Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC Ranger Path - OFP Campaign

This is still looking awfully BETA

Its not only looking, it is.

Quote[/b] ]No save points ( surely a mission shouldn't be designed for cheating ).

True.

Or surely lower skill players should stick with Steal a Car?

Quote[/b] ]Mission Data - Briefing requires the player to retrieve data but victory conditions don't require the player to go anywhere near the house,

Fixed.

Quote[/b] ]Over rapid response results in the evac helo getting shot down.

Cant comment on this one other than, I think squad leader should not call extract when situation is too hot.

Quote[/b] ]Mission Snatch - Rappel sequence has wrong helo declared. Team won't exit.

Fixed.

Quote[/b] ]Random placement of General not activated, he always stands in the street in the same place.

Fixed.

Quote[/b] ]Again too many machine gunners usually shoot down your evac.

Squad leader should not... yada yada

Quote[/b] ]Mission Morning - Assault command for second unit / snipers never activated.

Fixed.

Quote[/b] ]Helo has a habit of tryibg to drop you too close to the enemy and getting shot down while evac tends to end up in the sea.

Uhm dunno what to say... Insert LZ was changed further and it does not appear to happen over ocean now. Extract LZ is still the same. Does the extract land on water or what?

Quote[/b] ]Briefing claims your in a Black Hawk when its actually the '47'.

Fixed.

Quote[/b] ]Mission POW - One of the little birds always crashes enroute.

I have played this mission few times, single and multiplayer. I have never seen littlebird to crash.

Quote[/b] ]After a chopper drops you at an LZ, it should move far away, land somewhere and shut off its engines.

I was already trying the helo waypoint get out, wait for call and get in. Works at least on the desert island test setup. Yet I'm so darn afraid to do ANY modificiations to the missions now in fear of breaking up something else (like happened with Snatch insertion etc).

Quote[/b] ]a problem with BAS AT soldiers that need their skill level bumped up in order to hit the side of a barn. Snake Man, was this adjusted?

Yes. Machine gunners at 100%, AT 75% and rest 60% skill.

Butcher mission:

I get to the south of the airstrip, taking out everyone one the way.

Go into the nearby towns and take out more non-responsive soldiers.

Hear the hum of armor. Scout around to find a BMP and a tank column not moving anywhere. Let 'em have it.

Seems like trigger problems, no? rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]True.

Or surely lower skill players should stick with Steal a Car?

Regardless of skill I shouldn't have to sit through a cross country flight and rappel every time I die. Its not an issue of difficulty its an issue of how long I spend waiting for things to happen.

And if my comments sound too negative don't take them that way. I've downloaded many campaigns only to delete them cause I thought they were rubbish. I'm sticking with this one cause I'm enjoying it and want to keep play it.

Besides this editing for myself is by way of an education for when I have the time to try something new for myself. Sadly thats looking kind of unlikely for the immediate future.

Quote[/b] ]Uhm dunno what to say... Insert LZ was changed further and it does not appear to happen over ocean now. Extract LZ is still the same. Does the extract land on water or what?

I've had it a couple of time skid off the flat, down the beach and into the water where it blew up. The problem of course is that the AI pilot is prone to be quite unpredictable if taking fire. I've seen this happen before in other missions, just this time he finds the water. With regards to this and the Littlebird problem I suspect precise hardware/graphics setup can also cause problems in the way the AI can vary slightly.

All the fixes listed above Snake, which version? I reported them cause they're not in the r5 readme. I might do better staying quiet if my version has diverged too far.

Ranger Juice mission:

I start as the pilot wiht no control over the aircraft wow_o.gif

I think this is a bug.   I'm using version 5.

In the briefing i have one teammate with default mp5.

If i fasten the harness, i am suddenly in command of another team. This is weird crazy_o.gif

I had most of the same problems as everyone else, but forced my through errors to finish the campaign.

One problem I haven't seen mentioned:

Evac Helo has behaviour not set at careless. Example; mission "decapitate", as mentioned above, this is one that has enemy activity at the extraction point. I was fortunate enough to encounter only one enemy soldier en-route to LZ. (maybe a BMP too, if that was the same mission) Anyway, After the squad had boarded and we lifted off, an enemy machine gunner started firing on the heli.

Instead of flying off to take us home and end the mission, our wonderful SOAR pilots decide to attack the machine gunner. This would all be well and fine, but in five attempts (load from savegame) at it, they never fired a single shot. They (the Chinook with my squad on board) did countless figure-8's around the enemy machine gunner's general area, untill the enemy gunner had either shot the chinook down, or killed me through the fuselage.

I had to bail from the heli (as I was onboard when I last saved) kill the machine gunner and then re-board the chinook. Of course, reboarding involves ordering a team member to disembark and then re-mount,, so it a little punishing.

This was not the only mission that this would happen in. Basically, if there was something to distract the SOAR pilots, they were only too happy to oblige.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below; a couple of minor things I would have liked be included.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aesthetically, it would be nice if you would add the camo faces to the BAS units. They come with the addon, instructions in the readme. They look much better with their kit on.

It would also be nice if you would add the script to control the goggles. You need the goggles to be down when you disembark the chinook, so you don't get that vision problem. As most of the missions start inside the heli already, you cannot access this feature untill you have disembarked.

Also, I think it would be nice if in some missions, the heli would land for a regular disembark rather then us rappeling each time. Just to mix it up a bit is all.

Bottom Line; I enjoyed the campaign, good work!

In the POW mission, something crashed. It wasn't the Chinook, because it picked us up at the EZ. I saw only one Little Bird. Could that have been a second LB? rock.gif

Mission Data - Briefing requires the player to retrieve data but victory conditions don't require the player to go anywhere near the house.

Yes, you should have to search the house until you reach a certain room to trigger objective 1 completion.

Speaking of the Data mission, am I the only one or is this just pure overkill when the Russians come in from all sides? Especially with dummy AT soldiers who don't seem to want to fire at the BMPs, leaving me to do it.

New v1.0b rev 6 is now out, download from the usual place. Check PMC Ranger Path campaign "Start" mission for the version number to make sure you're running the correct one.

Greetings to all those whom have been contributing with nice beta reports, much appreciated.

Played Snatch. No colonel found in either town nor in the fuel truck area further south.

One dead officer found in Province. One of my Ai killed him. If that's the colonel, the mission should at least have told me so, put an X on objective 1 and told me to extract.

edit: I even went up to Montigac, where I actually encountered a very nasty squad led by an officer.

Here, too, he was killed by one of my squadmates. Nothing changed as far as objectives or messages.

Maybe I should head up to Gravette and Tyrone? tounge_o.gif

Played the morning mission. All sorts of strange things happened.

First of all, on my way SW towards Morton, flighting had begun somewhere distant to the north/north-west.

During my trek to Morton and during the distant gunshot sounds, the sounds of some sort of vehicles (at least 2) being destroyed were heard - also not immediately nearby. I have no idea if they were planes/armor/vehicles and from whose side.

Reach the east boundary of Morton from the small forest to Morton's east. Called in the atack. Cleared Morton OK.

The EZ marker is at Mortons SW corner. I called in the chopper. I saw it coming but it was taking on ground fire from somewhere to the far north of Morton, nowhere near the EZ or directly near Morton itself.

Of course Mr. Pilot and Mr. Gunner couldn't leave things be. They landing up there in the North. Once I ran their way, they were dead, of course.

I got into the pilot seat and ordered my team on board. I got a NEGATIVE reponse from them all. So I waved goodbye and flew back to the camp myself.

When I got there, the two officers around the campfire didn't even say hello. I was so frustrated, I just let 'em have it! mad_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Not aimed at anyone directly (and I'm not saying it's not (if that makes sense)) but please try to make sure your comments are as constructive and supportive as possible, (to me at least) it seems there is a lack of new campaigns being made so we should try to encourage people to make them if we can smile_o.gif

"Jun 6th, 2003. v1.0b rev 5

- AI Control script removed from players team (Sieg Heil! Aryan!)."

LOL! biggrin_o.gif

I still think it should be an option in the radio menu. Just cause some dont like it doesnt mean all won't. rock.gif

finallly v6 is out. I now go back to playing. But first i have a few suggestions.

1. The units bas uses cannot be before 1994 since the m4 came out that year.( i'm not an expert on this).

It kinda seems a bit out of balance with the russians using 1985 gear. Perhaps you would consider using kegetys russian weapons.

I know this will cause problems since the fury campaign is based around 85 i think. And since you use the high dispersal ak47's. I think i saw a script for high dispersal somewhere wich could be imblementet for all weapons, but i havent been able to find it again sad_o.gif

On the missions where you start at and return to the airbase perhaps you could have som respawn and delete scripts(availiable on ofpec) for scenery. This would add scenery without to much hardware load.

These are just sugestions to changes. Which i hope you would consider. smile_o.gif

Yeah Poet, with the frequency toned down it can work very well. I just had a cool moment when I was creeping up to a ridge where I suspected there were some russians hiding when I heard one of them 'speak' to another. Very nice moment.

Also, Snake. Just played the 'Bridge' mission. Like 'Serpant' and 'Butcher' it seems ( at least in r3 ) very reluctant to end. However, before getting that far I found myself stuck on a hillock when I was spotted by a patrol, before I could deal with them reinforcements came up behind me. Then to add to the fun a group of spetz naz joined the party from another direction. I made it through alive but it was one of the most intense firefights I've had in a very long time. Not nice at the time but VERY satisfying when I had survived it.

Just finished it. Overall a very nice campaign. Rather tough in places but rewarding. I'd still say the artillary is far too deadly for my tastes but still very good work.

As last comment the final mission starts off very well but having achieved my primary objective the slog back home took a very long time without many problems. Can I suggest either reduce the distance the player has to travel or provide wheels somewhere. After such an intense campaign it seems a shame to finish it with a half hour walk.

In the NoComm mission, it's silly that all the player has to do is to walk up to the comm tower to destroy it.

The player should be outfitted with a satchel charge by default.

In any case, the first objective should be set when the com tower is actually destroyed.

Just started the Ammos mission.

1. debug hint box and bell ring sound occur at mission start.

2. Just after that, I hear the sound of nearby armor and then something crashing or being destroyed.

edit:

3. Gripe about the deadly artillery, as John just mentioned. sad_o.gif

finallly v6 is out. I now go back to playing. But first i have a few suggestions.

1. The units bas uses cannot be before 1994 since the m4 came out that year.( i'm not an expert on this).

It kinda seems a bit out of balance with the russians using 1985 gear. Perhaps you would consider using kegetys russian weapons.

I know this will cause problems since the fury campaign is based around 85 i think. And since you use the high dispersal ak47's. I think i saw a script for high dispersal somewhere wich could be imblementet for all weapons, but i havent been able to find it again sad_o.gif

On the missions where you start at and return to the airbase perhaps you could have som respawn and delete scripts(availiable on ofpec) for scenery. This would add scenery without to much hardware load.

These are just sugestions to changes. Which i hope you would consider. smile_o.gif

The weapons included in kegetys russian weapons pack arent common place russian military weapons, the assault rifles anyway, most of the russian military still use AKM(AK-47)/AK-74's.

Quote[/b] ]Data mission, am I the only one or is this just pure overkill when the Russians come in from all sides? Especially with dummy AT soldiers

Any suggestions of a good tweak... Apache CAS? less enemies? A-10 airstrike?

Quote[/b] ]If that's the colonel, the mission should at least have told me so, put an X on objective 1 and told me to extract.

Good point. Will be fixed on next version.

Quote[/b] ]I even went up to Montigac, Maybe I should head up to Gravette and Tyrone?

No.

Quote[/b] ]Of course Mr. Pilot and Mr. Gunner couldn't leave things be.

Or maybe they were Mrs? smile_o.gif

Ok I'll have a chat with them the next time I see them. (meaning edit fix of some sort).

Quote[/b] ]Not aimed at anyone directly (and I'm not saying it's not (if that makes sense)) but please try to make sure your comments are as constructive and supportive as possible, (to me at least) it seems there is a lack of new campaigns being made so we should try to encourage people to make them if we can

Hey thanks Placebo, but in fact I do like how this topic proceeds. I much rather have the feedback on my campaign(s) on blunt truth than sweet lies.

Many fixes are done to the campaign from the comments on this topic and I'll bet many more will be made. So keep it going guys, after all we all know this campaign sucks basically, I just wanted to make some sort of tribute to nice BAS units smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the artillary is far too deadly for my tastes

There will be some artillery fixes in the next version. In fact I already did some to the Command Campaign and it seems so far (crossing fingers) just OK.

Quote[/b] ]NoComm mission, it's silly that all the player has to do is to walk up to the comm tower to destroy it.

Are you saying you did not encounter a single enemy soldier from paradrop point to the comm tower or the comm tower was unguarded when you arrived after fighting off XX amount of evil enemies?

Quote[/b] ]1. debug hint box and bell ring sound occur at mission start.

What did the hint say?

Quote[/b] ]2. Just after that, I hear the sound of nearby armor and then something crashing or being destroyed.

Hmm did this come from SE from the first objective?

Quote[/b] ]Data mission, am I the only one or is this just pure overkill when the Russians come in from all sides? Especially with dummy AT soldiers

Any suggestions of a good tweak... Apache CAS? less enemies? A-10 airstrike?

Not! A10s! crazy_o.gif I'll wind up a FF casualty. :P

Apaches are neat!

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]I even went up to Montigac, Maybe I should head up to Gravette and Tyrone?

No.

I was just kidding. ;)

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Of course Mr. Pilot and Mr. Gunner couldn't leave things be.

Or maybe they were Mrs? smile_o.gif

That's some 4 o'clock shadow those ladies have! :P

Quote[/b] ]Hey thanks Placebo, but in fact I do like how this topic proceeds. I much rather have the feedback on my campaign(s) on blunt truth than sweet lies.

In other words, Placebo, please stop spamming our thread. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]the artillary is far too deadly for my tastes

There will be some artillery fixes in the next version. In fact I already did some to the Command Campaign and it seems so far (crossing fingers) just OK.

Yay!

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]NoComm mission, it's silly that all the player has to do is to walk up to the comm tower to destroy it.

Are you saying you did not encounter a single enemy soldier from paradrop point to the comm tower or the comm tower was unguarded when you arrived after fighting off XX amount of evil enemies?

Of course I encountered them. Or rather, they encountered me. biggrin_o.gif

The goal is to destroy the comm facility - make it useless for the enemy. That's why it should be blown up to achieve the objective.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]1. debug hint box and bell ring sound occur at mission start.

What did the hint say?

"Debug".

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]2. Just after that, I hear the sound of nearby armor and then something crashing or being destroyed.

Hmm did this come from SE from the first objective?

Not sure but I think it came from the west. Not sure.

after all we all know this campaign sucks basically, I just wanted to make some sort of tribute to nice BAS units smile_o.gif

I think this is a great campaign, partly because of the fantastic BAS units ( like yourself I was inspired by the Addons to make missions ) but the missions are well-made and difficult enough to keep the interest up.

Funnily, I'm somewhere past halfway on the campaign now, and havent actually taken note of any bugs. I think you can take that as a big compliment, I've been too busy playing the missions to stop and think about bugs.

The only thing I did comment on, was something that I just personally would prefer the option to disable or tone down. Though the comments were meant to be tongue-in-cheek and in humour, they werent taken that way, but thats the Internet for you. I think there are lots of OFP players out there that would enjoy the Chatter from the Players AI, but I personally prefer playing OFP without. Stick it in the Radio Menu!

There are a couple of things in this thread I'd partly agree with in terms of the campaign as a whole:

- I agree that some of the missions do get a touch repetitive, constantly raiding towns and bases. I dont think as a campaign it needs any major cutscenes or anything like that, but maybe a couple of simple vehicle-based Recon missions or Support missions might help break up that sense of monotamy.

- The Rappel script, as cool as it is, is a little over-used, I'd like to see some LittleBird insertions, or Missions that use the cool KLR bikes that ship with the Rangers...

I think this is a great campaign for slightly more experienced OFP players, as well as BAS fans, just a little more variety would spice up the package nicely.

*sniff* no good deed goes unpunished sad_o.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"Debug".

Fixed.

Quote[/b] ]The goal is to destroy the comm facility - make it useless for the enemy.

Oops now I get it. Ok will fix that in the, oh gosh, next update.

Quote[/b] ]Apaches are neat!

Added. Actually I added typo on the radio message, but again... will be fixed on next update.

Quote[/b] ]The Rappel script, as cool as it is, is a little over-used

True, I was planning (still are?) to add the upcoming BAS MH-60L Blackhawk into the missions too, so in the future hopefully the insertions have some variation.

Quote[/b] ]I'd like to see some LittleBird insertions, or Missions that use the cool KLR bikes

First of all littlebirds holds 4 guys, in this campaign the squad size is 9 men. So... I know we can split up the groups to the helos easily, I have never even considered having multi-helicopter group insertion. Does anyone know if this works at all?

Second, the bikes... yikes, I do like the bike for occational fun ride along the countryside, but I have no intention of using it in any serious combat missions. Sorry.

Quote[/b] ]maybe a couple of simple vehicle-based Recon missions or Support missions

Can you give me more details how Recon and Support missions would be play out, like what are the objectives etc. Any ideas are welcome, who knows I might even add a special bonus mission(s) to the campaign.

--- New update v1.0b rev 7 is now available at our web page, here is the

changelog

Jun 16th, 2003. v1.0b rev 7

- players units might get killed in outtro cutscene, fixed.

- helo lands at airbase shutting down its engine and waits for extract call.

- ranger snatch, if colonel is dead there will be radio + briefing update.

- debug message removed from Ammos. haha... so sad sad_o.gif

- artillery too darn deadly, first tweak made, more later if needed.

- ranger data, added extract radio reply. added enemies Muhaha!, added gunships.

- ranger pow, bait and butcher AI backups fixed.

Quote[/b] ]I'd like to see some LittleBird insertions, or Missions that use the cool KLR bikes

First of all littlebirds holds 4 guys, in this campaign the squad size is 9 men. So... I know we can split up the groups to the helos easily, I have never even considered having multi-helicopter group insertion. Does anyone know if this works at all?

Poet's mission, Hero of the Day, Available from The FAQ's MOM section, has a 3 unit LB insertion - very impressive!

He worked hard on it, had some fine tuning to do. I suggest you take a look at it and PM him on any q's and p's you might have.

Will restart Ammos with R7 later and test. Thanks.