Sign in to follow this  
Evishion

3d studio max

hey..

I have heard that I better get 3D studio MAX to make the start of a island with visitor...

but-..-.....

is 3d studio max around 600mb? wow_o.gif

just wounder

1. you don't need 3ds max to make islands, you can use

tga's to define all the terrain and then fine tune it in bulldozer

3ds max would probably slow you down in fact, especially if

you have no idea how to use it.

2. 3ds max is about 60 mb

hm...

Well.-- rock.gif uh....do u think u can help me and explain how to make a "VERY" easy island from the start?

just to tell me how to "rais" the island from the start...I cant get it...same fuck what I do..its just water...plz help!

If you do have an equivilant program(i have psp7), what do you do?

PS: regardless of the size, isn't 3ds studio max a little on the expensive side?

Anyone got a small guide to make heightmaps from start to finish instead of giving us sample heightmaps?  Maybe in paintshop pro and photoshop 7?

PSP7 image tutorial:

Basically you need to make a 24 bit image the size of your future map (ie. 256x256, 512x512 etc.). The background color should be black. The best thing to do now is to use the freehand selection tool to mark the island area, and then color this in dark grey. Now leave this area selected so you don't draw outside of it, and use the retouch tool (using lightness up) to make hills and mountains. When you are done, get rid of the selection by clicking on one of the selection tools and then right-clicking on the map. Now go to Effects-->Blur-->Average, set the filter aperture to somewhere around 10 and then press ok. This will make the image nice and smooth, to create a good hill effect. Now all you need to do is go to Masks-->New-->Show all and then to Save to Alpha channel. This will add your Alpha channel and turn your file into a 32 bit RGBA image. Save your image as uncompressed TGA.

Now you can use Kegety's wonderful TGA2ASE utility to turn the TGA into a heightmap and VOILA! Your island is ready to be imported into Visitor 2 light.

Cheers

Thanks madDogX, I'll try that. smile_o.gif

Nice one m8y thanks for that. wink_o.gif

well--I must say.. I have an pic on tga as I converted to ASE----what next?

1, Open Visitor

2, Project ---> New

3, In the box select size. Leave that on 256*256and press Ok

4, Now all you see is some blue water....

5, Project ---> Import terrain

6, In the dialog box click "Find" And locate your ASE file

7, Then set Max and Min elevation to what you want and press Ok

8, Press the sixth button on the second row called "Elevation-Gray scale"

9, Zoom out the map so that you see the whole thing

smile_o.gif

thx ..that helped me alot biggrin_o.gif

but..... .tga pics-is that how the island shall look?...actually I used bis's .ase....well..I did as u told me and the island looks like the tot island...so...do I "form" the island with .tga ---> ASE?

in that case. can u tell me how to make...not so damn good in it.

I have:

photoshop and paintshop pro

biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif everything is working FINE... biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

without 1 thing......I have the island imported.....but in buldozer I can only see water..why?

You need to put textures on it.  Just look in the tutorial from the Breathe site. After that you need to make sure there is a check by "Connect To Bulldozer" in Visitor under the Project menu.  If not click there.  Then maybe reload bulldozer, by clicking the one below.

Damn fast Donkey (name tells it everyhting biggrin_o.gif). I apologize posting same link biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif .

Ok I think it wasn't even a minute that mattered it was a second.

biggrin_o.gif

I added an anotehr reply but it dident show up rock.gif

anyway.....1 more thing..when I try to add some stuff from teh tot island like houses and trees and etc, then it just be osme "things" no trees and houses..just things.. rock.gifrock.gif

how do I get real trees and houses? not things...

sry my english