Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

Vbs newsrelease

Off course it is,Why would it not be.Is VBS1 supose to look any different?I just like the looks of that Tactica v2.0 beta program.

Yep, me too. smile_o.gif I wonder if somehting like this is coming to OFP2 wink_o.gif

That does look real cool for mission making. Someone write him and beg him for an OFP version.

My question is why did they screenshot some of the mission editor, then stick the top of the Tactica menu on top ?? You can even see part of the mouse cursor that was cut off.. confusing..

Maybe it's just showing the simularities between the two..

Looks to me like, they show how they can import real terrain into OFP (err VBS) and work not only from a theoretical large scale battle but also go down deep into OFP (3D) and resolve these battles. Like a major military chess game, you can go all the way up to small country size battles in small chunks. If you have the will power to run through and generate such a campaign etc.

It's possible...

rock.gif

Hm, creating a mission outside OFP itself is no problem. The mission is nothing more than a bunch of textfiles and some soundfiles. I'm convinced that CoC could create something like this, provided some generous soul would donate us enough spare time for our hobby.

(Hey bn880, such an external editor would be a nice solution to the automatic placement of markers with units, and probably add lots of other possibilities....)

On a sidenote, did anyone ever check out the games that are used alongside VBS1?

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/techdiv/ITK/ITKHome/ITKHome.htm

- TACOPS4, an off-the-shelf commercial strategic simulation, based on the US Army's "TACOPS CAV". A bit limited in possibilities of customisation, but still quite nice.

- Close Combat Marines, modified version of Microsoft's Close Combat series. (Does anyone know of a Close Combat mod that provides similar functionality?)

You can even download a study guide. This guide might also be interesting for the more serious OFP and/or CoC players:

http://www.2ndbn5thmar.com/ccm/ccmtoc.htm

Hi all

Err? Mathhijs an external editor for logistics is allready something I am working on.

Kind regards Walker

I've been playing TacOps for nearly ten years now, from even before I was in the Army. The game itself is very good at replicating modern warfare at the battalion/brigade level, but the engine is showing itself to be quite outdated (there are, for example, still only two ground elevation levels). The best thing about it, though, is that it can have up to, I think, 20 different people playing at one time. Ten can be Bluefor, five can be red, three can be observers and the other two can be umpires. Each player is given a certain number of units, and they fight blind with those units - i.e. you can't see what the company next to you is doing unless you see his units or he tells you what's happening.

It's really a great feature, and I hope that CoC does something similar with the next revision of their command engine and multiplayer capability. wink_o.gif

Sorry, we're too busy saving the world. wink_o.gif We'd do all this stuff you guys suggest, but, everything has to fit in "spare time". sad_o.gif

Hi all

Err? Mathhijs an external editor for logistics is allready something I am working on.

Kind regards Walker

I meant an external editor for every apect of mission editing, from "player" unit to outro scene. It would make the OFP editor almost totally redundant and give the best opportunity for extra functionality. (And would cost an enormous amount of time... which I personally don't have.)

Ever heard of the demo mission editor "Cedit" or something like that?

http://www.alkitech.com/flashpoint.html

Is this what you mean? Didn't know this thingy existed. Looks impressive!

Opens up some possibilities for Linux servers running Apache with PHP together with the OFP dedicated server.