Sign in to follow this  
Bullz_eye_on_my_back

Setting up camp or airfields while in game...

I would like to see a couple of things that could make the game more realistic and playable...

1. scripts that could be executed through the menu bar to make your troops set up camp and then you can set them up into a base defense paremeter.

2. a script where you can come across an area that is flat (or partially flat)... maybe even take a tank and flatten out the trees where you can make a clearing for planes to take off. Then you could have an action menu to "Set Airfield"... where the computer AI will regard this as an airfield also and land there....... maybe set up a dialog with a camera view over head with small sliders to show how wide and how big you want the airfield to be considered. In the dialog lines could be on the screen showing the width and length of it that you have selected.

If you wanted to take this idea even farther... could have it set up where a buldozer addon could be brought in and switch out the terrain to be flatter or pave it to accomidate airplane take offs and landings biggrin_o.gif

Just an idea...it would make the game more dynamic

Setting up camps would be fun. But the airfield thingy sounded too complicated.

Only hard part would be on the BIS team to write coding for it.... biggrin_o.gif

For the player it would be just a simple dialog interface...with 5 sliders....

A slide for each side of the square and one turning the square to what ever direction you wanted

Hmmm...

I think setting up a camp could be a cool and realistic feature in OFP, allowing longer missions to be played. We could set a camp for the night, with sentinels and patrols, and the following day go on with the mission.

It's a feature I've missed in some missions. Or another, simplified version so that you could drop your bag before an assault for example.

But, for the airfield script, hum... Maybe too complicated.You can do it with a script and markers (don't ask me how tounge_o.gif ) for a chopper to land. Just blast some trees with charges and create an invisible H so that AI can land on it. It may as well land elsewhere, as the AI seems drunk round the clock crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Perhaps setting up LZ's for helo's, but you're not going to land a plane in the middle of a battle tounge_o.gif

i like the idea of the camps

but about the airfield : get real

setting up a fully fonctionnal airfield in the jungle (since the game will partly be played in vietnam) is one of the shittiest job a soldier could think of.

such thing would take between 1 and 2 weeks

first you have to cut a 50mx800/1000m rectangle in the jungle , remove any vegetal trace , you have then to harden the soil with several layers of different raw materials such as rocks , gravel , earth , sand and so , to avoid the planes to take off or land in the mud (which is pretty bad for a plane) and to avoid them to "sink" into the ground while parked which would make them unoperable or to get them stuck in a soft soil as they touch the ground

the same process goes for most of the other battlefield types with one difference :

if the plane is light , you can leave the low grass (if there's any)  on the airstrip because it will be some kind of natural fixing

-edit-:

when i give the numbers of 1 to 2 weeks , that's when you have normal mechanized support

in dense jungle with limited support it could take up to 1 month

I don't think this would be often used feature and it is not hard to script it, so why should BIS bother with it?

setting up a fully fonctionnal airfield in the jungle (since the game will partly be played in vietnam) is one of the shittiest job a soldier could think of.

first you have to cut a 50mx800/1000m rectangle in the jungle , remove any vegetal trace , you have then to harden the soil with several layers of different raw materials such as rocks , gravel , earth , sand and so , to avoid the planes to take off or land in the mud (which is pretty bad for a plane) and to avoid them to "sink" into the ground while parked which would make them unoperable or to get them stuck in a soft soil as they touch the ground

the same process goes for most of the other battlefield types with one difference :

if the plane is light , you can leave the low grass (if there's any)  on the airstrip because it will be some kind of natural fixing

-edit-:

when i give the numbers of 1 to 2 weeks , that's when you have normal mechanized support

That is an excellent idea. There should be a jungle knife as a weapon. In the third mission you'd have to clear an airfield so that backup can arrive. You wait for bulldozers but then you get a report that they were destroyed by the Vietcong. So you gotta do it with the knife. Here comes the fun part: You select your knife and when you press the fire button you swing the knife. You and the other soldiers clear the jungle for a month. Just think about it! Sitting in front of your computer for a month! That is soooooo coool!! I just can't wait for OFP 2 to come out!

-edit-:

That is an excellent idea. There should be a jungle knife as a weapon. In the third mission you'd have to clear an airfield so that backup can arrive. You wait for bulldozers but then you get a report that they were destroyed by the Vietcong. So you gotta do it with the knife. Here comes the fun part: You select your knife and when you press the fire button you swing the knife. You and the other soldiers clear the jungle for a month. Just think about it! Sitting in front of your computer for a month! That is soooooo coool!! I just can't wait for OFP 2 to come out!

you're right , OFP gameplay would be complete with that , and BIS woul hit a new customer target : the gardeners

i don't mind about setting helo LZ's , a non-cratering demolition charge is good enough for that , or at worst a WP grenade and a jungle knife will do

I think this would useless feature but it would be fun. You dont really need camps in missions after u dont have to sleep or eat. rock.gif

Assuming the terrain in OFP2 is as small as OFP1 soldiers wouldn't set up camp on an occupied island, its too small. IMO the biggest emplacement you would get would be a spec ops op, but as Acro said you don't sleep in game and who would play OFP for 24hrs+? rock.giftounge_o.gif

Wow....guess it was a bad idea....

I didn't necessarly mean for jungle use and that would be crazy to even do in a jungle...as you can tell there are several islands being made as well as other areas of the campaigns that will not include jungle.....

i didn't say that they need to waste their time on it but I thought it would be a good feature that makes OFP2 even more vercatile in scripting or mission play.... not sitting there clearing out an area for a month! ....it would just be nice to be able to set up a temporary airfield for close support as well as move in troops and supplies...

it would just give one more function in scripting capabilities for everyone...

just give something like the invisible helipad for helis ....just an invisible airstrip...... not asking for creating an international airport sad_o.gif

Well, Bullz_eye_on_my_back, it is not a bad idea just a bit too excessive. In fact I think that most of it can be done with scripts or addons. You can clear a drop zone for yourself the way I told you (satchels + helipad), and you can even add a smoke grenade just for fun smile_o.gif