Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

Un-official patch + upgrades

The 1.91 patch for OFP: Resistance is very likely to be the last. They might not upgrade to a higher version anymore, and while in a way that can be somewhat of a good thing.

Igor Drukov, Asmodeus, and snYpir have released a Blood pack, which in my view is incredible. A few fixes needs to be done, but otherwise it's one of the many great Operation Flashpoint improvments to date.

Many other scripts and ideas have been released, however the only downside is that these things are addons. Addons that people do not have, and addons that people dont feel like getting to play a simple mission. Same with clans, and Public Servers over the internet.

These improvments are making OFP alot better, however they cannot be used as good as an official patch can be. I say this because the majority of the people rather download patches or upgrades that fix and add more things rather than downloading an addon.

The OFPEC blood addon will likely be used in alot of future missions and Multiplayer missions.

The only problem: Some people can be picky with addons, some do not like installing them, and some do not care.

The community, or the major OFP fan sites should come together, figure out what all the good improvments in OFP are, and create an Un-Official Patch/Upgrade pack and supply it to all for everybody to get.

Including: MODs, Clans, Players, Mission Editors, and Public OFP servers.

By doing this, EVERYBODY will have all the major MAJOR improvments in OFP, without having to worry about Addons at all.

So basically, no addons will be required, BUT this Un-Official Upgrade, and thats all.

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Opinions?

I wouldn't download it. Problem is: too many people don't download things that aren't official. They are a bit overprotective of their systems (they wont download betas, etc)

Well I hate to Jump the good but several Clans and Server Owners are discussing a Comman Addon pack for their MP Servers as we speak. The Idea being if Lots of servers have the same Addons, then maps and players are interchangeable. Anyone who wants to get involved check SES forum or I'm sure a thread will appear on this board soon.

I'll download it and and I think this is one of the best ideas out there!

I agree with this idea completely.

However, do everything possible to establish guidelines, naming conventions, documentation standards, simplicity and modularity. By modularity, I mean not clumping everything into a massive PBO file.

This will require support and approval of a reputable group, OFPEC being an example.

So are we talking things like Blood addon, Kegetys sky, sound packs, rotorwash script etc. or does it include addons such as vehicles and units as well? How about islands?

In theory, this does sound like an excellent idea. But remember, BIS have Addons at Ease in the pipeline too...but I think this initiative has a LOT of potential! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ 15 May 2003,07:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In theory, this does sound like an excellent idea. But remember, BIS have Addons at Ease in the pipeline too...but I think this initiative has a LOT of potential!  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

AAE is mainly an installer for delivery. That does not conflict with the ideas of this thread. In fact, it enhances it by supporting a standards based installer and semi-official approval.

But anyway, I was going to do exactly that Avon Lady, somehow get approval from the most trusted fan sites out there, ofpec is a great example of just that.

However I also believe that it may cause problems, some people may not like specific things inside of the Upgrade.

For example lets take the ofpec blood addon:

People with less powerfull CPUs might get lag while shooting a target, and if this blood addon is inside the pack, he/she will less likely download it, causing a huge problem.

However, there is also a way to fix this problem. Only too accept fully BETA tested upgrades, and fully working, and the FINAL version for everybody to agree upon.

That is probably the only current problem situation. Not a copious problem but enough to slow the plan if it works.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpecOp9 @ 15 May 2003,07:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">However I also believe that it may cause problems, some people may not like specific things inside of the Upgrade.  

For example lets take the ofpec blood addon:

People with less powerfull CPUs might get lag while shooting a target, and if this blood addon is inside the pack, he/she will less likely download it, causing a huge problem.<span id='postcolor'>

Indeed. Forcing an addon down people's throats is a bad idea. But making it universally available so that mission makers can enable, if they so desire, such an addon for their own missions is what I was referring to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">However, there is also a way to fix this problem. Only too accept fully BETA tested upgrades, and fully working, and the FINAL version for everybody to agree upon.<span id='postcolor'>

Lag is lag and you'll just be leaving lots of players behind when dealing with addons such as the blood addon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is probably the only current problem situation. Not a copious problem but enough to slow the plan if it works.<span id='postcolor'>

I think the blood addon and possibly Hi Sky, too, are more the exceptions than the rule.

Hello

As i find the idea very interesting , i think it should not be an upgrade, by reading, i notice scripts, addons etc , but no coding upgrade or IA changes etc so you are talking more about an addon-scripts pack.

I have nothing against this idea, as there are already some addon-script pack in some places. And they are a good idea (desert pack , jungle pack , winter pack , or the famous seb nam pack by example)

As a patch involves changes (or fix) into the code , the ai and possible changes into the netcode , if such a patch came out from the community and if it is not approved by BIS, i will not download it .

The reason is about security question and possibility to break the game for some system , that is why i really think is some people want to make an unofficial patch , it should be approved by BIS

I agree sanctuary, sad thing is, some people I get to on Gamepsy Arcade dont even have the editor Upgrade addon. I dont know about you guys, but thats pathetic to me...

If anything, Kegetys/Gunslingers editor addons are a great example of what should be in this upgrade. same deal with a-lone-wolfs 100 color smoke shells. Perfect for organizing multiple teams across Public/clan servers. And even some new facepacks and those 22 glasses pack at ofp.info. Same deal with the streetlamps and the colored lights addon, and the extra markers addons. These simple things should be more respected than just addons, these simple things expand on what BIS originally created, improving and giving a larger area of editing and gameplay.

The Industrial pack is also another great example.

Also, for all the people saying:

"I would never download an un-official Upgrade"

I have to tell you,

it's no different from downloading an un-official mission or addon.

As for the NAM pack, that needs alot of work. Yea they made a terrific island, but the quality in some of those addons can be boosted so much higher, they are capable of alot more and I positive that the boys behind the NAM pack will improve those addons.

More soldiers and choppers, and trucks and all that I think would be going too far for a simple upgrade.

Just the simple stuff would be good. I'll try and get in contact with someone here who might be willing to "approve" the upgrade as if it were an upgrade from BIS itself...

I think this is a tremendous idea. One thing that could be useful to have with such a pack is a basic GUI/launcher that has a list of all of the included addons in the pack along with a checkbox beside each so that you can selectively run the game with and without the addons of your choice.

This unofficial upgrade could possibly be implemented in such a way that each addon/mod installs into its own MOD folder then the GUI with the checkboxes could work by parsing the exe shortcut with the appropriate -mod parameters.

Also, if such an upgrade was released and became widely accepted and used by the community (which I cant see any reason at all why it would not) then with future upgrades, the GUI that comes with the installer could install over the existing one and have a tab along the top that allowed you to go to an individual page for each upgrade, with the display of all addons installed with that patch, and the list of checkboxes to enable and disable as desired.

The thing is, the exe shortcut max length is only like 255 chars or so, so a gui with all of the addons checked could result in going waaaay over the 255 char limit and thus making all the addons not activate when the game loads up. I myself have already met this problem with the hundreds of quality addons that I use. Is there any way around this one, apart from installing full bunches of addons into a single mod folder?

Anyway im just thinking out loud here as to how this unofficial upgrade could possibly be put together. Im probably overlooking a lot of things but I thought I would say my bit anyway tounge.gif

BAM:

I'd love to see a coherent upgrade pack for both SP and MP, it would enhance the game no end.

I'll try and think of something...

OK guys. here is what I have so far.

Please let me know if you agree or disagree with any of the following....

AGS Insutrial Pack

- a powerplant

- an oiltank

- 2 chemical tanks

- aircraft hanger w/ animated doors

- a crane

- 2 diffrent large entarable warehouses

- complete set for constructing an oil refienery

- 3 new oil reinery objects

- 2 oil pipeline objects

Editor Upgrade (Original Cold War Crisis)

Editor Addon (All Resistance objects)

OFPEC Blood Addon

when at final version

Glasses Pack

Smoke Shell Color pack

Alphabetical sorting:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ScAquamarine

ScAzure

ScBeige

ScBlack

ScBlue

ScBlueViolet

ScBrown

ScBurlyWood

ScCadetBlue

ScChocolate

ScCoral

ScCornFlowerBlue

ScCyan

ScDarkGoldenRod

ScDarkGreen

ScDarkKhaki

ScDarkOliveGreen

ScDarkSalmon

ScDarkSeaGreen

ScDarkSlateBlue

ScDarkSlateGray

ScDarkViolet

ScDeepPink

ScDeepSkyBlue

ScDimGray

ScDodgerBlue

ScFireBrick

ScForestGreen

ScGainsboro

ScGold

ScGoldenRod

ScGray

ScGreen

ScGreenYellow

ScHoneyDew

ScHotPink

ScIndianRed

ScIvory

ScKhaki

ScLavender

ScLemonChiffon

ScLightBlue

ScLightCoral

ScLightCyan

ScLightGoldenRod

ScLightGray

ScLightSalmon

ScLightSeaGreen

ScLightSlateBlue

ScLightSteelBlue

ScLightYellow

ScLimeGreen

ScMagenta

ScMaroon

ScMediumAquamarine

ScMediumBlue

ScMediumOrchid

ScMediumPurple

ScMediumSeaGreen

ScMistyRose

ScNavajoWhite

ScNavy

ScOliveDrab

ScOrange

ScOrchid

ScPaleGreen

ScPaleTurquoise

ScPaleVioletRed

ScPapayaWhip

ScPeachPuff

ScPeru

ScPink

ScPlum

ScPurple

ScRed

ScRosyBrown

ScRoyalBlue

ScSaddleBrown

ScSalmon

ScSandyBrown

ScSeaGreen

ScSeaShell

ScSienna

ScSkyBlue

ScSlateBlue

ScSlateGray

ScSnow

ScSpringGreen

ScSteelBlue

ScTan

ScThistle

ScTomato

ScTurquoise

ScViolet

ScVioletRed

ScWheat

ScWhite

ScWhiteSmoke

ScYellow

ScYellowGreen

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Table (X11) sorting:

ScSnow

ScWhiteSmoke

ScGainsboro

ScPapayaWhip

ScPeachPuff

ScNavajoWhite

ScIvory

ScLemonChiffon

ScSeaShell

ScHoneyDew

ScAzure

ScLavender

ScMistyRose

ScWhite

ScBlack

ScDarkSlateGray

ScDimGray

ScSlateGray

ScGray

ScLightGray

ScNavy

ScCornFlowerBlue

ScDarkSlateBlue

ScSlateBlue

ScLightSlateBlue

ScMediumBlue

ScRoyalBlue

ScBlue

ScDodgerBlue

ScDeepSkyBlue

ScSkyBlue

ScSteelBlue

ScLightSteelBlue

ScLightBlue

ScPaleTurquoise

ScTurquoise

ScCyan

ScLightCyan

ScCadetBlue

ScMediumAquamarine

ScAquamarine

ScDarkGreen

ScDarkOliveGreen

ScDarkSeaGreen

ScSeaGreen

ScMediumSeaGreen

ScLightSeaGreen

ScPaleGreen

ScSpringGreen

ScGreen

ScGreenYellow

ScLimeGreen

ScYellowGreen

ScForestGreen

ScOliveDrab

ScDarkKhaki

ScKhaki

ScLightYellow

ScYellow

ScGold

ScLightGoldenRod

ScGoldenRod

ScDarkGoldenRod

ScRosyBrown

ScIndianRed

ScSaddleBrown

ScSienna

ScPeru

ScBurlyWood

ScBeige

ScWheat

ScSandyBrown

ScTan

ScChocolate

ScFireBrick

ScBrown

ScDarkSalmon

ScSalmon

ScLightSalmon

ScOrange

ScCoral

ScLightCoral

ScTomato

ScRed

ScHotPink

ScDeepPink

ScPink

ScPaleVioletRed

ScMaroon

ScVioletRed

ScMagenta

ScViolet

ScPlum

ScOrchid

ScMediumOrchid

ScDarkViolet

ScBlueViolet

ScPurple

ScMediumPurple

ScThistle

Streelamp

Blue

Red

Yellow

white

Colored Lights

Custom animations

-march animation

-Rapel animation

ETC

Animations will be a major part of this upgrade, we need lots of em wink.gif

MISC Pack by Aeonl

OBJECTS

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

- 3 Ruins :

Empty/Objects/

AEO Ruin 3|AEO Ruin 2|AEO Ruin 3

models and original textures by BIS

- 1 Watching tower

Empty/Objects/

AEO Tower

model and original textures by BIS

- 1 Mystic altar

Empty/Objects/

AEO Mystic

model and original textures by BIS

To activate fire effect, use action menu or write "this inflame true" in init field

At night, light effects may change (depends on your graphic card)

- 2 Flammable huts

Empty/Objects/

AEO Hut 1|AEO Hut 2

model by BIS, textures by SEB team (from SEBnampack2)

To activate fire effect, use action menu or write "this inflame true" in init field

At night, light effects may change (depends on your graphic card)

- 1 Rice paddy (NEW)

Empty/Objects/

AEO Rice paddy

model by Cat_shit_one_mm, retail by Bonecollector

SOUNDS

ŻŻŻŻŻŻ

- 3 Combat ambience sounds (NEW)

Trigger (F3)/Effects/Environment/

AEO combat 1|AEO combat 2|AEO combat 3 (intense)

AEO combat 2 by BIS, but unexploited until now

- 7 US sayings (NEW)

Trigger (F3)/Effects/Anonymous|Voice/

Ambush|Fire in the hole|Get a taste of this Charlie|Get those gooks|Gooks|Incoming! Everybody down|Take this Charlie

- 5 VC sayings (NEW)

dialect1|dialect2|dialect3|GI fuck you|You die GI

Thx to Ebud

- 1 FX jet fly by sound (NEW)

AEO FX - jet fly by

- 2 SFX ambience sounds (NEW)

Trigger (F3)/Effects/Trigger/

AEO US - Camp|AEO civil - Village

Now I was thinking of putting in

1. MP mission

2. SP mission

3. Chopper

4. Island

For the MP mission, a huge Battlefield 1985 MP package by A

For the SP mission, I can go to OFPEC, pick out the best mission there and put it up

For the helicopter: DKM RAH66 Comanche

And Island, I have no idea yet...

DOWNLOAD size would be around 7.87 Megs

Not bad at all...

I feel it's time to add more to this game.

Desert pack, winter pack, Jungle pack , is a = YES

But why?

Picture this:

Imagine joining a MP public or clan server.

That server is hosting a Mission that includes the Blood addon, the RAH 66 Attack helicopter, and Desert Troops and vehicles, and landing lights at an airfield, in a COMPLETELY diffrent map you have never played on before.

You join the server, mission starts, you dont need to worry about any addons because YOU downloaded the

Un-Official APPROVED upgrade version 1.0.

It's a great idea, Mission Editors can now expand on making more diverse missions (at least I can) without having to have people click on Links that bring you to a list of 66 addons required. It will work, I hope it will smile.gif

Also somebody give me a good Island, maybey 1 Desert Island, Kegs Winter Addon pack, the STT desert pack,and the Skye Map by Waterman.

OK, now that my fingers are nearly falling off I will leave this thread to what you guys gotta say. Anybody want to help with ideas, or anything I'm always visiting this thread daily, so just give me a yell.

0.02 Pounds Sterling:

Have to say I'm against this idea.

How do we know BIS wont release any more patches? Have they said so?

What about the Linux server version check error with 1.91?

As with the Addon pack, what happens when theres a new Blood pack or whatever?

This should really be part of a collected addon pack, not an unofficial update.

Just think this is the wrong way to go about adding addons.

One thing that would make this package great if you take along some highquality addons that ALL OF THE ADDONS MUST HAVE A "DEMO" MISSION! There are so many great addons being made but no fun mission that presents the addon for the player in a nice way, inspiring him/her to make more missions with the addon in it. If you cant do a mission for it, then you might consider leaving it out (if you dont have a good reason for not making an mission..)

Problem with some addons is that there are so many different onces and no standard level (except ofpecs nametag, which, sadly, some ppl ignore..). And this is what scares some ppl from getting unofficial stuff. So, you gotta have a "brand" or a seal on the package so ppl can refear to and know that when they install the package it should be of high quality and betatested, and it dont in any way mess up your original 1.91 game.

And another thing: There are so many great addons for such a pack that it would end up too large for some modem users, so maybe just release a script and minor addons pack first? Keygets editor addons, some scripts (blood pack), Smokeshell pack etc). So you can test out the idea and how its gonna end up?

brsseb

Yes I do believe BIS announced 1.91 was the last patch upgrade for OFP Resistance.

The Linux server problem, I got no idea, might be a SERVER patch, but otherwise no idea...

The new Blood addon is not completed, and either is this Upgrade. This Upgrade is in early early stages, but I will try my god damn hardest to get this thing going.

So far I have taken up on the right foot, installed all the addons, all working GREAT, and I am going to promote this thing like crazy. and I am very very serious about this guys. I had many projects that failed, it gets annoying because of my horrible attendance in my own projects.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This should really be part of a collected addon pack, not an unofficial update.

Just think this is the wrong way to go about adding addons.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it is..

An Upgrade,

An Addon collection (only the best of the best)

and an Expansion

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Poet @ 16 May 2003,11:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do we know BIS wont release any more patches?<span id='postcolor'>

Let's ask them.

BIS, will there be any more patches to OFP? I'm not refering to the server executable but to the base product.

Fishing for an answer. smile.gif

Will we see even more duplication though with the Unofficial Addon collection in the works, and this update pack?

Why not shift your dedication to helping with the addon pack?

I just dont see why we need an unofficial update pack thats really just an addon pack, when thats already in the pipeline?

lol avon lady, that will work wink.gif

Poet, it's not exactly an addon pack... very hard to explain...

Basically, it improves and adds things. Very hard to explain dude... sad.gif

Not to worry, I have a great plan I hope people can agree upon.

Yep, that says it all....

OK guys, this upgrade will be bigger than what I said.

I have Emailed OFP.info about the situation, they will host the upgrade for me if all goes well.

I may sound like an idiot for trying this to some of you, but if these great addons that everybody made come together, this will be a OFP Community made Upgrade. Well worth it.

Let the upgrading Begin.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpecOp9 @ 16 May 2003,11:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I may sound like an idiot for trying this to some of you, but if these great addons that everybody made come together, this will be a OFP Community made Upgrade.  Well worth it.<span id='postcolor'>

Which is exactly the aim of an unofficial addon pack.

I dont think you're an idiot for trying this, its just I would rather see an Unofficial Addon pack/s rather than having to deal with both.

It would cause even more headaches for AllSeeingEye users than we have already with Mod folders and each server having its own addon pack.

And what about version compatability with servers that dont want to use an unofficial upgrade patch?

Thats another reason why an addon pack would be so much simpler.

I applaud your efforts to get the community more co-ordinated, it needs it IMO.

But I cant help get the feeling that this could end up in more duplication and hassle.

Its like the 4 teams all working on AK47 addons.

Each one thinks that they can do AK47's better than the other teams, so Mission Makers and Players are left with having to decide which of the 4 to use.

And very few people will want to use all 4. sad.gif

Too many cooks ... !

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And what about version compatability with servers that dont want to use an unofficial upgrade patch?<span id='postcolor'>

Kegety's Editor Addon is a must have for anything ofp related, whether it's Mission making, Mission playing, or playing online. This is what this package will be like, or so I hope...

It's all about promotion, we just have to give it a try, and see what we come up with..