Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Dod 1.0 to be released today!

Wargasm biggrin.gif Nice one

I'm a frequent DOD player, and I for one cannot wait to try the British units. Hell, if I'm motivated enough, I'll probobly create Canadian soldier skins too.

Can't wait.

yeah I stole that from the daily show tounge.gif

my second favorite show.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 02 May 2003,00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah I stole that from the daily show tounge.gif

my second favorite show.<span id='postcolor'>

Anyone remember the game Wargasm? Actually you might even be able to consider it a _very_ early precursor to OFP

it was made by the historical company called DiD

going back to the original topic, apparently someone leaked it early and it has been delayed...might explain why i cant find it anywhere confused.gif

Argh all the mirrors are full sad.gif

Cant wait, i love DOD, its THE best WW2 FPS out there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ 01 May 2003,23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 02 May 2003,00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah I stole that from the daily show tounge.gif

my second favorite show.<span id='postcolor'>

Anyone remember the game Wargasm? Actually you might even be able to consider it a _very_ early precursor to OFP<span id='postcolor'>

Wargasm was great, I still play it on a LAN sometimes. It started out as a serious tank sim, but due to budget/publisher constrainsts, they changed it to a arcadish game.

Check out the tank physics though, they are spot on. The Army used a version of it as a recruiment tool.

Plus the music was great. Can't beat Wagner!

Oh yeah, it was a game too. I just remembered it from the daily show.

I have been waiting for this version of DoD, previously known as DoD 4.0 to come out since last October so today is an important day. Of course there was a delay, by the sounds of things, there is always a 'delay of defeat'. I wish DoD was more realistic, but it is close enough. I think they probably purposely didn't make the guns more realistic because they are going retail, they don't want to scare off anyone because the game is too realistic. But they got rid of jump shooting which is good. I can't get into the forums so I assume there is lots of people there. I'll be on the lookout for a mirror. I hope Ausgamers get a mirror up soon, they don't tend to have waiting lines, and since I'm in Australia, I get speeds of around 500kb a sexond with cable.

I can't even get the page to load! Must be very very busy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 02 May 2003,10:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't even get the page to load!  Must be very very busy.<span id='postcolor'>

I can get www.dayofdefeat.com to load, but it doesn't have the mirrors up for 1.0 yet. I did see some mirrors for 1.0 though. go to www.dod.co.nz for links, but I think they are from German based servers, so I am going to wait until a mirror closer to home is set up so I'm not waiting all day for it. I hope Sturmbot for 1.0 comes out soon. Waldo (one of the developers of DoD) said they were given 1.0 early so they could start working on it before release so hopefully it can't be too far off.

Great mirror site

*sniff*

None seem to be working. sad.gif

If I could just unleash my download accelerator I could have it in an hour, max.

I have it.

As I hoped, Ausgamers put up a mirror and I was able to download it at 300kb a second. I installed it and went for a joyride  on my own private lan server just to check out the new stuff. The British are good, the Lee Enfield was good (if it hadn't been, I would have been most displeased). The new particle effects are great. Shoot a tank and see sparks fly off. Shot a wall and chunks of brick fall to the ground (then dissapear). I do hope OFP2 has a system like this, shooting a tank in OFP and seeing a puff of dirt is not the greatest.

Its all lovely!

*Edit* The Kar 98 is not so super any more. It is still one shot kill with super accuracy, but it has a slower bolt, and while you work the bolt, you lose the crosshair so you can aim as well while you are realoading.

Cant wait to try out the new stuff at out at my local LAN centre, I introduced the guys there to it as a happy medium between the two most popular games there, BF1942 and Counter Strike, so everybodies happy, and with this release, me too biggrin.gif

Getting it at 145kb/sec with my download accelerator.

*vroooooooom* biggrin.gif

I had a copy of it before off of a friend's mirror, gave me the error message...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Could not initialize installation. File size expected = 181583635, size returned = 43175792<span id='postcolor'>

sad.gif

Ok, I installed another one and it worked. I'm very disappointed in dod 1.0. They screwed with it too much, worst of all they gave people bazookas (bad bad BAD idea)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 02 May 2003,07:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok, I installed another one and it worked.  I'm very disappointed in dod 1.0.  They screwed with it too much, worst of all they gave people bazookas (bad bad BAD idea)<span id='postcolor'>

there used to blow open gaps in the walls, there not AP, also splash damage is minimal, you can jump shoot with it, you cant fire on the run you have to bring it up to shoulder to fire which makes you hellava slow, its not bad.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rocket launchers. I was playing on a server and there were all these people using Panzershrecks and Bazookas, the thing is, they weren't doing that well. They were sure enough using them against people, but I only saw about one rocket actualy kill someone. They are however quite good for making people take cover. I think after awhile the novetly will wear off and people will settle down to using weapons that can get them more kills.

I believe that since 1.0 is the retail version, they purposely left out quite a bit of realism and made things alot more user friendly. The map for example. What I hope they do in the next upgrade is add more realism touches. Once they have drawn in the crowd, gently left them up to a little more realism.

Must be uselful against snipers though.

it allows you to blow holes in the walls of known sniper nests and some mg nests smile.gif

Wait, you can blow holes in ALL the walls or just pre-determined spots, like TNT spots? That would change my opinion definately.

hmpf. Death seems to follow me around in 1.0 like a fog. I don't know what changed, but suddenly I suck big time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ 02 May 2003,07:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">worst of all they gave people bazookas (bad bad BAD idea)<span id='postcolor'>

These are pretty much useless against Infantry units.

Their only good use is to blow up pre-determined walls, and in some missions they're essential for the mission objective.. like blowing up tanks.. smile.gif

This version of DoD gives the game a WHOLE NEW atmosphere. I can't believe it's the same game.

TIP: Play dod_charlie on a 32 player server.. you're in for one heck of a fight. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ 03 May 2003,09:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmpf. Death seems to follow me around in 1.0 like a fog. I don't know what changed, but suddenly I suck big time.<span id='postcolor'>

I suffered from quite the reverse, I was playing on Kalt and I was the highest scoring player at the end, that is rear for me. I think it had to do with all the adreniline pumping through me. DoD 1.0 just has so much atmosphere over 3.1. Probably has something to do with 16bit sound, the fact that I can now use EAX and the particle system.