How good are you at foreign languages?

Somali:

food: cunto

car: baabuur

donkey: no idea biggrin_o.gif

Food: Cunno, Raashin

Car: Baabuur yar, Fatuurad

Donkey: Dameer

LoL, "Qofka yar oo iska farzaanka ah qalbi furan" is GAY in Somali.

English, 3 letters; Somali, a freaken paragraph. biggrin_o.gif

-=Dhimo Nolol=-

-=Die Alive=-

This is all well and good, but aren't you better off knowing the more important words in different languages, such as:

*booze

*money

*sexual intercourse?

biggrin_o.gif

booze

German - Schnaps

French - alcool

Russian - samagonka (I think)

money

German - Geld

French - argent

Russian - dengi (sp?)

Spanish - dinero

sexual intercourse

German - Geschlechtsverkehr (one of many ways to say this biggrin_o.gif )

French - baiser

Creole - faire de zig zag (I'm not kidding tounge_o.gif )

At an english test, he was asked to translate "nariz" to english, and he wrote: "no se"  biggrin_o.gif

LOL. Any of you guys heard of the Chevy that miserably failed to sell in Mexico? The "Nova" biggrin_o.gif.

Heh, the combination of language translation and soulless advertising executives makes for some extremely entertaining international ad campaigns.

At an english test, he was asked to translate "nariz" to english, and he wrote: "no se"  biggrin_o.gif

LOL. Any of you guys heard of the Chevy that miserably failed to sell in Mexico? The "Nova" biggrin_o.gif.

This is no yoke...you can find that story in every goddamn Marketing book. Awesome, isnt it??? tounge_o.gif

I once said this in the EU federation topic, but it fits here too:

A dutch member of the european parlement proudly spoke all his statements in English, while he had the right to speak dutch. He call the expensive shower rooms in the congres building 'golden showers' tounge_o.gif

@ June 18 2003,13:08)]

Heh, the combination of language translation and soulless advertising executives makes for some extremely entertaining international ad campaigns.

For sure:

C0cksoup.jpg

"Creamy!"

biggrin_o.gif

I remember just last week at work, I picked up a can of sardines, the first label was in French - "Petits Poissons". The English translation under it - "Fish She Is Very Small" biggrin_o.gif. So I'm turning this thing over chuckling, wanting to see exactly where in Quebec it was made, and I see "Product of Scotland" wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

This is no yoke...you can find that story in every goddamn Marketing book. Awesome, isnt it??? tounge_o.gif

LOL...We had a similar thing here when they started selling the OPEL ASCONA a few years ago...

Cona = Pussy in portuguese

Predictably that model didnt really make it on our market  biggrin_o.gif

EDIT:

And BTW:

In Portuguese:

Food=Comida

Car=Carro

Donkey=Burro

STFU=Cala-te

FU=Vai-te Foder

Wanna F***?=Queres Foder? biggrin_o.gif (probably it wont work though...)

I love u=Amo-te crazy_o.gif (a big lie but it will probably work) biggrin_o.gif

English=Food Car Donkey

Spanish=Alimento COCHE Burro

Italian=Asino Dell'Automobile Dell'Alimento

French=NahrungsmittelcAuto-Esel

Portugese=Asno Do Carro Do Alimento

No but I heard of the Ford Caliente which was sold in the US and Mexico. Its name was changed when they found out caliente is mexican slang for "streetwalker" tounge_o.gif

Let's add some more german words:

Food

Nahrung, Nahrungsmittel, Lebensmittel, Essen, Mampfe, Speise, Futter, Fressen, Schappi...

Car

Auto, Automobil, Wagen, Flitzer, Karre, Kutsche, (Sprit-)Schleuder, Schüssel, fahrbarer Untersatz, (Schrott-)Schese...

Donkey

Esel, p2p-Programm, Grautier, Dummkopf, Idiot, Blödmann...

biggrin_o.gif

LOL

Asno is like the medieval word for Burro(donkey)

Where u get that??

Same with Coche

*pulls up to a mexican girl* "hey 'caliente', want to go for a ride in my carriage?" biggrin_o.gif

LOL

Asno is like the medieval word for Burro(donkey)

Where u get that??

Same with Coche

*pulls up to a mexican girl* "hey 'caliente', want to go for a ride in my carriage?"  biggrin_o.gif

Coche is car, camion is truck, I got everything cept the spanish in babelfish!

Coche is car, camion is truck, I got everything cept the spanish in babelfish!

Coche is a very antiquated way of saying car - it literally means "Carriage". Kind of like saying "Thou" in English - it isn't wrong, it's just outdated. I spoke Spanish almost exclusively for the first 10 years of my life. I only ever heard the word "Coche" in old movies. Go to a Spanish speaking country and talk about your Coche. You'll get some amused looks.

BTW you can also get in trouble using slang in Sanish, a lot of countries share the same slang terms but with wildly different meanings. I found these differences myself, always with a funny story biggrin_o.gif:

Guagua:  

In Cuba - Bus.

In Chile - Small child.

"Se Peló":

In Cuba - "He/she got a haircut"

In El Salvador - "He/She went crazy"

Fregar:

In Cuba - To do the dishes

In El Salvador - To be obnoxious.

Quote[/b] ]Food

Nahrung, Nahrungsmittel, Lebensmittel, Essen, Mampfe, Speise, Futter, Fressen, Schappi...

Car

Auto, Automobil, Wagen, Flitzer, Karre, Kutsche, (Sprit-)Schleuder, Schüssel, fahrbarer Untersatz, (Schrott-)Schese...

Donkey

laughed my ass off Bastler, but unfortunally our english speaking friends ( YES SOME OF YOU ARE NICE biggrin_o.gif , ahem...)

will not be able to understand that humour. wink_o.gif

Pollo

Coche

Helado

Granate

Gehfaren

Landung

Ik

Goed

ben

So, Spanish, German and Dutch.

I dont know much of either of them but i am fully understandable in Spanish and German, Dutch is just a recent hobby of mine tounge_o.gif

Pollo is chicken, helado is icecream.

No Va = No go/ Does not go.  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Other poor translation: All your base are belong to us? biggrin_o.gif

Donkey

biggrin_o.gif

ROFL. yeah my donkey is running pretty fast sometimes... tounge_o.gif

some posts here remind me of the Mitsubishi Pajero. I've herd thet "Pajero" means wanker in Spain. Now guess how many "Pajeros" were sold there? tounge_o.gif

IMO the most usefule phrase in any language is the one to tell you don't speak the language. biggrin_o.gif

english: I don'y speak english

german: ich spreche kein deutsh

french: je ne parle pas francais

dutch: ik spreek geen nederlands

flemish: ek klappn hin vloms

limburgs: ich kalle keen limbuuuurjs

spanish: no hablo espanol

italian: io no parlo italiano

hebrew: ani lo medabeer ivriet

scandinavian: jeg taler ikke dansk/svensk/norsk

(iv'e known it in indonesian too, but it forgot)

..............Hardcore L337____L337 Light

Food      |[ 0 0 |)                     F 0 0 D

CAR        ( @ |)\                     C @ R

Donkey    |) 0 |\| |< 3 V          D 0 N K 3 Y

|

-=Die Alive=-

Hmm... seems all wrong too me...

Food = |=00|)

Car = (42

Donkey = |)0|\||<`/

I remember some car manufactorer having a jeep called "Pajero" which alledgedly meant wanker in spanish smile_o.gif and a the LIDL (grocery store chain) had biscuits called "PUTA" which I believe is whore in spanish smile_o.gif

Some years ago an audio cassete brand called "PD Magnetics" was sponsoring a team in the Tour de France.

PD in french stands for pedophile... wow_o.gif

I remember some car manufactorer having a jeep called "Pajero" which alledgedly meant wanker in spanish smile_o.gif and a the LIDL (grocery store chain) had biscuits called "PUTA" which I believe is whore in spanish smile_o.gif
$33ker @ June 19 2003,12:26)] some posts here remind me of the Mitsubishi Pajero. I've herd thet "Pajero" means wanker in Spain. Now guess how many "Pajeros" were sold there? tounge_o.gif

wink_o.gif