Sign in to follow this  
Koolkid101

New verison of afghanistan island v3

CAT_SHIT_ONE_MM released the third version of his excellent Afghanistan island. A lot of things changed in it, new textures, models, the big town has been removed to be playable for almost all computers, no river anymore, it's very different from the previous version! Download it by clicking below! smile_o.gif

Ps: Screenshots have been made with a "normal" terrain level and a 1500m viewdistance.

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/

All I can say is wow it looks even more amazing.

I get 'cannot memory-map file 'RES\addons\o.pbo'.

I've actually getting this for alot of addons.. and I just reinstalled the game..

I get 'cannot memory-map file 'RES\addons\o.pbo'.

I've actually getting this for alot of addons.. and I just reinstalled the game..

put your adons in mod folders or into your ofp addon folder not res

i have astrong comp

so i geuss ill stick with the old 1

Burris, there is nothing wrong with your game. All that means is that you have too many addons. Take out all the addons you normally don't use and stick them in another folder and everything should then work fine.

Also it helps alot making seperate MOD folders for different categories of addons. That way you can load up just that MOD and its addons (in addition to the original BIS addons).

As for this map... I'm still downloading it but I'm VERY pissed that he took out the big city. I'll forgive him if this new version really kicks ass, but if it doesn't then I might just stick with the old version especially since I already made missions using the large city in the South, so these types of changes totally screws up my urban combat missions. One of that mod team members said before that they wouldn't change around the cities like that, but there they go and do it again which really pisses me off. I'm not sure if I'll release my current Afghan missions until they release a final version of this map.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

*sigh* so I can only use some addons at a certain time?...

For instance -mod=RussianFederation;Islands;WWII;Europe are the list of folders I have made, but only Russian Federation is shown.

Personally i use the mod folders plus an addon manager. I have three shortcuts. One for modern day stuff, basically just general missions. The other two are for WW2 and Vietnam. I do this since when i play any of those i won't be using the addons from the other ones. Boosts performance a great deal.

I also suggest adding the -nosplash to your shortcut as well. I have found that i would get more of the memory map messages when i didn't have that in my shortcut. Plus the game loads much faster.

I agree with Bronski.  More info can be found on making mod folders at Avon Lady's OFP FAQ site.  

Her site is at:  

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

But back to this addon.... I just tested it out and was severely disappointed.  Ok they took that one big city in the South but then replaced it with another big city in another location surrounded by a wall.  It's not quite as big as the old one but still fairly hefty.  In addition, once again the terrain and locations of other cities seem to have been entirely shifted.  

Also STILL no airport. sad_o.gif   Also disappointing is that in the old version in the NE quadrant (in the flat areas) there was the beginnings of something called Camp X-Ray.   Now that is gone and there is no trace of any such base anywhere on the map.  So aside from some newly laid out towns and a few new buildings (and maybe a some new textures) I think it is better to stay with the old version with the large Southern city that I was growing quite attached to actually.  

I hope that CAT returns to that old map, finishes up Camp X-Ray, and also adds an airbase.   If he did that then I would be more then satisified with this map because other then those things, these Afghanistan maps are beautiful with great buildings, caves, and ground textures. In this version I also like the walls, and the building with the picture of cat in it.

biggrin_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

FFS somone mirror it...ofp.info's downloads suck even more than usual lately, I've tried about 30 times... crazy_o.gif

FFS somone mirror it...ofp.info's downloads suck even more than usual lately, I've tried about 30 times... crazy_o.gif

guess many ppl are going for it. smile_o.gif

I agree with Bronski.  More info can be found on making mod folders at Avon Lady's OFP FAQ site.  

Her site is at:  

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

But back to this addon.... I just tested it out and was severely disappointed.  Ok they took that one big city in the South but then replaced it with another big city in another location surrounded by a wall.  It's not quite as big as the old one but still fairly hefty.  In addition, once again the terrain and locations of other cities seem to have been entirely shifted.  

Also STILL no airport.  sad_o.gif   Also disappointing is that in the old version in the NE quadrant (in the flat areas) there was the beginnings of something called Camp X-Ray.   Now that is gone and there is no trace of any such base anywhere on the map.  So aside from some newly laid out towns and a few new buildings (and maybe a some new textures) I think it is better to stay with the old version with the large Southern city that I was growing quite attached to actually.  

I hope that CAT returns to that old map, finishes up Camp X-Ray, and also adds an airbase.   If he did that then I would be more then satisified with this map because other then those things, these Afghanistan maps are beautiful with great buildings, caves, and ground textures.   In this version I also like the walls, and the building with the picture of cat in it.  

biggrin_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

yeah wat u said

is wat i feel

Well of course this island is different. He changed the name. It's called Central Afganistan not southern like the last one.

What makes this one better are

1) Roads

2) new kinds of destroyed buildings

3)Big arse mountains!!!!!! I problably crashed a plane into one of these 4 times out of 7 wow_o.gif

Well of course this island is different. He changed the name. It's called Central Afganistan not southern like the last one.

What makes this one better are

1) Roads

2) new kinds of destroyed buildings

3)Big arse mountains!!!!!! I problably crashed a plane into one of these 4 times out of 7 wow_o.gif

You don't understand.  There are some of us who have been working very hard making some kick ass Afghanistan missions.  This map *REPLACES* the old one and because it totally changes the positions of cities and the terrain, it makes ALL our hardwork USELESS because most people will have updated to the new version of this map.  If this map was just a new map showing another section of Afghanistan then it would not be a big deal, but since it replaces the older Afghanistan map it is a very big deal.  Other map makers almost never do this kind of switching around of cities and terrain in different map versions because of how badly it pisses off mission makers. Just imagine how pissed off missions makers must be who have already released their Afghan missions (based on the older version to all the OFP sites).

All my movie intros for example that I was working which use map coordinates to position the camera are now useless on this new map.  It took me MANY MANY hours of work scripting those movies so I am VERY VERY VERY pissed off because I did that for nothing.  The mission itself can fortunately be salvaged by moving units and waypoints around and redoing other parts.  But I'm not going to bother doing any of that or redoing the movie intros until a final version of this Afghanistan map is released.  Until then I think I'm going to go finish up the French and Japanese missions I was working on.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

cat ur a very good map maker

i just prefer ur old afghan island

since u change the map drastically why dont u just release this updated map to just another map since it keeps on changing from southern to central

why dont u just have two maps

so the old map doesnt have to be updated so u get two maps instead of one since also its a 44mg map

its like dl ur old maps was for nothing

and the island is totally different so y not naming the pbo differently so we can have the old 1 and the new one

therefore technically u made two maps because they dont look like each other and have different names

Any word on how close this is to the final?

Its a really great map, but as I found a couple of versions ago, theres little point making missions for this map until the map maker decides what he's doing with it.

Shame about Naguals missions, they were fantastic ...

yeah i loved that southern city, i made some awesome missions in there involving technicals and such. But i realize that there were lag problems with it for some ppl. Like Miles said, i would also like to see that Camp built up, in the previous version there were a few towers, a building and a wall or 2. Maybe you could make the airport there as it was a nice and flat area

Very nice island, great textures and new buildings...my only complaint is that the citites aren't named, so to find cities/towns, you've got to zoom in your map in the editor and manually scan around for groups of buildings...

I have to agree with Miles. The major upheavals this island has gone through after every rendition has taken the wind out of the sales of any serious mission makers and scared many away, I'm sure.

I will be posting warnings on missions I've reviewed in The FAQ's MOM section that the missions will only work with the prior version.

sad_o.gif

Thanks for your concerns, If I speak to Cat tonight i'll bring it up, The team did decide we were going to make 2-3 versions, of different parts of Afghanistan and I'll try and make sure there is not a further override of peoples work for the next release, No confirmation of a final release date. Please remember this is a BETA not a final.

Thanks Avon for putting a link in the forums for us

smile_o.gif

Thanks for your concerns, If I speak to Cat tonight i'll bring it up, The team did decide we were going to make 2-3 versions, of different parts of Afghanistan and I'll try and make sure there is not a further override of peoples work for the next release,

What about restoring V2? New maps are more than welcome but this map has made quite a few good missions up till now.

Quote[/b] ]No confirmation of a final release date. Please remember this is a BETA not a final.

It's one thing to add/remove a building here and there or thin out a town or use new textures. But to wipe everything out is like declaring the map to be early alpha.

Lots of people, myself included have spent a lot of time promoting the map and testing it. But you're going to lose those benefits from volunteer testers and mission makers. Would be a pity.

Ok, I'll try to find the older versions of the map and have them released as BETAs for different parts of the map again, So version 1,2 and 3 will all be different, allowing for 3 different maps. The above was our original plan. I'll try to have made the PBO's by the end of the week, remember all of them will be BETAs. Sorry about this, but Cat has been working really hard recently so he can try and finish some maps before he heads off to college, so everything has been a little rushed.

Very nice map! I wish the creator would not call it "Central- or Southern Afghanistan", but give it a fantasy name. Like that it would be more comfortable to use the addon for WW2 Afrika or other desert-like scenarios as well.

PSC