Sign in to follow this  
InQUisiToR

High detail weapon pack released!

See I'm not knocking a high-res addon pack. But I think it's wholly irresponsible of the community if that trend were to totally encompass the way addons are made. The whole "computers get faster everyday" philosophy is a very thin excuse. I know of very few people even though they can buy new components frequently who simply find it ridiculous to have to upgrade so frequently or buy a new $2,500 machine. It is. People with higher end machines are in the minority. So yes having high-def addon packs is fine, it's just when everyone tries to adopt this philosophy.

Look at unreal 2's system requirements.

Pentium III or AMD Athlon 733MHz processor  (*Pentium or AMD 1.0 GHz or greater RECOMMENDED)

128 MB RAM (256 MB RAM or greater RECOMMENDED)

3 GB Harddisk space

8X CD Rom

Windows compatible sound card (*Sound Blaster Audigy series sound card RECOMMENDED) (NVIDIA nForce or other motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio. Also RECOMMENDED)

3D Accelerator card with 16 MB VRAM (*32-128 MB VRAM RECOMMENDED) 16 MB TNT2-class DirectX version 6 compliant video card. (*NVIDIA GeForce 2/ATI Radeon RECOMMENDED) DirectX version 8.1 (Included on game disc)

The performance is not always but -should- be focused on what the game was designed to do. Having addons that collectively increase the system requirements of ofp which in relative terms of what they're "supposed" to be capable of (in ofp's case large scale battles) making it more demanding than a game like Unreal 2 is both laughable and irresponsible.

Unreal 2 is nothing but useless gimmicks and bells and whistles. Yet I'm seeing a trend wherein to run OFP as it's intended to run you'll need a computer better than would be required to run a game like Unreal 2.

That's one thing that addonmakers are totally ignorant of (or seem to be). Is the fact that their addon isn't the going to only thing being used in a game. Yes I know people who work for certain businesses that can access faster computers for either a really cheap price or temporarily for free... but what kind of idiot buys a new PC every six months? Someone with too much money on their hands... and in any case. A definite minority.

It works fine on my 600 Dollar machine?rock.gif I haven't gotten an upgrade just got it right after thanksgiving.

Baphomet: what i wanted to say was "to each his own." I like the diversity. And from what the guys of bas have said, they will continue to make addons that will run on slow computers (cause some of them have really slow computers too ;)).

I like the ability to replay the single-player campaign with hi-sky mod, high detail weapons, etc. And i don't see the HARM in having those addons available to the community. I mean, you don't play the ADDONS, you play the missions, and as i said, as an "irresponsible" mission maker i can create missions WITHOUT any inofficial addon which lag the hell out of slower boxes. So the problem is not the addons.

Although you are right that if every addon were to use for example jpg textures then mission makers would have a really hard time making missions with inofficial addons which still work on lower-end machines.

It works fine on my 600 Dollar machine?rock.gif I haven't gotten an upgrade just got it right after thanksgiving.

Works fine on my barely $1200 machine.

Quote[/b] ]but what kind of idiot buys a new PC every six months? Someone with too much money on their hands... and in any case. A definite minority.

I plan to get a new PC or upgrade once every two or three years.

Minority? Maybe, maybe not. Judging by a poll I set up about viewdistance, most people set theirs to about 1500 with normal terrain detail. This leaves me to believe, that most people have about a 1ghz or better processor. And judging by the processor speed and most people I know, I would guess they have at least a 64MB Graphics card. RAM would be between 256 to 512 MBs.

Most people should be able to handle it fairly well.

Works fine on my barely $1200 machine.

Quote[/b] ]but what kind of idiot buys a new PC every six months? Someone with too much money on their hands... and in any case. A definite minority.

I plan to get a new PC or upgrade once every two or three years.

Minority? Maybe, maybe not. Judging by a poll I set up about viewdistance, most people set theirs to about 1500 with normal terrain detail. This leaves me to believe, that most people have about a 1ghz or better processor. And judging by the processor speed and most people I know, I would guess they have at least a 64MB Graphics card. RAM would be between 256 to 512 MBs.

Most people should be able to handle it fairly well.

With 1200 Dollars you could get an awesome atlas computer with an awesome video card!

For 1299 you can get an Atlas XP8000

Stats

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

512MB RAM

Black "see thru" Case w/Neon Light

80G 7200rpm U133 HD

16X DVD

Radeon 9700 Pro 8X AGP

NEC 19" AS90 Monitor

Certified Dolby 5.1 Sound

Creative 5.1 Spkr/Sub

Ports

MS Windows XP Home

$1299

http://www.buy-atlas.com/

Sorry to drag this thread back on topic, but...

I'm having a problem with this addon. I put it in my add-on folder, tried to boot up OFP, and got:

HWCEXT_GETLINEARADDR Failed

What does this mean? I took the file out of my addons folder afterwards, and OFP ran fine. Why?

Right... my simple thought on this:

Weapons like these can be used for eyecandy basically. Therefore, you can use them in recon/covert-op, ect. missions... in which there will be only a few west soldiers running around with these spiffy guns.

It sure does feel very kool sneaking behind enemy lines and sniping a high-ranking officer with one of those sexy guns. smile_o.gif

I used the config file for these and it made the units not lag. Before the Config file it lagged like crazy.

Surely someone here knows the editor names for weapons and ammo.

i usually just de pbo the fi.le and look at some of the files

This new addon is worth getting alone for the luger, it plainly ROCKS

the nade launchers good...

Really great work Inquisitor... updating my favourite weapon pack, improving near perfection..... within the limits of the game

Quote[/b] ]The M24 does not show a crosshair when not in ironsite view.

That could be the way its supposed to be, forcing the player to use the scope instead of crosshair.

If you're up close to someone, you should be able to use the crosshair, just as on any other rifle.

If you're distant, as you normally are with a sniper rifle, the crosshair isn't going to help.

So it should be there, no differently than BIS' M21 and Dragunov.

Some Sniper Weapon Systems have a peek-through scope mount enabling use of iron sights as a back-up.

My Colt AR-15A2 Delta HBAR with NATO Stanag scope mount was this way. It may be a diff story with weapons with Picatinny rails. I dunno.

6. I've never seen a green M60. (I used to be a M60 gunner).  Please make it black like the rest of the weapons.

M60a.sized.jpg

I hope you're not trying to say the M60 IS green, using a black M60 tinted with greenish light as proof.

The M60 is definitely black and dark metal gray. The flip-up belt feed cover is made up a silvery metal painted with black paint that wears off rather easily, at least on the models used in the 80's and earlier.

But I think those who are against the heavy recoil on the M24 have never fired a scoped .308 weapon.  The recoil is actually much worse in real life and you normally never see your bullet hit the target through the scope unless you are very good at quickly re-aquiring your target with the scope.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Yeah, but if you're using a bipod your firing position is quite a bit more stable than firing from a standing position.

For one, the bipod allows you to rest the weapon's weight on the bipod, while standing requires you to hold the barrel up.

I don't think I've ever seen video of a rifle with a bipod recoiling so much that the feet of the bipod lift off of the ground.  Mostly the weapon just pushes rearward.  On the "Covert Ops Essentials" CD for Rogue Spear they DID show video of an M14 being fired full-auto with a bipod, and THAT *DID* slide the weapon's bipod to the right across the table, if I remember correctly.

Doesn't the M24 come with a bipod, standard?

It is a very difficult situation. If you make models for the top end specs, then you alienate the low end users (who are, to be honest the majority) Or if you make low poly models, you are penalising the higher end users for having faster machines... This is a consideration a lot of addonmakers over look, and quite often they do alienate the low end users, purely because they are ignorant to the fact that not everyone has a PC as powerful as theirs...

I think that you should consider what specs you'll get on a system that is selling for $400 brand-new at the time of the addon's release and consider that the standard.

You can currently get a P4 2.2 Gig with 512 Megs of RAM (you'll need it for Resistance) for $500 refurbished from Dell.

With computers there comes a time when it actually becomes more economical to upgrade. Or... you can continue to compute with only 3 windows open at once, crashing every hour or so.

OFP was designed with backwards-compatibility in mind. Addons should be designed that way, too. If your mod will be played a year down the road, you should design it for $400 systems a year down the road. (Besides, can't you lower the res of your textures in your preferences, anyway?)

Thats the point Firestarter. You need to make addons that will work well on the 500MHz machines, yet still look the mutts nuts on the top end machines. Its tricky to do, but very achievable if you put the effort in.

I suggest making Addons OFP official specs

Minimal:

P II 400

64 mb ram

16mb gfx card ram

Recommended:

Pentium III 600

128 mb ram

3d gfx 32 mb ram

smile_o.gif

That's a great notion, but we aren't in 2001, anymore.

We need to ask ourselves what the game's specs would be if OFP:R were released, TODAY.

Also keep in mind what the specs of OFP2 might turn out to be about a year from now.

There comes a time to move on and force people to turn their antiquated and increasingly obsolete systems into artificial reefs.

Give the crap system to your kid and explain the economics of the thing to your wife.

"Honeyyyyy, ripping your favorite music will be sooooo much faster on a new system. Just look! They're selling for $400 systems that are 6 times faster than the one we are currently using. That means I'll only be on the computer 1/6th of the time I currently am."

Of course, you'll wind up spending more time on the computer playing OFP, but you don't tell HER that.

I´m working now on v1.1

The new pack comes with some new weapons:

- M79 and P08 for Resistance

I don't mean to sound like a jerk (which might be what I am), but both the M79 and the Luger P08 are unlikely weapons when packed with the others.

(For that matter, the HK G36C is highly unlikely bunched with the rest of those mostly U.S. weapons.)

Anyone who has access to grenade launchers would opt for any rifle with an M203, instead.

And only a Neo-Nazi or a WW2 Vet defending his home would use a Luger P08.

It's just for weapons. He's making them so you could if you wanted to give I44 german's pistols and Sebnam people high textured M79's.

These are NOT the official models. These are inofficial addons which you CAN download and use or you DON'T. If your computer is too slow then do not d/l them. But don't bitvh about the people with better hardware who want to USE that hardware. I play ofp because of the gameplay, but i like good graphics.

Yeah, isn't the AddOn called the "High-Detail Weapons Pack", or something like that?

It would be similiar to using Nishi's Model Mod in Rogue Spear compared to Lloyd's Weapons Mod or NATO. You EXPECT a hit on performance on systems barely meeting the recommended specs.

Anyway, sorry for the multiple posts. I was too tired and lazy to open up two windows and compile, tonight.

hyas all, I followed the instructions and unzipped the 1.1 Hi rez weap pack into my addons folder. Now what? I got an INQ_WeaponPack folder in the addons folder of my OFP GoTY ed. The reame instructions said to unzip the file here. ;0) Some assistance Ce`vue play? thx muchly

Just unzip the 2 PBOs into your addons folder, without retaining any original path names that might have been retained in the ZIP file.

I am stunned. The new hi rez weaps with the new scopes etc, are totally amazing. Same with the hi rez skies. I like the sounds that came with the pack as well. Looks like I may have to play thru the GoTY Ed. campaigne to see all the changes the game itself has added since FP 1st came out.  Love the new GoTY Ed. terrain variation... way less flat than Flashpoint initial release.

I haven`t yet tried the dynamic sound mod yet tho.  But these weaps blow my mind. I didn`t put the soldiers pbo in yet. Can ya tell me what exactly this adds? New un iforms look? Camo? thx bunch.

the soldiers addon adds several units with the new weapons in the editor. Unfortunately, it doesn't affect the campaign at all. But if you make your own missions, or even just your own firefights you can easily access units with both the high detail weapons (including some you wouldn't see in just missions and campaign) and nice hi-res models and textures on the units.