Sign in to follow this  
ZiRo

Terrains

Lads, if you make terrains and dont want to use them, upload them and post them here, maybe someone else could find a use for them..

im having problems making mine look good...

most of the ones i make have massive cliffes near the rivers or edges, annoying.

and can any1 explain the terrin errosion.

and can any1 explain why my builder displays seethrough ground sometimes?

-ZiRo

Lads, if you make terrains and dont want to use them, upload them and post them here, maybe someone else could find a use for them..

im having problems making mine look good...

most of the ones i make have massive cliffes near the rivers or edges, annoying.

and can any1 explain the terrin errosion.

and can any1 explain why my builder displays seethrough ground sometimes?

-ZiRo

To the best of my investigation it is erosion factors that weather does to the land. EG. In the Tut Isle I expiremented with it and managed to take the Island down to the sea floor ROFLMAO.

The gen tells the program how many times to run the factors you put in. Therefore a 1000 days of constant rain with an erosion fact of 25% will take that bloody pile of sand down to the sea floor in only 4 days. Strange the resulting 996 days of rain didnt raise the sea level smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

If anyone can help me get this map into visitor i will be happy. Ive made it and thats the result i got in 3dms3. Im new to this here modding scene and just thought i would go create a island. Basically i want it to be the size of EVERON. Im sure you all must have played that map. Its for a league that my team is in and basically i want to improve the lag and desync issues along with maps that are fair on both sides. Heres how i envision the 1st map i hopefully will produce.

post-2-1056212451.jpg

If anyone can help please contact me at jeftec2001@yahoo.com

you do relise they gonna have a hard time getting up that wall.. and wouldnt it have been easier to do a 128x128 then copy mirror weld, copy mirror weld? it isnt exactly the same on both sides ;)

-ZiRo

i just wanna get it in to visitor first then learn what i have to go back on and change certain aspects of the island. Ya right about the corner hills tho they are high but this is my first real go at doing this so hopefully i will get better wink_o.gif

Max > Export > .ASE

Visitor > Import Terrain > find it

the plane must have been 256x256 with 256x256 segments in pixle measurements.

-ZiRo

Did all that lol.  Still comes out as a totally different Island here i will show you the way i see it and export it from 3dsm3 in "ASCII Scene Export (*.ASE)" format.

post-2-1056382061.jpg

And what i get when i import the terrain into visitor

post-2-1056382108.jpg

I have 3 terrains I somehow think I am not going to do much work on.. (these where trials just to see what could be done, I have enough other islands to deal with now I know it works)

All 3 have real world based elevations with minor enhancements, although are not scaled to real world size (2 use 1km elevation points applied at 50m)

2 of them are 25.4k x 25.4k and one is a 12.8k x 12.8k

Contact me if you interested.

These have potential to be good terrains with someone who can visualize what they want.

Jeftec. If you are totally stuck, send me your max file. I can convert it to ase and then import it to Visitor and send it to you. Just post how high should the highest part be (max 2000m) and how deep is the deepest part (max -1000m) and what should be under water.

Send info and your max file here: henry.kouva@pp.inet.fi

Hi Hekezu its ok im am sorted now it was because i didnt add a alpha channel and also i was exporting the tga compressed crazy_o.gif cheers for your help and all the help of others. wink_o.gif

ok....lol 1 more thing......uh..I copyed some object like houses and trees and etc from the totisland....I past it in my island, and when I run buldozer,they are like some weird.....things... rock.gif uh...can anyone explain how to make the objects normall?

I don't post my greyscale images, but I show you what I'm working on. They are already in Visitor and texturing is going on.

I think many of you knows the islands and doing holiday there sometimes.

ciahome.jpg

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

P.S.: I know that the islands in real have another placement, but I like it so and they are bigger then doing like original placement.

I have done similiar with Gibralter and Northern California

Both taken from 1km resolution height maps, they still look quite good

I haven't found heightmaps of the islands. Built by myself with photoshop. Also no DEMs found. But WorldBuilder, 3DS MAX and Photoshop are helfpull tools for doing this :-).

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

if you use the google images erach facility looking for 'height map' u find a few images that can be used

Hey gang,

Lobanak: in reference to those two images of your island you posted above, how did you get from the image on the left to the Visitor image on the right?

Sorry for the noob question, but I've read through most of the topics and tutorials here on this forum, but I'd like to hear how someone who knows how it's all done how they go about making their islands. There seems to be so many ways to generate the terrain you need for Visitor (I can use Visitor ok), but I'm confused about the best path to take. I'm considering going with the Terragen option as I am already well versed in using Terragen..

Cheers for any advice you can give. smile_o.gif

Its easy when you get used to it. Basically heights are depicted by black and white and all the other greys in between with white being the highest point and black being the darkest.

The Sea[u/] Get a map of your choice and make the area outside the island the darkest black you can use (Which if your using paintshop pro or any other paint prog will be Red 0, Green 0 and blue 0, with the hue being 255, the sat being 0 and the light being the same as the red green and blue. Ok thats your sea sorted.

The Land[u/] Go with the darkest shade you can possibly use of black that you can see is different from the sea shade (i use about red 20, green 20 and blue 20...) and fill the inside of the Island. So now you should have the island outlined in great detail.

Now to get the edges on the island right (as they will be like steps if you leave it like that) you need to flattern the edges i do this by choosing a shade which is more then the sea 0 and less then the island 18, I then goto tool options and change the Hardness of my brush to 5, opacity also to 5, step 25, density 100 and brush size about 9 also make sure you tick the build up brush option. Now run ya brush around all the edges of your island a few times and you should get rid of the dodgy steps on ya edges.

Hills and stuff[u/] Just increase you brush size and the shade to create your hills along you island.

You must know about all the saving ect so do thatand check it out in visitor to make small adjustments biggrin_o.gif I would write a little guide with pics, but i cant access my webspace thanks to NTL, so i aint got no way of giving people access to it crazy_o.gif

I select the grayscale option in PaintShop~pro and start with a white background (makes it easier to tell the different 'blacks')and build up with grays that are first row down from the black for my coastline/beach, I add the sea last wink_o.gif . Then build up 'platuoes'(whoops) with gradualy lighter grays. Finish of with a very faint 'spray' of white or 'next lightest grey' to give 'texture' to the levels or it'll look like a wedding cake!...

Paint shop is the easiest option once you realise all there is t it...

Just use kegetys TGA to ASE converter to finish off the files ready for importing...