Sign in to follow this  
Tamme

Discussion about usa politics

There was discussion about this at the OFP2 General forum and it was getting quite interesting but it was off-topic and I decided to move it here.

So, whats your opinion about the US (I mean politically not like: "I like the hamburgers, but its too hot in there")

this sums it up, george bush said this "i belive the french dont have a word for entrepener"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nolips71 @ 05 May 2003,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this sums it up, george bush said this "i belive the french dont have a word for entrepener"<span id='postcolor'>

What on earth did he mean by that? I don't get it. Is Bush just stupid or did he have some kind of a point there?

An entrepreneur is someone who goes out on their own, usually starting a business and assuming a lot of risk while they're at it. In other words, a trailblazer.

Bush was saying that the French aren't trailblazers.

You're missing the point FSPilot. "Entrepreneur" is a French word later adopted in English.

Well, I can see why you voted for Bush tounge.gif

I think he really is that dumb.

But, like I said in the other forum, this is a perfectly good example of democracy in action. Any jackass can become President here!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 05 May 2003,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">An entrepreneur is someone who goes out on their own, usually starting a business and assuming a lot of risk while they're at it.  In other words, a trailblazer.

Bush was saying that the French aren't trailblazers.<span id='postcolor'>

Bush appears to have his head so far up his ass that he has open his mouth to wipe wink.gif

US politics in general (And canadian to some extent) are a tale of special interest groups combined with Big Money combining to subvert what is supposed to be a representative democracy. The fact that an utter moron like Bush managed to be nominated over a far better man (John McCain) shows that money talks, not personal integrity and intelligence.

I think huge reform needs to be done to return the government to a state where it is 'by the people, of the people, and for the people' because as it sits right now it is none of those. Professional multi generational political 'families', influence brokering, and campaign finance irregularitiesmean that your vote doesnt really count. And that's a bad thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamme @ 05 May 2003,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There was discussion about this at the OFP2 General forum and it was getting quite interesting but it was off-topic and I decided to move it here.

So, whats your opinion about the US (I mean politically not like: "I like the hamburgers, but its too hot in there")<span id='postcolor'>

Which part? Texas? California? Michigan? Vermont?

I would love to be his spin doctor, i can just imagine them writing his speech

"Hey let's see if he's dumb enough to say this!"

"Great idea"

Result =

"This is not a holy war. This is a crusade." - Georgie

I think he is one of the most quotable people on earth, and if you have a good understanding of English some of the things that sound stupid create a paradox and are ironic, maybe his speech writers were trying to add a subtle level of humour. The problem is that he does his chimp face and points a lot making him look stupid, let alone the dribble about chosen people etc.

I can't believe that some of you didn't know that entrepreneur, like a lot of English has it's origins from French. It's like all the Latin influence there is on English. My favourite word comes from the Anglo Saxons, now known as the Scandinavians. Don't forget the Germanic influence, less strong but still there.

George is an idiot, we all know that, and we are constantly reminded that the rest of America isn't, but don't confirm a lot of ignorant Euro's (Like me) narrow minded view by just mirroring what George would say.

*slaps forehead*

I knew I should've learned french in high school. crazy.gif

I don't understand this unamerica shit you people post here. I'm also tired of the moderators backing them up. And when someone makes fun of another nation, some of the moderators just close the topics. mad.gif

wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ 06 May 2003,00wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't understand this unamerica shit you people post here. I'm also tired of the moderators backing them up. And when someone makes fun of another nation, some of the moderators just close the topics.  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

This is not unamercan shit.  This is discussion of problems with the current US administration. I havent seen anyone making fun of Americans. In fact, most people have said how much they like and respect the American people.

Like it or not, we are entitled to an opinion.  In fact, if you were a true patriotic American, you wouldnt have posted as you did.  The cornerstone of the US Constitution is the right to free speach, even if it in opposition to what is considered 'popular' at the time.  Of course, this is also the nation that brought the world things like HUAC, and support for petty dictators around the world.  crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nolips71 @ 05 May 2003,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this sums it up, george bush said this "i belive the french dont have a word for entrepener"<span id='postcolor'>

I think he is referring to the word 'Spoils of War' quite intelligently and covertly or should i say subtly wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ 05 May 2003,22:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't believe that some of you didn't know that entrepreneur, like a lot of English has it's origins from French. It's like all the Latin influence there is on English. My favourite word comes from the Anglo Saxons, now known as the Scandinavians. Don't forget the Germanic influence, less strong but still there.<span id='postcolor'>

I know its abit off-topic but i found some pages to those who wish to learn more about the english language and its roots.

A dictionary (French, dutch, swedish etc.)

Danish influence on the language smile.gif

French influence

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ 06 May 2003,05:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is not unamercan shit... Of course, this is also the nation that brought the world things like HUAC, and support for petty dictators around the world.<span id='postcolor'>

confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ 05 May 2003,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think huge reform needs to be done to return the government to a state where it is 'by the people, of the people, and for the people' because as it sits right now it is none of those.  Professional multi generational political 'families', influence brokering, and campaign finance irregularitiesmean that your vote doesnt really count.  And that's a bad thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Can anyone say "aristocracy". James Madison must be spinning in his grave. This is exactly the sort of thing he and Jefferson rejected when contemplating the design for this government. They invisioned an egalitarian society where any man regardless of social status or heritage could rise to the uppermost levels. Not so anymore. No you need to be a millionaire member of America's newfound corporate royalty.

I vote to change the word to "freedompeneur"! tounge.gif

wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ 05 May 2003,17wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ 06 May 2003,00wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't understand this unamerica shit you people post here. I'm also tired of the moderators backing them up. And when someone makes fun of another nation, some of the moderators just close the topics.  <!--emo&mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

This is not unamercan shit.  This is discussion of problems with the current US administration.  I havent seen anyone making fun of Americans.  In fact, most people have said how much they like and respect the American people.

Like it or not, we are entitled to an opinion.  In fact, if you were a true patriotic American, you wouldnt have posted as you did.  The cornerstone of the US Constitution is the right to free speach, even if it in opposition to what is considered 'popular' at the time.  Of course, this is also the nation that brought the world things like HUAC, and support for petty dictators around the world.  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, Im sorry Warin, but how much do you know about being american? If i'm correct, you are canadian, and no matter how much you study the american constitution, you will never see it in true action. There are limits on the 1st amendment, "free speech" dosn't allow you to go around and burn american flags and shoot at police officers trying to stop you. Some people just take the constitution too literaly, and that leads to some troubles. And most americans don't appreciate their leader being called a idiot. I'm sure if I called a foreign countries President/prime minister an idiot, I would draw some attention from that countries people. Also, the constitution is a peice of paper, and many people here don't always follow what it or it's amendments say. Just look at rascism, that was un-constitutional, but it still is around almost anywhere I can think. And Freedom of speech in my opinion is a double-edged sword. It allows the KKK and Neo-Nazis to say whatever they want no matter how wrong or fowl it is.

The only thing I can agree on about this thread is the fact that Bush isn't an Einstein, but he sure was a hell of a better choice then Gore could ever be.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ 05 May 2003,16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, Im sorry Warin, but how much do you know about being american? If i'm correct, you are canadian, and no matter how much you study the american constitution, you will never see it in true action. There are limits on the 1st amendment, "free speech" dosn't allow you to go around and burn american flags and shoot at police officers trying to stop you.<span id='postcolor'>

Uh, read Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989) The Supreme Court disagrees with you.

Texas v. Johnson

Anyone who tries to burn a flag gets burned himself. smile.gif

Did anyone see that on tv. Some mid-east guy was burin a u.s. flag and got caught in the fire. That was funny yet sad. I think George Bush is a great president, he helped other countries get liberated. Helped some countries, and now since gemany didn't help in the war, guess what germany the U.S. European HQ is moving most of its soldiers to POLAND thanks USA! smile.gif Even though war is a bad thing it gives alot of great stuff! Countries liberated, Countries saved, Countries Helped. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ 05 May 2003,18:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ 05 May 2003,16:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, Im sorry Warin, but how much do you know about being american? If i'm correct, you are canadian, and no matter how much you study the american constitution, you will never see it in true action. There are limits on the 1st amendment, "free speech" dosn't allow you to go around and burn american flags and shoot at police officers trying to stop you.<span id='postcolor'>

Uh, read Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989)  The Supreme Court disagrees with you.

Texas v. Johnson<span id='postcolor'>

You get around, I believe a similar case recently had a different ruling. It wasn't surpreme court, although it was Texas surpreme court that had a ruling, I'm no law student, I only read it in the newspaper so I have no way to verify it.

*shrugs*

Article VI of the Constitution renders any lower court opinion moot. However, the case can proceed back up the chain to the Supremes. They might decide differently next time around.

I think what you are referring to wasn't a court case, but a recently proposed Amendment to the Constitution by some right-wing Congressman. It didn't get too far though, and who really wants to open the door to the amending process right now? Do you know how messy that could get?

Very, Law is too complicated. We need some spring cleaning, make it all simple again. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sgt. Milkman @ 06 May 2003,01:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only thing I can agree on about this thread is the fact that Bush isn't an Einstein, but he sure was a hell of a better choice then Gore could ever be.<span id='postcolor'>

I have to say that I agree Gore would likely have been as much a disaster as Bush is. smile.gif My favourite epithet for the two of them during the 2000 election race was Gush and Bore. biggrin.gif

Notice I had some nice words to say about John McCain. smile.gif He might seem a little strange at times, but considering his time in the Hanoi Hilton it is understandable.

I am not at all anti-american. Someone I consider as close to me as family is an Oregonian, and I have a lot of online friends in the US. I do however think that your president is at best a bumbling fool, and at worst the most horrible thing to happen to US foreign policy in 100 years. Doesnt mean I dislike Americans, but I do however dislike the brand of jingoistic patriotism that has infected the less intelligent members of your society as of late (And no, I am not lumping you in with that group! ). And it's also infected the majority of the Executive Branch, almost embarassingly so.

BTW.. it's 'foul' not 'fowl'. biggrin.gif

People, and especially Americans are too complicated. Its the price of freedom. We drive the rest of the world nuts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ 06 May 2003,02:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">People, and especially Americans are too complicated.  Its the price of freedom.  We drive the rest of the world nuts.<span id='postcolor'>

smile.gif

I guess freedom is relative to what one is used to. I feel very free myself even if I live in a "commie state" here in Europe. My guess is that most europeans stereotype you americans as too simple rather than complicated - and you are of course totally nuts tounge.gif