Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Visible and invisible light spectrums

What OFP needs most of all for use of Night Vision is to have both visible and invisible light spectrums...

...anybody who has seen a Cobra with an IR Floodlight at night, both through NVG's and with the unaided eyes knows what I'm talking about. It's like night and day, baby!

Well yes, but it depends on what kind of night vision equipment is being implemented. This would allow UV or IR versions rather than light amplification (current OFP NVG's)

Yeah i also wonder why the hell people are asking for things like plasma rifles and lasers when the game is set in 70´s.

They were first generation passive night vision in the late '60s and early '70s. The big, clunky starlight scopes that were almost as big as the weapons they were mounted on.

IR was in pretty widespread use, though. I think a lot of the M-48 tanks in 'Nam had IR spotlights mounted above the barrels. I know the Soviets used a lot of IR up until the end of the Cold War.

Might be a cool thing to model.

I personally owned an AN-PVS-2A that I bought for my Colt AR-15A2 Delta HBAR (privately owned) when I was in the Army.

It would work well enough. smile_o.gif It was Vietnam-era... one of the big ones. I had to have the M16 mount altered for the different carrying handle of the M16A2 (as opposed to the A1). Fortunately, one of the guys in the sheet metal shop in the hangar hooked me up right quick.

It WAS heavy. Unfortunately, as was the case for support soldiers like me, I didn't get enough opportunities to train with it so as to become useful with it.

You can get one of those for about $600, now, I think.

It cost me $1700 in the mid-80's.

I'd probably soil myself with utter surprise and excitement if BIS included a bleeding-edge thermograph simulation. Ye gods. My prayers would be answered. I mean the most ass-kicking thermograph simulation ever... they had one in splinter cell but that was the only good thing about the game... splinter cell had a good thermograph simulation... my god... then I could pretend I was a predator or something in OFP2 .... I know... that's stupid but goddammit! I want a decent game with a good thermograph simulation.

I know that doesn't really count as invisible spectrum light since it's just essentially applying a color code to various magnitudes of heat, but eeee! Thermograph!

Cheers All, biggrin_o.gif

I think it has been mentioned before, but yeah an ability to replicate a Tank Thermal Sight (TTS) would be outstanding !!! While it didn't equip the '48s and early model '60s during the Vietnam War (that would have had an effect!!) the M-60A3 and late model M-48A5 did get it I believe. Anyways, I figured they didn't do this for balancing play between East and West armor.

Heh heh, an AN/PVS-2? That goes back aways! Had one in storage in our unit arms room that I dicked around with a little. Noone could ever find the batteries for it though (BA-3s? or 6s?). tounge_o.gif

But the active IR is pretty important for the era though since we progressed so far beyound it since. Active IR will also be of interest to the WWII folks out there (the Vampire sight system, etc).

NSDQ!!

Are night-vision goggles really as grainy to look through in real life as they are in OFP? They give me a headache after a while with all their fuzzing and buzzing.

[Gareth Gates must die]

depends...some that ive seen have been clear, but had what could be described as honey-comb cell sort of things...though not knowing that much about them i couldnt tell you why or what type it was... i would imagine the cost would be a factor also...

I expect someone like Miles or ussoldier could give a better answer

Our ones are pretty good, not very grainy at all, just like all light amplification NVDs they need light to work, usually they can be slightly useless in low visibility conditions...something American pilots very rarely have to deal with.

If they decide to have thermal they could do it the same way they do in AvP, they have a totaly different set of textures for the player models with the bright reds and yellows, they also add an ora around the men. Scenary textures are darkened and given a very strong blue tint.

I know the Challanger tank has thermal imaging, it isn't 70's era gear but its just a thourght!

well i think we need to remember, it may well be based in the 70's but we shouldnt limit ourselfs to old tech if we dont have to...you can have the ability there but just not have it used on the cold-war era units so as to leave it open for MODs to make use of it...as id put money on there being atleast one MOD based on modern equipment

The problem with doing what other games do (even though AvP2's was decent) is it's not a simulation in the purest sense. Having multiple textures would be bad in a few ways since it'd cause a hefty weight on the memory with all that extra stuff. I'm talking about applying realtime heat values and distortion and intensity gradients using only a core set of graphics. It's probably a pipe dream because even then it'd gobble up massive amounts of processor cylces.

In reference to the guys talking about tank thermal imaging... isn't that more or less like a FLIR? That would be cool too but I was thinking more or less a thermograph like the one used for the heat vision in the movie predator. =P

It's totally extraneous I guess. but a good FLIR simulator would be cool too.