Sign in to follow this  
Warin

A novel idea...

eh hem..... wink_o.gif

Hey what? it has to do with communication and thinking, which this thread is about is it not? biggrin_o.gif

The one poem I translated that made me laugh most (and yes, I guarantee I didn't mess up the translation) - Keep in mind this guy is considered as one of the best poets of Latin America.

XXVII (Nude you are as simple as...)

Nude you are as simple as one of your hands,

sleek, earthly, minimum, round, transparent,

you have lines of the moon, roads of apple,

nude you are as slim as a nude stalk of wheat.

Nude you are as blue as the Cuban night,

you have vines and stars in your hair,

nude you are enormous and yellow

like the summer in a golden church.

Nude you are as small as one of your finger nails, curved, delicate, pink until the day is born

and you go into the long subterranean part of the world

like in a long tunnel of costumes and tasks:

your clarity dims, dresses up, sheds

and once again turns into a nude hand.

rock.gifcrazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Original in Spanish here:

http://www.servicioweb.cl/poesia/sonetos.htm#pneruda_10

@ May 27 2003,23:45)]
Perhaps a simple solution would be to make linguistic structuralism or semiotics a compulsory topic in school syllabuses. But that would probably just confuse people. As the article mentions, the primary purpose or drive of basic compulsory education in western society does not appear to be making people actually think.

Schools just and  extension of daycare for teenagers not a place of  learning  blues.gif

You get out of school what you put in. A mistake many people make is that school is supposed to spoonfeed you everything.

If i put u in  a cardboard box ,or anywhere else totally removed from education, and called  it  ur new school would  u  learn  anything from it apart from boredom or patience??

XXVII (Nude you are as simple as...)

Nude you are as simple as one of your hands,

sleek, earthly, minimum, round, transparent,

you have lines of the moon, roads of apple,

nude you are as slim as a nude stalk of wheat.

Nude you are as blue as the Cuban night,

you have vines and stars in your hair,

nude you are enormous and yellow

like the summer in a golden church.

Nude you are as small as one of your finger nails, curved, delicate, pink until the day is born

and you go into the long subterranean part of the world

like in a long tunnel of costumes and tasks:

your clarity dims, dresses up, sheds

and once again turns into a nude hand.

humz if this is poetry i'd call Bob Dylan the better poet wink_o.gif Atleast he is somewhat understandable and makes less odd analogies .... "nude you are as slim as a nude stalk of wheat." Man if i said that in dutch to my girlfriend i think she would bust my head smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] If i put u in a cardboard box ,or anywhere else totally removed from education, and called it ur new school would u learn anything from it apart from boredom or patience??
Since when is patience a bad thing?

tounge_o.gif

"nude you are as slim as a nude stalk of wheat." Man if i said that in dutch to my girlfriend i think she would bust my head smile_o.gif

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at, how about "nude you are enormous and yellow"? biggrin_o.gif

My english teacher, at least in my senior year, wasn't very tolerant. I understand she had to remain in control of her class, but I don't appreciate being "stifled" every step of the way. I couldn't even tell a joke without being threatened to write an essay on the subject.

Ok, enough high school anger has vented today. smile_o.gif

Anyway, my second semester in college was probably the best for me. This teacher didn't really teach, she had us write... and write and write and write. Then she'd show us what we did wrong and make us write some more. I've always thought I had a good grasp on the language, even though some of you probably don't think so.

I'll leave you with another thing I picked up in high school. A haiku written by a friend of mine....

Who let the dogs out?

who, who, who, who, who, who, who

Who let the dogs out?

Seriously, our teacher made us go sit in a field and write haikus and this is what one guy came up with.

One of my teachers in high school would make us write a 1000 word essay on the inside of a ping pong (table tennis) ball.  She would give these out as punishment for being late, not doing homework, etc.

Back then, we didn't have google or even the internet, and even today, info on the subject is pretty thin.

One of my classmates managed to bring up the Holocaust in his ping pong essay, not sure how or why, but he did. biggrin_o.gif

I never wrote it myself, but I did tell a classmate to mention that the air inside the ping pong ball may contain trace amounts of fart from some of the employees working at the ping pong ball factory might produce, especially if they had bean burritos the night before. biggrin_o.gif

This punishment was better that writing poems, that's for sure.

Teacher: Ok class, today we're going to read and write poems.

DA: FUCK YOU BITCH!

Teacher  Ok, mister, no poetry for you. You will write a 1000 word essay on the inside of a ping pong ball.

DA  WOOO HOOO!!!!!!  biggrin_o.gif

-=Die Alive=-

@ May 28 2003,00:19)]
Being wordy is also good for your eh... love life. rock.gif

chicks dig lame poetry smile_o.gif

That depends on the persons personality. ;)

Being wordy is way better than talking simplisticly boring imho.

Sure, but you should not force people to be wordy if their personaly does not fit it. You shouldn't pick and choose in people if they should be wordy or not, like you can't pick and choose what you get in your own life (parents, birthplace etc).

It's not normal for some people to be excessively wordy, yet they can talk simplistically and think well.

Who let the dogs out?

who, who, who, who, who, who, who

Who let the dogs out?

Watching white moon face

The stars never feel anger

Blah, blah, blah the end

Remember this one?

Booze Nullifies Brain

Body Relaxes As Control Fades

Cranium Bites Tarmac

Booze Nullifies Brain

Body Relaxes As Control Fades

Cranium Bites Tarmac

LOL that's a keeper!

@ May 27 2003,23:45)]
Perhaps a simple solution would be to make linguistic structuralism or semiotics a compulsory topic in school syllabuses. But that would probably just confuse people. As the article mentions, the primary purpose or drive of basic compulsory education in western society does not appear to be making people actually think.

Schools just and  extension of daycare for teenagers not a place of  learning  blues.gif

You get out of school what you put in. A mistake many people make is that school is supposed to spoonfeed you everything.

If i put u in  a cardboard box ,or anywhere else totally removed from education, and called  it  ur new school would  u  learn  anything from it apart from boredom or patience??

What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

I think ur smart enough to work that one out urself

Now you're contradicting yourself. If school is just an extension of daycare, why bother with the education part? Why not just do it kindergarten-style, complete with nap time and recess? I'd kind of enjoy that, actually. If everything was as cynically pointless as you're insinuating, they'd just put students in a room and make them watch TV all day (government propaganda, naturally). But no, the goal is to make an honest attempt to educate the likes of you. True, it isn't always a successful attempt, but that isn't necessarily the teacher or school's fault. Education is a two-way street.

I know you're a rebellious kid who isn't supposed to like or appreciate anything that is part of 'The Establishment', but at least try and recognize that maybe, just maybe, it's all in your head. Schools are actually meant to educate, but because of unwilling students who feel the need to make things difficult, schools also have to babysit your ass. I know I don't appreciate that kind of treatment, and I don't know a single kid who does. But I recognize that it's a natural side-effect of an unholy union between stupid kids and stupid beauracracy, and not part of some conspiracy. Sure, there are bad teachers, but I know worse students.

The core point is, of course, that you are missing the fundamental point of education. You are not a recipient, you are a participant. If you don't do your part, the teachers can't do their part. That means that the system isn't failing you, you are failing yourself. I go to what is considered a mediocre public school in a state whose public education ranking never gets better than 45th in the nation, and I have the ability to do well in some of the best colleges in the country. Kids at my school are recognized by National Merit, and we have semi-finalists on a yearly basis. We also have about 10 percent of every class dropping out (it's actually a bit more than this). So what does that mean? Is the school preventing these kids from succeeding? No, they just don't want to log the time. This is a very simple concept, and it's really too bad that I have to repeat myself: you get out of it what you put in. If you make an effort, you'll get whatever you want out of it, including an excellent education and great opportunities. If you drag your feet and generally are an ungrateful little bastard, all you'll ever get out of school will be D-Hall and office referrals. Duh.

Shit, I can't believe I'm defending school. Wierd.

Didn't enjoy school much eh?

Still, it stood me well in life, now I don't have to work a dead end job for the rest of my life. If you can't be bothered to put in the effort, get a private tutor, or be prepared to piss the rest of your life away.

Regardless of what schools are -meant- to do, its a fact that some are poor at giving school leavers anything more than at most a rudimentary grasp of the subjects studied. It is not so hard from a certain perspective either to see some schools as little more than factories for producing workers (not that this is necessarily surprising or bad) and some schools really arent so hot as a means of education at all (lacking essential resources, full of misbehaving kids, poorly motivated or trained teachers etc). That may be what Renagade (didnt anyone teach you how to spell boy?wink_o.gif ) is trying to say.

Different places have different stories but in general i agree with you that you get out of education what you put in. smile_o.gif

Anyway school sucks!

hah

Still, it stood me well in life, now I don't have to work a dead end job for the rest of my life. If you can't be bothered to put in the effort, get a private tutor, or be prepared to piss the rest of your life away.

Harping back to the point of if i put u in a box and labelled it as school how much would u learn if u put in 100% ??

and the name was already taken before i registered. ,IsthatyouJohnWayne smile_o.gif

and i love the way u called me a kid tex rock.gif

Harping back to the point of if  i put u  in a box and labelled  it as school how much would  u learn if  u put  in 100%  ??

and the  name was already taken before  i registered.  ,IsthatyouJohnWayne smile_o.gif

and i love the way u  called me a kid  tex   rock.gif

Maybe if you didn't have the spelling skills of one, I wouldn't make those kinds of assumptions.

Dont take it  personally,i just found it amusing and  are they really spelling errors or typos.

Let me further this by introducing  job training from the some lovely company the job center  puts u on.

Now if u been  out  of  work for about 6 weeks  or  so u get put on this  thing called new deal or raw deal as i come to call it.

To cut a long story short and to give  u an idea of what u  should expect,this place  had metal grills bolted onto the outside of the windows.*

*note everyone gets sent  there.

Well Tex for a high school student, your verbal skills and reasoning ability are right up there at the college level. Continue playing the game and you'll do well. College for the first two years is just high school with smoking allowed and also they don't give a shit if you show up for class or not. You'll still have the same socially inept retards forming cliques to mask their total inability to do anything original, only now they'll be called fraternities and sororities. When you move into your field of study (if you've picked a good one) those people will be gone by then, having flunked out or gone to work for daddy's company, and you'll be left with those who really care about what they are learning. Its nice to be near graduation, I'll be done this January and then after a few classes to complete my minor, it's off to law school!

Sorry Renagade, nothing personal. In fact, being a kid all my life up to this point tounge_o.gif, I've never found it especially insulting; as such, I never use it in an insulting way. Just figured that someone complaining so much about school had to be either currently enrolled or just graduated, that's all.

Actually even large numbers of graduates don't actually care about what they studied or are not interested/ can not work in the field. It's just about doing what everyone wanted you to do, go get a degree/diploma. wink_o.gif To some extent that's true for almost everyone, but at least they become interested and will work well with what they learned.

Famous dropouts (in random order):

Albert Einstein

HG Wells

Bill Gates

Steven Spielberg

Michael Caine

Just about every successful commercial musician

Patrick Stewart

Stanley Kubrick

Here is a bigger, but incomplete list:

678 Reason Why School Sucks ;^)

This is not an encouragement to drop out, but rather to be independent. Don't let anyone tell you how to do things... unless they can kick your ass.  tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at, how about "nude you are enormous and yellow"?
Yet another night sleeping on the couch at best, a night in the emergency room at worst  wink_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]Famous dropouts (in random order):

Albert Einstein

HG Wells

Bill Gates

Steven Spielberg

Michael Caine

Just about every successful commercial musician

Patrick Stewart

Stanley Kubrick

Here is a bigger, but incomplete list:

678 Reason Why School Sucks ;^)

This is not an encouragement to drop out, but rather to be independent. Don't let anyone tell you how to do things... unless they can kick your ass.

First off i dropped out too, from college. Not the worst thing i did in my live. But i did complete my MCSE's which helps. Secondly lets not take commercially succesfull artist as the Intellectual spearhead of society ... look at britney. Lets not go there, ok? smile_o.gif I would not suggest dropping out to anyone with the mental stamina to take endless crap about how you are not going to go anywhere from people who are clearly you minor intellectually. Which leads me to the next point. Being smart doesn make you friends. Less intelligent people are scared by the smarter ones ..... anyone else experience that?