Sign in to follow this  
horrido

Urban combat

OFP is very limited in this area due to the inability of the AI to behave properly in buildings, bunkers etc...

Also, the collision detection inside building is very bugged, and needs a lot of improvements.

MOHAA or BF 1942 is a good example of how it should be in OFP2.

Better than the ability to destroy building and having them crumble, I would prefer static building not showing dammage (it looks ridiculous as it is now in OFP) but where it is no longer possible to walk through the walls and even sometime get stuck in a building.

I know that OFP is more a simulator for combat outdoors than indoors, but even outdoors, there are problems with the building (MG position, bunkers, etc...)

-Horrido

i never got resistance or flashpoint for the urban combat i wanted the wide open forests and grass land ,air feilds ,mountans and so on

It would be really nice, if urban fighting would be much more realistic. With ricocheting bullets, destroyable houses with a good hitmap... (if I hit a section of the wall, then a hole remains after the smoke...)

Dark interriors if the sun not glowing in... (nice places for snipers, and defensive soldiers)

etc. fighting in built-up areas is one of the hardest things in a battle or war. It would be a shame, if BIS leaves out this again...

CU.

Ahh i used to love piling LSDs on top each other and being inside and running down corridors as they bounced 300 ft in the air!

Yes Fibua(r?)s would be great, and better urban fighting around real looking towns would be good too, rather than the current hamlets that occupy the OFP world, I know the idea of cities was introduced in resi, but I feel the idea didnt work quite as well... maybe this is due to the building crumbling, lack of timed nades and poor implementation of support weapons.

The most important thing is fix the walk through object problem crazy.gif

It would be really nice, if urban fighting would be much more realistic. With ricocheting bullets, destroyable houses with a good hitmap... (if I hit a section of the wall, then a hole remains after the smoke...)

Dark interriors if the sun not glowing in... (nice places for snipers, and defensive soldiers)

etc. fighting in built-up areas is one of the hardest things in a battle or war. It would be a shame, if BIS leaves out this again...

CU.

biggrin_o.gif That's a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin_o.gif

This is the best game i have ever played ,but the only thing that really pisses me off is clipping!!! in OFP we get caught in buildings far too easily...And in big ships or buildings its even worse,plz plz BIS...do something about it,i've been trying to make some boat missions (with new CoC torpedoes) but im at the point of giving up cos half the time i drown on that bloody LSD

This is allways the bit that is left out in most games like OFP, the conversion from outdoor fighting - large open spaces, to indoor fighing - small rooms and corridors.

To make urban combat more realistic, and possible in OFP, the AI would need re-working, so it could effectively use bunkers, buildings, and low walls for cover, and so that it could navigate around the buildings, without getting stuck. Also, the collision detection would need looking at, as currently in OFP its not that great. Its like Ghost Recon - that has a perfect transition between combat inside and out. However its landscapes are much more limited than OFP, if BIS could pull something off like that, it would be perfect.

However, when looking at a game like OFP, it has broken the boundaries for combat in an open landscape, which i think is great. But if BIS could refine the urban combat side of the game it would be so much better!

One more thing that would be really useful in urban combat is a new set of animations, the ones that are in OFP1 take far to much space sideways because you are going so low, that low profile is useful on the open battlefield, but when you are in CQB there shoud be a way to change the animations, a button (like F, when you walk in OFP1) and there should be more uppright animations...

And ofcourse there should be things like peaking corners and that stuff...

And then they just have to do a AI that can handle it... wink_o.gif

Its like Ghost Recon - that has a perfect transition between combat inside and out. However its landscapes are much more limited than OFP, if BIS could pull something off like that, it would be perfect.

Damn I was about to say the same thing, that's what I like about GR is that the CQB is really good, but the big drawback to GR that OFP has beaten is the backgrounds are painted, and that really sucks, however to make an Island with the kind of Urban Models GR has would be SOOOOO huge and Lag Rediculusly I suspect (on My Machine even Solitare Lags, I'm not kidding either tounge_o.gif ) so that would be unplayable, BIS just needs to figure out how to use Textures to creat the Illusion of Depth, but then User Made Islands would be a real Pain sad_o.gif

I think the cqb thing would be very hard to implement, can you guys imagine a 12 (or larger wink_o.gif ) unit squad that can be efective in both jungle, open terrain and indoors crazy_o.gif , all the new action commands like breach door, flashbang, and the new formations that would be necessary to achieve this?

And they are using an "updated" version of the engine, im not expecting much swat stuff in vietnam, africa nor europe smile_o.gif .

vietnam? hmmmm tunnels....and bunkers, so i guess a little cqb training would come in handy for the grunts.

(a great what if just popped into my head.... what if we had the SWAT3 command interface for cqb in OFP)

Anyway solving the clipping and making better roadpaths in and around buildings with a little more IQ for the AI on that part would be good enough for me.

TopCover.

BTW it think i finally reached my 100th post  smile_o.gif

Indeed, my only real complaint with the current OFP engine is the clipping... or lack of it...

Been playing MP recently, and I practically ran clean through a house. Thought to myself - must have been the lag, so I went to the editor to test... to my dissapointment, I ran clean through it again...

BIS - Please for the love of GOD sort the clipping, I beg of you

(with the clipping sorted in OFP1 it would be my altime favourite, and bestest game ever - long story)

The current aiming system isn't very good for combat inside a building.

I do love the aiming system, being able to aim your gun without moving your whole person. But if they are to make combat inside more frequent maby they should make a toggle from the current open field aiming, and the old-school style system for indoors (the usual system, like in half-life, and mohaa).

The current aiming system isn't very good for combat inside a building.

I do love the aiming system, being able to aim your gun without moving your whole person. But if they are to make combat inside more frequent maby they should make a toggle from the current open field aiming, and the old-school style system for indoors (the usual system, like in half-life, and mohaa).

That system allready exists.

Press the '*' button on your number pad to switch between free look, and weapon aim. I dunno about you, but in OFP my body allways follows my gun...

he's talking about convention FPS style 'xhair locked to centre of screen' aiming.

Naa, hes talking that if you move your gun just a little bit yer arms and torso will move but not the whole body, and talkin bout nam and tunnels will bis be able to create vc tunnels in OPF2 rock.gif , will it work with the updated flashpoint engine? With all the cliping problems inside houses and all...it sounds too good to be true.