Sign in to follow this  
Lolsav

Common addon pack

Guest DKM-jaguar

Duh, i am so stupid, i now see that most of us are al wrong, and you are a genious and you are right..you must be, you act like you are! congratulations, you are right all the time, obviously. Maybe you should accutally think about other's ideas. just becuase some people dont agree with you, it doesnt mean they are wrong... or maybe they must be wrong becuase you are always right! of course! crazy.gif

BTW, when you say (in the words of DKM-Jaguar) i actually need to have said what you type are my words..i dont remember saying the word Uberpack..

nierop, in the humble beginnings of the thread it was heading towards an uber pack as you were talking about, and when I butted in that's where you all were heading.

My idea is better than yours, if compatibility is what you are looking for, as well as playability.

Why make a standardized pack that is static and clumsy and out of date (if it only updates every 3-6 months) when you can have an automatic system with modules and such that lets both servers and players keep themselves up to date with the latest version of their addons, and get new addons that arrive on the scene?

My friend had an idea, and I'll tell you about it as well.

Each server admin is able to generate an .xml file containing the addons and modules that he has installed on his server (using this system) and that is uploaded as a module on the central server for this system.

So I can opt to download the ServerX module and get all addons used by ServerX.

And this applies to more than MP gaming. It provides people with an easy to use interface for downloading addons and keeping them up to date, for every day use that is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think these packs have the oppurtunity to be very succesfull, but only with correct managment, being carefull not to cause conflict [becuase some one wil want to cause trouble] BUT I also think they are only gonig to acheive what you want them too on a newer game. If you dont agree, I have no problem with it, but i am not going to look at this topic anymore so dont bother posting your outrage. [not that i flamed anyone at all during this entire topic, i thank you very much]<span id='postcolor'>

But Jaguar, if you think in principle this initiative is a good idea (i) what are exactly your objections, and (ii) what are the solutions for those problems you propose keeping in mind maintainance of MP compatibility.

I of course want to listen, but have the feeling that you just have comments, but no solutions that server owners can accept. And they, in the end, are the persons that do this all. I know that some just ARE NOT going to do high-frequencey-updates of their servers (like they dont do now -> no problem). Of course players should like ik too, but if not, the server owners will notice straight away as people stay away from their servers and to to others.

@KottE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My friend had an idea, and I'll tell you about it as well.

Each server admin is able to generate an .xml file containing the addons and modules that he has installed on his server (using this system) and that is uploaded as a module on the central server for this system.

So I can opt to download the ServerX module and get all addons used by ServerX.<span id='postcolor'>

Sure, but we dont have such tool and I do not hear anyone offering to make on. So do we stop MP server standardization by lack of this? NO. As already mentioned somewhere up this thread, it will be less sexy than might be ideally the case.

@Major Fubar

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds like a lot of work, but I'll see what I can do...anything for a cause as worthy as a standardized addon pack!<span id='postcolor'>

Ha ha, I know that is a lot of work, thats why I ask you wink.gif Also it is difficult to do an correct interpretation of the results, and implementation into the composition of the addon pack (100 different people, 100 different addons). But a direct link towards players should be established. Make sure this initiative concerns MP games only (involving only a subset of servers), as i have a feeling that MP players view from a different angle then than other players. In the end the goal is a MP server addon pack, and I am afraid that people feel that this addon pack concerns an all-spanning initiative.

I am really in no position to discuss this since i very rarely play multiplayer. But i feel this is more an issue of the future than a current one. If we can get BIS and OFPEC to start working towards this "addon utility" we will soon have a almost perfect system, this project must go hand in hand with AAE and i hope some BIS members are reading this topic.

ho hum...

[Flame]

Nireop... you haven't listend to a word KToTTE, myself or Jaguar has said, have you??

Now, we appreciate what you are trying to do, and we all agree that "standardising" the servers HAS to be done, in order for OFP to survive...

BUT, what we DON'T agree on, is the way you are going about it...

You seem set on creating these modular zips of addons, that will contain the best of the addons... This is a great idea, IF everyone had cable...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and dont start complaining that I descriminate 56K modem users, because I do not, these peeps are perfectly capable of downloading or getting a cd from friends<span id='postcolor'>

This is not an issue... as whichever way you look at it, you are still going to have to download the SAME overall filesize.

Also, when I gave my opinion on the idea of modular packs, I was shot down, as soon as someone suggests CD's you said

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@CD on magazine covers

This will not work. For me that is period... <span id='postcolor'>

Can you not see how stupid you look now? I was opposed to "Uber Packs" and you told me to shove it, as soon as YOU are opposed to something, it cant be done, period... HOW shallow and one sided is that??

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but have the feeling that you just have comments, but no solutions that server owners can accept<span id='postcolor'>

Only because you are too stubborn to accept them. What we are trying to get at with this dynamic XML is that people SHOULD NOT be forced to download addons that they either

a) Allready have.

b) Do not need to play a certain online session.

My point is, why re-download things when you have the exact same version on your hard drive allready?? Answer me that, if you can.

Also, as i have said at least 5 times allready, whilst YOU may not be worried about versioning, WE [the addon makers] ARE. As I have said, time and time again, versioning can cause issues far beyond your obviously short sightedness in OFP. But hey, what do I know, I'm just an addon maker...

If you are so worried about making this standard server pack, why not listen to experience (not only of the Addon makers, but people like KToTTE, who have hosted OFP sessions since day 1), and YOU do something about it... afterall, we learnt how to make the addons, and we take the time to do it, so you sure as hell can get off your lazy ass and write a small xml script... cant be that hard...

[/Flame]

Just realized something.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>PC GAMER DOES NOT MAIL CD-ROMS TO SUBSCRIBERS.

YOU MUST BUY A PC GAMER MAGAZINE IN A STORE IN ORDER TO GET A CD WITH IT</span>

I like to yell smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DeadMeatXM2 @ 18 May 2003,20:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My point is, why re-download things when you have the exact same version on your hard drive allready?? Answer me that, if you can.<span id='postcolor'>

If ppl have most of the addons why to download them indeed...

Now my answer to that is quite simple. Along with the download Click button we (at SES) have a txt file saying whats in the pack.

If u do have the addons u dont need to download them. Why should ppl do it so? Dont get the pack and get in the server, simple eh?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lolsav @ 18 May 2003,19:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DeadMeatXM2 @ 18 May 2003,20:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My point is, why re-download things when you have the exact same version on your hard drive allready?? Answer me that, if you can.<span id='postcolor'>

If ppl have most of the addons why to download them indeed...

Now my answer to that is quite simple. Along with the download Click button we (at SES) have a txt file saying whats in the pack.

If u do have the addons u dont need to download them. Why should ppl do it so? Dont get the pack and get in the server, simple eh?<span id='postcolor'>

My point is: What if you only have SOME of the addons... and do not know where to find the others, you'd have to spend hours searching various addon sites for the different files, at least with the xml you'd have the direct links right there for you... wouldn't THAT be a whole lot easier than searching various sites for hours on end??

Blackdeat, I have a very suitable acrynom to throw at you:

WTF.

Seriously, what are you talking about?

I subscribe to PC Gamer, and I get the CDs in my mailbox along with the magazine.

And, let me ask you pro-pack people some questions, just reply to them and nothing else when adressing my post, okay?

1) Tell me, in detail, why larger packaged addons are to prefer over a system which automatically updates addons/downloads addons.

2) How, exactly would your system work?

3) How do you justify letting the players (and the server admins) wait for 3-6 months before getting a new update to the pack?

4) Why are you opposing the system that I came up with?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DeadMeatXM2 @ 18 May 2003,21:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My point is: What if you only have SOME of the addons... and do not know where to find the others, you'd have to spend hours searching various addon sites for the different files, at least with the xml you'd have the direct links right there for you... wouldn't THAT be a whole lot easier than searching various sites for hours on end??<span id='postcolor'>

Solutions

1. Get the pack and dont waste hours searching for addons...

2. Dont get the pack and waste hours searching for it (i would go for the first one anytime wink.gif )

And, getting the pack the player will have 100% sure all the missions on the server are compatible with this addons.

Note: The compatibility of addons is more a problem of addon makers than the mission makers actually. Make them compatible with old versions and evryone will have a simplier life. Is it doable? i dunno, im not a addon maker. Im the final consumer.

Maybe this is a bit egoistic, but we should expect Addon makers to worrie themselves with compatibility of the newer versions of their addons with the older ones...

Still not getting it are you Lolsav...

The whole idea of KToTTE's (and my) XML script system, is that you can get ALL the SAME addons as everyone else, WITHOUT having to search, and WITHOUT having to download addons you ALLREADY have...

And on the compatability issue... most of the time it is impossible, as newer functions become available in OFP, then the older versions of the addons become too out of date to be any use...

For example on the MH-47E, the first version was just a helicopter, nothing special, no scripts, no built in cpp magic, no nothing... the second version was so much more advanced than the first, that to keep them compatable with the old missions would be impossible...

And i think u still didnt get the problems of Server admins or you just dont care...

We cannot or want to delete 30 missions just because a new update was done...

Plus you are talking about an idea, and we are dealing with real stuff. Make your idea work and i will gladdy signup for beta tester to see how it will affect servers. I cannot do much more else can i?

Look, i respect and love the work of addon makers. I personnaly requested to have input of addon makers on this discussion. I just hope we all can reach to an acceptable agreement.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ 18 May 2003,13:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Blackdeat, I have a very suitable acrynom to throw at you:

WTF.

Seriously, what are you talking about?

I subscribe to PC Gamer, and I get the CDs in my mailbox along with the magazine.

And, let me ask you pro-pack people some questions, just reply to them and nothing else when adressing my post, okay?

1) Tell me, in detail, why larger packaged addons are to prefer over a system which automatically updates addons/downloads addons.

2) How, exactly would your system work?

3) How do you justify letting the players (and the server admins) wait for 3-6 months before getting a new update to the pack?

4) Why are you opposing the system that I came up with?<span id='postcolor'>

Well I don't. You live on some other continent, some other country (I think). A lot of OFP players are from the US and if I am correct, we don't get the CD's in the mail.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ 18 May 2003,21:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why can't you just let it be and do something simple, like this. I hate downloading stuff I already have just because its a new version - and if its in a 50mb pack I'll be pissed...

http://www.tacticalblunder.com/sap<span id='postcolor'>

There we go Lolsav.. is that gonna be so hard for you server guys to do? Or is that still too tricky for you to understand?

This is the sort of system I have been talking about since post 1 in this thread, so see if you can build on somehing like this k?

We [the addon makers] allready do a hell of a lot for you guys, this one should be up to YOU to get sorted wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DeadMeatXM2 @ 18 May 2003,22:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is the sort of system I have been talking about since post 1 in this thread, so see if you can build on somehing like this k?<span id='postcolor'>

disabled.jpeg

First i thought a bit before replying you, and i the image above speaks for itself. I dont blame anyone for this situation, and i do not consider it as a normal situation. But this is what happened when i went there.

Second, the question of compatibility of maps and addons wouldnt be solved, cuz at addon sites developers they remove old versions (of course) and the new ones (as you admited) will be incompatible with the maps.

Third, by having a common pack i save alot of trouble to many guys and will prevent conflicts between addons. Example, on current WW2 demo the mg42 is uncompatible with another mg42. Having them in diffrent addons folders will prevent such conflicts.

Guest DKM-jaguar

oh no! not a picture of a mod that hasn't even released any stuff AFAIK. Damn, you got yourself an argument winner there! And this isnt the fault of addon makers, seeming as you jsut have to visit ofp.info and other sites to see the great amount fo things availabe.

You do realise that RSS hasn't released any addons yet? Thats why the downloads page at their site is disabled... (Blackdog included it as an EXAMPLE in his script)

And, as with all good addons, there will ALLWAYS be mirrors available..

And you are still going on about the maps... its not a huge issue, they can be updated in 5 or 10 mins (IF the need updating at all), and then everyone gets to play with the new addons, and maps.

Otherwise there would be no point in making the addons, as no one would ever update anything to include them...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DeadMeatXM2 @ 18 May 2003,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You do realise that RSS hasn't released any addons yet? Thats why the downloads page at their site is disabled... (Blackdog included it as an EXAMPLE in his script)<span id='postcolor'>

No i didnt realised it, i do other things with my life. I didnt noticed and i ask sorry for that, now just dont burie me under 6 feet for that.

Jaguar, a bit harsh no? I wasnt rude at you at any moment...

And it still doesnt answer to my compatibilty issue, you both skiped that...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And you are still going on about the maps... its not a huge issue, they can be updated in 5 or 10 mins (IF the need updating at all), and then everyone gets to play with the new addons, and maps.<span id='postcolor'>

Keep in mind that the author of the maps has to update its map. And not all authors are waiting for a new version of an addon used on their map, just to update it within 5 minutes after releasing the new version of the addon. That would mean that all maps with with this certain addon on are at least unable to be played for around 1 day -> never (cause missionmaker is in holiday or whatever...). Then you have to distribute those maps also to all servers that use the old version (since it will occure a version conflict when ppl join in with the allready updated addon). All this would require a massive work of the serveradmins/mapmakers, cause they have to add/takeout/update all the time the maps that are no more playable or updated.

You cannot deny that this is quite a lot of work compared to the one update all 2-4 (or whatever month).

After reading through all the new topics since yesterday (whew) i am not sure we are all talking about the same thing. This does not have to be bad as long as everybody knows what all the others are talking about wink.gif

I want to state some arguments which you should keep in mind in this discussion:

-this discussion started between mp server admins who wanted to standardize their addon pack BUT wanted to give everyone the chance to give constructive input. The system we are talking about here ALREADY IS IN PLACE. Each server has an addon pack available for d/l so players can play on that server. The foremost goal here is a standard between some server admins. Map- and Addonmakers are not really concerned, but their input is valued anyway, that was the reason why a forum discussion was started instead of continuing it via email.

-all the addons in the pack are needed. Distribution is no critical thought in this discussion. Players who are not willing to d/l some hundred mb of addons regularly (or at least once and regular updates) are of no interest to those admins as they are not able to play on those servers anyway. If there is a neat solution for those players anyway then that is fine. But having no solution for low-bandwidth/low-traffic players is of no consequence to this discussion. I don't believe any magazine here will put ofp stuff on their cds btw.

-the hottest issue seems to be frequency of updates and all related topics (like compatibility of addons and maps for example). Sadly, most people seem to repeat their opinion again and again and don't listen to other viewpoints instead of seeing those other opinions as a chance to maybe improve their system. I think this is the part we need to work on, regarding both the content and the form of what is said.

My view on the last issue is:

IF we can assure compatibility between addons (and this has to some kind of formal assurance for each and every addon in the pack, no server admin can check all the maybe hundred missions containing the addon to be upgraded) then i am in favour of updating addons as fast as possible. The problem is that this will produce a really big overhead for the admins. I kind of like the idea of xml or databases for addon management so that everyone can get exactly what he needs and nothing more or less, but i don't think this is realistic (or even really needed) for some reasons.:

-most mp addon server players organize their addons in modfolders, so they will need the addons duplicate, maybe in different versions (no confict, as those addons don't get loaded at the same time).

-checking every needed addon for version or if it is already somewhere on the hdd of the user is more stress than just d/l the addon pack (which you do only once after all, after that there will be only "minor" updates)

-it is a lot of work, maybe needs even special features on the webservers (packing only the missing addons into one installer in realtime before sending it to the downloading user). Someone has to implement that solution, maintain it and distribute it to all participating server admins. Anyone who is fixated on this solution should only do so if HE HIMSELF is willing to code that solution. Or else i could wish for anything from anyone (Hey, BIS, why don't release OFP3 NOW and FOR FREE for all platforms, especially mobile phones and gameboys). I really do like the idea of xml/database managed addons, but we are from that i think.

One point that is important to me and will solve lots of the things we are now arguing about is frequency of updates. I think this is the point we should be talking about now. Pro and cons. Until it is clear that there really is only one solution or that it is a matter of preferences (then we would have to weigh those).

Another thing is: the discussion started with an "everything is open to discussion" flavor, but when i read the statements of some people here they already have decided on some points and are not willing to discuss them. And don't even offer reasons/arguments for it. That is a bad start. If someone wants to stick to his position and not even argue about it he should have at least good arguments for the others WHY this topic doesn't need/should be talked about anymore. I miss that from both parties in this discussion.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nierop @ 18 May 2003,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. MP SERVER ADDON PACKS ARE ALREADY AROUND!

2. THEY FUNCTION PERFECTLY!

3. DOWNLOADING OF ADDON PACKS AS A SECTIONED DOWNLOAD WORKS ALREADY PERFECTLY!

4. ALL WE SEEK IS A STANDARDIZED ADDON PACK AGREED UPON BY A NUMBER OF SERVERS SO MAPS CAN BE EXCHANGED!<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, thats it, nothing else, just that.

Benu's post above say the same thing, but in 150 more words wink.gif

And I Agree with both.

Ok, nicely put benu.

After reading all mails again I feel that people are indeed talking about different things. And in part that is our own fault by not being clear enough. Lolsavs first mail, indeed, mentions a widely used addon-pack that is commonly accepted which might give the idea of an "Uberpack" (but was nuanciated 3 posts later by Joltan).

And also, if people were in the assumption that the idea was completely open to discussion, i am sorry about that, but the idea for ZEUS was not to get involved in very NICE, but ambitious ways of distribution or update synchronization (auto-update tools). Call it lazy or unambitious, but we just dont have the manpower and computer skills to pull of such cool project. OK, if someone offers his talent and energy to o this, sure, but we are too pratical and realistic to be tempted by such nice ideas.

So in view of these limitations that we see imposed, this discussion for ZEUS was not all the way open. The discussion I have here is NOT about whether we should have a pack at all and is NOT about the way of distribution.

I am having a discussion to inventarize MP servers that want, in pricipal, to join the initiative. I am having a discussion to get input to this idea given the restrictions of the system there is now and given the lack of available initiatives (if someone stood up and said "Hey, I got an update tool", we are all ears). I am having a discussion here to hear what addons people might want into the addon-pack, what physical form of the pack might be (e.g., "themed downloads"), etc.

Ok, I hope that clearifies the intentions and expectations of ZEUS in this discussion. I regeret any harsh words that have been said by the lack of this clearity.

Also I want to mention again, that no definitive descisions have been made regarding the, apparently, important subject of the update-frequency of the pack. To me that IS still open to discussion. I have heard intervals of 6 months (too long) to 1 month (too short). SO we can discuss this, with the restriction that it will not be realtime without availaility of a working software implementation to do this.

Just good friends <sticks out his hand for shaking>

Pimmelorus

I saddens me to see how people resort to personal attacks here...calling anybody stupid or dumb won't serve our common cause which is to keep multiplayer OFP alive.

To all of you proposing a dynamic database system for the addon distribution (which I think would be great if feasible), pls answer the follwing questions:

1. Anyone around who can program such a database including a client proggy for the players? I can't.

2. Anyone around who can write a tool that allows servers to upgrade just in time with client updates using that database? I can't.

3. Does anyone know a solution on how to make sure the server runs EXACTLY the same versions of EVERY addon as EVERY player? Since addon producing groups are not all going to update their addons at the same time it would mean that every addon that made it into the collection had to be checked by server owners EVERY day to make sure both server and  client are using the same version.

And this is my main point: For me that task is impossible to fulfill!

4. Where would this database be linked to, in other words: What and where are the download sources for the addons to which the database is connected to? Apart from some addon designers not even having a homepage I 've stumbled over too many broken links or sites that weren't online. If I hosted what's needed on my server I could at least make sure that our community would be sorted. On the other hand I don't have the means to provide all files for everybody so there would have to be at least a handful of websites offering every included addon for download.

So who is going to host those mirrors and keep them updated? Someone would have to coz' as I mentioned above, I will not accept a solution that relies entirely on the addonmaker's websites. Nor am I the one to ask the addonmakers for 100% availability of their download sources.

Of course we can link everything to ofp.info but I am sure Cervo and the others wouldn't be too happy about a 10 times increased traffic on their site.

An approach based on a central database would be a pefect solution in a perfect world, I agree. But not without a reliable infrastructure that works 24/7. And not without the means to update the server every day AUTOMATICALLY. I barely have time to play, I will not add another hour a day  to my workload to check everything for updates even if it was only the database I'd have to check!

As nobody seems to have read my post a few pages ago, I repeat: For me there is only ONE concern! I need a stable server and I need my clients in-synch with what I have on the server. That means I have to force them, at least for a certain time frame, to use what's on the server.

By giving everybody the possibility to update whenever he sees fit there is NO way that at any given time my players use the same addons as the server does.

That's why I want control over when and how and with what the addons played on my server will be updated. And that's why we have to take the momentum out of updating even though we might be out of fashion for a certain amount of time.

I realize I am partly repeating what others have already said but this topic can't be stressed enough.

And a final note to the addon makers: We love your work and what you're doing for the OFP community. We hear and accept your concerns. We want to be as up-to-date as possible.

But please be constructive as we're the ones who make sure that your addons are actually used and played.

1. Yes and no. I know what is needed to do it, but I lack the hands-on programming experience to make it work right now. Though I am learning C++ right now and if no-one else is up for it I can try my very best to get something together.

2. It would be the same tool. Why would it be separate?

3. Well, the exact details are yet to be worked out, but we could probably automate the update process if you'd want it. I.E users could select "Update these addons every Saturday" or somesuch and it would do it.

Also, servers update as often as they'd like, and then their server xml-module is updated on the center page, so a client connecting and checking will see if he lacks an addon or has an outdated version. So the players follow the servers.

4. That is also yet to be decided, we need to work out exactly how the system will work before we work out where we will 'install' it. I'm currently discussing this with my fellow OFPEC staff members to see what they will say.

And there are no addons currently in use that are unavailable.

I.E there are download links for all addons in use by servers today, that you can't argue with. Most addons (the most popular ones at any rate) are also hosted by either the addon makers or one of the larger OFP sites or both.

The system would not contain only one single link per addon, it would contain one major, and several mirror links.

The system would not require you to do any hard tasks in order to stay updated. You would start your updater.exe which would then connect to the main server, compare XML files and, depending on how you set it up, either automatically download your preselected addons or give you the option to update/download addons which are outdated/new. The same would go for clients.