Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Dod 1.0 to be released today!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ 02 May 2003,12:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wouldn't worry too much about the rocket launchers. I was playing on a server and there were all these people using Panzershrecks and Bazookas, the thing is, they weren't doing that well. They were sure enough using them against people, but I only saw about one rocket actualy kill someone. They are however quite good for making people take cover. I think after awhile the novetly will wear off and people will settle down to using weapons that can get them more kills.

I believe that since 1.0 is the retail version, they purposely left out quite a bit of realism and made things alot more user friendly. The map for example. What I hope they do in the next upgrade is add more realism touches. Once they have drawn in the crowd, gently left them up to a little more realism.<span id='postcolor'>

rocket launchers rule,its about time there was one put in cs to complement the shitty guns and totally crap machine gun gun.

Are they ggoing to be selling DoD in the shops like Cs now or did u mean something else by saying "I believe that since 1.0 is the retail version" confused.gif

it definitely is more atmospheric, and I'm glad they've really done something special with the HL engine. I'm particularly happy about the weapon models- do they look great or what? Talk about an improvement from the earliest beta. Maybe it was just because we were playing Caen, and people have that map nailed down to a fine science.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 02 May 2003,04:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Getting it at 145kb/sec with my download accelerator.

*vroooooooom*  biggrin.gif

I had a copy of it before off of a friend's mirror, gave me the error message...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Could not initialize installation.  File size expected = 181583635, size returned = 43175792<span id='postcolor'>

sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I get 3.5kb/s on average :[ guess ill wait a while before getting the new version

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ 03 May 2003,10:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are they ggoing to be selling DoD in the shops like Cs now or did u mean something else by saying  "I believe that since 1.0 is the retail version" confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

DoD will be avaliable in shops as a standalone game from May the 6th, so yes, it is retail.

but its dirt cheap.

Bah, I hate it. sad.gif I suck at it, I know, and it ruins the game for me to get owned really badly. There's always that one guy who you never see who pops up, shoots you, then leaves the area before you react. pisses me off to no end.

and what did they do to the explosion sounds? they sounded so cool before with the rubble falling and stuff, now they're just stupid.

For your sound problems, I suggest you download a new explosion sound.

There are quite a few things with DoD 1.0 I don't like, but with luck 1.1 will fix some of those problems. They have brought in some really cool technology and that is deffinetely a good thing. And the thought of DoD on the Half Life 2 engine...

and my FPS are about 9 on caen now. sad.gif

where can i find the new explosion sounds? i really loved those sounds.

I've played in 2 or 3 BFE tournaments, lost every time. but for some reason i keep getting drawn back to this game. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ 03 May 2003,02:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ 03 May 2003,10:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are they ggoing to be selling DoD in the shops like Cs now or did u mean something else by saying  "I believe that since 1.0 is the retail version" confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

DoD will be avaliable in shops as a standalone game from May the 6th, so yes, it is retail.<span id='postcolor'>

Does this mean valve have bought them out like CS or are they just giving royalties to valve for using their engine ??

If its the former i predict bad things instore for DoD confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DoD will be avaliable in shops as a standalone game from May the 6th, so yes, it is retail.<span id='postcolor'>So i wont be needing CS with this, right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpeedyDonkey @ 03 May 2003,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DoD will be avaliable in shops as a standalone game from May the 6th, so yes, it is retail.<span id='postcolor'>So i wont be needing CS with this, right?<span id='postcolor'>

you probably need Half Life

CS and DOD are both half life mods. They modified the retail half-life game to be a world war two mod, or a counter-terrorist mod. So yes, you do need retail half-life. You don't need retail CS. People that buy retail CS are suckers as it's available for free on the internet, legally too. So is DoD.

If you want to download DoD from the internet, you need either the retail version of Half Life or Counter-Strike. If you buy DoD from the shops, you don't need any other game as it is standalone. The only real point is to lure in new players and to get money from DoD fans who think it is their patriotic duty to buy the retail version.

They get two new maps too I think.

Nope, I don't think so. I'll probably download it from a server before I realise it anyway.

I want dod but dont have CS nor HL. FSPilot says you can get CS free but then i guess you need Hl witch i dont have. So the best thing would be to buy dod retail?

Although im not sure i want dod...

DOD v1 rocks, I love the way that dirt flies everywhere when grenades and bazookas go off. I use the grenades as airburst, throw em at the ground to prime them for about 2 secs, then pick it up, jump and throw it. Blows up in mid air and showers shrapnel all over. I've gotten 5 kills at once like that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ 04 May 2003,23:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want dod but dont have CS nor HL. FSPilot says you can get CS free but then i guess you need Hl witch i dont have. So the best thing would be to buy dod retail?

Although im not sure i want dod...<span id='postcolor'>

If you want my advice, buy half-life, then come home and download DOD. Yes, you're missing out on two maps, but you get a better deal because you can download a TON of other mods, including CS. Once you get bored with DOD you'll probably want to move on to another mod, which there are a LOT of.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DOD v1 rocks, I love the way that dirt flies everywhere when grenades and bazookas go off. I use the grenades as airburst, throw em at the ground to prime them for about 2 secs, then pick it up, jump and throw it. Blows up in mid air and showers shrapnel all over. I've gotten 5 kills at once like that.<span id='postcolor'>

Is it me or dot he nades take forever to explode now? Seemed like 10 seconds.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 04 May 2003,18:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ 04 May 2003,23:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want dod but dont have CS nor HL. FSPilot says you can get CS free but then i guess you need Hl witch i dont have. So the best thing would be to buy dod retail?

If you want my advice, buy half-life, then come home and download DOD.  Yes, you're missing out on two maps, but you get a better deal because you can download a TON of other mods, including CS.  Once you get bored with DOD you'll probably want to move on to another mod, which there are a LOT of.<span id='postcolor'>

Plus Half-Life is a pretty great game in and of itself, even if it's kind of dated now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ 04 May 2003,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 04 May 2003,18:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ 04 May 2003,23:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

If you want my advice, buy half-life, then come home and download DOD.  Yes, you're missing out on two maps, but you get a better deal because you can download a TON of other mods, including CS.  Once you get bored with DOD you'll probably want to move on to another mod, which there are a LOT of.<span id='postcolor'>

Plus Half-Life is a pretty great game in and of itself, even if it's kind of dated now.<span id='postcolor'>

probably but im not that much for shooting aliens and stuff. Speaking of HL, i stumbled across some pics from HL2 and they look great

image 1

image2

image3

image 4

Image5 (imagine this kind of water in ofp2 ... but i doubt it works for larger areas)

Half-life is more than just shooting aliens. It's a mix between quake and myst. You have to figure out confusing puzzles and use your head... while shooting aliens. smile.gif

HL rocks, am patching and playing today!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 05 May 2003,04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Half-life is more than just shooting aliens.  It's a mix between quake and myst.  You have to figure out confusing puzzles and use your head... while shooting aliens. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

And don't forget the evil American Spec Ops intent on killing you wink.gif

About the two maps missing from the download version of DoD 1.0, you can get them online. Supposedly they were going to put them in the release but something came up at the last minute or something... So hunt around and ye shall find the missing maps.

I have Half Life since some years , it was awesome when it came out , one of the more enjoyable single player experience i had

Oh yes, now there are single player games with better AI out there, better graphics, better animations , but sometime i launch it again and i have some fun wink.gif

I have no fun with online mods a la counter strike or day of defeat etc... SP all the way for me wink.gif

But beyond Half Life , i suggest every people that like single player game to stay to the version 1.1.0.8 (as the following mods have big problems with the last patches) of this game and download the following mods

-They Hunger 3 (an horror SP experience that i think is even longer than HL)

-USS Darkstar (SP space adventure by the same author of They Hunger , nothing more to say : mark of quality)

-Poke646 (a great SP too you are a scientist lost in town)

-Azure Sheep (be Barney in this SP experience, better and longer than the Blue Shift game from sierra)

-Rebellion (you are again Gordon Freeman , one of the longest SP mod i played for HL , lots of good idea)

I think those are the cream of the SP mods for HL , they will give you some entertainment for a long time wink.gif

NB: Rebellion used to not work in 1.1.08 and higher , but there is a way :

In this link to the Rebellion forum

Websites

Rebellion

AzureSheep

Poke646

They Hunger/Darkstar

Have fun

Half Life's AI was revolutionary at the time. I remember that I was shocked and pissed off the first time they flanked me and pinned me down with grenades.

HL is a game that I like, especially those mods that are coming out. And the best thing is, you don't need a 1 GHZ system to make the graphics pretty, I actually stopped playing DoD3.1, not because I suck, but because of my high latency (average=200). sad.gif

I like DoD, even better then firearms. smile.gif