Sign in to follow this  
<>Crippler<>

Royal air force tornado gr4

AFAIK all the raf's aircraft now in the "new" all over grey scheme have grey nose cones too... might wanna change that... wink_o.gif

Otherwise, nicely done smile_o.gif

hmmm a good point acutaully deadmeat. not realy noticed. i will look at them more closely the next time they fly over my house

what you probebly saw was an F3 not a GR4, the F3's DO have gray nose cone, but if you get the chance look at the nose, they are different to reflect the different types of radar onboard

F3 with grey nose

look at that then at the GR-4, you will notice the F3's nose is slightly longer

edit: typos

Im sure the BBC Documentry Every Sunday at 9pm about british forces in Iraq showed them with Grey Nose cones.

I'm backing Acidcrash on this one. I recently saw a pair of Tornados sitting outside our hanger, an F3 and a GR4, guess which one had the black nose cone... wink_o.gif

edit: I noticed that MLF was actually saying that the nosecones were grey, and I thought he was saying it was Black. And MLF, I was watching that program aswell, Fighting The War, yeah? As I remember, the nose cones were black as the night, but that might just have been me, or the night...

fair enough, i couldn't tell the difference between a F3 and a GR4 if they were sat in front of me anyway smile_o.gif

You should add more shadow and light effects to the Textures, not only to the nose. that would really encrease the quallity.

Straight from the MOD

there actually dark grey it seems

<a href="http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/air/gr4_shelter.jpg" target="_blank">An RAF Tornado GR4 taxies from a shelter at an airbase in the Gulf

</a>

High Res Version of the Above (56k Killer)

<a href="http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/air/gr4a_nose.jpg" target="_blank">A GR4a, the reconnaissance variant of the Tornado, is prepared for a sortie

</a>

High Res Version of the Above. (56k Killer)

A Tornado GR4 is prepared for a night training sortie

High Res Version of Above (56k Killer)

Latest news on the RAF Tornados (and Harriers) is that prior to Deploying to the "Second Gulf War", ALL RAF Tornado GR Mk4/4A and Harrier GR Mk 7 were painted in ARTF (Alkaline Removeable Temporary Finish) which will, knowing the RAF, be kept, and looks a little like this:

45142408.jpg

Note: The Twin pods just under the nose (being FLIR and Laser Designators), denoteing that this aircraft is infact a GR.4

45142407.jpg

Again, the twin pods under the nose, denote this is a GR.4 (GR.4A in this case)

air-UK-Tornado_Storm_Missile.jpg

this picture shows an earlier GR.1 Tornado, witha mock up of the storm shadow cruise missile. You can clearly see that it only has one nose pod, and a black nose cone. This camo scheme was common on all RAF strike (GR) aircraft right up until early 2002. When the decision was made to switch to an "ADV" Grey scheme, similar to that found on the Tornado F Mk.3.

This is because, with the development of SAR (Synthetic Appeture Radar) with resoultions of up to 6 inches (15 cm) and the ability to penetrate up to 10-20 feet of earth/concrete, the need to camoflague the aircraft when on the ground was proved useless. As proven by the use of the E-8 JSTARS system in the gulf to find and designate Iraqi T-55's and T-72's that were well hidden behind meters of earth or so called "Kill berms" Anyway, the RAF has take the decision to try and make the aircraft blend in to the sky as much as possible, as they plan to have the aircraft out there on the front line as mush as possible.

Oh, and btw, the black nosecone paint or "tornado nosecone" does a really really great job of making your parade shoes shiny and clean  wink_o.gif

lol, MLF beat me to it tounge_o.gif

if ya was not writing all that laday da txt you would have beaten me tounge_o.gif

actually i think both Post complement each other with pictures and information smile_o.gif

lol reminds me, could have swore a tornado a saw a few weeks ago was pink tounge_o.gif

lol reminds me, could have swore a tornado a saw a few weeks ago was pink tounge_o.gif

Hmmm...Few weeks ago?? The RAF Tornados and other combat aircraft deployed in '91 were in "Desert Pink" and this scheme was removed shortly after the end of the war.

didnt they paint a couple pink this time? the tornados that fly over my house are from marnham i think

Like these ones you mean? (This scheme was applied during the first gulf war to all RAF aircraft in the operating area)

desert.jpg

16.dasa.jpg

didnt they paint a couple pink this time? the tornados that fly over my house are from marnham i think

There is a 50/50 Pinky-sandy/Grey mix version flying around with the SAOEU (Strike Attack Operations Evaluation Unit) but i'm not sure if that one is still in that scheme...

Not aware of any other RAF aircraft being pink atm... All the ones deployed to the gulf got the ARTF Grey scheme (its funny, cos to radio control modelers, ARTF means Almost Ready To Fly... says a lot dont it... crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif )

Hmmm...Few weeks ago?? The RAF Tornados and other combat aircraft deployed in '91 were in "Desert Pink" and this scheme was removed shortly after the end of the war.

Heehee like this? smile_o.gif

mytornado7.jpg

mytornado9.jpg

mytornado10.jpg

MiG Eaters eh wink_o.gif nice, that is DEFINATELY the GR.1 version (that scheme has never been applied to the GR.4 version)

Excuse my ignorance, but have you released that version?

You gonna release that Tornado there mate? rock.gif

The released version is excellent, thank you!

Quote[/b] ]Oh, and btw, the black nosecone paint or "tornado nosecone" does a really really great job of making your parade shoes shiny and clean

Dunno about you, but we call it "Tornado Paint" and if it cracks when its on your parade shoes, well, you, or they, are screwed! tounge_o.gif

I got it done (the paint on my shoes) at RAF Odiham (I know they operate CH-47's there, but for some reason, the paint shops on all RAF Bases have most of the colours in stock) cost me a tenner, and I've had it for about 2 years now. Works a charm, as long as you scratch the polish off back to the bear leather before you get them painted...

The "Tornado nosecone" or "tornado paint" probably just vaires around the country, like a regional accent would...

anyho.. enough off topic...

Back to the Tonkas...

oh come on painting them is cheating, no back breaking labour for weeks to get em perfect like when you use parade gloss! :P

mind, i did get em done to my ammo boots so i got no room to talk biggrin_o.gif

MiG Eaters eh wink_o.gif nice, that is DEFINATELY the GR.1 version (that scheme has never been applied to the GR.4 version)

Excuse my ignorance, but have you released that version?

No thats not released yet- I didnt really finish it off, but I think I will carry on with it smile_o.gif Oh, I was thinking- should I keep the current flare system on it, or swap it for Footmunch's completely autonomous one (as seen on the Buccanner v1.1 and my RAF Jag retexture), the only problem with that one being that it can be too effective. What do you think?

Crippler