Sign in to follow this  
lonesoldier

Davidian

*EDIT: Setcaptive is ON. You will NOT be shot at.*

*VOTE PLEASE*

Straight to the point.

This mission is already finished, but im not going to release it until ive added as many cool features as possible.

As you may have gathered by the topic title, ive tried my hardest to make this mission as scary as possible, by using some of the following methods:

----------------------

*Sounds from Shadowman, including slow and creepy spine chilling music.

*Sounds from Rainbow Six, such as radio chatter and distress calls etc.

*Sounds from Medal of Honor, such as rain pounding on tin roofs in the sheds and houses.

*Use of fog and heavy rain, and a setting in the early morning sunrise, when the sky is bright red.

*Graveyard, complete with sounds of crows and wolves, and also sounds from shadowman play as you slowly creep through the graveyard.

*Destroyed houses and smashed up fences.

And plenty more sh*t.

The way ive used the sounds i think is impressive.

For example, when you walk up to the house it plays a sound of rain pounding on the tin roof, and as you walk through it a slow and haunting sound plays, then when you exit it, the rain sound cuts out.

Also as you walk through the graveyard you spot two bodies and a spooky sound echo's through the speakers, amongst wolves and crows.

When an enemy is killed the player says a random sound from Rainbow Six, such as "tango down", or "threat neutralised".

Thats only SOME of the cool things that happen.

-------------

The mission isnt just sounds and effects.

You are tasked with the job of rescuing two hostages from an abandoned house, crawling with Davidian Cult members.

If you are detected the hostages are executed.

BUT. The main reason this needs BETA Testing is:

Because i need feedback on how well you think the sounds/effects were used, and what other things i could implement to make it scarier.

Ive had plenty of BETA testers that tested this aaaages ago, before the sounds were implemented.

Also, it would be cool if you guys could give me a sh*tload of suggestions on what other features i could add to the gameplay side of things.

Im waiting for someone to make an addon of a guard dog, so that i can have dogs walking around the graveyard etc.

The mission is 5.3mb, but well worth it.

Hope to see some replies ASAP!

DOWNLOAD

Edited by W0lle
Working link added

I downloaded the addons needed but get this missing addon error: "FLPM4A1S", did you use any other addons?

RED

Hmmm, i just checked ofpec, and i DID put a wrong link.

They seem to have removed the addon i used.

Ill upload the addon to my site tomorrow afternoon.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

I voted almost scary.

Basicly the sounds were ok, and to a point it added plenty of atmosphere to the mission, but I didnt feel it was scary enough. The choice of music at the begining, kind of drowned out the other atmospheric sounds used and to be honest I got fed up with it, I would suggest lowering the volume level for the music somewhat, remember less is more, but increase the 'ambience' sounds a little. I would suggest you use some other music too, it just didnt work for me, perhaps some sort of deep southern american,backwater cultish banjo music perhaps? lol

Also include sounds and dialogue of the terrorists talking to each other, maybe about what they are plotting to do or plan to do.

On the positive side, I liked the Rainbow Six 'Tango Down', the rain sounds when inside the house.

The graveyard with the bodies was a surprise when I stumbled upon them!

Edit:

Add a choice of weapons to select, like a MP5 and sidearms, like a glock or beretta. Flippers M4A1 is ok, but give the player options....

I downloaded the addons needed but get this missing addon error: "FLPM4A1S", did you use any other addons?

RED

Yeah wrong link.

I found the correct  add on required here.

By the way I got an error message at the start of the main intro as: 'Music, phtitle not found'. There was no music for the intro.

You must've exceeded your bandwith allocation for today because the link isn't working. Says too much data transferred or something like that.

Yes the scary part of this mission is that it is hosted on Geocities biggrin_o.gif

I voted almost scary, you have the making of a good scary mission. It would be better to take the player off captive as it would force him/avon to slow down. The music didn't play in the intro and in the radio menu, I got a missing music file error. The environmental effects were way too loud (I could barely hear my gun fire!) and the continual looping drove me mad.

If you sort out a few things I think you will have a very good mission smile_o.gif

RED

It crashed me to my main menu after giving me that missing music error.

You can get rid of the missing addon warnings by replacing the FLPM4A1S with FLPM4A1 and the FLPSoldierWM4A1S with FLPSoldierWM4A1 in the mission.sqm. But i get a muzzle bug, which destroys atmosphere sad_o.gif

smile_o.gif  I don't know what kind of mission this is,but I'll test it.

wooo....

Quote[/b] ] Also, it would be cool if you guys could give me a sh*tload of suggestions on what other features i could add to the gameplay side of things.

Sure

I think it's scary.

It's not easy to create something like this in Operation Flashpoint, and I don't believe, that there can be done much more to make a "spooky" mission in this game.

Good Work!

Thinks that should be changed:

- Already mentioned:

Enemys should attack the player

Some guards should talk about their scary plans to add more atmosphere

- phtitle.ogg and lvlbak01.ogg are in the sound folder and not in the music folder and there are music-missing-errors while playing, even if i copy them into \music

- The ambience sounds (asylum, avery, horror) are ok, but lower the volume of them

- You say that the playercharacter is talking over the radio, that there are sounds of wolves and crows at the graveyard and that the sound of the Rain is changing inside of buildings.

Well, the only things I really heared were: Constant rain (almost not changing) , ambience sounds (asylum, horror ect), only the *krrsht* from the radiotalkings and sometimes my gun.

The volume of the soundfiles has to be altered like this:

[sorted from loud...]

gunfights

radiotalking

The sound of rain on the roofs and inside of the buildings

Crows, Wolves

Orchestral ambience sounds (asylum.ogg ect)

Music files

The sound of rain in open areas (i think it's supposed to be an custom one, because i heard all the mission a louder rainsound then the original OFP rainsound)

[...to quiet]

Another suggestion:

What about making also a "light" Version of the mission, that's not using the terrorist and M4 addons?

You could use a mix of resistance and civilian militia (editor addon) or only the civilian milita as enemys.

And a selection of the original OFP weapons XMS, MP5, M4, AUG, G36, Ingram and Beretta/Glock Pistol in the Briefing.

Don't get me wrong, the two Addons you selected add to the atmosphere, but after playing your mission i will delete them, because i don't need them for anything else. That means when i try to play the mission months later, i will have to search for the addons to get it running again. (do you think i will? smile_o.gif ) - For the replayvalue such a second Version would just be fine.

It's quite creepy. smile_o.gif

I love the rain, "music", ambiance, setting, it all adds to the atmosphere.

One thing though, is that there are two missing sounds, phtiltle, and lvbak01. rock.gif

I'd love to see this fixed in a future update, maybe?

It's good to see some different missions out now, it's quite hard to get this kind of ambience in OFP. Good work. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]- The ambience sounds (asylum, avery, horror) are ok, but lower the volume of them

I dont know how to lower the sound/music volume through OFP, apart from fadesound.

Quote[/b] ]You must've exceeded your bandwith allocation for today because the link isn't working.  Says too much data transferred or something like that.

Sorry, Gayocities does suck.

Quote[/b] ]the continual looping drove me mad.

The looping of which sound(s)?

Quote[/b] ]I would suggest you use some other music too, it just didnt work for me, perhaps some sort of deep southern american, backwater cultish banjo music perhaps?

Dude, im an Aussie, i have no idea what music you are requesting that i add  tounge_o.gif

BUT, ill take a look through the Shadowman music files, and see if i can find some better music.

The reason i chose the current music is because i thought it added a more horror theme/serial killer style sound.

But, as i said, ill see what i can do.

As for the sound errors, ill fix them ASAP.

Once ive fixed them, ill chuck the fixed .sqm and other necessary files onto the Geocities webpage, so that you dudes dont have to download the WHOLE mission again.

*EDIT*

Quote[/b] ]The sound of rain in open areas (i think it's supposed to be an custom one, because i heard all the mission a louder rainsound then the original OFP rainsound)

[...to quiet]

Another suggestion:

What about making also a "light" Version of the mission, that's not using the terrorist and M4 addons?

You could use a mix of resistance and civilian militia (editor addon) or only the civilian milita as enemys.

And a selection of the original OFP weapons XMS, MP5, M4, AUG, G36, Ingram and Beretta/Glock Pistol in the Briefing.

Don't get me wrong, the two Addons you selected add to the atmosphere, but after playing your mission i will delete them, because i don't need them for anything else. That means when i try to play the mission months later, i will have to search for the addons to get it running again. (do you think i will? ) - For the replayvalue such a second Version would just be fine.

Yes, the rain sound is a custom one, because the OFP rain sounds shit IMO.

As for weapons selection, ill add a small choice of guns. Silenced weapons ONLY, as the terrorists will kill the hostages if they hear a loud gunshot.

Also, about an alternate version - why would you delete the addons after playing the mission? Theyre not very big in size.

I find that the terrorist skins suits the mission, civilians skins wouldnt IMO.

The enemies arent civilians in the mission, they are a terrorist cult.

Ok, the Updated files can be found at my site. BUT, my data transfer is full or something, and you should be able to get the files within an hour(so it says). mad_o.gif

Anyway:

*Changed - Turned Setcaptive OFF, so you can now be shot at.

*Changed - Usual rain sound has been removed, so that you can hear gunshots/voices etc.

I have also added a weapon loadout in the briefing screen. BUT, if you happen to choose a different weapon other than the M4A1 SD, the player will say "Weapon's Dry" when the mission starts.

Why?

Because i had a trigger set up that would detect when the weapon is out of ammo, and say "Weapons' Dry"(magazine empty). But if you choose a different gun, the trigger will think that there are no more bullets for the M4A1 because it ISNT THERE!

That problem CANNOT be fixed.

There is now no more rain sound for when you are walking around outside buildings, but when you enter buildings it still has rain pelting on the roofs.

As for the music, it is still there. I searched through the Shadowman music directory, and all the music tracks are either too fast, or just plain shit. tounge_o.gif

If you watch the intro it will still say you are missing a certain sound file, but just ignore that. The sound will still play.

There are NO other errors that i am aware of.

THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD VERY SOON:

Here are some things id like to add in the very near future.

A dialog box at the start of the mission, that has 3 pre-made kits that you can choose from.

Kit 1: Scout Kit - M24 SWS, Ingram, Binoculars, Grenades, Smoke Shells.

Kit 2: Assault Kit - M4A1 SOPMOD, Glock, Binoculars, Grenades, Smoke Shells, Flashbangs.

Kit 3: Stealth Kit - MP5SD, Glock Silenced, Grenades, Flashbangs (if possible), Smoke Shells.

The main thing i really want to add is Flashbangs, if they can be made at all.

Any other idea's?

I also want to have a better intro, as the one that is in the mission i didnt make, and i particularly dont like very much.

But i cant make intro's for shit. tounge_o.gif

More idea's, feedback and feature suggestions ARE NEEDED!

Cheers.

I found music clips you could use in the final:

Meat Packing Outro Cool for an outro cutscene

Ravenshield Intro Cool for a Intro cutscene

I know they are more action-y but I think they could fit. smile_o.gif

I'll find more clips later......

Edit:Where do I put all the files?

Suggestion: Can you use some BAS addons

IE) Deltas?

Hmmm, i somehow dont think the Raven Shield theme is 'dark' enough.  tounge_o.gif

The update files? Just put them in the mission folder. Overwrite the old files with the 3 updated ones.

*EDIT*

Ill see if the BAS units suit the mission.

Ill post again soon with my thoughts. biggrin_o.gif

Woo!

Almost finished the intro.

Just need a few sounds from Shadsy. Ill check those 2 tracks out there too mate.  biggrin_o.gif

The Intro is very simple and short. Its basically my first scripted intro.

As usual, ill get people to test it and give suggestions on what kindda shit to add to it.  wink_o.gif

*EDIT*

I tested those 2 SOAF sounds, and they both skip.. and then just... cut out. sad_o.gif

And another thing, you don't need to use Ags terrorists' the ingame bis FIA sniper looks exactly the same and has better textures.

Wouldnt it look a little repetitive?

Having 30-odd terrorists who all look the same?

If i DID use the FIA Sniper, then id have to give all 30-odd guys AK-47's, which would take bloody ages. tounge_o.gif

If i DID use the FIA Sniper, then id have to give all 30-odd guys AK-47's, which would take bloody ages.  tounge_o.gif

You could just copy and paste the code into the init field of each soldier, it would only take a couple of minutes. Or you could set-up a trigger to change the weapon loadout of all the enemies using the foreach command.

RED

Good idea, BUT, wouldnt all the soldiers look oddly familiar?

Anyway - Click the link below to check out a new pic, it has a health bar in the lower left corner. There is only 1 red triangle there. When the health is full there are 10 red ones around that circle. But as your health gets lower, there are less squares. Having a couple little problems getting it to work perfectly.

DAVIDIAN HEALTH BAR