Sign in to follow this  
Lolsav

Common addon pack

Just a quicky, I am starving:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. It would be the same tool. Why would it be separate?<span id='postcolor'>

Linux server here. Windows clients there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, servers update as often as they'd like, and then their server xml-module is updated on the center page, so a client connecting and checking will see if he lacks an addon or has an outdated version. So the players follow the servers.<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, happy with this. That's what I was asking for: Players have to follow servers not addon versions in the first place.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And there are no addons currently in use that are unavailable.

I.E there are download links for all addons in use by servers today, that you can't argue with. Most addons (the most popular ones at any rate) are also hosted by either the addon makers or one of the larger OFP sites or both.

The system would not contain only one single link per addon, it would contain one major, and several mirror links.<span id='postcolor'>

That is the situation now, but it will change for one reason or another. We need a fool-proof system here.

I will keep out of technical details since I have no clue. If it can be done, someone do it. Until I learned how to do it we will be playing OFP3k.

Yes, of course, ports of the program would have to be made for linux servers, but it would be the same program no less, just for a different platform.

What the system changes (and makes fool proof) is that it contains -all- the available download links for addonX.

And, if the program doesn't get a connection from link1.com it goes to link2.com, and if there are no working links it flags that addon. Now, it could be that all the servers that are working are overstressed at the moment, and thus it will work next time, but if not, the people in charge of the system will see what happened to the download links.

Ok is clear, but how do you (i) change maps that mapmakers made (ii) test the functionality of the map automatically? If this would be done, problem solved....

...if not we still dont have this update utility. You see, without that these nice plans cannot be applied in reality. As mentioned by many, we dont know people that have the skill/time to do this.

Finally, can we agree on the following?

1. Formulation of an addon-pack/-selection that will function as standard for all servers/mapmakers that want to participate (after a standard selection of addons is what we ALL desire)

2. We seek a person willing to make the update tool so updating can be done via this method

3. As long the update tool is not available we proceed the way it is done now; a sectioned download from the participating servers.

Is this maybe a concensus everyone can live with? Or did I miss a point here again? Let me know...

Pimmelorus

I'm not participating in this, I've already told you that. I'm working on this system for myself, and of course for anyone who is interested in helping me.

Map-compatibility should not be an issue, I see not why missions made with BAS_X 1.0 would be uncompatible with BAS_X 1.1.

I can understand if addonmakers remove items from the addon, but if they only add the missions should be completely compatible.

And you can't tell me why your addon pack idea would make missions more compatible.

Unless you propose that you alter the missions and ship them with the pack, it will be equally incompatible as addons would be in my system (even though I doubt they would be incompatible at all).

Yes, you are probably right in that in most cases the maps are still functioning. I think I worry too much... No, I was thinking more at the set intervalls of the pack-updates so map makers know when to check their maps for other addons. With an auto- updater they have no clue.

Well, you are working on the auto-updater then? That would be cool; a very nice initiative. But i recon it will be finished long time from now? As mentioned, as soon as this tool becomes reality we are all ears...

Thnx for your input.

As i said i feel this is more of an issue for OFP2, and if we can get a BIS member to contemplate the idea (OFPEC and CoC members aswell) I think "we" will be able to complete the idea, and when OFP2 comes we have a nice system for it that can be built on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As i said i feel this is more of an issue for OFP2, and if we can get a BIS member to contemplate the idea (OFPEC and CoC members aswell) I think "we" will be able to complete the idea, and when OFP comes we have a nice system for it that can be built on.<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately my guess is that OFP MP will be close to dead when OFP2 comes out. That's if we don't find a newbie-suited solution to incorporate new elements into the game.

As Suchey put it somewhere: People are falling off the servers at a quick rate.

We at Zeus can't complain right now but fresh blood will be needed sooner or later.

As i said in my post before, that "we" should experiment with systems to perfect it until a OFP2 release, and get the help of the skilled people at OFPEC and CoC and perhaps some help by BIS. Not that we should wait until OFP2 to be released to make this system.

Or at least wait until BIS AAE is released smile.gif

AAE won't be a system, it will be a standard for addons, and my hopes is that my idea will be joined with AAE and form a complete update system for OFP.

Don't give up guys - for all the people (team addonmakers it seems) who are opposed to it, many of us think it is a great (essential) idea...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ 20 May 2003,02:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't give up guys<span id='postcolor'>

We are not. Just working a bit more on a possible addon pack solution

...but dont dismiss the idea of auto-updating completely. Apparently, autoupdate tools are already in far stage of development, as I was told (something I did not know before, but Lt Damage works on one). But if, such tools will be availble this does, however, not likely mean we will do it as some have suggeste; going as fast as addonmakers release new versions. Still a interval period (of yet undertermined time) will have to be applied.

In the meantime, we are bussy evaluating the possible contents of the addon pack. It turns out that the SES addon pack is already accepted by a number of servers and squads. Currently the ZEUS and SES addon lists are available, the wait is for benu to provide a list of FGG. Then I will put them together and our discussion can start.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nierop @ 20 May 2003,08:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...but dont dismiss the idea of auto-updating completely. Apparently, autoupdate tools are already in far stage of development, as I was told (Lt Damage works on one). But if, such tools will be availble this does, however, not likely mean we will do it as some have suggeste; going as fast as addonmakers release new versions. Still a interval period (of yet undertermined time) will have to be applied.<span id='postcolor'>

Lt Damage's auto-updater system works extremely well, I've used it extensively on the OGN server...