Sign in to follow this  
USSoldier11B

Weapons & ammo

I think there are several things people like myself would like to see that would improve game play.

1. Command detonated claymore mines. Yes, satchel charges do somewhat fulfill this role, but not entirely. Something that models the horizontal kill zone of a claymore would be cool. Something that has a unidirectional area of destruction, with a much more minimal one to the rear, like a real claymore.

2. Indirect fire that can be called from the map screen. Some scripters attempted to make arty but it was far too buggy, and arty add-ons are not truly indirect fire. Perhaps a unit (soldier) that is uniquely able to spot arty. Of course the arty would have to consist of real units at a fire base (coolness factor)

3. More types of booby traps and other battlefield obstacles.

4. Napalm & Cluster bombs. biggrin_o.gif

Check my other thread. I think we should have a fully controllable interface to choose which mines to detonate at any given time. This way you could lay out mines around your perimeter and only detonate the ones needed to attack the target instead of detonating all of the laid mines simultaneously.

1. Ya, and speaking of claymores, I have a little model suggestion. My dad was in NAM, and I asked him about claymores one time. He said there was a clear printed "DO NOT EAT" on each of the mines biggrin_o.gif

2. Coolness Factor, that made me feel so good when you said that, it's good to be by an American! smile_o.gif. It would kick ass to have actual artillery. But we'd need instructions on how to use them. Better than WAG method with the M203. Don't want arty going to the really, really wrong place.

I could see some problems with MP Arty, a new guy getting a hold of cannon and just blasting off into the air.

But some complicated stuff would be a very nice addition to the game.

3. Booby Traps, eep! But I'll have to agree on that. They sucked, for our soldiers, but they sucked for the NVA as well.

4. "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!"

biggrin_o.gif

I was just thinking this morning about how to implement booby traps. You would have to be able to lay down a trip wire. You could have a command function like "Place Tripwire" tied to a new animation, and then you could start the wire placement with a mouse click and end it with another mouse click. The wire should only be able to be stretched a maximum distance of like 5-6 meters or something. The wire could then act like a long, thin narrow field for a trigger. It should be able to be connected to a grenade, mine, satchel, or custom made booby trap (like a wired artillery round, or tin can charge etc...). The explosive could then be hidden in a bush, near a tree, or buried underground like when hiding a body in the game now.

Sapping would be a cool booby trap. Make a small tunnel under a pathway a tank is gonna be coming. Blow the tunnel, ground collapses and the tank gets stuck for a while biggrin_o.gif

hav u guys been playing bf1942 rock.gif and vietcong?

they hav the arty and the trap things u wer on about

and they actually do it quite well

except from wen u get a newb or a jackass on it

then the messyness factor goes way up

I was just thinking this morning about how to implement booby traps.  You would have to be able to lay down a trip wire.  You could have a command function like "Place Tripwire" tied to a new animation, and then you could start the wire placement with a mouse click and end it with another mouse click.  The wire should only be able to be stretched a maximum distance of like 5-6 meters or something.  The wire could then act like a long, thin narrow field for a trigger.  It should be able to be connected to a grenade, mine, satchel, or custom made booby trap (like a wired artillery round, or tin can charge etc...).  The explosive could then be hidden in a bush, near a tree, or buried underground like when hiding a body in the game now.

Thats how its done in Vietcong, you place the nade stick, move away drom it and then you click again to place the string wich is atached to another small stick, it woks nice because you can hide it well in the bushes and because maps are very small, imagine the chances of catching someone with that on Nogova tounge_o.gif , it would work nice on clays and maybe flares though.

I agree.

Well, as for OFP 1, here's what we have, and here's how BIS can improve on it for OFP 2:

1. jostapo and I made a little mod called CoC_Mines. It's distributed with SEB NP2, and can also be downloaded from our site. The claymore fire shrapnels out in a cone more or less to specs (but maybe 200 pieces instead of 600). Remote detonation workks, We handle MP bandwidth issues by spoofing shrapnel.

They could make this automatic -- you'd need:

A) a class of object that is "remote detonated"

B) A .cpp-described AP explosion, with the CPP describing the shrapnel field in terms of arc, elevation and skew (i.e., 1 = linear distribution, 2 = ^2 deviation from center, etc).

C) along with this, the MP code that just transmits "This object blew up", and hardwired spoofing.

To make the things as FPS-friendly as possible, we had to remove the "Do not eat" message unfortunately.

2. We're currently heading up a project called "CoC Unified Artillery". You place assets (like a platoon of DKM m109s, or the UKF M270 MLRS) on the map, maybe a radio object, or the Forward Observer type. That guy calls up the radio, gets on the asset's push, sets aimpoints on the map, and calls for fire. The shells fly across the map and hit the target. If you get hit by an HE shell, deathcam takes you all the way back to the firing unit -- that is, we're not "cheating". IT works in MP.

We haven't had real artillery before for a variety of reasons, which boild down to two: A) it hasn't been possible B) it isn't easy, and C) it takes a lot of work.

When I'm done, I'd be happy to draw up a list of every hack we've had to resort to in order to get this to work,a nd how BIS could make artillery feasible without such trouble.

3) yes.

4) Cluster Bombs -- again, if BIS gave a generalized AP explosion class that were hardwired (with hardwired MP effects), our job would be easier.

::Imagines self causing chaos by seizing enemy fire base::

hehehehe

and I though stealing tanks was fun tounge_o.gif

::Imagines self causing chaos by seizing enemy fire base::

hehehehe

and I though stealing tanks was fun tounge_o.gif

stealing tanks will always be fun...capturing their firebase...now theres an idea biggrin_o.gif

4. Napalm & Cluster bombs. biggrin_o.gif

We already have these from the Support Pack by SnYper.

/\-/\-/\-/\-/\

\/-\/-\/-\/-\/

Hudsons F/A 18 Pack with the Clusterbombs

If you don't like reading readmies, I'll tell you now you need a special description.ext (I think its that one) in the mission you wish to use cluster bombs. Whatever it is, it's in the pack, so just put that into the mission.