Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC Ranger Path - OFP Campaign

Suggested change to NoComms and Ammos:

Problem: at the end of NoComms, the ruins to the SE of the forest to hide in contain one solitary Russian soldier. The next morning in the Ammos mission, the place is packed with tanks, BMPS, troops and ammo.

Solution: include in Ammo's intro a night sequence showing the arrival of heavy Soviet reinforcements after yesterday's incident at the comm center.

Problem: since they've been hiding overnight, no GEAR changes should be allowed from the Ammo mission's briefing book.

Problem: the Ranger team's weapons inventory may not be appropriate for attacking the ammo dump and then some more armor to the west, after the previous days fighting at the comm center.

Solution: With all that armor around, maybe there should be a few ammo crates around in the forrest when starting off. Maybe a low flying drop by C130? Ooooh! This could also be part of the intro or at the start of the mission and it would be optionally up to the player whether he has to resupply in the drop zone. In any case, the ammo crates should be crammed with AT weapons for the task at hand.

- artillery too darn deadly, first tweak made, more later if needed.

In Ammos, the last Russian officer spotted me. Boom! Right on me!

More NOW, please. sad_o.gif

I mentioned this before: if you insist on retaining the artillery, at least have the first two rounds hit far away enough and with time in between to give the player a chance to get up and run away elsewhere.

Frankly, I could do w/o the artillery in the campaign altogether. Love the mines, though! smile_o.gif Amazing how they show up out in the middle of nowhere. Is that scripted or did you just plant them so cleverly? biggrin_o.gif

I loved the Ammos mission. Lots of work. A lot of patrols. Had to seriously watch my six at one point (won't spoil it).

Finished off the mission with just myself and one more squadmate. There's no way I can play the next mission, Serpent, like this and win.

Suggestion: In the campaign, there should be an ability to request reinforcements to be added to the player's squad.

If the player is down to 3 or less team AIs, he should be able to call in an LB with 4 new squad members. There should be a scoring penalty for this.

Because some missions begin in areas that are not clear of the enemy, the player should be able to designate when and where the LB+reinforcements should land.

Serpent mission gets the following error message at the top of the screen when the intro starts and when the mission briefing book is first displayed:

'uammo1="UralReammo" createvehicle [GLB_02_uammo1X, GLB_02_uammo1Y]|#|;': Error Type Any, expected Number

Can you give me more details how Recon and Support missions would be play out, like what are the objectives etc. Any ideas are welcome, who knows I might even add a special bonus mission(s) to the campaign.

I'm no military expert, so dont really know much about what Rangers actually do, but I'd imagine that they'd get sent on recon missions ( locating enemy bases, scouting transport routes etc ) as well as support missions for other units.

You could have a mission where you have to locate targets for DeltaForce, or even just delivering vehicles or ammo for them to use ...

Theres lots of kinds of missions you could make quite easily. It just feels at times that you are a 12 man Invasion force taking on the entire Russian Army single handedly, a couple of non-combat missions would break up that repetition nicely, and should be easy to make and slip into the campaign ...

Maybe one of the military types that hang around these forums could tell us what kinds of non-combat missions Rangers are likely to take part in?

Oh, and on the Littlebirds, as Avon said I used Snypirs really cool quick insertion script, it was actually simple to set up and use, I struggled with it because of the odd terrain on Afghanistan and where I had the choppers landing. LBird insertions are very cool though. smile_o.gif

Mission Serpent won't end! crazy_o.gif

1st objective checked. Destroyed all the tanks and BMPs, killed every Spetsnaz and infantryman in the area.

I ran up and down over the area east of the airfield. I even destroyed the 2 Urals and the 2 guards prone next to them.

I've set time acceleration to 4x, kept running around to find anything other than mines.

I've run around the base, to the flag pole, the tents, the tarmac.

Nada.

Is there something special I have to do or is this a trigger bug? rock.gif

BTW, that was one hell of a counter attack! I lost 4 men because I was facing a distant BMP to the south when all of a sudden two tanks and a BMP come bearing in - no - charging in on me over the next sand dune.

One of my men took out the BMP and got a tank shell in return. I fired on that tank and it was smoke. The second tank was just coming up my ridge and was so close. I immediately reloaded the AT4 and let him have it. Amazingly only one of my squad AIs got wounded from the explosion.

Then there was this very nasty encounter with a Spetsnaz team. We met each other head on crawling over a dune. It was bloody. Three of my AIs died and I almost did when I saw a prone Spetsnaz behind his dead friend turn in my direction. One head shot to him saved my neck.

Bug: Get missing addon: bas_kiowapack message at start of Bridge mission intro. Intro doesn't play.

I have the BAS Kiowa files in the addons folder. So, I assume you forgot to declare it in the Intro's AddOns/AddOnsAuto section in mission.sqm? rock.gif

Also, if they're in use, you forgot to mention them in the README.

A request about the Serpent mission:

When you start the mission at the captured ammo/Shilka base, you can hear the motors of the not too distant Soviet armor engines humming.

Can all the engines be off until it's time for the Russians to head over for the counterattack at the airbase?

This might be applicable in other missions, too.

Hi all

WARNING SPOILER ALERT!

Some people asked about Decapitation mission tactics. I beat it my second go (first go my AT guy zapped a BMP and it was like stiring up a nest of killer bees)

Try this:

Arm all troops except SAWs with silenced Acogs your self too. Give all troops silenced pistols, give your M203 guys AT weapons. No Hand Grenades stock up on extra magazines

Only use them as a backup though

When you disembark:-

set all squad to disengage: ALL [3,6] (or the AT guys attacks BMPs even though they are told not to)

set all squad to not fire: ALL [3,2]

set all squad to stealth: ALL [7,1]

set all squad to keep low: ALL [7,7]

set all squad to stagered column: ALL [8,2]

Head direct south to the small farm drop off all but two of your squad (Radio and Medic) leave all those at the farm as set to squad to hit the dirt: ALL [7,6]

Head NW from the farm a short distance there is a steep wooded valley.

set your two man squad to hit the dirt: ALL [7,6]

set your two man squad to column: ALL [8,1]

DO NOT FIRE ON THE ENEMY YOURSELF TILL YOU SHOOT THE MAIN TARGET!

Crawl carefuly to the bottom of the wooded valley to the main valley running North watch for MINES! on the road side.

Watch for the BMP patrol routes to the valley you are now in. One goes up the valley part way the other stops at the boulders. You need to drop off your two squad members 100m south of the end of the BMP patrol that goes up the valey make sure you put each one in a bush.

Time you moves between patrols (use the watch to time the two patrols)

At first use the west side of the road but when the elbow in the road means the road is covered switch to the east side.

Move from bush to bush beside the road down the hedge row in the big valley toward the target vilage but at some point you need to let them catch a glimpse of you so that part of the guard is moved a way. Another option is to use part of your farm squad to shake them up.

If you see a patrol of infantry put weapons to their hands get in a bush a bit back from you current pos and freeze. Use tactical view and arrow keys to make sure you can no be seen. Let them go past you it is what you want.

If you see tanks start moving get in a bush go in to a freeze. Hit fast time and have a snooze let the enemy calm down.

Try to move slowly as you get closer to the enemy vilage, the AI spots fast moving soldiers more quickly.

When you get to less than 100m of the vilage at the end of the hedge row you have been crawling down move very slow try to poke only the rifle barrel and scope out of the the end bush in the hedge the ideal situation is without optics view you cant see out of the bush.

Ahead of you you will see: Three spetznaz, An officer Main Target , two more spetnaz may be just visable in the dorway of the house the others are stood next to.

You have a save left use it. (You could also use the savegame cheat.)

Practice the shot and killing the five spetnaz when you have practiced the shot FIVE times make the shot.

Head Shot the main guy.

Double or Tripple Tap body for the spetznaz. Done right takes 7 seconds

Stand Up Run to the house they were in

Get upstairs

Get up the ladder to the attic.

Hit the dirt.

Cover the ladder.

Sit in the eye of the huricane; enjoy the thrill!

Lots of tanks BMPs soldiers running around.

Wait for the enemy to calm down.

Use tactical view to look around.

Now is the time to use up your sniper rounds biggrin_o.gif

Dont Get close to the windows stay back in the gloom

Start with any tank or BMP crews that are turned out (target the gunners)

Take your time dont atract BMPs or tanks. Snipe one or two at a time then hit the dirt and make sure nobody comes up the ladder or the stairs.

If you wound guys kill the medics (Geneva convention? Hey look they are armed and willing to fire!)

Target officers and MGs

Over time Kill them all or until you can not see any from the attic. Make sure there are none near the house or in the ground floor, then move down to the first floor and finish of any others.

If there are still a lot of infantry round, slip in to one of the other houses with an attic view of them and snipe till they go away or are dead.

Time to make a break watch your flanks use tactical view but try to make it to the hedge rows without a fire fight. Crawl up them to your squad heal any injuries pick up your squad and make your way to the Extraction LZ watch out for mines and patrols.

Kind Regards walker

I agree with Avon regarding artillery.  It's far too accurate in its current implementation ... the first two rounds usually land right on my squad.  I'm no artillery expert, but aren't the first 2-3 rounds fired one at a time for adjustment purposes?

I actually like the mines, though.  They're visible, so that makes moving to target much more interesting.

There is no similar warning for artillery.

Edit...

Enemy AI also calls artillery to within about 100m of themselves in my experience.  That's awfully close, and they aren't in danger (even though 350-400m is danger close for 105mm) because of the artillery's accuracy.  With that in mind, I have a suggestion.

Make the artillery less accurate and restrict the AI to calling it on targets 300m and beyond.  This would provide incentive for the player to approach targets without being seen by using terrain / cover, gaps in patrols, etc.

Some of the missions might have to be modified, but I think it'd add a new, realistic aspect of mission planning.

i hate the ai killing mines mines suck

One thing the mines have forced me to do is to change the formation to column or staggered column while on the move.

That helps a lot.

i hate the ai killing mines mines suck

One thing the mines have forced me to do is to change the formation to column or staggered column while on the move.

That helps a lot.

yah i learned that too its just when your in a fire fight moving around a then your squad is boom boom gone

Just had one of the most amazing OFP moments with your campaign. I'm on the Mountain mission and have taken over the first base. I moved my squad out towards the second base. I was moving off of the road with a ridge between me and the road. Moving slowly I had just weaved my men past a claymore when I heard some russeling off to my right. I put my men on hold and hold fire and told them to wait for me as I checked out the sound. Moving slowly towards the sound I quickly froze...A Russian patrol was moving parallel beside us and was no more than 20m away, but moving down the road. I sat there and watched as they moved up the road and around 1.5km away the stopped and started to turn around. I moved into a nice little roll in the ground and called my men to me into a line formation. as the Russians got into 500m of my position I could hear the last of my guys slowly crawl into position. Closer, closer the Russians came. At 100m I let my guys loose. The ambush was over in 10sec. The SAWs and 203s made short work of the group and the rest of my men picked off anyone that survived the initial assault. I think I got 2 guys myself.

Wow. That's why I love this game. it is such a rush. Thank you for the great missions.

That's been the highlight of the campaign (thus far) for me, too.  I haven't seen an opportunity like that in any other missions, so it was a lot of fun.  As you said, it was over in 10-15 seconds and I don't think the enemy got a single shot off.  Violence of action.

One small but rewarding surprise I've experienced throughout this campaign is the Ranger grenadiers.  I don't know if BAS, Snake Man or someone else modified their AI, but they're using their 203s more often and they tend to drop 'em right on target.

Relying on MGs and GLs is a good thing.

Excellent campaign, Snake Man.

I don't know if BAS, Snake Man or someone else modified their AI, but they're using their 203s more often and they tend to drop 'em right on target.

This depends on the AI's SKILL setting as well as the distance to target.

If the target is way out, I've found that the AI will still launch 203s and will almost always fall short of the target.

Move in closer and, indeed, things go better. smile_o.gif

I've noticed one negative issue about these grenadiers.  When they're a good distance behind you and you're near enemies, they'll fire their 203s and often injure / kill you in the process.

Is it possible to script the AI so they consider the effects of their fire?  Maybe a wound / kill radius could be defined for grenades, and before any AI fires a grenade, the radius around their target is checked for friendlies.  If positive, have them use their rifle or pistol ... otherwise, proceed.

If more complexity / generalization was required, the AI soldier could search its inventory for weapons which have an appropriate wound / kill radius, starting with the most damage-inducing (read: powerful).

Implementing the checking of friendlies would have to be visually-based, in the way that AI soldiers currently "see" and identify things.  This way, no indirect observations are made and things are kept realistic.

Applicable to hand grenades, mortars, shotguns and more.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Chris

When the BAS Lost Island will finally be released, I'm going to make few additional missions for PMC Ranger Path using that island.

I'm open to suggestions of mission types or other ideas anyone has.

So far I have four rough mission ideas in mind, but hopefully you guys can fill in more and better ones.

Sounds great. I've got away from OFP for a bit, but I'm back now, still working through your campaign. Find the pilot is taking awhile, but I'm slowly patrolling through the area, loving the tension of being a small unit behind the lines.

As for new mission ideas, I've always wanted to create a mission along the lines of the failed Iranian hostage rescue, but from the ranger point of view. During that plan they were to take over an airport and hold it while Delta raided the embassy. My idea was to use the rangers to take an airport then set up your squad in a blocking position. Go to a cut scene showing Delta raiding a compound and getting the hostages. But to complicate things have one of the trucks being used to get everyone out break down, so a group of Delta has to stay back to make room for the rest of the hostages. Your squad would then get an update to move into their position to strengthen it while resources are being found to move the pinned down men out. The hostage compound would have to be close enough to an airport so you can move your men there and have sportatic contact with militas as the main force is being mobalized against you. I think it would be a great mission that a Ranger group would do.

Hi there!

Had Ranger Path up when it came out but was put off by that damn artillery barrages that killed me and my mates everytime, at that time could even complete the second mission, so got frustrated and dumped it.

Had a new look at rev11 and it's sweet. Came forward a good deal and like it.

So to the creators a big thank you for your work and constant improvement!

If only some more campaign creators would display this will to listen to the crowd and follow the better ones of the suggestions.

Hi there!

Had Ranger Path up when it came out but was put off by that damn artillery barrages that killed me and my mates everytime, at that time could even complete the second mission, so got frustrated and dumped it.

Had a new look at rev11 and it's sweet. Came forward a good deal and like it.

So to the creators a big thank you for your work and constant improvement!

If only some more campaign creators would display this will to listen to the crowd and follow the better ones of the suggestions.

yeah.. Snake Man owns !

Best campaign maker IMHO biggrin_o.gif

regards..

To the BAS folk, what is this error?:

What about this error:

"cannot load mission, missing addon: bas_deraJ"

Can you guys help me?.

As per the forum rules: please do not revive threads that are this old (6 months in this case). Or if you feel you need to, please check with a moderator first.

In this case, the best thing to do would be to PM or email BAS members, or even post a new thread in User Missions.

Thanks.