Sign in to follow this  

Scripting

silentwolf@ @ ,)]Maybe it would be usefull to include a wizard to make a script,simply just answer some quisten what type of script you want,what it has to do,and that the wizard creates it then.Would be handy for noob scripters like me.

biggrin_o.gif Umm yeah, that's like a programmers (or scripters) dream come true.

Don't bet any money on the first one of these coming in a war sim. smile_o.gif

I can use _x as a float value, then later in the script as an object.  How's the editor going to know the difference.  That's what I'm referring to.  We would have to have variable declerations. Or a full interpreter for things like createVehicle, createUnit and all other function that return a type of variable, so that an editor knows what it's dealing with.

The only type I can think of that would need this autocompletion would be vehicles, and most of those tend to be placed with the mission editor, and you can easily use the names assigned to them there... With createvehicle it is indeed troublematic, but maybe the whole createVehicle/deleteVehicle thing could be changed into something easier to use. For example, maybe there could be a group editor, where you can place invisible groups in the mission editor like regular units, but they wouldnt be placed anywhere until you place the group somewhere with a scripting command...

Well ok, if auto-completion is not necessary I don't see why it can't be made more object oriented. As for getting rid of createVeh etc. I don't think it's really a good idea as people like to create and get rid of a lot of stuff on the fly, to save memory. I'm talking about scripts that do that so...

But yes I agree OFP needs to have some larger force management, like I attempted with EnemyStack, currently OFP just freezes up with lots of AI, but maybe it could be managed better using suggestions like yours.

i would like all units and vehicles to allow a "setexture" in their init field or similar way. and possibly even the map itself

These setextures would include Winter, sand, temperate cammo, have BIS pre installed textures and easily adapted jpeg files that could be incorporated into the pbo file, in much the same way as you can do for flags

This would then mean you could have the same landscape with different season coverings.

Any addon vehicles that were made would simply have a setexture command in their init field

So one new addon vehicle could instantly be incorporated into any climate type without the need for multiple addons for that one vehicle

wouldnt it be nice to have pre game options like

Winter

Summer

Desert

Jungle

and all could be activated by something like

?(param1 == 1):setglobaltexture "DESERT"

?(param1 == 2):setglobaltexture "ARCTIC"

?(param1 == 3):setglobaltexture "JUNGLE"

setunitexture

setgrouptexture

setobjectexture  for the likes of buildings etc

It would also be nice to enable some form of rating value, which for any vehicle could be set in the init field. something like

pilotrating=>5

and any player who had a lower rating which was given somehow by some form of award system (Multiplayer) simply couldnt fly it

This could be used for any vehicle, weapon etc

So in other words, a veteran player could fly the transport choppers, whereas a noob would have to be a passnger

It would also be nice to enable some  form of rating value, which for any vehicle could be set in the init field.  something like

pilotrating=>5

and any player who had a lower rating which was given somehow by some form of award system (Multiplayer) simply couldnt fly it

This could be used for any vehicle, weapon etc

So in other words, a veteran player could fly the transport choppers, whereas a noob would have to be a passnger

Yes, as long as that person could drive/ fly if they were the only one left/ all on same ranking

yes perhaps.

It would basically be a mapper edited item though, so not necessarily incorporated into coops etc

I was thinking more on a ladder map or public PVP game

Ookay, a few more requests from me, but these I know all of CoC would enjoy:

Dialogs

[*]Perhaps a VB style editor for dialogs and actions/properties associated with them. If not, at least a graphical dialog editor and save/load option.

[*]Ability to load an active map with onMapSingleClick capabilites as another dialog resource. (an area in dialog)

[*]Ability to create brand new dialog components during runtime, and to change all properties of the new dialog objects.

[*]Ability to bind(/define) keys to different dialog resources and options. EX: assign 4 directional buttons to the arrow keys when dialog is active.

That's it for now, I'll see if we can't get more suggestions on this from other CoC members.

Maybe this option is already in OFP, i don't know it!

- Add the abbility for editor to direct configure a units team-tag.  I mean a way to put in script what the "Join" waypoint does in OFP1.

Using it with a script text, you're absolutly sure a unit is gettin' in a team where you want it. "Deleting" it from his old team. You also have to be able to select his position in the team, depending on its rank. IF the editor makes an mistake choosing a team which is full, there must be an error message, and editor must correct fault.

1) Some additional options boxes in server pre game start up

we have the param 1 and param 2 boxes now, but it would be nice if we could have a couple more simply for potential use

2) And a totally modifiable scoring system, so that we could (If the mapper wanted) get away from players trying to score kill points instead of objective points without having to script our own scoring system into the map

(Eg tyhe score sheet that comes up at the very end of the mission, that folks look at to see who scored the highest

Default mode is ok for a DM, TDM, but there are other map types where this is not the be all and end all of the game

I want a new function or something that makes turning off lights very very easy.

I want a new function or something that makes turning off lights very very easy.

An M16 shooting on it!

What about enableIA? There's disableAI but where is enableAI?

The ability to change the model of the player during SP missions (disguise, spionage)

something like...

Civ setmodel "WBsoldier"

getmodel, typeofmodel...lol

so maybe this idea isnt exactly scripting, but its editor related:

custom shapes

"what the hell do you mean fool!?"

well for example: triggers, right now its either square or circle right? well I personally would like to see custom shapes... same with markers

to explain further what i mean, say you have a radar on the side of a hill and you want to mark its field of view on the map, sure you could put a nice big circle around it... but it cant actually see that full circle can it? so instead you would have the shape lob-sided, ie one side flat to show that the hill blocks the radar, yet facing outward would be its full range... those of you who have played Falcon 4 will know what i mean (on map: Threats>low alt radar/airdefence)

screenshot of what i mean

so the first unit would know about the second unit for X amount of time before "forgetting" about them?

IA triggers. Basic feelings, stress, quiet...

When you ear an explosion when you are secure == stress.

Simply way for the player : in stress trigger fire is harder...

But IA triggers with a life, initial state but a life. All of this relates to in sand it's harder to walk, when it's raining I'm not happy, etc....

This is NOT relates to OFP AI, only with player.

With AI triggers introduce maintenance problem and so on. After explosion near your vehicle you can have random problems (just like in real life...)

so the first unit would know about the second unit for X amount of time before "forgetting" about them?

Well have you used the existing reveal command? It basically makes it a little more useful, allowing you to specify the amount of time the reveal is to be active and the amount of info the reveal should share. smile_o.gif

For solve the debate anti-cheating /scripting a command (?). Anti-cheating kills scripting, for this you don't want wide open some possible commands, I think it's not the good debate.

Script for scripters

Cheat for cheaters

I know MP is your main market target... But....

there should be an internal scripting program within the game to make things really simple for normal IQ'd people like me

I'd prefer it if they didnt change the way its done around too much, as i'd have to relearn it all again :P

Quote[/b] ]IA triggers. Basic feelings, stress, quiet...

When you ear an explosion when you are secure == stress.

Simply way for the player : in stress trigger fire is harder...

But IA triggers with a life, initial state but a life. All of this relates to in sand it's harder to walk, when it's raining I'm not happy, etc....

This is NOT relates to OFP AI, only with player.

With AI triggers introduce maintenance problem and so on. After explosion near your vehicle you can have random problems (just like in real life...)

I agree, this would make things like supressing fire alot more realistic as well....i mean, bullets are whizzing round you, your gonna be under cover most of the time (instead of dropping flat like OFP units), popping up occasionally to fire off a few rounds in the enemies general direction.

Well, maybe I'm the only one not satisfied with the current unpredictability concerning scripting of vehicle movement ... but I would really appreciate being able to "record" my own control input so I could e.g. do a low-level flight in a helicopter and let the AI "playback" my maneuvers during a mission.

Another point would be accessability of files:

I think that it should be possible to access remote files (via http) and that FS-links (on Windows and Unix) should be supported so I don't have to store all my audio-files on my ofp-partition (at least not during mission-editing).

... that was my two cents ;)

The scripting in OFP, as of now, is by far awsome. Just about anything can be possible with much work put into it.

One thing however I would like to see added:

The ability to compile your addons with the mission or campaign files, so there is no need to constantly search the fansites for addons, when half the time they dont even work

(like ofp.info) unless you click the download button about 10 times or more.

The scripting in OFP, as of now, is by far awsome.  Just about anything can be possible with much work put into it.

One thing however I would like to see added:

The ability to compile your addons with the mission or campaign files, so there is no need to constantly search the fansites for addons, when half the time they dont even work

(like ofp.info) unless you click the download button about 10 times or more.

I think it is a better idea to have an auto downloader. This means you click to download a mission and it will scan your OFP folder to see if you have all the correct addons and then ask if you want to download the missing ones. The OGN server already uses this as an executable file on your harddrive but maybe a web based version which runs when clicked would be appropriate.

I just don't want to be doubling up on addons by having them integrated in the mission.