Sign in to follow this  
killagee

Mg43 to mg4

MG43_1.jpg

According to HK Pro the new MG43 has been renamed the MG4 by the German Bundeswehr. Does this mean they are using it? Has anyone fired one? Is anyone going to make one for OFP?

Apparently it will be made in 5.56 as a SAW replacement and 7.62 as a GPMG replacement.

Below is a pic of the 102,000 round torture test...

tounge_o.gifmg43pile.jpg

Offtopic: Below is a photo from HK Pro I thought was interesting

g3610mags.jpg

I don't think the MG3 will be replaced as GPMG anytime soon. But yes the 5.56mm version is/will be in service soon.

But I don't know which units will get it.

It also need a paradigma change first, currently most standard german infantry tactics are (WW2 style) based around the MG3 which is currently used on squad level.

I don't yet know how this will changed, the MG4 might very well replace the MG3 on squad level but I think the MG3 will remain as platoon level GPMG.

I don't yet know if I like the idea of my squads losing the ability to reach out far with a 7.62mm GPMG.

Reminds me of an M249 for some reason.

Anyway, what's wrong with the MG42? biggrin_o.gif

Remember the "Gulf coast armory"?

Well, they've got dual MG42s. wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

I'm glad I was'nt in the infantry carrying that MG-3 or that old radio for that matter smile_o.gif

But the MG-3 was very fun to shoot. More fun than the M2 with he-ammo.

RRF´s, KSK, Gebirgsjäger and Fallschirmspringer will get the MG 4 on squad level. The MG 3 or MG 43 (noone actually calls it MG 43 in the BW) will stay with the BW. Due to its fire rate and range it won´t be put out of service that soon. It is an essential component for vehicle weapon systems.

From my head the MG3 is still used with the following vehicles:

M113

bw_mtw_m113ga1-001.jpg

TPZ Fuchs

03114.jpg

the Marder

and all transport trucks have the MG3 for self protection mounted.

Right now we are in a progress of altering the weapon concept for vehicles. The Dingo and Fennek line shows this:

pic00233_lr.jpg

The dingo can be equipped with a .50 cal machine gun or a GMW 40mm automatic grenade launcher. Additionally it can carry guided AT rockets.

bw_fennek_02.jpg

As you can see the MG3 still has it´s place in the BW. Although it is heavy and a second man has to carry ammo and the MG 3 service pack with reserve barrel it is still a good weapon with an impressive range, accuracy and firing rate (although the rate has been lowered after WW2).

Spain ( a user of the MG3 also) is considering too to change the MG3 for the HK Mg43 at infantryman level, and keep the MG3 for vehicles (we use it in Hummers, landys and BMR).

Looks like a reliable weapon and has a good bunch of improvements over the M-249 minimi.

They look quite similar but are diferent on the inside.

Below is a pic of the 102,000 round torture test...

tounge_o.gifpic

so who is the testee? the soldier or the gun? tounge_o.gif

whatever fits BW, they should get it.

Thanks for that info Balschoiw, but do you know if my beloved Lufwaffensicherung will get it too?

Not at the moment. The plans are to change MG3´s to MG4 for KRK forces first. Maybe in 5 years the infantry loadout will be standard for all units but I doubt it.

Im getting confused with all these ones.The only one i think of is the mg 42(?) which is in DoD and the ones that are extremely similiar that are in ravenshield,the 21E and 23E(??.

The MG42 is the one in DOD, as well as the MG34. (42 is the fast one that overheats, 34 is the slow one with small mag cap).

doesnt the german army name their guns by the year they were adopted into service? MG34 would be 1934 and so on.

doesnt the german army name their guns by the year they were adopted into service?  MG34 would be 1934 and so on.

that was in WW2

I think it sure looks a hell of a lot like the M240B/G (FN MAG), then again machine gun design hasn't changed much since the MG 42. If you can run one type, you can figure most others out pretty fast. I would loooove to get a tour of the HK factory and perhaps get a chance to shoot everything. That or perhaps a chance to cross train with the Germans. They sure know how to build some weaponry.