Sign in to follow this  
Greg

Sound is screwed with eax and nforce2

I recently started enabling Hardware sound and EAX in all my games because I switched from SBLive which uses 10% or more CPU time for sound processing to nForce2 motherboard with sound storm that does hardware 3d sound almost for free. I'm happily using EAX in other games including Unreal Tournament 2003 but when I turn it on in OFP:R...

It starts with loud sounds like trees being crushed and tanks driving, then accumulates more and more sounds, so after a few seconds there is just a huge roar of deafening noise.

Yes, I've checked the FAQ and searched this forum to no avail. I notice at least one other post reporting the same problem on a similar board.

System:

Epox 8RDA+ (nForce2)

WindowsXP

Athlon XP2100

512mb

Geforce3ti200

What version of OFP are you using? The sound ramping was changed at one point, and that problem should have been fixed by the change.

Tried to turn off hardware acceleration under configuration panel/sounds/advanced ?

Tried to turn off hardware acceleration under configuration panel/sounds/advanced ?

I just tried this... LOL,  I suppose this does *fix* the problem.  If I move the slider down one notch, the EAX option in OFP is permanently disabled, if I move the slider down completely, the HW Acceleration option in OFP is permanently disabled as well.

Oh yeah, Mister Frag, I'm using OFP:R v1.91.

It seems to be a problem on Nvidia's end, and happens with most games. The sounds are incorrectly occluded and so forth, so you might not hear a thing 5m away, but you can hear a tank on the other side of Nogova.

I went back to using my SB Live with the KX Project drivers, which are fantastic.

I have the same problem, VIA KT266 + Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun!!!

Just turn off the hardware acceleretion in the audio option applet in OFP, make sure the EAX is still enabled and it will work fine with all the distance and blocking effects (and surround as well)

I did change my Sound blaster audigy for the inboard APU of the asus A7N8X deluxe and never regretted it

EAX doesn't work without hardware acceleration -- if you turn the latter off, you get OFP's built-in sound engine, which isn't bad at all.

Similar problem with a Asus P4PE mobo (onboard SoundMAX 5.1 AC '97). crazy_o.gif

Search The FAQ for "onboard sound". The matching FAQ item talks about another problem but maybe the solution is the same or similar, if applicable.

In addition, several people here have reported resolving onboard sound chip problems by buying a low cost reputable sound card. By reputable, I mean anything other than SB Live, though some folks consider any sound card from Creative to be of ill repute.

Having used kX project drivers for several months now, I can assure you that 99.99% of all SB Live problems were the fault of Creative's driver dev team, rather than the hardware.

With 3rd party drivers, there are no issues whatsoever with OFP.

New Nforce 2.45 drivers w/ 3.84 audio drivers seems to fix my problems. Asus A7N8X 1.04.

Now EAX sounds play correct.

This is for the Asus A7N8X motherboards as posted on the Asus site.

A7N8X deluxe audio output issue

Problem For those of you with nForce 2 boards that have Center/LFE channels that don't sound right, there is a quick little fix.

It seems that the different speaker system makers switch up which channel should be the center or the LFE on the mini-jack plug, so those who have center channels that either don't work, or sound very distorted, this could be the problem. Before this the fix has been to pull the center plug halfway out of the connector, and the center channel started to work. This isn't a great way to do this, as it cuts off the LFE signal totally if your system is set up as such. ASUS has actually posted a quick little proggy that fixes this problem by switching the center and LFE signals. I believe this fix comes directly from NVIDIA, but it seems that Asus is the only one to post it at the moment. This little program is called NVSwap, and it does a couple of other swaps with other plugs

Answer This is because different speakers have different definitions of center and subwoofer. Thus NVIDIA provides us a tool which can allow us manually adjust center and subwoofer output. Please go to the?link below to download the tool. ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/utils/nf2/nvswap.zip

TThor

Having used kX project drivers for several months now, I can assure you that 99.99% of all SB Live problems were the fault of Creative's driver dev team, rather than the hardware.

With 3rd party drivers, there are no issues whatsoever with OFP.

Really!!! Does this fix the crackling sound in vehicles that can only be fixed by switching to thrid person and back?

I have the absolute latest Creative drivers for my SB Live and 3DS sound works properly, but the crackling still happens.

Sure does toadlife, I haven't had to do the double-enter-tap in as long as I can remember smile_o.gif.

DS hardware acceleration is being worked on at the moment by the team.  3534b/c support DS3D hw acceleration, but there are problems, especially with doppler.  However, the lead programmer assured me that software utilises no more cpu cycles than hardware acceleration, and if anyone is a position to truly know, I guess it's him.

They're geared towards audio production, so they're also immensely configurable.

I don't see how using KX's drivers that don't utilise any hardware acceleration is any different from turning off hardware acceleration using creative labs drivers, that too solves the crackle thing but it pretty much worthless because you lose out plenty when not being able to use features you paid for, it's a workaround yes but the sound quality to me at least is greatly reduced, so far the only solution is to rip out SB Live cards and replace them with something useful, what that "useful" card is I don't know but I'm planning to do it myself.

Although hardware acceleration is not working properly at the moment, if you choose to use it, none of the crackling occurs. As far as I'm aware, there is absolutely zero difference between software/hardware DS3D, other than where the reverb/occlusion etc is calculated

They also solve the age old Via + SB Live problem as well, which occured whether acceleration was being used or not.

I would use the kX drivers even if I had an Audigy 2, because they're far superior to Creative's drivers in every respect.

New Nforce 2.45 drivers w/ 3.84 audio drivers seems to fix my problems. Asus A7N8X 1.04.

Now EAX sounds play correct.

You're right. These new drivers work fine.... Hardware Accel + EAX sounds good! Yay!