Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Iraq Thread 2

The sad thing is I was going to jokingly suggest that they confused his camera for a RPG. Seeing that it was true is quite depressing.

Surely the ROE would allow the soldiers to check with their optics (And an Abrams optics are rather good) before hosing the bastard? Stuff like this is very bad PR wise.

You could cool it with water or some other more efficient coolant, then get rid of the coolant in tanks, probably compressing it a lot just to save space.  

Water isnt compressible, dude.

Hydraulic effect smile_o.gif

You cant put water under pressure?

So how is water at the bottom of the ocean so many PSI?

Anyway it's not important. You could still move uncompressed water/steam out. tounge_o.gif

And I have to agree, it was very stupid for the US soldiers to just shoot the camera man because he looked like he was holding an RPG. Don't they know to identify then shoot?

You can put water under pressure, but it doesnt compress. That's how hydraulics work.

What the hell do they teach you in elementary and junior high science down there?!?!

You can put water under pressure, but it doesnt compress.  That's how hydraulics work.

What the hell do they teach you in elementary and junior high science down there?!?!

Let's hope someone comes up with the idea of compressing the soldier/officer responsible for killing the Reuters cameraman.

You can put water under pressure, but it doesnt compress.  That's how hydraulics work.

Let's hope someone comes up with the idea of compressing the soldier/officer responsible for killing the Reuters cameraman.

Ouch, nasty!

Actually, I got an A in college-level physics. tounge_o.gif

Ouch, nasty!

Yes, but appropriate!

I know casualties fairly similar to this will occure every now and then, and maybe it is an acceptable price to pay for us to stay informed about this and that. Fact is, those men and women enable us to judge our governments actions and misbehavior - in an orderly and neutral fashion.

However, something tells me this is happening way to often, and it not only suggest that the pressure on these soldiers are enormous - but also that they are rather indifferent towards what or whom they shoot at.

Even if he thought it was a rpg why did he shoot straight away?

RPG couldnt have dented him , it taks only a second or two to confirm the target via the optics which can look out for narly 3-4 km ahead mad_o.gif

Actually, I got an A in college-level physics. tounge_o.gif

Blame your father Fs - for not giving you a water pistol as a boy! You know - pressurized water and all that smile_o.gif

Even if he thought it was a rpg why did he shoot straight away?

RPG couldnt have dented him , it taks only a second or two to confirm the target via the optics which can look out for narly 3-4 km ahead mad_o.gif

You could cool it with water or some other more efficient coolant, then get rid of the coolant in tanks, probably compressing it a lot just to save space.  Take it out of the facility and bury it somewhere.  If you didn't care about the environment you could just empty the tanks somewhere.  Just off the top of my head.  I don't see why you'd need some giant cooling tower though.

Assuming you could capture 100% of thermal output in a magic coolant and then remove it in perfectly insulated tanker trucks that could somehow escape remote detection, 20 MWs would have you removing a truck full of boiling liquid every 3 minutes.  Good luck.

Well technically FSPilot talked about compressing coolant not specifiacally water. smile_o.gif He wouldn't loose marks in school. tounge_o.gif

hey why not have the whole operation in a giant thermos. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]hey why not have the whole operation in a giant thermos .  biggrin_o.gif  

thermo(s)nuclear  biggrin_o.gif

........then again - nothing tastes as bad as old coffee on thermos

Theoretically, a remote plant producing liquid nitrogen might not have aroused suspicion while generating a lot of heat. The 20MW chem plant could then be cooled with a tanker of liquid nitrogen every 7 minutes, releasing only room temp nitrogen gas. The tanker trucks' IR signals might appear only slightly darker in transit than normal trucks.

thermo(s)nuclear

Aha, so Saddam WAS a danger. tounge_o.gif

"Ok, you take care of the UN, and I, I will attack Iraq!"

Ok, then comes the question, why would Saddam even go through the trouble in the first place. rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]Ok, then comes the question, why would Saddam even go through the trouble in the first place.  rock.gif

......ask FS - he seems to know these things hehe   smile_o.gif

All I know is that we have an "Elvis" here. Lot's of lunatics still believe he exists. Same thing with the supposed wmd's.

Bernadotte

Quote[/b] ]How? tounge_o.gif

A wonderful teacher.

Quote[/b] ]Assuming you could capture 100% of thermal output in a magic coolant and then remove it in perfectly insulated tanker trucks that could somehow escape remote detection, 20 MWs would have you removing a truck full of boiling liquid every 3 minutes. Good luck.

I don't even think cooling towers release 100% of the output. But anyway, the coolant would cool the aparatus down to a safe level, then be stored in a truck. There's no reason you can't move a truck of boiling liquid anywhere, we do it with extremely cold temperatures all the time.

Then, it would be shipped to a secret space pad on a tanker orbiting out in international waters. It would be launched into space and stored on the dark side of the moon, where it would cool, then be returned to earth via a gigantic system of pipes.

Bernadotte
Quote[/b] ]How? tounge_o.gif

A wonderful teacher.

Quote[/b] ]Assuming you could capture 100% of thermal output in a magic coolant and then remove it in perfectly insulated tanker trucks that could somehow escape remote detection, 20 MWs would have you removing a truck full of boiling liquid every 3 minutes.  Good luck.

I don't even think cooling towers release 100% of the output.  But anyway, the coolant would cool the aparatus down to a safe level, then be stored in a truck.  There's no reason you can't move a truck of boiling liquid anywhere, we do it with extremely cold temperatures all the time.

Then, it would be shipped to a secret space pad on a tanker orbiting out in international waters.  It would be launched into space and stored on the dark side of the moon, where it would cool, then be returned to earth via a gigantic system of pipes.

Hehe.... biggrin_o.gif

Oh, but it's all so clear now: Oil pipe lines! Why do you think they keep exploding? Because Saddam loyalist know that there is really no oil - it's all an elaborate system to hide coolant and waste products from their chemical and nuclear weapons plants! And that is also why TBA is so obsessed with the oil. It's not greed - they're looking for WMD! wow_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Oh, but it's all so clear now: Oil pipe lines! Why do you think they keep exploding? Because Saddam loyalist know that there is really no oil - it's all an elaborate system to hide coolant and waste products from their chemical and nuclear weapons plants! And that is also why TBA is so obsessed with the oil. It's not greed - they're looking for WMD!  wow_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

smile_o.gif    .......and that's not all you know!

You know why they can't find Saddam? Well, I guess if you take look at the moon right now - you'd see the man in the moon all of a sudden wears one of those macho iraqi moustaches. Let's send Glenn up there to retreive him before he not only destroys the earth in 45 min. but the whole solar system while he's at it!   wow_o.gif

Jesus! And I'm worriyng about Sweden! ! ! ! ! !

Oil pipe lines! Why do you think they keep exploding?

What I'd like to know is where was Dick Cheney when the pipelines were being blown up?  We all know where his company, Haliburton, i$ when that infrastructure needs repair.

By the way, this is interesting.  According to Forbes, Bechtel has just pulled out of bidding on a very large oilfield service contract.

Quote[/b] ]Many had expected Bechtel to bid for the oil work, and took their bowing out as a sign that KBR had an unfair advantage...

Of course, KBR is a subsidiary of Haliburton.  How do you spell greed?  T... B... A...

I don't get what the deal with haliburton was. Yeah, they're an American company that used to be run by a high level politician. But it was either them or a french company. wow_o.gif