Sign in to follow this  
frag

Serious suggestion after seeing vietcong

dont u dare make 20 hours of walking in complete blindness in the tunnels of Vietnam...............thats what made me press the Uninstall button on VC

Im sorry for this small offtopic but you could have just pushed the "F" key for flashlight, used light sticks to mark intersections or mark walls with your knife biggrin_o.gif .

I have a feeling tunnels will not be part of OPF2, i just dont see how that could e done on this type of game engine.

But please don't praise Vietcong's jungle atmosphere....it simply is nonexistent. Walking throught those limited jungle canyons/texture walls made me quit after 1 and a half; missions finished - I just couldn't shrink my head into that. SEB Nam pack has more nam feeling than Vietcong ever had. Firefights seemed good for a while, but everything is so in the environment is so limited that all those neat AI tricks might be just scripted too.

But like all of us I want to see better AI in OFP 2 when it comes to it's sense of self preservation and sneakyness with the same vast environments OFP 1 had. Then that would be something.

@ June 14 2003,13:49)]Personally i hope that bis don´t take anything from that shitty vietcong game, it was very lame game. I played it maybe the half of the campaign and some mp and neither one was good. I really didn´t get the jungle feeling when there were huge unpassable texturewalls everywhere.

I have to agree. Vietcong was the worst thing I have seen in a long time. But then I have another reason for not wanting OP2 to take after Vietcong. Bugs.

In Vietcong I encountered a large number of problems on two seperate systems (and no, it wasn't an illegal copy before anyone asks) The first of these was a "blinking" gun, which meant that you could hit nothing except in a fluke, even at point blank range.

Another was enemy and friendly people falling through the ground so they couldn't be hit, but they could still shoot you.

And the last, was a bug that meant you could only run backwards.

Not very good imo.

dont u dare make 20 hours of walking in complete blindness in the tunnels of Vietnam...............thats what made me press the Uninstall button on VC

Lol... I almost did as well until i read to hit the "L" key for the flashlight smile_o.gif After those stupid tunnels it was smooth sailing.

I really have to agree that I loved some aspects of that game.

the amount of cover

the use of cover and being able to lean around and over cover

the ai using cover... don't care how scripted it was, or how much you guys thought it was a shitty game, if you don't do mp, or think about how "scripted" or shitty the game is, it WAS immersive. WAAAAAY more than the SEB pack in my opinion, just for the simple fact that the ai did try to use cover most of the time, and I could suppress them to where they would hide... fluke of the game on my end, but I never for once worried about the AI being bots... they acted more intelligently than most RL people the few times I did play OFP online.

I wouldn't say copy this game, but it does have a lot of elements that would really add to the ofp2 design.

( I'v only played the SP demo)

i liked the sounds ur mates make

EAT LEAD COMMIES!

followed by 30 seconds of machine gun fire

3 by him

the rest by me...

oooops

i did like the aiming and that, just trying to take out sumbody 15 m away was difficult

ne way i liked the cut scene, sept the jungle detail was shite

i cud just make out m gun fire coming from a tree

but trees don't hav guns...

ne who

if BIS fit all the things we're asking for

we're gonna get game of the CENTURY.. nm year

wot BIS need is to look at all he uva games, listen to it;s public and then they'v got a good game..

it's not much, is it?

Quote[/b] ]In my experience, you can rarely even see a muzzle flash unless it's night. Most flashes, especially daytime ones, are just quick little burps of translucent orange that are gone before you realize it

Yes. Your eyes don't percieve them because they are too fast, but if they are captured on film they are exaggerated as the film is over exposed.

The ones in OFP now are about right if they lasted about 1/100th of the time they do (impossible though)

This is only a month old and plenty of life left in it yet, well I hope so as I have recently bought the game. Liked it alot for about 4 hours or so. Then it dawned on me how badly ruined those brilliant initial bits are by crap, piss poor mission design and an absolutely ridiculously flawed AI. Fighting against these AI on anything above easy/normal difficulty is like being right back in the bad old days of single player on Rogue Spear. I have lost count (literally) of the amount of times I have been shot (first time) by a supposedly poor to averagely trained casual soldier from a great distance away the second he pops out of cover with a grease gun (not exactly a dragunov is it?rock.gif?). Don't get suckered into buying this game, it is really bad. I dont know maybe the guy who oversaw the inital parts of the game left just before they decided to do the tunnel bits (yeah no shit they are boring like you wouldn't believe mad_o.gif ) Sorry but I am now uninstalling it, I regret buying it sad_o.gif

^^

Unlike OPF there is solid cover available, use it tounge_o.gif , the game isnt really that hard, OPF can be harder and alot more frustrating most of the time, and yes the a.i. is unpredictable and a little tough but i find their tactics alot more believable than most other combat games out there. There are many gameplay elements and cool features in that game that i would like to see in OPF2, the devs even went to nam to capture footage, screenies, sounds, etc. The weapons are very well done and i think they are acurate to the real thing, i think the games lacks larger maps and some realism but has really great gameplay, graphics and sound smile_o.gif .

I completely agree with Ebud, on everything he said. The OFP AI aren't that intelligent, admit it. They don't do much more than follow waypoints, go prone (or crouch 5% of the time) when they see an enemy, and fire until they die or the target dies. The Vietcong OFP hide from you behind a tree, pop out for a few shots, hide again, maybe crouch and move to a new location, and again pop out and shoot at you. I REALLY didn't like how OFP's AI always went prone. Even if Vietcong had those textured walls, the jungle feeling was there. Most of the time actually I didn't mind the walls, since the levels weren't THAT small, and there were many trees that actually made the levels seem larger. IMO the level where your helicopter crashes in the jungle is absolutely amazing, the atmosphere is captured exquisitely, with flies and mosquitoes flying around the bushes, the distant commands of the Vietnamese, etc. The developers travelled to Vietnam to get the atmosphere right, and I think that helped a ton.

Some more things i liked:

You dont run into the jungle, in OPF you run all the time, it was cool to walk carefully into the jungle paying atention to the point man, earing the sound, very realistic.

To fight in the jungle, ever tried to fight a.i. in the forests of Everon? Almost impossible sad_o.gif .

Hand grenades, you pull the pin and throw them in the air or you can roll them on the ground, very nice touch.

I still like OPF more than any other game, i just had a better time playing VC than i had with resistance smile_o.gif .

Without doubt the fire fights are more realistic. The jungle feeling of sneaking around in cover is there. In OFP it doesnt really work at such close quarters. Loads of good things yeah, but I feel it just isn't finished. Often in fact it is way too hard. You must admit if this game had a bit more realism rather than arcadeness in it it would be great. But at times in vietcong there were flaws in the AI that are bad. And I also felt at times that I was having deja vu from standing infront of slot video game machines from way back for all the realism and chance I had of getting through some of the levels. The boat one for example crazy_o.gif

the muzzle flash is dependent on the type of charge in the cartirdge, movies use "high burn" ammo it makes a massive flash, also it really explodes, with the associated weapon stresses and bullet velocities.

couldn't agree more with the fluid animation in vietcong, jumping over logs, is class in a glass.

can't say i was especially in love with it's ballistics, but i played worse.

again i don't expect to see maps with that level of terrain complexity. in ofp2, i'll much prefer simple old tree sprites and 2d bushes, subtley blended with Ginormous maps you could fly a mach2 jet fighter over, forests you could spend a week in, big old sea's you just want to water ski along for an hour or two.