Sign in to follow this  

Ask a mod

Is it in any way possible to make the online list longer?

I mean when you click on the View Complete list button you get 4/5 pages. Is it possible to narrow this down to 2 pages (more results on one page)

Greets,

FW200

Hmm well you can do it manually, I know it's not the perfect solution but it works smile_o.gif

If you look at the two numbers at the end of the url (after you've clicked to go to a different page).......

all;pp=25;st=25

The first number is how many online people to show per page, the second number is where to start from (in this example it starts from the 25th online person, so changing it to all;pp=50;st=0 will show 50 people per page starting from the first person on the list.

Don't know if it'll work but this link is to the online list with 50 people per page starting from the first smile_o.gif

Why im seeing old threads popping up at offtopic for no apparent reason? wow_o.gif

Think if you vote in them they come back to the top

Was going to try to see if that's the case, but wont.

Apologies I turned that option on without thinking, it's back to off again smile_o.gif

How long is the gangbang thread (aka Iraq thread) is going to be lock? Got some news about Iraq intel from the russians.

Not really a question, but more like a suggestion since I could not think of a place to put it.

Your search function for threads is really horrible. It gives you no idea or clue as to search when it comes to a larger and more popular thread. I search for, say, Hmmv pack 1.7, in the addons area and I get the entire thread. It does not specify as to where in the thread I could find the object of my desire.

I hope its not an issue, but I beleive the search function could be alot more specific as to the location of the word or what you are looking for.

It's an ikonboard limitation, so there is very little the mods can do.

A few months ago, I got fed up at manually searching the Iraq thread, so I wrote a small, very primitve search tool. Now, this was never intended for public release, but here you go anyway. I've included the source as well, in case anybody would want to make a more proper thing out of it.

pfst.jpg

Download: forsearch.zip

You need microsoft .NET 1.1 framework installed. If you've done your windows updates, you should have it already. If not, download it here from ms. You'll need it sooner or later anyhow.

If you have it installed then all you need is the "forsearch.exe" program. Start it and do your searching.

Ok, about the search tool. It's quite primitive - a brute force search. You define the thread and the range of pages and it searches all of them for a string you specify. It's slow as it downloads the whole html for every page it searches.

AS for using it, the interface should be pretty much self-explanatory. Under thread, you put the thread URL. For instance this topic would be:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=11;t=31544

(ends with t=threadnr)

start page, end page: pages of the topic to start and end the search

search string: the text you wish to search for. it searches for an exact match only.

Don't expect too much of it, and no I won't be releasing any new versions. This is what it is.

when i try and put a link like

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">www.afl.com.au

is goes

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">www.flashpoint1985.com/afl.com.au

whats goin on rock.gif

ohhh http:// wink_o.gif

forgots abouts that.

Is there any easy way to check if you have .NET installed?

Like Denoir said; run Windows Update and see if it shows up in the "Windows"-section smile_o.gif

If it does'nt, it means you have it.

Easiest way IMO.

I think the closing of the OFP Combat Photo thread is inidcative of the overly restrictive rules imposed on that thread.

I think you guys need to loosen up on the unique rules imposed on this thread.

or just raise the warning level of the people who produce useless chat, after 2-3 boxes the´ll know what´s right or wrong wink_o.gif

And what was the actual cause of that action taken against the combat photo thread?

It is a mystery to me. rock.gif

And what was the actual cause of that action taken against the combat photo thread?

It is a mystery to me. rock.gif

Is it because of my post, where I asked not to quote pics, did I had to PM him that he shouldn't quote pics?   rock.gif

It was meant well, since I didn't want the thread to close sad_o.gif

or just raise the warning level of the people who produce useless chat, after 2-3 boxes the´ll know what´s right or wrong  wink_o.gif

This is pretty nasty. You get your kicks from posting pics there but a lot of us viewers have comments and questions that are mostly legit. And when they're not, the thread should be no different than any other.

If pic posters would adhere to the 100K and addons used details, most of the remaining non-pic posts are still relevant one way or the other.

I guess it is not your fault as I totaly agree with TheAvonLady.

Those rules will have us post at certain limits soon. No more that 10 post a day.

Forum threads are for people who want to talk. What are we supposed to do? Make a discussion thread of combat photo thread?

Sending a pm doesn't stimes bring the expected results as some peoples say they don't read it at all.

And stimes a shot is so cool that if they send their 100 PMs noone is able to reply, which is impolite.

It wasn't closed merely for the "don't quote image tags" comment, there was nothing wrong with that smile_o.gif

I've said repeated times, if people post pics of their own they can ask as many questions as they like, Parvus is a good example of that, he often asks a question or makes a comment in his first line then follows it with a bunch of images smile_o.gif

That thread is there for sharing combat photography, no more, no less, that's why it has rules pertinent to that thread and only that thread, other basic forum rules should always be followed.

Avon you bringing up the complaint is rather ironic as you're one of the few who continues to spam the thread, yes I noticed you post a screenshot a couple/few weeks ago but that still leaves your spam ratio rather high.

We have 3 options IMO........

1. Continue like this, we moderators try to enforce the rules, you guys try to self moderate the thread e.g. Ironsight and usually all is well, occasionally it may get closed for a few hours.

2. I change the rule in there to zero comment tolerance, if a reply doesn't contain a new, self made combat photography image it gets deleted.

3. We give out WL+ for each infraction.

Personally I'd say 3 is too harsh, 2 is too limiting, 1 seems the best solution.

And no there isn't an option 4 where we go back to no specific rules for that thread, else we end up skipping 20 posts between screenshots like the first thread.

Avon you bringing up the complaint is rather ironic as you're one of the few who continues to spam the thread

On the contrary! I was hoping for a green light. sad_o.giftounge_o.gif

2. I change the rule in there to zero comment tolerance, if a reply doesn't contain a new, self made combat photography image it gets deleted.

3. We give out WL+ for each infraction.

Personally I'd say 3 is too harsh, 2 is too limiting, 1 seems the best solution.

And no there isn't an option 4 where we go back to no specific rules for that thread, else we end up skipping 20 posts between screenshots like the first thread.

My opinion is take either option 2 or 3.

The thread cannot go back to how it was with one pictures per page and the rest talk, however it can't go on like this with summary lock downs, as i fear that regardless of how often the thread is locked people will still 'chat' unless there are consequences for them.

While i understand why the thread was locked it is the old story, locking it impacts more on those that post daily it than those 'perpetrating' the infractions

I, and I alone accept responsibility for closing the thread. As Placebo said, it wasn't closed due to Ironsight's comment, but rather the breach of forum rules that he commented on (I would have locked it regardless of his comment).

Seriously, go and have a cruise through the thread, and see just how often Placebo, myself and the other mods have had to manually remove pics over 100kb, manually remove image tags in quotes, and continually remind people of various rules. If you think the temporary locking of the thread due to these many, MANY breeches of the rules was over the top, I honestly think you are overreacting.

I mean, I enjoy posting pics in that thread as much as the rest of you do. I didn't close it just to piss people off or for a power trip - I closed it to get people's attention. With the volume of rule breeches in the thread, indivdual warnings and punishements would have been both extremely difficult to enforce, and IMHO less effective. I don't like to punish the well behaved majority for the infractions of the few, but I think a temporary closure is better for everyone than allowing it to degenerate into a spamfest with quoted pics appearing over and over every few posts which requires permanent locking.

At the end of the day I took on the responsibility of being a moderator to help keep the forum dedicated to my favoutrite game running smoothly, not to win any popularity contests. Besides, if you really want to blame someone, blame the people who break the rules.  sad_o.gif