Sign in to follow this  
Czarny

Ofp deleting everything on harddisk!

I have very strange problem. Today when I run OFP Resistance 1.91 in MP mode I`ve lost whole my data on C:\ partition second time!!! Earlier I`ve lost c:\ when I run MP mode in wersion Resistance 1.75.

I have polish version OFP and run it under Win98.

I have not installed any internet protocols (during I run MP mode I was just curious how game is work).

My hardware: Duron 1 GHz, GeeForce MX 2, 512 RAM, mainboard ECS KVS5A with integrated soundcard.

Sorry for my english.

Let me get this straight... Playing OFP destroyed your whole C-partition with Windows and all in it?

First I'd suggest running a virus scanner. Then I'd do a surface scan on your hard disk (with scandisk). This is not something happening every day.

Well... no viruses, no disc errors.

I am curious what happend too (and little bit sad).

When I`ve run this damned MP mode then on my monitor appeard "Wait" or something (I dont know because I have polish version as I said and in polish it is "poczatek odliczania") and hard disc was still working (without any progres on monitor). After 2-3 minutes I shut down the game (in first time using reset - and there was FAT error). Now on my disk are directories OperationFlashpoint, Windows, Program Files/NortonSystemWorks with only couple files.

I have second partition too but (thanks God!!!wink.gif she is in good condition.

Well, FAT32 system which Win98 uses keeps two copies of  the file allocation table in case the first table corrupts. Sometimes it may corrupt when you have to do a hard reset and the OS doesn't have enough time to update the FAT and write the data correctly. I bet you could've retrieved your data by running Scandisk afterwards from a bootable diskette. Scandisk can compare the different copies of FAT and replaces it with the working copy if the other one fails.

Other than that, I can't say what's wrong with your system.

I know about scandisk`s abillities and FAT`s properities.

I know, this is wear (and I think difficult) when something delete system without any defence reaction of Win.

You have absolutely right. Something is wrong with my system: this is Windows98 :) But... all people in my country have it. I use this copy of Win for couple year.

Earlier I played in MP mode without any problems. But then I had LAN card. When I lost twice this poor data I hadn`t. Maybe here is a problem?

Hmm, you list all your hardware with a hard disk error except your hard disk type. smile.gif

Do you have a Maxtor?

I forget about it.

No, I have Seagate 40 GB (I think that U6).

My proposition:

Maybe somone can verify my earlier theory about playing in MP

without LAN card and installed protocols (but this can be dangerous)?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Czarny @ Dec. 09 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I forget about it.

No, I have Seagate 40 GB (I think that U6).

My proposition:

Maybe somone can verify my earlier theory about playing in MP

without LAN card and installed protocols (but this can be dangerous)?<span id='postcolor'>

No I don't think it can be dangerous.

I am "certain" your problem does not come from OFP, do you have a virus of some sort? And maybe it's just how your Seagate works... smile.gif (Seagate is not the most reliable HW maker out there)

EDIT: ah, you already checked for viruses...

EDIT2: I have seen this happen on Maxtors, now you with Seagate, not sure, maybe the MB controller is the problem, or PSU is not properly regulated??? Are you still having the problem?

More...

The K7S5a is a very reliable board, except some users reported losing their BIOS.

I would like to know how you played in MP without having the Ethernet drivers installed, since in Windows if there is no driver, there is no protocol, there is no connection. sad.gif

I didn`t say that I played in MP without protocols. I said that I tried to play. And when I tried I lost partition.

Happened to me also, all files except ofpresistance.exe and few OFP files simply disappeared while playing OFP. This was with WIN98. No viruses, didn't find anything what was wrong. 8 Gigabytes just vanished.

One friend of mine had same problem yesterday, and his OFP was on his drive C: Byebye Windows(XP).

And third victim was our server, three times in row when installing OFP Resistance. (Win2k)

EDIT: or right after installation.

Hmmm

When OFP-R had just come out I was playing away happily and all of a sudden my computer crashed and wouldnt restart.

I bought a new HDD and managed to get 80% of data back off old drive which I relegated to my 2nd Drive.

At the time I thought maybe my HDD had crashed but its worked fine as second drive since, maybe it was OFP although i never considered it till reading this thread.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Czarny @ Dec. 11 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I didn`t say that I played in MP without protocols. I said that I tried to play. And when I tried I lost partition.<span id='postcolor'>

Okay, well anyway, this should not be the reason for losing data.

You lost data, probably had a harddisk problem, or some sort of power supply problem?

And then there is the infamous VIA data corruption problem. Data can get corrupted during both reads and writes, and if the corruption occurs while critical file system structures are being updated by the OS, I suppose a drive could get lost.

I have had to reinstall OFP before, because it got deleted by some mysterious manner, after starting a new MP game in Directplay. Until now, I thought I must have done something wrong.

But now it beats even the most vicious virus, and I'm sure I didn't do this myself: Right after starting a Directplay MP game, the harddisk started running and OFP got unresponsive. The only thing ik could do was kill the OFP process.

Guess what: THE WHOLE CONTENT OF THE HARDDISK PARTITION HOLDING OFP GOT DELETED, EXCLUDING CUSTOM ADDONS, BUT INCLUDING MY O2 WORK!

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>F*** IT</span>

mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif

Poor fella. sad_o.gif

This old thread may be somewhat related.

I do remember only one case in the past where this was reported. The analysis was inconclusive but the assumptions were that it wasn't OFP.

Well, I'm certain I can reproduce it now, but I'm going to reinstall my machine, and hope that I will NEVER see this bug again. It has cost me a few hours modelling work, all my home-made missions, and my own artillery script.

If it does roar it's ugly head again, I'll... I'll... just break up an cry...

sad_o.gif

I doubt OFP had anything at all to do with this problem.

Dadster

two months ago something (ofp?) deleted the content of my addons (ofp/addons & /res/addons) and my user/raedor/missions folders (while i played an ofp mission>>i had to restart). some days later my hd didnt want to work... i had to buy a new one. thats the matter why i dont think that ofp deleted the files.

I had these strange things happening in the last days. Files disapperaring. My mIRC folder dissappeared today for instance. As did several shortcuts referring to some ubi soft product registration thingie..... I am about to have a missfit on my computer. This my friends in the reason some people choose consoles, they hate these idiotic OS's! Also my MP3 database got poffed, and they were legal MP3's at that....

Guest BratZ

Bummer ,that is very sad. Altho I havent played OFP multiplayer in a while.I have been playing OFP since release and never had anything like that happen.

I also own a maxtor 80 gig like was in question on that older topic.

I have AMD 1333,512 sdram,G4 ti 4200,Maxtor 60 gig and 80 gig hdd's, running Win98se

I have ran OFP,O2 and viewer,PSpro and a multitude of programs at same time.

I had my F4U model disappear when I was working on it once,but I suspect Makepbo, O2 also stopped working at that time.

I doubt OFP had anything at all to do with this problem.

Dadster

That's what I thought, until I reinstalled OFP (after it got mysteriously deleted, along with a few other files) and tried creating a new DirectPlay game. Now I waited a bit longer for the game to start, which it didn't. What it did do was delete the contents of it's partition.

I must say I also had problems starting new games in sockets mode. When starting a new game, the OFP process would simply die (about 75% chance)

I just reinstalled my system, and I can tell you OFP will get its very own user-account on my system, so the game will be contained in its own directory.

Our dedicated server admin (a directplay server) apparently had this happen to him too a few times. When he started the OFP Dedicated server for the first time after a clean windows install the whole partition got cleaned. It happened two times in a row I think, dunno what he did to get it to work...