Sign in to follow this  
Polishdude

Ranks on sleeves and helmets.

When I create a soldier and give him his rank, example, Corporal, I want to show 2 stripes on his shirt, likethe real thing. And if the rank is lieutenant, I want it to be on his helmet. Just like, WWII, Vietnam, and present-day. I guess youforgot to put it in OFP1.

Yea, that would be a kind of nice touch if it could be done. Maybe even customizable unit patches for your shoulder. smile.gif

I really missed that in OFP. Of course if there's going to be many nations then the markings should be correct for each side.

It would be useful too. Now if the group leader (which is easy to recognise 'cause hes an offficer) dies and a soldier takes charge its quite hard to find him (if you play in cadet mode its no problem) the stripes would make it clear whos in command.

It would be nice for clans and squads if players could edit those patches for MP games! smile.gif

Ya, I really want NVA snipers to see how many stripes I have biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Polishdude @ 07 May 2003,23:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When I create a soldier and give him his rank, example, Corporal, I want to show 2 stripes on his shirt, likethe real thing. And if the rank is lieutenant, I want it to be on his helmet. Just like, WWII, Vietnam, and present-day. I guess youforgot to put it in OFP1.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah not all officers wear boony hats in combat.

I mean..... come one, experience doesnt mean you have less chance of getting shot in your head.

Heck, not that it matters in OFP, you still die of a headshot whether you wear a helmet on or not.

You guys mean to have stripes and all that for occasions and base camp mumbo jumbo. Soldiers remove stripes before going into combat. Unless you're low rank and their black on a brown sleeve.

you die in real life if you have a helmet on or not

helmets are ONLY useful against shrapnel and MAYBE a 9mm at like 200m. They do NOT stop rifle or machine gun rounds.

Only if they hit the helmet at a somewhat weird angle and bounce off. This happens so rarely however (maybe 1:10000 or even less likely) that you could ignore it.

But on the topic of Ranks and sleeves: YES! PLEASE! Something like this would be great. The custom thingie for squads would be nice as well. You could make it so that US soldiers for example can select from a number of divisional markings (like 101stAD, 29thID, 1stCAV) or that players can add their own custom small logo to be shown there instead. Just like with the squad.xml right now.

Umm, you dont put your stripes on in battle, so that the enemy cant take out the highest ranked guys first. And you NEVER salute anyone in battle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Only if they hit the helmet at a somewhat weird angle and bounce off. This happens so rarely however (maybe 1:10000 or even less likely) that you could ignore it<span id='postcolor'>

The angle that deflection occurs at is so high that if you weren't wearing a big bulky helmet the round would not have hit you anyway smile.gif

I doubt that parade ground rules would apply to the battlefield anyway, why would you want to salute officers.

(We don't salute much in the RAF, it's kind of cheesy and also it accomplishes nothing)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RaptorAce @ 09 May 2003,02:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Umm, you dont put your stripes on in battle, so that the enemy cant take out the highest ranked guys first.  And you NEVER salute anyone in battle.<span id='postcolor'>

That's what I'm tryin to say too! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ 08 May 2003,22:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It would be nice for clans and squads if players could edit those patches for MP games! smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think that's a great idea... But I would like to take it one step further, It would be good if you could make your own uniform for multiplayer use...

But I guess that it can be used badly by people, so it better be an option for the server admin...

If it don't take too much bandwith... confused.gif

as far as i know soldiers don't remove the patches of their units. so please add them at least!

and if you see soldiers on photos from iraq, some of them still have their rank insignia displayed. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ 10 May 2003,18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">as far as i know soldiers don't remove the patches of their units. so please add them at least!

and if you see soldiers on photos from iraq, some of them still have their rank insignia displayed. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's because most of the pics seen are in secured towns smile.gif

Correct.... Rank insignia is NOT worn in combat conditions. Also for unit patches, those put onto BDUs are green on black. Color versions are used on Class A's, and if you have a set of BDUs for at base (with rank insignia as well. smile.gif )

Saw something like this in a film sometime : There were some US Seals with even their national signs/flags covered with a patch which they could remove to show civilians their identitiy.

Dunno if such were used in the '70 tho.