Sign in to follow this  
Tibby595

Parachutes

I know on BF1942 my "move" wudn't be dun with OFP's parachutes

i fly up so high i lose control of my plane, jump out, drop a few satchels and then free fall to the ground

if i fly up on top right of map i can land on the bottom left of map eventually

wiv ofp's parachutes i'd open it and sit there for a few days! falling!

so, do u wont to hav a button to open ur parachute? not after jumping from plane but after a while??/

( i no this shud be a poll really)

There is already a HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) script out such as you mentioned... but yes - It would ease the gameplay a bit by allowing the opening of the parachute at the desired moment via the action menu without the use of scripts.

Also, a feature that is much needed - Ability to shoot a person when they are parachuting... and, if it's not too much trouble, ability to shoot while in the the parachute.

It would be a big improvement to select when to open your chute. I really like how toadlife (I think!) implemented the controls for the parachute with pulling the toggles to change direction or increase the rate of descent via the action menu. When parachuting there should be an option to view an altimeter using a hotkey like 'm' to bring up the map, so you know when to pull your chute, which is helpful when falling at 180mph! tounge_o.gif

Also pilots and aircrew must have an action menu option to inflate a liferaft when they hit the water to give some scope for SAR missions, especially to keep Jinef occupied!

It'd be cool for the parachute if like when you hit the actual shoot(not the person), it would make a hole in the chute, and once enough bullets hit, the chute would be useless. Also that could be cool w/ the liferaft(if you hit it w/ a bullet, it would start to deflate.)

those are good ideas except when it comes for a stick to get outta a c130 in a ripcord. I say they should be able to distinguish those to kinds of jumps in the game. Ripcord and freefall or HALO. But i would love to see a column of guys jumping outta a c130 1 by 1 much more realistic then everyone ejecting at the same time out of an impassable airplane fusalage.

A lot of Marines that had to parachute during veitnam didn't freefall at all. For example, my dad was part of a raid that they all jumped out of a Huey at a few thousand feet. Pull the chute right away, and float on down.

HALO w/o scripting would be a nice thing though. For things suchs as behind the lines missions. Or in some SEAL cases, across the border missions.

Whats really needed with parachutes with a faster rate of decent. Current OFP parachutes seem that you are actually partly filled with Helium and gently floating down. If you're jumping out of a plane with all all your gear, you're going to go down fast, and hit the ground hard.

You should be able to adjust your posture during freefall, as in speeding up or slowing you descent and changing direction. Plus we should be able to do displays in multiplayer like this;

skydivers.jpg

how cool would that be!!

You should be able to adjust your posture during freefall, as in speeding up or slowing you descent and changing direction. Plus we should be able to do displays in multiplayer like this;

http://www.lowther-drivingtrials.co.uk/images/mainimages/skydivers.jpg

how cool would that be!!

Pretty dumb if you ask me biggrin_o.gif

Military parachutes aren't ment to be directional. When you jump out of a plane, you want to drift with the rest of your squad so you don't land in the middle of nowhere searching for them.

I know static line type parachutes are not directional!! The controllable chutes are more for Spec ops troops who would actually do a HALO or HAHO jump. For example;

Quote[/b] ]Marine Corps force reconnaissance teams use a variety of insertion methods to advance to their area of operations. One of the primary methods of insertion involves the use of highly maneuverable square parachutes for High Altitude High Opening (HAHO) parachute operations.

As far as I know the Marine Corps is a military unit but I could be wrong!  tounge_o.gif

In current opf when you free fall without open chute you can stand up, crouch and prone...hmm i wonder if you can put your gun on back and salute or sit down rock.gif , im gonna try it just for the fun, could give a nice screenshot, i hope bis uses a cool animation for when we free fall in opf2.

I know static line type parachutes are not directional!! The controllable chutes are more for Spec ops troops who would actually do a HALO or HAHO jump. For example;
Quote[/b] ]Marine Corps force reconnaissance teams use a variety of insertion methods to advance to their area of operations. One of the primary methods of insertion involves the use of highly maneuverable square parachutes for High Altitude High Opening (HAHO) parachute operations.

As far as I know the Marine Corps is a military unit but I could be wrong!  tounge_o.gif

Thats why I agreed with HALO in my first post! biggrin_o.gif

There should be two or three types of parachutes, if you really want to do it right. You'd have the steerable parachutes that are used in HALO type jumps, you'd have a static-line operated nondirectional chute used by most airborne troops throughout the world, and of course you'd have an ejection seat complete with parachute which is so sadly lacking from the stock OFP planes smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]In current opf when you free fall without open chute you can stand up, crouch and prone...hmm i wonder if you can put your gun on back and salute or sit down , im gonna try it just for the fun, could give a nice screenshot, i hope bis uses a cool animation for when we free fall in opf2.

yes, you can. You can even plant satchels in mid air and detonate them.

no offense, but i hope you're not expecting BF42 in OFP2.

usually soldiers, especially infantry/airborne soldiers, do a "static line" jump, meaning their chutes are pulled as soon as they leave the airplane. the only time the US military uses accelerated freefall (when you pull the ripchord when you want to) is with special ops. even then probably only with HALO jumps, which we already have a script for. smile_o.gif

it'd be nice to see an option for accelerated freefall parachutes in OFP2, but since we already have a script for it i dont think it's too important.

Quote[/b] ]even then probably only with HALO jumps, which we already have a script for.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't it better to have it pre-made into the game? So all missions can have it? That way mission makers don't have to include a script...

It really annoys me when I kill a helo, but the pilot ejects, I don't think helos should be given parachutes, but thats my two cents.

It would be a big improvement to select when to open your chute. I really like how toadlife (I think!) implemented the controls for the parachute with pulling the toggles to change direction or increase the rate of descent via the action menu.

Nope that wasn't me who did the controllable parachute. I did write the most realistic (IMO) HALO script available that works with the standard parachutes...

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=462

Having it included somehow with the game would be nice...though I'm not sure how best it should be implemented.

wheneva i tried using scripts it cud neva find them..... even though i did wot the walk thru did...

i don't want BF1942 in ofp 2

just if i'm dogfighting 10,000 feet up ( a bit excagerrtaed,, but i do fly high)

but i mean free fall for a bit, or make the para's a bit FASTER

free fall till I open parachute, so I dont have to wait for 4 years to get to the ground

free fall till I open parachute, so I dont have to wait for 4 years to get to the ground

Exactly why we need a much faster rate of descent rom parachutes. Opening at a few thousand feet would only take minutes to get down. if that. Right now it would take a half hour to get down.

Kinda like when people opened their parachutes right away in that MP HALO coop mission biggrin_o.gif

Yeah that is sorta funny, their should be a sucide option for newbies.

I would like to open my parachute at the time of my choosing. It would just be easier. If we did get this some easier stearing of it would be nice, depending on if its a parachute that can be steared.

my 2cents.

to be honest I do HALO jumps in MP without a script all the time. I get in a helicopter, fly up really high, so high they cant see me, and hover over a target. then i'll just eject. the helicopter goes in and crashes and a few minutes later i lazilly drift into the target area. hopefully nobody's looking up while i'm at it. smile_o.gif