Sign in to follow this  
Impavido

Carry the wounded!

I still think we should be able to drag them or something but I'm not in favor of long extractions. If I have to lay on the ground until they clear the area then wait another 5+ minutes for the chooper, then another 5+ minute ride. I might as well frag myself smile_o.gif I do like realism but again we do have to make some gameplay issues. After all being a soldier is not all about fighting. I won't play a game if I have to spend 12 hours digging defensive positions around my base smile_o.gif So already we have made gameplay consessions.

Why would you fight against a feature if you can switch it off?

You are saying more realism would be less fun.

Try it out if you do not like it switch it off.

I want game play that is different to other games and closer to reality.

I think it would be a big thing for team play!

For the incapacitated player it would be nearly the same (except he is dead in the current game version). Only difference would be he could watch his teammates starting a rescue operation or leaving him behind. Of cause it is situation/mission dependant if you can / must take care of the wounded.

There should be a penalty for the dead/ left behind and a reduced penalty for evacuated wounded/ evacuated dead.

In real scenarios soldiers guiding difficult rescue operations are often highly decorated.

BTW in real scenarios rescue operations are often targeted by secondary enemy strikes (see Iraq). Rescue operations are often easy (unmoral) targets.

IDEA:

for this Carrying thing to work as a NEED in MP i think a new script should be implemented or something like that.. (i tested 1 coma script already for ofp, its possible! tough was never finished)

imagine..a player got hit and the player turns in coma (this coma should be random and very rare) player could not move from firefight area, and he could be in risc of dieing in couple minuts by a shot/enemy execution (*) or run out of blood.

(*) AI from certain distance wouldnt shot the coma/injured player because AI "thinks" hes dead. But when AI becomes very close to coma/injured player AI can detect that player is not dead so AI will execute player with no regreats.

Then in that situation player would need to be carryed/transported to safe place for protection and/or heal

ps-carrying soldiers/players would only be possible in certain conditions. (conditions this should be analised/studied if ideia is aproved)

Well this option is not something you can simply turn off. It would require some serious codding. I'm not saying I wish for people not to be allowed to evac people. I'm saying that we have to make it worth the player's while to do so. Adding points is a good way to do it. Here is my idea for a system that you can save wounded people. We'll have heal zones. These being a Chopper, medical APC, or field hospital tent. You drag or carry, or load the wounded onto a jeep then drive them to these zones.

It's just a middle ground for what your trying to do. If we have to take the time to grab the wounded. Then fly 10 minutes to base, and then 10 minutes back to the battlefield. That takes too much time. We play these games for the tactical action part of the game. Again do you want to spend 6 hours of real time digging a trench so you can have a tactical advantage? No, we don't want to do that. So if we allow people to care for the wounded (a good idea) we must make it so it is both tactical and fun. If not we will have to fly all over the place, then wait for a doctor to be called or wait in line for hours because our wound isn't bad enough. that's not something I think anybody wants to do. If we have heal zones while not being completely realistic, it would provide a new tactical angle for the game. smile_o.gif

Your suggestion shows what I would like to see in the realism off mode:

It adds only the new drag or transport feature (can not imagine why someone would want to switch this feature off). Other ways it stays as it is: if you are shot you are either dead or woundet like you are now -the only difference: you may not have to limp to the "heal zone" as you call it (we have this in OFP now it´s ambulances and first aid tents) if you are lucky someone will help you to get there (drag or transport).

In realism on mode:

Not all dead are dead (they are all out off the game yes)

Just some of them are dead.

Some others are incapacitated -without medical attention they die slowly.

You should evacuate these units to a designated zone to minimize penalty. You could finish the mission without any evacuation but you would have a higher penalty!

Example:

Dead and left behind: -300

Incapacitated and left behind: -400

Dead and evacuated: -100

Incapacitated and evacuated: -50

I think It would work mainly in coop missions.

In games as ordinary as ctf it wouldn`t make sense.

When there are guys playing the coop,

players vs players or players vs AI, the med evac stuff is great.

What I try to say is that even in ofp we have some run`n gun missions (paintball tounge_o.gif ), and I think, that`s the way it supposed to be, but on the other hand, there are those missions, they certainly would be in ofp2 (idea for post in mp thread) where everything is as real as it`s possible, so as real as possible things such as med evac could be implemented.

well.. i only play coop.. so you know what i think about Carrying the wounded wink_o.gif

Go Team!

There was a script I saw that came with CSJ's huey addon that allowed medics to carry the incapacitated on a stretcher. However, built-in wounded carrying would be much cooler along with medevacs.

Good to see this thread still active TWO YEARS after I originally posted it. I haven't logged onto this site in soooo long because I've become so apathetic as to wether OFP2 is released or not...im becoming disillusioned banghead.gif

I hope BIS takes some of the ideas in this thread to heart.

Anyway...what about those stretchers that attach to helicopter frames?..like on MASH and as you frequently see in Vietnam footage...are those still used at all?

an option to attatch vehicles to other vehicles ( ?_mass (=<500) ? or unittype?) sounds okay, yeh... that would make scripting an MI-26 / chinook / skycrane / antonov a bit easier biggrin_o.gif .

How about toilets....soilders needing the toilet will have a shakey aim sight until they find the nearest tree. This could be at random intervals or maybe when they see water...this leads me to think of custom penis's rofl.gif

How about food and drink.....if a soilder doesn't eat or drink for a while he will not be able to run until he gets some nourishment. Maybe woods could have berry bushes or fishing rods at lakes etc.. Also, if a soilder drinks or eats too much then he would be more likely to need the toilet.

You could have seprate on screen meters showing toilet and nourishment status.

Guest Ti0n3r

I don't think "daily needs" would work. After all it's a game.

Toilets? No thanks.

Ok then, how about card games for soilders. two players can sit down and have a game of cards whilst awaiting orders or mid-battle if they so wish to do so. yay.gif

Or maybe...a personal assistant for each soilder who can tell them what is right/wrong or the best solution for a particular problem. Maybe the PA could go and do research for them and bring back facts about the situation and updates on the current progress of things. whistle.gif

Can we keep the thread discussing medics and related topics?

So feel free to open a OFP Toilet thread OFPdude.

Thanks! smile_o.gif

I t hink there could be a simple way of motivating an online team, even a non-clan or public team, to want to rescue team mates.

This is a feature I experimented with when I made some coop maps: Create a body count limit. Let's say 30. So this is sort of the maximum casualties your squad can take before the mission is declared a failure. So some simple scripts or triggers that take away from this count when a team mate dies. This adds a sudden value to the virtual life of each soldier in the team, so Medics are much more motivated and people are deterred from suicide.

I experimented with this feature a few times and a group of GameSpy pukes quickly learned to watch out for eachother. It was pretty neat.

You should indeed be able to carry team-mates. In the last CiA coop game my squad was under heavy artillery fire, and one of the players got his legs messed up. We just had to leave him as there was nothing to do. He died like a minute or so after. Carrying wounded is one feature I would really like to see in OFP 2.

I think the med-evac could work...

Since in ofp-2 and armass, we will have JIP... when the guy get med-evaced, he will just return with the next chopper (with the rest of newly connected players). Would be COOOOOL in coop.

I think the med-evac could work...

Since in ofp-2 and armass, we will have JIP... when the guy get med-evaced, he will just return with the next chopper (with the rest of newly connected players). Would be COOOOOL in coop.

I thought more about the sp.

Since the campaign is dynamic...

Well, If it`s gonna be  REAL dynamic, then the med-evac stuff in single player mode is a must.

The morale in your team could be affected by things like lost in action members or those who died because of your decision (not to call med-evac).

Think about it, occupyed country, red forces + resistance, and blue forces + resistance, who`ll win?

Those who`ll have less casualties.