Sign in to follow this  
Schoeler

I had to post this story.

I remember a story of a logger, had a tree fall on his leg, he cut his leg off with the chainsaw. He couldn't cut the tree on his leg because he ran out of gas, so I think he used the chain of his chainsaw to cut his leg.

-=Die Alive=-

Good God! I don't think I could've done it. I'd have just layed there and died hoping to be found by someone.

I've gone on a one-week singletrack mountain-bike ride in that area, the Kokopeli Trail between Grand Junction, Colorado, and Moab, Utah.

Rough country, but very beautiful. You can go for days without seeing another human being, which is why this guy couldn't rely on outside help.

I must say that what he did took guts and skill, but I think he was probably aided by the fact that after a while, he would have lost all feeling in his arm, and the damage the rock did probably aided him in severing the arm.

When I first read this story, I saw the report of it being a 200lb rock, and I was trying to figure out how a healthy adult in peak physical condition would not be able to move it. The story link you posted pegs the rock closer to 1000lbs, which is a completely different story.

Even if his arm was numb that take some serious cahones. I can barely take band-aids off a hairy arm or leg.

It reminds me of a story from one of those emergency programs,some guy who was out at see in a small boat was hauling something up in the pulleys system on the back of the boat and got his either his arm or leg caught up in the ropes and was unaable to shut the engine off before it jammed right at the top of the system and he had to hack it off with a small knife.

Lovely, that's why yuo should go hiking in pairs.

Or just sit at home and watch lifetime videos about people who go hiking and get their arms caught under boulders. crazy.gif

Anyone seen "white wolf"? biggrin.gif

Jesus I don't think I could ever do that.

I probably would of dug around my arm as best i could, or chipped away at the rock as best i could. To save the most of my arm at least.

guys dont u think he had some kind of medical skills? cutting an arm with a knife is not easy (NO I havent tried tounge.gif ). Incredible

Eso si que es tener un buen par de cojones wow.gif

sí, gigante cajones, or is it cajones gigante?  crazy.gif  confused.gif

Dosn't matter, that takes alot of will power to do. But the lesson in this is: Hike in pairs, or trios, or whatever...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ 02 May 2003,22:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I remember a story of a  logger, had a tree fall on his leg, he cut his leg off with the chainsaw. He couldn't cut the tree on his leg because he ran out of gas, so I think he used the chain of his chainsaw to cut his leg.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

It was in my grammar test tounge.gif

Man... That guy has some steel nerves. I'd probably died too waiting for someone to come, cutting my own arm of to release myself is not something what would have come into my head in such a situation. wow.gif

Its bravery for sure ,but the truth is you'll never know about that kind of thing until it actually happens to you. Wait until you are facing starvation and death and then cutting your own arm off might not seem so bad.

In fact my own grandfather cut his thumb off in WW2. He was working on a minesweeper when his hand got caught up in a chain that was plummeting to the seabed, luckily he had a knife and was able to free himself before he drowned...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IsthatyouJohnWayne @ 05 May 2003,05:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its bravery for sure ,but the truth is you'll never know about that kind of thing until it actually happens to you. Wait until you are facing starvation and death and then cutting your own arm off might not seem so bad.

In fact my own grandfather cut his thumb off in WW2. He was working on a minesweeper when his hand got caught up in a chain that was plummeting to the seabed, luckily he had a knife and was able to free himself before he drowned...<span id='postcolor'>

Your grandfather is a friggin hombre then too. Jeeze, I gues the survival instict really is as strong as they say it is.

Damn, I don't have that much will to live, I'd have just died.

All I know is that despite what he did, the first guy received a lot of flak from the Colorado backpacking/climbing community. Mostly because he was solo, and every good climber carries a SHARP knife. Plus some other detail about his excursion that was completel foolish that I can't seem to remember. I think it might have been the absence of any commo gear.

Those were a few of the thoughts that crossed my mind when I heard about this story. The guy has guts, sure, but he wouldn't have needed them if he had just used his brain. I spend a lot of time out in the woods and mountains in New Mexico, and the cardinal rule that was drilled into my head since I was an anklebiter is either bring someone with you or be damned sure that a few people know where you'll be and when you should be back. You don't need to cut off your limb with a penknife if you know that help will be there in a matter of hours.

I could not do it cut my arm, it wouldnt have cross my mind this guy must has a hell lot of pain when he cutted his arm.  sad_o.gif