Sign in to follow this  
InQUisiToR

High detail weapon pack released!

I'm having great slow-downs while using these weapons. I love them, though. But could someone convert the textures to paa/pac format to make it less demanding?

I really love the little recoil/kickback on the mounted m60.

which helicopter? theres like 4 different helos (not counting each version)

The medic one, because in FA you can call in a medic chopper if your a certain leval medic.

I dont know if this has been asked, but is there a way to make the addons replace the old weapons? Like the high res sky and sachels sound pack does? Then all we would need is high res soldiers and high res vehicles and OFP will be the community's OFP2 wink_o.gif

i think i saw someone say it would involve swapping the new files for the old on the data.pbo or something or other...though i reckon it would probebly be best to have it as a mod so you could still play MP and not worry about getting modified blablabla.pbo messages

First of all: This is the best weapons-pack ive ever seen. And Bas SHOULD take this weapons for their upcoming units. Isnt it absolutely uninteresting, where this weapons come from?!

Only a few things i have to say:

1. the m60 and the m249 have too less recoil. that are mgs, they should have recoil like mgs. look at AA:O. that m249 has much more recoil.

2. pls tell me, why i should take the m16 when i can take the m4? the m4 has less recoil and kills ppl as fast as the m16 (i tried it). i wish that there would be more differences.

3. pls dont change the recoil of the m24. its very cool, and i think very realistic. but is it possible to reduce recoil at the covered version, because of the bipod?

ok thats all. sry for my bad english (im german).

BAM: I don't know if this is really possible without config.cpp editing. I tried to replace the models in the data3d.pbo and while the normal ofp soldiers where using the hd weapons afterward the gunsights were still the original ones. Maybe i did something wrong though as i never did much pbo editing before.... BTW: If you use t&l you have to use those from the hwtl folder and put the new pbo into the dta/hwtl folder of your mod folder instead of the dta folder.

How did you get the hd weapons into the original game? I use T&L and indeed replaced the data/hwtl/data3d.pbo p3d file with the original one (tested just with the m16) but the old gun was still in the game?

Could you tell me how you got it to work (albeit without the new iron sights)? Did you have to copy or overwrite the textures to get the hd textures into the game? You made no mention of it.

If you could give me the steps for what you done to get the hd weapons in, I would be most greatful:)

As told by InQUisiToR i unpacked the res\dta\hwtl\data3d.pbo and the INQ_WeaponPack.pbo and replaced every weapon from the data3d.pbo with one from the hd pack, renaming them accordingly. Then i repacked the data3d.pbo and put it into a modfolder (like hdweapons\dta\hwtl\data3d.pbo). This left me with the weapons being used in the game by the normal soldiers but without textures. I mailed InQUisiToR and he told me to use the INQ_WeaponPack.pbo too (duh). So i put that into hdweapons\addons\INQ_WeaponPack.pbo and it worked. But as it seems the textures are there but not the gunsights (i get standard gunsights for the new weapons). So maybe i did something wrong or you have to edit the config.cpp to get everything from the new weapons into the original game...

THANKS benu, im gonna give that a try now:)

BAM:)

I'm curious on how to add the mk23 to units and ammocrates since "inq_mk23"/"inq_mk23mag" are not the correct working names for these weapons.

they are by guys who do weapon modelling for Counter Strike (but not original CS models as your post implies)... however I think some of them (like Dead Meat who is mentioned in the credits) also do models and textures for Operation Flashpoint as well.

Just to clear it up - that DeadMeat is NOT, I repeat NOT me.

Just incase you were thinking it was. I am aware of another De@DMe@T (who spelt his name like that) in the community, but I believe that he has been dormant for several months now (I think he was part of De@DMe@T and Backoff addons or summat like that).

Quote[/b] ]And Bas SHOULD take this weapons for their upcoming units.

As Evis has said, we make new models for several reasons:

Porting from other games is not really a challenge... just edit the files a bit and you've got a weapon... takes all of 10 mins... I know, I've done it with a few of the other BAS guys, just to see how the weapons react ingame, and to judge the pros and cons of the CS models.

Ports never ever ever have GOOD lods (either model wise, or texture wise) - this is so detrimental to the game play, as no matter how far away you are from it, the game will still have to create the same 3000 poly model that you see in the 1st person view, and when you are close up to the unit. This puts a massive amount of strain on the CPU and the GPU, and will cause the game to lag like bu**ery...

We (at BAS) enjoy the challenge of making models from scratch. Not only does it allow us to learn a lot more about the game engine and its capabilities, its more of a challenge to us than simply porting the weapons over.

For these reasons, BAS will NOT be using these weapons in any of our packs - we will allways make our own.

(and no offence Inquisitor - I like what you've done... I just dont like the way you've done it...)

Quote[/b] ]Ports never ever ever have GOOD lods (either model wise, or texture wise) - this is so detrimental to the game play, as no matter how far away you are from it, the game will still have to create the same 3000 poly model that you see in the 1st person view, and when you are close up to the unit. This puts a massive amount of strain on the CPU and the GPU, and will cause the game to lag like bu**ery...

Of course they could, but never do.

As told by InQUisiToR i unpacked the res\dta\hwtl\data3d.pbo and the INQ_WeaponPack.pbo and replaced every weapon from the data3d.pbo with one from the hd pack, renaming them accordingly. Then i repacked the data3d.pbo and put it into a modfolder (like hdweapons\dta\hwtl\data3d.pbo). This left me with the weapons being used in the game by the normal soldiers but without textures. I mailed InQUisiToR and he told me to use the INQ_WeaponPack.pbo too (duh). So i put that into hdweapons\addons\INQ_WeaponPack.pbo and it worked. But as it seems the textures are there but not the gunsights (i get standard gunsights for the new weapons). So maybe i did something wrong or you have to edit the config.cpp to get everything from the new weapons into the original game...

Sights have their own models, found in Inquisitor's pack under Optics.

Filenames are like inq_optika_ak47.p3d

In the data pbo:

optika_m16

optika_m60_mg

optika_sniperw (M21)

optika_pk

optika_ak47

optika_snipere (Dragunov)

Just do it like you did the weapons.

GOT IT WORKING benu - including the new iron sights!

Did you rename and copy the iron sight (optika*.p3d files from the OPTICS folder in the hd weapons pbo file into the data3d.pbo? All is working perfect for me here ;)

One thing has come to mind though (NOT related to Inquisitors HD weapons pack) , I have just realised that there is no iron sight for the m203 grenade launcher anymore in my OFP. I definitely remember that iron sight, but it doesnt work now, I even launched the game normally with no mod folders or other addons in use and it still doesnt work - anyone got any ideas as to why this might be? Surely if I run the game clean with no unofficial addons or other changes the m203 iron sight should work??

BAM

ah...I hate to bring bad news,but your memory fails you! there was no iron sight for the m16/m203 rifle. The game just switched to a circle with a dot through it.

Correct, no iron sight for the M203 as such. Several addon makers (BAS, Ebud etc.) included one with their M203s though...if it's only for personal use, you could use one of them...

BTW, did I mention THE SHOTGUN HAS NO IRON SIGHT VIEW? mad_o.gif

For these reasons, BAS will NOT be using these weapons in any of our packs - we will allways make our own.

(and no offence Inquisitor - I like what you've done... I just dont like the way you've done it...)

I like both weapons packs. I wouldn't want BAS to change theirs to this.

That's not to say that both packs couldn't use some improvements. In fact, each could learn from the other, though I agree with BAS concern on performance.

I went back and played some BAS weapons missions yesterday after fiddling around with the HDW Pack. Just as great as they were when BAS released them.

Must admit, it would be nice to have a Russian units and weapons counterpart pack to the BAS D&R. That's what's missing, amongst other things.

Hey, I know the addon maker (converter) probably isn't gonna read this, but could you add tracers to this? Another little buggeh would be the barrel of some of the guns. And the topside of the stock! My guess as to the cause of these bugs, would be unimportance. (Since the stock wasn't seeable in cs) Same goes for the barrel.

I like both weapons packs. I wouldn't want BAS to change theirs to this.

That's not to say that both packs couldn't use some improvements. In fact, each could learn from the other, though I agree with BAS concern on performance.

I went back and played some BAS weapons missions yesterday after fiddling around with the HDW Pack. Just as great as they were when BAS released them.

Must admit, it would be nice to have a Russian units and weapons counterpart pack to the BAS D&R. That's what's missing, amongst other things.

dont forget earl's USMC weapon pack biggrin_o.gif

@Lifter: the correct name is "INQ_Mk23SD" and "INQ_Mk23SDMag"

@DeadMeatXM2: 1. ok i accept nearly all of your arguments. didnt know about this lod-thing. but what i dont understand is "its ONLY imported"-argument. for me as a player it is not important, if the addon-making takes 10 minutes or 10 days or weeks. its important that the result is as good as in this weapons-pack.

2.could you pls use even the iron-sights for your next weapons pack (esp. m4,m16,m249)- they are not taken from cs, but from AA:O. and i think there are no more realistic weapons in the gamers world as the weapons of AA:O.

(...)

could you pls use even the iron-sights for your next weapons pack (esp. m4,m16,m249)- they are not taken from cs, but from AA:O. and i think there are no more realistic weapons in the gamers world as the weapons of AA:O.

I didn't have a good look at the others, but I can tell you the M16 iron sight is not very realistic. It may look pretty cool, but it's not realistic in the way of seeing what you would see when actually using the weapon.

@DeadMeatXM2: 1. ok i accept nearly all of your arguments. didnt know about this lod-thing. but what i dont understand is "its ONLY imported"-argument. for me as a player it is not important, if the addon-making takes 10 minutes or 10 days or weeks. its important that the result is as good as in this weapons-pack.

Indeed, I can appreciate that as the end user the way the addon is made does not really bother you, but there are various concerns and issues with porting weapons from other games.

1) Did the person doing the imports get the permission of the original creators of the models (I appreciate that in this cas Inquisitor did - good lad wink_o.gif )

2) Did they create good LODs for the weapon? Often disregarded, but incredibly important for the reasons I mentioned before.

3) Did they convert the JPEG textres to PAC or PAA? I know that doing this reduces the final visual quality of the weapons (because paa and pac suck as a texture format) In this case Inquisitor did not, whilst he made good LODs, he still used the JPEG textures on all the LODs, this is also highly detrimental to the gameplay, as has been explained at length here.

4) My only other argument - where's the fun Importing stuff?? Its not really a huge challenge... like I and you said... 10 minutes and you've got an Addon... yes its quick, but the end results can be anything but good.... (sure it may lok pretty close up, but without the proper care and attention it'll end up killing your game...)

Just my 0.02$ on the subject...

3) Did they convert the JPEG textres to PAC or PAA? I know that doing this reduces the final visual quality of the weapons (because paa and pac suck as a texture format) In this case Inquisitor did not, whilst he made good LODs, he still used the JPEG textures on all the LODs, this is also highly detrimental to the gameplay, as has been explained at length here.

Have you tried playing my HDW Battlefields missions?

It plays OK on my 2ghz 512MB RAM 64MB Video PC and it's got tons of HDWs. I surmise it's that much less overhead in an average mission.

yeah but there are also users who dont have 2Ghz smile_o.gif