Sign in to follow this  
Goodspeed

Ofp 2 plot - it's about evil russia (or u.s.s.r.)

This has gone way too offtopic and that's where it's going smile.gif

OFP2 = Play as US troops in South Vietnam.

OFP2 Red Hammer = Play as Soviet/North Vietnamese troops in South Vietnam/North Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia

OFP2 Resistance = Play as the French in Vietnam... or maybe as China in the Vietnam-China war of 1979...

-=Die Alive=-

2 moderators

Frankly speaking, most part of threads here must be in OFFtopic forum smile.gif I still cant find a criterion what guided you for move threads into this forum...

I feel its a bit sad that Americans wouldent buy a product with true NATO troops in apparently? (Whats this striped flag with stripes? Must be one of them goddam Russians YEE-HOO!wink.gif "1! Cease fire!"

No but seriously think about how crap a game against the VC would be. I totally unsupport it.

The magic of OFP comes from pitched battles with all the elements involved. I wouldent want to fight an enemy with no aircraft and bugger all tanks in an enviroment OFP never excelled in (forest/jungle warfare)

How about this? After CWC Guba manages to launch the nuke against a STRATEGIC target in mainland Europe in hope to promote a war in Europe from which he can only benefit.

Say the tactical nuke hits I dunno, In my missions I claim the island group is in the cluster around the edge of the black sea. Seems the most plausible to me, surrounded by water and yet the western could be possed by NATO and the eastern by Russia. Only problem is Everon and Nogova look a bit cold for there.

Anyway say it hits Rome, for good measure lets say it fries the pope. NATO who know more about Gubas real capability than the Soviets do are at Defcon 3. They decide that this would be the perfect time to launch an assault INTO the Soviet Union in responce to the nuke while the Reds were still getting their act together.

I believe this would be excellent

one) Cos it gives a brilliant battle scenario to play on

two) It is hard to tell who is the real bad guy. NATO Were the aggressors into the Soviet Union but only because of a nuke attack on a city. But that was done by a disgraced ex colonel and NOT by Moscow. But it was Moscow who gave him those weapons to start with...... the circle continues.

I think its going to be a fictional setting about, VIetnam, in Gastovski's young days as a soldier. I hope. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Polishdude @ 08 May 2003,00:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think its going to be a fictional setting about, VIetnam, in Gastovski's young days as a soldier. I hope. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That would be great if Gastovski and Guba meet. Gastovski as a young Blackop and Guba as a captain or something biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ 07 May 2003,19:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why there are so many negative comments against France? I don’t understand it.<span id='postcolor'>

Aye, French bashing is just as ignorant as any-other-country bashing, whether it's the US, China, Australia, etc., in my opinion...

(unless it's purely in jest tounge.gif )

Guest BratZ

Wow alot of american slamming ! Don't make me get outta my chair,lol

Seriously tho how you figure OFP was fictional? There was a Cold War going on with Russia and I was in the military at that time. Just alot of spying and accidents is all.

But of course the missions are fictional.I dont think anyone wants to recreate an actual war.And the winner always has a different look on how the war went anyways.

Soviets almost nuked us and we they also ,but I far from consider Soviet the bad guys

And how do you figure the americans are always the good guys? I am an american and funny I don't have that feeling at all.You saying we won Vietnam war? You american bashers should love a game about Vietnam. We are still losing that war.And again I don't think a game maker can recreate something like that in detail and not get slack from other countries.

And we all know that USMC and US Govt buys a large share of the VBS package which I am sure has a larger pricetag and prolly generated most of OFP 1's original sales.

And we are talking business and sales, so whether they make a game with the US being the badguys is highly unlikely,just may lose the govt sales.

So whats so wrong with Vietnam? I could go for some gunboat missions,choppers and the infantry fighting that happened in that war.We all know that OFP2 will also be moddable and whatever they release is just the base engine.

I wouldn't care if it started so far back as even prehistoric times. Wouldnt that settle all the arguments? I wouldnt care because I'd be flying thru with my Helldiver and my tailgunner would be wiping out the dinosaurs

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ 08 May 2003,00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Polishdude @ 08 May 2003,00wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think its going to be a fictional setting about, VIetnam, in Gastovski's young days as a soldier. I hope. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That would be great if Gastovski and Guba meet.  Gastovski as a young Blackop and Guba as a captain or something  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well remember in Resistance how we find out that Gastovski and Troska served together before against the Russians? That too. smile.gif

I can't wait for ofp2..

The huey had like 50 different weapon systems.Pt boats with bunch of weapon systems.They invented soo many weapons in that war it's going be sweet to play it.

What I think was cool about the original OFP campaign was that the "information" that the player as a U.S. soldier was fed very nicely resembled the type of BS real soldiers in a real war would be fed. No warring faction will ever tell their soldiers: "We're the bad guys, let's roll". And because of the editor, you could always make scenarios where you play the russians and where you are fed BS about how the americans are bad and so forth. Thus, when playing the game, I could easily imagine that the whole conflict was about two rival superpowers with dubious motives rattling saber, not about liberating or occupying some hickville islands. And each soldier in the game, be them from either side, was solely motivated by their own survival and the survival of their friends.

Then came the Red Hammer, which was not made by BIS. Red Hammer's plot sucked, because the russians were demonized needlessly (the game sort of took sides). Resistance also went downhill, because all russians were pictured as psychotic murderers.

So I wish, whatever conflict OFP2 will model, that the plot of OFP2 would revolve around soldiers trying to survive the fact that their leaders went insane and decided that war will be fought.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> (from the official OFP2 site) Operation Flashpoint 2 will feature three different theatres of combat set in environments across Southeast Asia, Central Europe and Africa.<span id='postcolor'>

Edit: Hopefully this means some sort of semi-dynamic campaign, playable from the side of any of the belligerents. Depending on the timeframe, the number of the participant forces could be massive  - US/French/Chinese vs. Viet Minh/NVA/VC in and around Vietnam, British vs. guerillas/Indonesians in Malaya and Borneo, NATO vs. Warsaw Pact forces in Europe and I'm not even going to get into Africa... wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ 08 May 2003,15:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> (from the official OFP2 site) Operation Flashpoint 2 will feature three different theatres of combat set in environments across Southeast Asia, Central Europe and Africa.<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

We don't need no stinkin' Russians!

smile.gif J/K - paraphrasing - J/K smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ 08 May 2003,14:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We don't need no stinkin' Russians!

smile.gif J/K - paraphrasing - J/K smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think you'll still need us "stinking Russians" because:

a) Central Europe was mentioned

b) We always supplied the toys for the OPFOR

c) No-one has ever come close to the USSR's status of the "evil empire" and "best boogieman for the Yanks ever"

Besides, Avon, you should be feeling down since Middle East wasn't mentioned. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ 08 May 2003,15:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides, Avon, you should be feeling down since Middle East wasn't mentioned. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Now that you mention it, sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ 08 May 2003,14:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ 08 May 2003,15:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides, Avon, you should be feeling down since Middle East wasn't mentioned. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Now that you mention it, sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I suppose you'll just have to mod some of the groovy sayeret matkal antics in Lebanon or against the Syrians then. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ 08 May 2003,15:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suppose you'll just have to mod some of the groovy sayeret matkal antics in Lebanon or against the Syrians then. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well in all seriousness, there's a lot of big disappointment on nothing becoming available so far from the Lost Brothers Mod and what will be released sounds like much less than was anticipated over the last year and a half or so.

Ah, love the smell of fresh forum-wars in teh morning.....

Well, no doubt will the US military be the center of the story in OFP2, and, I hope, it wont be Vietnam (nothing wrong with it, just me wanting to have a more modern portray of war).

Its impossible to make everyone happy, someone will, eventually, have to be the "bad guys" â„¢ and, for historical reasons, its normaly the russians that must play that part again and again (the Cold War ghost is still a valid factor and are still gonna affect most realistic wargames for years to come).

One solution will be to have like several short campains, (since it says that there will be diffrent real locations in teh game), so maybe a few missions as a US Vietnam soldier, then a campain of, uh, say, the russians in Afganistan and then some restistance fighting soldier at, ahh,, (damn i such in history..) [insert idea here].

For me, the actual campain quality and setting is secondary; its the engine with all its new features and modding capabilites that count. As long as the choise of campain dont on ANY WAY limit the expandability of the game (and that all the addons that was in ofp1 is still there!!!, updated of course wink.gif ), they can do a Napoleon-campain for what i care wink.gif For me, its custom coop-battles on LAN that counts.

I personally didnt have any problems with the americans being the "good guys" in ofp1, although i liked the first missions on Hammer-pack where you play as footsoldier Lukin. Much more fun (maybe because i like the AKs so much wink.gif  Got a crush on all russian hardware). Also, the Resistance pack was cool too, with brave men fightihg an invading force trying to recover peace in the region, all good stuff. The bottom line is; i had fun on all three campains and dont have too much political feelings about any of them!  ("its just a game"-frase would be great here, but i think its abit partonising smile.gif )

Im guessing that BIS is taking an "risk calculating" and picking the settings that will affect the least sale figure worldwide, and that its the WestVSEast setting that still ends up as the best candidate. An they cant make a fictive story since a fictive story based in real locations will be a bit silly....

brsseb

(and, ppl please cut down on the dirt-throwing or BIS will be so scared that they will make a UnitiedWorldArmy versus the evil XenoMorpsh From the Planet XyHHAPy, or some shit...and we dont want that do we)   tounge.gif

If I was German, I wouldn't harp too much on the French. I have read some military papers which lead me to believe that current French forces could kick the Bundeswehr's ass. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ 08 May 2003,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have read some military papers which lead me to believe that current French forces could kick the Bundeswehr's ass.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

crazy.gif Stop it! crazy.gif You're putting ideas into their heads! crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ 08 May 2003,16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ 08 May 2003,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have read some military papers which lead me to believe that current French forces could kick the Bundeswehr's ass.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

crazy.gif Stop it! crazy.gif You're putting ideas into their heads! crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If there would be a war between Germany and France, they'd win after some serious losses on both sides of course. the french never had a defence army like germany. and they have aircraft carriers and stuff. they have more combat experience. but i don't think they would start fighting us. it's france and not the US... and we have a franco-allemande brigade. so you could say we're pretty good friends. wink.gif

According to BIS there will be three theatres of operations: Vietnam, Central Europe and Africa. Most probably it will be late Nam conflict, August '68 events (think about bad guys  smile.gif ) and third option is not clear (Middle East/North Africa??).

I can't help myself to reply on some Sov's themes concerning Czechs etc..

First of all, our team has made a last campaign against americans to equal both sides of equation. Secondly, think a while about role of CCCP in the past (Hungary '56, Czechoslovakia '68, Poland....etc.). So, candidate for bad guy role is here.

I can say, some people in Czech republic do not like russkies (no wonder, see above), as well as some people do not like germans (no wonder, WWII) and other do not like americans (no wonder, they are good guys). But according to your post, you were these, who put russkies into this role (before is was done by BIS). I do not have anything against russians. I have several friends in former CCCP states, I speak fluently russian language. I think I understand their mind (it is close to my). BUT I DONT AGREE, WHAT CCCP DID IN '68 TO OUR NATION.

Finally we kicked your asses 3 : 0 on Wednesday in Finland.

tounge.gif

Well, Bobby.

I agree with some your thoughts. Like hockey, for example tounge.gif

But don't you think that those OPF scenarios contain too much antirussian meaning?

I'm already talk about it here and ready to repeat it today:

It is at least loutishness to humble nation which saved your country, your capital in WWII from nazis. About 90 000 soviet soldiers were die in fight of Chez espetially Prague. What for they died? May be for you, or may be for those ill guys who devised OFP story. It is really meanness.

I'm not against such stories, but I can't tolerate so unfair and inconceivable scenarios. Have you ever heared about rebelled troops in Russia? About mutineer Russian oficer? Yep, you didn't and you will not.

You may try to recall '68 spring, but it is can't be compare to sacrifice of our forefathers. And it is very, very intricate history moment.

BTW. I coungratulate everyone who celebrate Great Victory Day today!

Today is the 58th anniversary of victory under fascism in WWII.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ 08 May 2003,14:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ 08 May 2003,16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ 08 May 2003,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have read some military papers which lead me to believe that current French forces could kick the Bundeswehr's ass.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

crazy.gif Stop it! crazy.gif You're putting ideas into their heads! crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If there would be a war between Germany and France, they'd win after some serious losses on both sides of course. the french never had a defence army like germany. and they have aircraft carriers and stuff. they have more combat experience. but i don't think they would start fighting us. it's france and not the US... and we have a franco-allemande brigade. so you could say we're pretty good friends. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Of course,  outside the Brits,  most European militaries are third rate conscript forces which couldn't lose two battalions without folding.