon makers to make something new and unique!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

animal, the thing is your not going to get a really small addon here... other than a simple reskin ofcourse

Ive mentioned to you Sigma 6's "adversial tank pack" or something to that tune (T72, T80, T90, M96 M1A1/A2 etc)

which was 15 mb in total, broken down into 3 files which makes downloading easier...the quality on the addons is excelent, personally i dont think you are going to get a smaller filesize, though feel free to prove me wrong MOD's

you've heard me try to convince you about that pack many times before so i need not repeat myself...if you havent done so try the pack and you would see its worth every kb (in my opinion atleast)

animal, the thing is your not going to get a really small addon here... other than a simple reskin ofcourse

Ive mentioned to you Sigma 6's "adversial tank pack" or something to that tune (T72, T80, T90, M96 M1A1/A2 etc)

which was 15 mb in total, broken down into 3 files which makes downloading easier...the quality on the addons is excelent, personally i dont think you are going to get a smaller filesize, though feel free to prove me wrong MOD's

you've heard me try to convince you about that pack many times before so i need not repeat myself...if you havent done so try the pack and you would see its worth every kb (in my opinion atleast)

I agree with Acid. Also I should point something out. You actually DO NOT need to download the whole MOD packs for many of those other European tanks that have been made. If you use it as an "empty" vehicle in the map editor, you can add your own crew and you won't get that "missing ___.pbo" error normally. So in otherwords if you do that you won't need to download any other addons except for that tank.

By the way if you want to see some amazing tanks, I HIGHLY recommend that you get the BOH Japanese Self-Defense Force mod. Their APC's, IFV's, and tanks are some of the best I've seein in OFP. The sound on their APC's are especially nice and heavy as you thunder along towards your objective at full speed with a combat team of infantry in the rear. They are also perfect opponents for Remo's North Korean addon pack. I have both mod packs in the same folder and they are TONS of fun to pit against each other!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

That Leo2A4 from General Mortars looks good,only prob is that the player (in first person) looks like a ghost,and the crew (good cammo btw)has white faces,and the tank cannot be hit in tower in some spots from certain angles,but i do like it.

Of course, Sigma 6's "adversial tank pack" is where the best tanks are,those t80's make bis M1A1 into dog stew asap  tounge_o.gif .(maybe a bit too fast to be honest)

The RHS tanks will be very good, but I sure hope that there are some decent M1's and M2/M3's out then too. At the very least it would be nice of BIS to allow us to rescale them.

Quote[/b] ]Also I should point something out. You actually DO NOT need to download the whole MOD packs for many of those other European tanks that have been made. If you use it as an "empty" vehicle in the map editor, you can add your own crew and you won't get that "missing ___.pbo" error normally.

But, you have to download the modpack to get the tank.

Not always. I believe there are some (like the ones made by the Swiss Mod team) that are standalones but that just require their Swiss Crew and weapons from their main infantry pack. There was also a chieftain and a couple of Challenger tanks made a while back but I believe that they all had serious bugs. I think there is also a Canadian mod team that has a stand-alone tank like that as well.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

aller1a.jpg

visigoth2a.jpg

biggrin_o.gif

Wauw! always waited for those!

Just don´t make the textures so Toyís!

You ever saw Heavygeag cutscenes?!

Make them Darker, add shadows, add dirt an all that stuff.

And someone make a Topic for this guy tounge_o.gif