Sign in to follow this  
Charlie-SWAF-

Choppers

Could you able the option to use inverted additon of gas for choppers (as planes use)??

Longbow 2.0 has this option and a lot of people use it as planes...

thanks..

mmhhh, sorry i wrote in my typical spanglish

i will post later here the english version

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

what i think he meant was that the throttles for helos are inverted to that of planes.

example:

Planes you push forward to gain power

Helos, you pull back (towards you) to gain power

Thanks Acid, thats exactly what I meant.

My suggestion is allow in Controls Options allow choice any option to choppers (chopper's throttles working as chopper or working as planes)

Do you remember LB2, it has that option

Uhh, you pull the collective towards you to increase pitch of rotor blades, but you still push throttle forward.

It would be better to have automatic throttles for helicopters and just use the cyclic, we have that already though.

I would like a lot more realistic helicopters, with a little work and research BIS could make the most advanced helicoter sim ever, they could just make a few very good helis with partially functional cockpits and then the community could pour out all these highly realistic helicopters with ease without having to do mind boggling scripts to land properly or fast rope etc.

Hi,

I completely agree with this - in fact it's the reason I signed up for the forums: so I could post about this omission from ArmA 1.  

I fly helicopters for a living, so naturally I want to pull back on the collective to increase power/lift, as it's much closer to the feeling of pulling up as you do in a real helicopter.  The problem is that when I hop into a fixed-wing aircraft, I need to go into the control options and change my controls so that pushing forward now increases power.  It would be great to have a toggle so I could set it to automatically do this as appropriate for the aircraft.

I would think this would be rather easy to do, and very much appreciated! smile_o.gif

@Jinef - I'm not aware of any helicopters where you push throttle forward as in an airplane. All that I have flown or am aware of have twist-grip throttles on the collective lever. You twist the throttle to increase/decrease.

And you can't do away with the collective/throttle and just use the cyclic. They are quite independent of each other and both necessary. Collective is for overall lift and cyclic is for directional control.

Most helicopters effectively have automatic throttles in the form of correlators and governors. The correlator is a physical mechanism which increases throttle as you raise the collective pitch. The governor is an electronic mechanism which automatically adjusts throttle to keep the rotor RPM constant, in the green range.

Regards,

Rangoon

Maruk said the hind in ARMA2 is probably the most accurate one ever in a game, so y not make it the most realisticly handling one aswell wink_o.gif

Maruk said the hind in ARMA2 is probably the most accurate one ever in a game, so y not make it the most realisticly handling one aswell  wink_o.gif

He said the most acurate rendering , but yeah why not hope for the rest

Arma2 isnt going to be a helicoptersim like "DCS: Black Shark". Ask DCS developers if they go to implement land combat like its in OFP/ArmA. wink_o.gif

But lets hope the feeling about flying helicopters or planes is improved and AI is able to handle different aircraft in a better way.

Arma2 isnt going to be a helicoptersim like "DCS: Black Shark". Ask DCS developers if they go to implement land combat like its in OFP/ArmA. wink_o.gif

But lets hope the feeling about flying helicopters or planes is improved and AI is able to handle different aircraft in a better way.

It's not a helicopter sim, per se, true - however in some respects I've had as much or more fun flying the helicopters in ArmA as in 'real' helicopter sims.  The flight model is far from perfect, but it's at least a "tip of the hat" to a real helicopter model, which a lot of tactical shooters don't offer.  The thing that really worked well for me in ArmA was the level of immersion thanks to the context for flying them.  You have a real purpose (many purposes) for flying helicopters which are very realistic.  And one of the biggies is 'real' trees.  Even DCS doesn't have real trees.

When I'm up flying IRL, my eyes are outside the helicopter 99% of the time - so I can enjoy flying them in ArmA without the perfectly rendered cockpit.  You don't look at your instruments (unless you're flying in the clouds) in a helicopter the same way you do in airplanes.  I could probably not even draw my own helicopter's instrument panel entirely accurately by memory, but I know absolutely what it looks like outside as I fly over trees, houses, roads, shorelines, etc....  so just having a decent experience outside (the activity and the visuals) plus a good *reason* to be flying is a huge component of the helicopters in ArmA.  

That said, I would also absolutely support better rendering, more accuracy in the cockpit and instruments and certainly a better flight model.  I just mean that in some ways I have more fun flying helos in ArmA than in DCS (or Gunship, Comanche/Hokum, Longbow 2, MSFS, etc).

So back on topic, BIS - please at least include the reverse-power toggle in the controls for collective in helicopters vs power in fixed-wing so we don't have to do it manually when we go from helicopter to fixed-wing and back again.  smile_o.gif

rangoon

Next time you dig out an old thread check when the last post was made there.

You just pulled out an almost 6 (six) year old thread...

That must be a new record, definitely.  biggrin_o.gif

Cool, do I win something? smile_o.gif

So...any idea if this is already being implemented then? I mean 2003 or not, the question is still important.

Hopefully it is, just like I hope proper analogue throttle for planes is added back again like OFP.

Cool, do I win something?  smile_o.gif

So...any idea if this is already being implemented then?  I mean 2003 or not, the question is still important.

By doing that on an regular basis you might win an warning level. wink_o.gif

By doing that on an regular basis you might win an warning level.

Point taken.

I guess my heartfelt agreement with the OP is not a significant addition.  My apologies.  

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant" PM a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion.

positive points for using the search function if someone else made the same topic before :O

Yeah, if you can't dig up old threads, what's the use of the search function to find another thread?

It's a prime case of contradictory.

Can we go back now on topic, before this ends up in a violation of §18? tounge2.gif

Yeah, let's stick to §2, and stay on topic.

The vehicles in ArmA2 are a great mystery to me. I think it's reasonable not to expect much, as they said It won't be a helo/tank sim. Anyway, I just don't understad why shouldn't they implement some basic stuff that would make MBT's and helos deadlier and more enjoyable...maybe because they want to deal with things like penetration and exploding cars first? Who knows...

lol this thead is from 2003 and in the arma 2 section was there even such a section back in the day?

Well ontopic note i think the helicopter controls should also be ajusted to be able to use pedals too, or can it already do this?

Well ontopic note i think the helicopter controls should also be ajusted to be able to use pedals too, or can it already do this?

You can use pedals in ArmA 1, so safe to assume in ArmA 2.

My big hope remains that at least they add this toggle for reverse-input helicopter collective vs. fixed-wing thrust.