Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Rebus

Follow the history or the justice?

The addons of WW2 era...wow...but there a problem...

...follow the History (flags with swastika, name vs juden,....) or (modified flags, censured name)?

What?

Which the better solution?

The History or not History?!

crazy_o.gif

I think we will see iraqi flags/signs in the future on any tank/plane/whatever in coming addons and other games.

No one will care about it... mad_o.gif

But with german(wwii) addons better go the "non historical way".

MfG Lee rock.gif

I think History.Keep it all real as you can get it.Im sure some folks will probly be alittle pissed about seeing a swastika and other stuff,But you have to wonder why they would want to play a WW2 era mod or addon if they didnt want to see such things.

Yes yes....but it was the reality....and we must make addons equal to the reality.......it is History..... rock.gif

crazy_o.gif

I'm not sure why it would need to be censored, its a part of the world's history, and an important lesson to us all, trying to erase it from our past would be the bigger crime...

......it is History..... crazy_o.gif

Yes, but tell this those ppl who think germany will invade poland again cause playing with addons where you can see a hakenkreuz...

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Isn't it illegal in Germany (and Austria?) to display a Swastika, whether in historical poster or game or whatever? Or is it simply a matter of decency type issue with things like swastikas and blood and such like being removed from games?

How is this for an alternative? I think it represents the iron cross.

http://www.geocities.com/zubrowka1999/p/sig331.jpg

It was used throughout the war on armor, planes and whatnot.

I dont think its illegal, and it is certainly not as offensive as a swastika to some, if not most people. As for realism with addons, and i lower my voice now since i dont make them and i have much respect for ALL who do; realism is great when it comes to texture quality, performance, ballistics, size & dimensions etc. But a swastika, (eyecandy) which is quite controversial at the least, is something that should suffer and not be used, so people arent in doubt about using that supercool tank with that still quite nasty symbol, or just cant use it since it its illegal to do so in a country with one of the largest ofp fanbases.

2 cents.

TopCover

I'd like it realistic as much as possible.But if you think there is problems ,please tell me now as I already have one on my German plane !

http://www.freewebs.com/bratz_addons/hs123.htm

Doesn't make sense tho,as any picture you see thats from that era of course has original markings.

Personally, I don't really have a problem with it being on tanks or something, as long as it was there IRL back then.  Now, putting a huge one on a splash screen for a mod, would be a lot different.

PS @TopCover

I really don't think that the Yahoo geocities logo would be a good replacement for a swastika on a german, tank. biggrin_o.gif (your bandwidth has been used up)

Well let me ask this.What would you think if someone made only Nazi addons?What you call them a Nazi wannabe.Or be very cruel to him.

What i was trying to show is the same symblo as on bratty's plane. Because that aint a swastika. As far as i know this is derived from teutonic knight symbolism. Present day bundeswehr markings arent that entirely different. It is tradional german military symbol with no direct connection to the nazi ideology.

TopCover

THe swastika is only visible in the 3rd pic.

As for someone only making nazi addons, I would have no problem, unless they in any way supported the actions of the nazis.

Isn't it illegal in Germany (and Austria?) to display a Swastika, whether in historical poster or game or whatever? Or is it simply a matter of decency type issue with things like swastikas and blood and such like being removed from games?

For historical/educational purposes it is legal to display the "swastika". Any other use, means "glorifying" the Third Reich, and thus it is prohibited in Germany.

In Germany you are a criminal if you download an addon with the Hakenkreuz on it rock.gif

In Germany you are only allowed to display a hakenkreuz for historical purposes or for art (this means historical books and movies like Schindlers List)

So we Germans were not allowed to download such an addon and use it in a game...

(RTCW and MOH:AA also had to be changed)

allright this is how I see it, and I got lots of info from one of my friends grandfathers (was in the german army 38-47)... SS = nazi. regular infantry, armour, air = mostly non nazi

units such as the 1st ss (adolf hitler division) were total fanatics for hitler and the nazi party...as well with the hitler youth.

but... all had the same style battle standard (flag for you yanks)

and what about the reinacters(?spelling?) who portray german infantry in WW2, I bet they arnt nazi's they just like history.

...wait a sec...are you talking about the swastika or the open cross thing?

to me both should be fully represented(?spelling?) for historical reasons...and If people are offended by a symbol in a video game the really need help

sorry for the bad typing I've been up for the last 29 hours.

So we Germans were not allowed to download such an addon and use it in a game...

If so, what about the Inv´44 Demo ?? Swastikas and SS´s everywhere, almost....and noone in German OFP Community  gave a f**k about it (at least i didn´t hear any complaints).  As long as German Newspages don´t spread out pics where swastikas can obviously be seen, there will be no legal follows or law problems.

I my opinion Addons should be so close to rl as they could be....just keep in mind what game we are talking of  wink_o.gif

...and If people are offended by a symbol in a video game the really need help

me agrees 100%

Ok.. I also have a question.. How about Finnish Swastika's ?They didnt have anything to do with nazism so are they ok?

Like in this picture

Or I could do like in IL-2 Sturmovik.. using the modern Finnish Airforce sign..

IL-2's Hawk 75 in Finnish Colors

I prefer the first option for realism's sake.. smile_o.gif

I havn't downloaded Invasion 44 neither the demo so I didn't know. I'm not really in the german community so I can't tell if there was complaint or not...

I only told what I knew, maybe Germans can download it when they only use it privately, but normally there shouldn't have been any mirrors from a german site....

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Hakenkreuz?

this is  a hackenkreuz

hakenkreuz.jpg

which means swastika

Quote[/b] ]The symbol is called the "crux gammata," also known as the swastika. The name's derived from the Sanskrit svastika (meaning "welfare"). It is a symbol of prosperity & good fortune, widely used through out the ancient world (appearing often in Mesopotamian coinage), including North and South America and has been a symbol of Buddhism since ancient times. There were two versions of the svastika: The one that moved clockwise (SWASTIKA) and the other that moved counter-clockwise (SAUVASTIKA).

The one that moved counter-clockwise was the one Japanese Buddhists use and generally stands for night and magical practices.

The one that moves clockwise is generally considered a solar symbol and it was this that was used by Nazis

swastika.jpg

I only told what I knew, maybe Germans can download it when they only use it privately, but normally there shouldn't have been any mirrors from a german site....

I´m not sure how many German Sitres had the Demo hosted but one definately had a mirror.

And of course i download it only for private use...it is similar to the topic in the "secret weapons of kriegsmarine" under costruction thread....where it is mentioned if the sub should be called neger wich is in fact a bit inappropriate....but no one will run through the streets yelling "i´ve downloaded the neger u-boot" at everyone who passes by.

sorry for bad english biggrin_o.gif

Personally, I think that it doesn't really matter whether or not there is a swastika on an addon in terms of gameplay. I'll still be able to tell that I'm playing a WWII era mission without them. My only concern is that if the addition of such graphics could cause any of our European players problems; then why include them at all. Historical accuracy in a video game just isn't worth excluding anyone.

Would it not be possible for the swastika and all other logos, decals etc to be removed using the setobject texture? That way if the polizei came a 'knockin you can change the hackenkreuz to the McDonalds logo or other non-specific, non-denominational, non-pejorative logo.

rock.gif