Sign in to follow this  
Ballsweat

This is unacceptable

I have an Athlon XP 2500+, 2x512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR ram, a BBA Radeon 9700 Pro AIW, and an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. I've set my pagefile to 1024MB as well. My computer has all of the latest updates for all the hardware in it that I can throw at it.

I am unable to get Resistance to work with any more than 900 megs in addons and have HW T&L function. As a matter of fact, it seems the number of addons I have decreases daily. One day it will operate normally, the next I need to lose another addon or two, further limiting the maps I am able to play.

I can solve any of my problems by either limiting my addons or disabling HW T&L. If I remove addons, it works. If I add some back and disable HW T&L, I get 2fps.

Bohemia Interactive, this is unacceptable. I don't have an unreasonable number of addons. In fact, my older system with an Athlon 1600+, 2x256MB generic ram, and a GF3 Ti500 never had a single problem, no matter how many addons I threw at it. A high-powered system being beaten by a crap-box.

A patch needs to be released to address this issue. I am not the only one sharing this problem. The odd thing is that the regular OFP functions normally, despite whatever addons are there, and yet there is supposed to be some form of memory optimization for Resistance. Either these optimizations are working against you with a lot of the newer hardware out there, or they never worked at all. Take your pick.

All I can say is that I grow further disappointed with each passing day, that I am forced to patch together temporary solutions to problems on my own without having any form of formal support from Bohemia Interactive to permanently solve the issue.

I am more than willing to be a test bed for anything Bohemia Interactive offers the public, but I will not stand idly by as this otherwise excellent game's usability deteriorates into oblivion.

I believe the problem is w/ the 9700

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ 06 May 2003,23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe the problem is w/ the 9700<span id='postcolor'>

if its a problem with the 9700 why do i have the same problem when i dont have a 9700??

amd thunderbird 1300 win xp ,256 sad.gif mb memory

nvidia chipset G-force 3 64mb

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ 06 May 2003,23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe the problem is w/ the 9700<span id='postcolor'>

It is a problem that spans not only the radeon series but through all chipset manufacturers.

As a matter of interest, the latest entry in my flashpoint.rpt states the problem lies in an access violation when loading the intro:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

graphics:  Direct3D HW T&L , Device: ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 SERIES, Driver:ati2dvag.dll 6.14.1.6307

resolution:  1024x768x32

----

addons skipped, as there are too many to list

----

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004F1A65

Version 1.91

Fault address:  004F1A65 01:000F0A65 D:\Games\OPERAT~1\FLASHP~1.EXE

file:     intro

world:    intro

Prev. code bytes: 08 00 00 8D 4C 24 2C 51 55 33 FF 57 89 7C 24 38

Fault code bytes: 8B 10 50 FF 52 2C 8B F0 3B F7 75 08 8B 44 24 28

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:1072F500

ECX:000D844C EDX:7FFE0304

ESI:00003F54 EDI:00000000

CS:EIP:001B:004F1A65

SS:ESP:0023:000D8414  EBP:00007EA8

DS:0023  ES:0023  FS:0038  GS:0000

Flags:00090246

<span id='postcolor'>

Why would this be the case BIS?  Deleting the offending file solved none of my problems.  Creating an empty intro.wrp gave similar results.

I grow nearer and nearer my straining point.

as of some time i also seem to have a problem concerning a freeze period when i fire a gun it only happens when i fire my weapons (any weapon ,any addon)

any idea about that ?

256 mb of ram isn't exactly a lot, especially when you consider that XP will eat up maybe 128 of that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ 07 May 2003,00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">256 mb of ram isn't exactly a lot, especially when you consider that XP will eat up maybe 128 of that.<span id='postcolor'>

What are you talking about? I have 1 gig of ram. With my pagefile, there are two. I don't know about anyone else, but that seems to be a lot to me.

900 mb of addons is alot man use the -mod folders .....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ballsweat @ 06 May 2003,15:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ 07 May 2003,00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">256 mb of ram isn't exactly a lot, especially when you consider that XP will eat up maybe 128 of that.<span id='postcolor'>

What are you talking about?  I have 1 gig of ram.  With my pagefile, there are two.  I don't know about anyone else, but that seems to be a lot to me.<span id='postcolor'>

EDC was replying to Supergrunt, not you.

I wouldn't put the problem past the ATI 9700 card. Try throwing your old GeForce3 card in your new machine and see if it solves your problem. I bet it will.

The "gradual" increasing of your problems would seem to suggest some kind of fragmentation may be happening behind your back. Defragmenting hard disk might help you.

If your problems with the game persist, contact Codemasters technical support.

Catalyst 3.4 are expected about the 15th of may, they may help...

The following link lead to en interesting comparison of GFX 5800 ultra an d Radeon 9700 pro. the real-game testing shows how far these cards stands from benchmark dedicated.

So the blame should not only fall upon bis for lack of performance and stability, but also on the GPU manufactor, moe concerned with advertisment and benchmark announcing then reliability and treu gamers interests.

N.B. : see below, i'm the owner of one of these 9700 Radeon Pro, i was quite satisfied of it till i learned that a geforce 4 would do almost the same at half cost ! (in games of course)

http://www.presence-pc.com/articlev3.php?article=89&page=1

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ 07 May 2003,02:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">900 mb of addons is alot man use the -mod folders .....<span id='postcolor'>

what "mod" folder. I would put them in a different folder, but addons need to be in the addon folder. Besides, those are addons for two different types of map. They include all the BIS addons.

What bothers me the most is that people with lesser computers can have three times as many.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadlife @ 07 May 2003,08:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wouldn't put the problem past the ATI 9700 card. Try throwing your old GeForce3 card in your new machine and see if it solves your problem. I bet it will.<span id='postcolor'>

Then I can't play with HW T&L.  That is the primary reason I upgraded my video card.  Either way that is totally unacceptable.

While I don't have this problem, I do have a friend that did.

He has a similar system to yours.  He had 2gb of ram, a GeForce 4, and a 2.5GHz processor.

He said that no matter what he tried, it wouldn't work.

He then put all of his downloaded addons into his res\addons directory and he hasn't had any problems since.

I honestly don't know if this is an actual fix for this or if it just seemed to work for my friend, but I thought that I would pass on to you what he tried.

I hope you'll be able to resolve your issue with this information.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (phoebus @ 07 May 2003,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The following link lead to en interesting comparison of GFX 5800 ultra an d Radeon 9700 pro. the real-game testing shows how far these cards stands from benchmark dedicated.

So the blame should not only fall upon bis for lack of performance and stability, but also on the GPU manufactor, moe concerned with advertisment and benchmark announcing then reliability and treu gamers interests.

N.B. : see below, i'm the owner of one of these 9700 Radeon Pro, i was quite satisfied of it till i learned that  a geforce 4 would do almost the same at half cost ! (in games of course)

http://www.presence-pc.com/articlev3.php?article=89&page=1<span id='postcolor'>

Those tests aren't accurate real world tests. They have abosultely no quality settings on any of the tests. If they had any AA or aniso enabled when doing the test, I might believe them, but no one I know who has even a half decent card plays with anything less than 4x in either, in which case the 5800 and 9700 are close switching leads as the resolutions and quality sampling increases. Plus the fact that you need a massive heatsink for the 5800 blocking one of your PCI slots and increasing your total case temp as much as 5 degrees or more over the 9700, makes the 5800 a joke. No real gamers I know own one, and we all mock those who do buy them because of the hype on the box. Read some more reviews.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1779

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/geforce_fx-03.html

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDIx

Oh boy. Now it's not the number of addons.

I've deleted all my downloaded addons, and the same problem, with an access violation when loading the intro. What's up with that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">=====================================================================

== D:\Games\OPERAT~1\FLASHP~1.EXE

=====================================================================

Exe version: Thu Mar 20 22:14wow.gif0 2003

graphics: Direct3D HW T&L , Device: ALL-IN-WONDER 9700 SERIES, Driver:ati2dvag.dll 6.14.1.6307

resolution: 1024x768x32

Addons:

Bizon in bizon\, Su25 in su25\, 6G30 in abox\, BIS_WeaponPack in o_wp\, BMP2 in bmp2\

Kozlice in kozl\, Steyr in steyr\, AH64 in apac\, BAS_MH47185 in bas_mh47e_185\

BAS_Cargo in bas_cargo\, Vulcan in vulcan\, Hunter in hunter\, Kolo in kolo\

Mini in mini\, Trabant in trab\, G36a in g36a\, BRDM in brmd\, Ch47D in ch47\

HMMWV in humr\, LaserGuided in laserguided\, Noe in noe\, OH58 in oh58\, XMS in xms\

BIS_Resistance in o\, Flags1 in flags\, MM1 in mm-1\, Bradley in m2a2\

Mods: RES

=======================================================

Date: 05/07/03 Time: 12:28:51

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004F1A65

Version 1.91

Fault address: 004F1A65 01wow.gif00F0A65 D:\Games\OPERAT~1\FLASHP~1.EXE

file: intro

world: intro

Prev. code bytes: 08 00 00 8D 4C 24 2C 51 55 33 FF 57 89 7C 24 38

Fault code bytes: 8B 10 50 FF 52 2C 8B F0 3B F7 75 08 8B 44 24 28

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:100B9AA0

ECX:000D844C EDX:7FFE0304

ESI:00018000 EDI:00000000

CS:EIP:001B:004F1A65

SS:ESP:0023wow.gif00D8414 EBP:00030000

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:0038 GS:0000

Flags:00090246

=======================================================

<span id='postcolor'>

My head is just plain starting to hurt with this. I'm going to send my e-mail to BIS, and then I'm going to uninstall resistance and never purchase their products ever again.

Guest BratZ

I see Bas chopper still installed? I would suggest a reinstall,its possible that your intro file is corrupt

I realize you seem upset ,but just chill.Come in here with a nick like that demanding answers but yet saying its unacceptable.Darn right its unacceptable

In my years of gaming I have encountered problems like this several times.

Dynamix/Sierra released patches for Tribes 2 and left a multiplayer game unplayable several times.

And I also recently could not install BF1942's 2 patches ago,I had to wait.Did I go there with a rude nick complaining,nope

I have found that OFP runs on a variety of machines and is a coding masterpiece,altho recently has hit boundries and in process of recoding and am glad I was a part of it.

But do you realize what your saying, all those computers out there are running this game and your in here badmouthing the game.Surely a pbk error

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ballsweat @ 07 May 2003,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ 07 May 2003,02<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">900 mb of addons is alot man use the -mod folders .....<span id='postcolor'>

what "mod" folder.  I would put them in a different folder, but addons need to be in the addon folder.  Besides, those are addons for two different types of map.  They include all the BIS addons.

What bothers me the most is that people with lesser computers can have three times as many.<span id='postcolor'>

ale2999 has a good idea, you should have looked into what he was talking about. It might help.

You can make subfolders to manage your addons, and shortcuts to the game that will reference these subfolders.  For example, I have all of my desert addons in the folder \Operation Flashpoint\Desert\Addons.  To play w the desert stuff I created a shortcut to start the game, and in the properties of the shortcut I have this:

\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash -mod=res;desert

While I've never had the problem you have, I noticed I get a better frame rate when fewer addons are loaded.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Then I can't play with HW T&L. That is the primary reason I upgraded my video card. Either way that is totally unacceptable. <span id='postcolor'>

My GeForce3 supported HW T&L.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those tests aren't accurate real world tests. They have abosultely no quality settings on any of the tests. If they had any AA or aniso enabled when doing the test, I might believe them, but no one I know who has even a half decent card plays with anything less than 4x in either, in which case the 5800 and 9700 are close switching leads as the resolutions and quality sampling increases. Plus the fact that you need a massive heatsink for the 5800 blocking one of your PCI slots and increasing your total case temp as much as 5 degrees or more over the 9700, makes the 5800 a joke. No real gamers I know own one, and we all mock those who do buy them because of the hype on the box. Read some more reviews.<span id='postcolor'>

ATI cards allways score nicely in reviews. They've been scoring well in reviews for years, yet when people get them home,and they cause problems. IMO more than 2x antialiasing makes OFP look blurry. Stating that nobody plays OFP with less than 4xAA is a gross genralization.

I read the reviews for the new GeForce cards and decided to buy a Geforce4 ti4800 instead, and I'm not dissappointed with it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barcode6 @ 07 May 2003,21:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in the properties of the shortcut I have this:

\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash -mod=res;desert<span id='postcolor'>

You never need to specify "res" in the -mod parameter. "res" is always assumed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (barcode6 @ 07 May 2003,20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash -mod=res;desert<span id='postcolor'>

That's no good. I play online games using Gamespy, so the program is automatically loaded with all the addons. I can't run the game that way.

I'd like to, but it just won't work.

Besides, the game works fine when launching from Gamespy. The problem only rears its head when loading the intro. It's corrupt. Even the copy off the cd is corrupt. There is some incompatibility betweek resistance and the OFP intro. I'm still working on the problem, since BIS has yet to reply.

At least now I know it's not the addons, which narrows down the problem.

Gawd I hate this level of troubleshooting. If only I knew how the programs interacted.

Any other ideas?

Guest BratZ

It doesnt do it from Gamespy?

Have you tried adding the -nosplash to your shortcut?

C:\games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash

If corruption is the problem, Ive seen solutions of copying the cd to hd first,then install

Some cd drives read funky,may have to enable/disable dma for that cd drive and possibly trying a different cd drive all together

But with your large amounts of ram and such, could be something like write-back cache

Hard to say

It may be that damn GaySpy, get ASE and chill out a little.